Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I don't think there's enough Trek fans left to keep a show on the air. Reviews I've read sum it up as not funny and bad star trek.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It depends where it goes. If it stays on Sunday nights it might just get enough from that block.

Simpsons, Family Guy and Bob's Burgers return October 1st but Orville is a 60 minute show, so it doesn't fit there unless they put Bob's Burgers at 7:30 again.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Lurdiak posted:

It's probably going to be a huge hit because of all the Star Trek sadbrains who are still mad about the reboot.

The Orville thread is pretty magical

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I haven't followed it much, did Seth give The Orville its own hyper stereotypical Sulu as a main character or is he gonna save that for a guest character?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

sexpig by night posted:

I haven't followed it much, did Seth give The Orville its own hyper stereotypical Sulu as a main character or is he gonna save that for a guest character?

Myyy Word

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

sexpig by night posted:

so here's the thing

The Orville isn't actually a parody or satire

He just made a star trek show with jokes, so it's a sci-fi show on fox. That's why people thing it's not long for this world.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Blockhouse posted:

so here's the thing

The Orville isn't actually a parody or satire

He just made a star trek show with jokes, so it's a sci-fi show on fox. That's why people thing it's not long for this world.

Well that and apparently it's really bad.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Like that's stopped him before. Even The Cleveland Show got multiple seasons.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
It got multiple seasons because it was a Family Guy spin off and people watched it, which is all that mattered. A live action sci-fi comedy on Fox is already basically doomed even if it were "good", which for both sci-fi and comedy is wildly subjective.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

X-O posted:

Well that and apparently it's really bad.

Yeah we got that at "Seth McFarlane"

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
It's actually amusing how full of himself Seth McFarlane is, and how desperate he is to make himself a leading man despite being a black hole for charisma. Seth McFarlane looks how I'd imagine a Terminator to look in real life; dead, loveless eyes and a face like a plastic doll's.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Rough Lobster posted:

It's actually amusing how full of himself Seth McFarlane is, and how desperate he is to make himself a leading man despite being a black hole for charisma. Seth McFarlane looks how I'd imagine a Terminator to look in real life; dead, loveless eyes and a face like a plastic doll's.

That's a pretty weirdly

tame thing to say about that prick.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He's a better lead than Shatner though.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Bleeding Cool is reporting that Evan Goldberg and Seth Rogen are EPing an adaption of The Boys for Amazon. It was a straight to series order with Eric Kripke writing the pilot.

So, we'll see if anyone else reports it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

zoux posted:

Bleeding Cool is reporting that Evan Goldberg and Seth Rogen are EPing an adaption of The Boys for Amazon. It was a straight to series order with Eric Kripke writing the pilot.

I saw it on FB the other night, maybe comicbook.com? Just the thought of Rogen makes me cringe but Kripke gives me hope.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
The true question will be, can they get Simon Pegg, and if so, is he too old for the role?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Rhyno posted:

I saw it on FB the other night, maybe comicbook.com? Just the thought of Rogen makes me cringe but Kripke gives me hope.

Isn't he only EPing it like Preacher. Unless Preacher makes you cringe I guess.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Speaking of Pegg, I had a lovely dream last night that Edgar Wright remade The Terminator and set it in London. Sarah Connor was in a garage band and Simon Pegg played Kyle Reese, dying when Arnie shoots him in the face with a grenade launcher outside the comic shop in Camden Town. All the nearby market traders cheered and the Terminator gives up looking for Sarah and takes over a nearby fruit & veg stall in an attempt to find meaning in its existence.

Still better than Salvation.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

The Orville thread is pretty magical

you weren't kidding

quote:

So I enjoyed the hell out of that. Yes, the jokes felt weak, and it shows they were basically all in the trailers, but the more Trek stuff was good. It all looks fantastic (I love the cycling red lights on the ceiling for red alert),

e:

zoux posted:

Huh, though Adam Mckay was working on it.

Their work on Preacher doesn't inspire me with confidence.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Sep 12, 2017

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.
There was discussion quite a few pages back about The Tick show and whether or not there had been as much focus on Arthur and his problems and his heroes journey and all that in previous iterations. I think it's a reflection of the fact that the show is spoofing modern superhero movies and tv shows specifically this time around. Naturally, it's going to be all tragic backstories and angsty inner conflict, but The Tick definitely doesn't do that sort of thing so it's got to be Arthur. Somebody on Twitter put it pretty well, the show is like a gritty reboot for everybody except The Tick himself.

I can't wait for more. I've loved every iteration of the Tick but all the Adam West in Serafinowicz's performance that is just too perfect.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Perry Normal posted:

There was discussion quite a few pages back about The Tick show and whether or not there had been as much focus on Arthur and his problems and his heroes journey and all that in previous iterations. I think it's a reflection of the fact that the show is spoofing modern superhero movies and tv shows specifically this time around. Naturally, it's going to be all tragic backstories and angsty inner conflict, but The Tick definitely doesn't do that sort of thing so it's got to be Arthur. Somebody on Twitter put it pretty well, the show is like a gritty reboot for everybody except The Tick himself.

I can't wait for more. I've loved every iteration of the Tick but all the Adam West in Serafinowicz's performance that is just too perfect.

I think it's a conscious choice to do a different version of the show than the other two. Also it's easier for the audience to relate to Arthur than to the Tick, who is nuts.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

zoux posted:

I think it's a conscious choice to do a different version of the show than the other two. Also it's easier for the audience to relate to Arthur than to the Tick, who is nuts.

I think it's the previous live-action version that's the outlier version, actually. The original comic, the cartoon and the new show are all pretty direct spoofs on superhero comics, cartoons and tv shows/movies, respectively. The Warburton version, though hilarious, is a sitcom set in a silly superhero world. It felt like it was spoofing sitcoms, if anything.

You're totally right about Arthur being the audience insert character though.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

How'd Preacher s2 end up? Worth buying for $20 on iTunes or should I just wait til it's on Netflix?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I haven't finished yet, but I'm enjoying it, and I'd say it's better than the first season. Literal Hitler's a character!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Do you mean Adolf Hitler, or a character named Literal Hitler.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

The former. Literally, Adolph Hitler is a character.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Endless Mike posted:

The former. Literally, Adolph Hitler is a character.

Yes, he's quite a character, that Hitler. But is he in this game?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I really need to rewatch Legion: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJvcujkpp68

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

You and me both.

I completely forgot about the Bollywood routine.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Lurdiak posted:

Who the gently caress else would it be? JESUS CHRIST BSS YOU CAN'T TAKE A JOKE BUT YOU AREN'T THIS DENSE.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Nice meltdown

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
There's a new rumor that Marvel Studios has put a Power Pack film back in development.

I don't believe this, personally - the property just seems too far removed tonally from anything else Marvel Studios has done to date - but make of it what you will.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Well I mean we've got Gifted, Runaways, Cloak and Dagger and one or two young X-men movies coming out, I could see them wanting to get that one at least looked at

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/909904932215578625

Frank as a slasher movie escapee wouldn't have been my first thought, but I'm on board so far.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Cythereal posted:

https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/909904932215578625

Frank as a slasher movie escapee wouldn't have been my first thought, but I'm on board so far.

I was thinking more PTSD suffering John Rambo à la First Blood

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Frank killing military personnel is quite a departure thisll be interesting

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

site posted:

Frank killing military personnel is quite a departure thisll be interesting

The main group of bad guys is supposed to be a PMC headed by a former Marine and old comrade of Frank's, so these might be mercenaries rather than actual military.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

https://instagram.com/p/BZO0ijeDh43/

Looks like Lindelof's Watchmen is a go.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Klungar posted:

https://instagram.com/p/BZO0ijeDh43/

Looks like Lindelof's Watchmen is a go.

That's going to make so many people angry, I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Still think Greengrasses idea to make it contemporary was a better way to go.