Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Aethernet posted:

Noticed this in bug fixes:

I hope you all like additional micro in the late game, when your fleet with thousands of corvettes will have to be six separate fleets. It's not a great deal of extra micro, but this feels like the sort of change that could've waited for a proper war-focused patch. Hopefully ship cost changes will mean that megafleets are no longer a thing.

I think in combination with the other changes to the way fleets work the 500 ship cap won't be that big an issue. They're already essentially killing naked vette spam. More importantly they're also changing how much star bases affect fleet cap. According to the patch notes this should mean slightly larger early-mid game fleets, significantly smaller late game fleets. If that's the case 500 ship fleets might not that crazy of a ceiling.

I wonder how much of this is being done as a bandaid solution to the performance issues? Those huge fleets just destroy the engine, especially if two of them ever clash. Having fewer aggregate ships might also help with the late game slowdown problems.

I personally also hope this means a shift to individual ships being more important. Star Trek New Horizons does a great job with making each ship feel significant. There's a mod out there that also roughly quadruples all of the costs (minerals, fleet cap, etc) and stats (HP, weapons, etc) for ships which basically quarters the number of ships running around while not loving balance too badly, with the notable side effect that all the event ships and random space animals now suck (leviathans still seem to be balanced right for it, possibly because they were always geared towards requiring certain fleet power).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

DatonKallandor posted:

She's also going Biological Ascenscion path for some reason.

Definitely got 'The Many' vibe from the hivemind voice set.

Conskill posted:

I think SHODAN might be broken.

Ok, you're hearby deputized to tell her she needs a patch.

Have fun!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Conskill posted:

I think SHODAN might be broken.

Uh she seems perfectly rational and not at all screwed up even a little bit, idk what you're talking about

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
im assuming that's a no on the strike craft, cause while i can find people out there talking about the missile fix, there's not much of anything about strike craft outside of some stat changes. guess i'll have to wait for that body pillow dlc :sigh:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Strike craft have their own fire rate because they have their own technology for boosting it, and their evasion is more like torpedo evasion so I doubt ship evasion has anything to do with it.

The patch is presumably buffing replacement rates substantially to achieve the multiple wing launches.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Is there gotta go fast fighter tech?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Aethernet posted:

I hope you all like additional micro in the late game, when your fleet with thousands of corvettes will have to be six separate fleets. It's not a great deal of extra micro, but this feels like the sort of change that could've waited for a proper war-focused patch. Hopefully ship cost changes will mean that megafleets are no longer a thing.

Stop building corvette-only fleets? Once I unlock cruisers I can pretty much stop building corvettes entirely.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

How does this naked corvette fleet work? I use it to keep things away from my battleship doomstack or what?

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
Strike craft will now be launched in waves from carriers during battle rather than just once at the start, I think. That's a change. Beyond that I don't keep track of what's horribly broken about strike craft.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

crazypeltast52 posted:

How does this naked corvette fleet work? I use it to keep things away from my battleship doomstack or what?

Never used them myself but from calculations done by others the basic corvettes were the cheapest option available through the game when you factored the increasing costs of each component and build times for each class of ship.

You would lose a lot but still come out ahead due to the low cost and build speed of your fleet.

It was not advisable to use one gigantic fleet though, splitting them up allowed them to maneuver faster and get into firing position quickly. (Otherwise you would have a fleet the width of a star system slowly get chewed up without firing a shot back as they sllllllowly got I to firing position)

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

crazypeltast52 posted:

No you just build literally nothing but 5,000 naked corvettes and Zerg the other guy to death

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Crazycryodude posted:

No you just build literally nothing but 5,000 naked corvettes and Zerg the other guy to death

Yeah it's this, because if I have 800 fleet cap I can build a fleet of 100 battleships but you can build 800 corvettes and have basically the same fleet power for less cost. On top of that if it's not enough it's actually very cheap to just build more naked corvette and go over the fleet cap.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

crazypeltast52 posted:

Yeah, it was simply that corvettes with the weakest weapon and no upgrades were more cost efficient in terms of power-to-mineral ratio than fully tricked out ones so you'd spam those and beat people with weight of numbers. They've balanced it so that the base cost of the hull is higher while the upgrades are cheaper.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Kitchner posted:

Yeah it's this, because if I have 800 fleet cap I can build a fleet of 100 battleships but you can build 800 corvettes and have basically the same fleet power for less cost. On top of that if it's not enough it's actually very cheap to just build more naked corvette and go over the fleet cap.

but then you build a flak turret and the corvettes are turbofucked. :v:

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Kitchner posted:

This breaks down when you bring stuff like kinetic artillery into the mix. Battleships can kill corvettes from outside the corvettes' engagement range.

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

Truga posted:

but then you build a flak turret and the corvettes are turbofucked. :v:

What's flak going to do against railguns?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

imweasel09 posted:

What's flak going to do against railguns?

Flak targets corvettes and has all the tracking in the world. Corvettes don't stand a chance in a straight up hitpoint fight.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

crazypeltast52 posted:

Basically, cheap low-tech things were overwhelmingly more cost-effective than not-cheap expensive things. Particularly for weapons - for example, a tier 2 laser costs twice as much as a tier 1 laser but only does 10-25% more damage. Armor has pretty much the exact same problem. Shields didn't have this issue, but the reactors you needed to power them did. As a result, you'd actually get the most bang for your buck if you built stripped-down corvettes with the lowest-tier weapons and no defensive technology - they wouldn't perform as well as the enemy ships would, but they'd be so much cheaper that the extra ships you could build more than made up for it.

Module costs are being rebalanced in the upcoming patch, so hopefully that won't be the case anymore.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Truga posted:

Flak targets corvettes and has all the tracking in the world. Corvettes don't stand a chance in a straight up hitpoint fight.

Flak has 50% tracking, which is more than other M weapons but most small weapons have 60%. Flak doesn't really have impressive dps. Cloud lightning tears corvettes apart though but I'm not sure anyone actually uses it. Arc emitters are also very good against vettes but you can only have one per battleship.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Corvettes have garbage range and you can shred a bunch of them before they ever close, then hit run away and do it again. BBs aren't ideal for it though.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

How likely is it that Utopia goes on sale during SD's release? I just finished a campaign and so tempted to buy it right now so I can start a new one :negative:

Also how is Leviathans? Worth it?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I've never used cloud lightning, because by the time I have it I already have much better weapons. It's usually a hassle to unlock it too. Is it any good?

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Only against pure corvettes, pretty much. The raw dps is worse than starting weapons, so the enemy needs a lot of evasion before the 100 accuracy and tracking make them worthwhile.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Away all Goats posted:

How likely is it that Utopia goes on sale during SD's release? I just finished a campaign and so tempted to buy it right now so I can start a new one :negative:

Also how is Leviathans? Worth it?
It's 20% off from their web store right now!

https://www.paradoxplaza.com/stellaris-utopia/STST01ESK0000001.html

Leviathans and the plantoids pack are both 50% off. Leviathans is well worth $5 (or whatever it is, I'm not in dollarland), and as cosmetic DLCs go Plantoids is solid for the price.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Sep 15, 2017

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

How many versions of the different ship types should I use? I usually just make one of each kind because it becomes annoying to see how many of each I have in the fleet window and the ship designer if I make more.

Staltran posted:

Only against pure corvettes, pretty much. The raw dps is worse than starting weapons, so the enemy needs a lot of evasion before the 100 accuracy and tracking make them worthwhile.
Ah, thanks.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

* Mastery of Nature is now more like "We've Got A Pretty Strong Grip On Nature"

ok, I lol'd

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

crazypeltast52 posted:

Battleships suck compared to their same cost in corvettes. It's just basic math here. Your cool doom laser or tachyon cannon or whatever you've got does significantly less damage than a corvette with plasma and maybe some kinetics. Also, the corvette will occasionally dodge your doom laser, but you're never going to dodge their fire.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Truga posted:

Didn't a goon make a bunch of really loving good robot portraits? Just use those.

fake edit: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=891425376

I disagree with your assessment that these are really loving good because they don't fit in with the game's art style at all.

Now commence the multipage argument.

Splicer posted:

It's 20% off from their web store right now!

https://www.paradoxplaza.com/stellaris-utopia/STST01ESK0000001.html

Leviathans and the plantoids pack are both 50% off. Leviathans is well worth $5 (or whatever it is, I'm not in dollarland), and as cosmetic DLCs go Plantoids is solid for the price.

For actual content, is the probable sale for release likely to be any better than 20% for Utopia?

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

Midnight Voyager posted:

I disagree with your assessment that these are really loving good because they don't fit in with the game's art style at all.

Now commence the multipage argument.

For actual content, is the probable sale for release likely to be any better than 20% for Utopia?

Pfft no argument required - they're made by cutting and pasting stock photos. If I had a lick of painting talent I'd have them match nicer, but they're all decidedly good enough for me, rather than properly good.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Playstation 4 posted:

What the unholy gently caress did I unleash on this thread.

I mean, everything is my fault, after all.

Fleet Consciousness Would Have Won

You unleashed the AI revolt crisis before the patch hit :mad: now we will have to deal with random floods of badposts until the random rare tech that stops it pops.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Expansion hits on the 22nd right?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Improbable Lobster posted:

Expansion hits on the 22nd right?

I believe it is listed as the 21st actually.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

binge crotching posted:

I believe it is listed as the 21st actually.

Yeah it launches on Thursday, because I'm off work Tuesday and Wednesday :(

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

500 ships per fleet works for me because I always have multiple fleets anyway. It's bad rear end to split them up and come in at different angles. Makes you feel like a real smart guy. Also I love the changes to strikecraft, carriers, missiles, pd, and flak. 1.8 is gonna be fuuuun! :getin:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

wiegieman posted:

This breaks down when you bring stuff like kinetic artillery into the mix. Battleships can kill corvettes from outside the corvettes' engagement range.

On the other hand, most of the long ranged weapons also have very poor tracking and thus will miss half the time, a basic corvette gets quite high damage mitigation against some of the heaviest weaponry, by virtue of being a corvette.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Wolfechu posted:

Yeah it launches on Thursday, because I'm off work Tuesday and Wednesday :(

I know you mean you're aware of this because of your days off, but I like the reading that you told Paradox when you're off work and Wiz deliberately hosed you over.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Mister Adequate posted:

I know you mean you're aware of this because of your days off, but I like the reading that you told Paradox when you're off work and Wiz deliberately hosed you over.

Oh no, you were right. Somehow Wiz got wind of my work schedule, and has done this to upset me, and specifically me.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Wolfechu posted:

Oh no, you were right. Somehow Wiz got wind of my work schedule, and has done this to upset me, and specifically me.

It was me. I told him I didn't have work on Friday. :smug:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Wolfechu posted:

:rip:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I wonder if you could do some kind of Fanatic Pacifist strategy where you take Feudal Realm as your third civic and then just vassalize the living poo poo out of the galaxy. Or maybe it would require regular pacifism? Idk I just like the idea of a super advanced mid sized pacifist utopia reigning over a semi-autonomous feudalized galaxy. :shobon:

What I'm saying is patch features look reel gud

• Locked thread