Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Pivo posted:

I exclusively use Equifax's password manager.

It's me I'm your personal password manager representative. Could you verify your account with me to unlock access.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Over There posted:

Yes that's what I meant. I know there are plenty of people out there who have no idea that they aren't actually getting the phone for $80, but I'm happy with the upgrade I'm getting because it's the same payment starting over at 2 years, and then next year I can decide if I would like to do it again or if I would like to wait and pay it off.

I rescind my comment and pass it onto the next person who does fall into the trap.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Khablam posted:

"I'm not actually paying for it!" is what caused the financial collapse.
How can people still be this dumb?

hint: if you upgrade, you're in for the payments for another year. You pay for it.

This is a real dumb post

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Man, I accidentally preordered the wrong phone last night. Woke up, got it cancelled and ordered the one I wanted for launch day. The X is gonna be a pain in the rear end to get.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

The apple buyback in the 6s is $215... I'm not seeing anything about getting 50% of original value..am I misreading things?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

ethanol posted:

The apple buyback in the 6s is $215... I'm not seeing anything about getting 50% of original value..am I misreading things?

The 6S is 2 years old though.

What I am specifically talking about is: If you are on a 0% financing plan like the AUP, and you trade-in at 12 months (to start a new 2 year 0% financing plan), you are effectively selling your phone for 50% of the original financed value. Since you are giving up your phone and they are giving up the rest of the payments, which are 50% of your total payments... it is the same as selling it for 50% and paying off the loan early ...

I am seeling that the 6S 64GB unlocked can still sell for ~400 CAD on eBay, which is ~44% of the original launch price in Canada. So taking 50% for it 12 months ago would have been losing some money, and that generally holds true for most iPhone releases.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Edit: Me = Dumb

The Dave fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Sep 15, 2017

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Does att still unlock your phone after you finish he payments ?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

The Dave posted:

The iPhone X wasn't even in Apple's marketing email. Supply must be 12.

Isn't this because they aren't doing preorders until late October?

ethanol posted:

He meant 50% of it's original value. Because of Apple's Upgrade Program you trade in your current phone for the newer model and then essentially restart a new 24 finance term with the option to upgrade to the new model again in 12 months.

The argument to be made though is using their Upgrade Program worth your time and convenience instead of getting say $xxx for whatever phone you sell yourself? Doing a quick search reveals that the 128gb 7 model sells for about $300 less than it debuted for ($750).

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

ethanol posted:

Does att still unlock your phone after you finish he payments ?

Yes. They're legally required to.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Consummate Professional posted:

Man, I accidentally preordered the wrong phone last night. Woke up, got it cancelled and ordered the one I wanted for launch day. The X is gonna be a pain in the rear end to get.

Oh my god I was so worried I was going to do this. I had to triple check to make sure I ordered the plus model in my sluggish state at 3 AM

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
I was fully prepared to get way behind on the preorder list but I was happily surprised. Thanks Tim!

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Yeah, I had analysis paralysis at 3:00-4:00 am PST about which size to get, but ended up with a space grey 64 GB 8+. Figure after 3 years I still had 25+ GB available and as others pointed out, I can simply use Google Photos or such to back up and manage picture and video storage.

At that time only the 256 GB Space Grey was pushed back... and that still appears to be the case now. Either they've heavily produced these, or sales are going to be way down (initially).

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Fiance works at an apple store and he says people are pouring into the store to see the 8 and X and getting furious. :cripes:

Like coming from over TWO HOURS away

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Over There posted:

Fiance works at an apple store and he says people are pouring into the store to see the 8 and X and getting furious. :cripes:

What are they getting furious at?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

SourKraut posted:

Well they're not there.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Over There posted:

I'd love to work at an Apple Store Fruit Stand Apple Town House Centre on days like this.

"I WANNA SEE THE NEW TOY NOW!!!!"

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Ordered a 256GB 8+ space gray. Debated hard about waiting for an X to replace my aging regular 6, but at the end of the day the notch bugged me and TBH I'd rather let other people go nuts on the bleeding edge train.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

SourKraut posted:

Pivo posted:

Well they're not there.

This. They thought they would all be available to play with after the keynote.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

kefkafloyd posted:

TBH I'd rather let other people go nuts on the bleeding edge train.

choo choo motherfuckerssss

Actually I bought the 4 which was a major revision and the 4 was pretty - loving - awesome. I guess I was holding it right.

I'm worried FaceID might suck. I'm worried the OLED screen will be insanely expensive to replace. All the other tech is proven though so, all aboard! It is kinda scary spending this much money on a 1st gen Apple product. I caution my friends not to. "Do as I say, not as I do"

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Well I'm glad we have you :3:

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
*Do Not Disturb Question*

I'd like to be able to put my phone into a mode where I get no alerts (no sounds, vibrations, banner notifications, etc.)

It seems like Do Not Disturb is supposed to do that, but it doesn't seem to be working. Banner notifications from Google Inbox, etc still show up.

What am I doing wrong?

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Pivo posted:

I'm worried FaceID might suck. I'm worried the OLED screen will be insanely expensive to replace. All the other tech is proven though so, all aboard! It is kinda scary spending this much money on a 1st gen Apple product. I caution my friends not to. "Do as I say, not as I do"

I bought the first iPhone and hung on to it until I got a 4S, which was replaced with a release-day 128GB 6. I've also bought the first white Macbook and other first gen apple products.

But that notch... :mad: Also I admit my impatience over getting a new phone is getting the best of me.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

kefkafloyd posted:

But that notch... :mad: Also I admit my impatience over getting a new phone is getting the best of me.

idk man I think these people are crazy, the notch only looks like poo poo in landscape, and who uses iPhone in landscape? I don't mind it on Essential Phone and I don't mind it here, I like how the UI colours bleed through into the status bar.

Oh, did you guys know, the status bar isn't going to double in size now when you have an active call or when you are sharing your connection? It's just going to be a rounded fill around the clock.

I think it looks pretty sweet in portrait mode and I literally never turn off orientation lock, so as far as my decision for myself goes, the notch is no thang at all.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

[quote="“dexter6”" post="“476436519”"]
*Do Not Disturb Question*

I’d like to be able to put my phone into a mode where I get no alerts (no sounds, vibrations, banner notifications, etc.)

It seems like Do Not Disturb is supposed to do that, but it doesn’t seem to be working. Banner notifications from Google Inbox, etc still show up.

What am I doing wrong?
[/quote]

You need to make sure it’s set to Always and not just when locked in the DND settings

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Pivo posted:

idk man I think these people are crazy, the notch only looks like poo poo in landscape, and who uses iPhone in landscape?

Tons of popular games run in landscape and often videos are best viewed in landscape. Outside of games I rarely switch to landscape, but it's hardly ridiculous people would want their $1319 CAD phone to not look ridiculous in landscape.

The notch is Sarnsung level amateur hour bullshit.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

Quantum of Phallus posted:

You need to make sure it’s set to Always and not just when locked in the DND settings
Thanks, that was it!

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

BGrifter posted:

Tons of popular games run in landscape and often videos are best viewed in landscape. Outside of games I rarely switch to landscape, but it's hardly ridiculous people would want their $1319 CAD phone to not look ridiculous in landscape.

The notch is Sarnsung level amateur hour bullshit.

It's Essential who did the notch first, not Samsung :P

Widescreen videos are 16:9 (mostly), the iPhone X is 19:9 (ish... it's >19:9 <20:9), so 16:9 videos are pillar boxed by default. The notch will not be in your videos unless you zoom in, but you'll lose vertical pixels doing that, so you'd be shooting yourself in the foot. As for the games, all they have to do is move their controls away from it into the Safe Area. I think most games will get away with just displaying black outside of the Safe Area, or overdrawing into it so you'll see it, but hopefully you're too engaged to notice. I don't play many games on the phone, so I wouldn't really care. I don't see games being rejected because they draw only to the rectangular safe area and just put black outside of it, but they have the option of drawing there too.

I should note that I'm coming from iPhone 3G -> iPhone 4 -> iPhone 6S so even just the Safe Area of the iPhone X will be the same size as I'm used to, just higher pixel density. Any overdraw is just gravy.

Pivo fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Sep 15, 2017

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I'm not saying Apple is going to nail this one and everything will be perfect. The price is stupid, TouchID worked too well to just get rid of, FaceID is an unknown. I'm just saying the notch hate is probably less important than we think it is.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Pivo posted:

I'm not saying Apple is going to nail this one and everything will be perfect. The price is stupid, TouchID worked too well to just get rid of, FaceID is an unknown. I'm just saying the notch hate is probably less important than we think it is.

It's going to be different for everyone. The X has way too many drawbacks and compromises for me to be interested but personally I think the notch is only ugly in landscape. Some people will get used to it or don't care but others simply won't buy a $1000 phone with a notch.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I don't have a fiduciary interest in AAPL outside of my interest in S&P in general so I'm not trying to convince you to buy the thing. It IS too expensive. If I could live without iMessage and Handoff, I'd be rocking an S8+. That's a drat good phone.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Pivo posted:

I'm sure the notch hate is a bit exaggerated by what an echo chamber the internet tends to be, but at that price it's not unreasonable to expect a device without all the compromises you describe. $999 in the US doesn't sound half as bad as $1319 in Canada. That price point is cringeworthy for a phone.

On some level I think Apple might be hurt by making the iPhone 8 as good as it is. I expected a better processor in the X for one. It feels like the 8 gets most of the major features without the compromises and at an easier to stomach price.

That said I'm sure they'll still sell a gazillion iPhone X and 8s.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Pivo posted:

I don't have a fiduciary interest in AAPL outside of my interest in S&P in general so I'm not trying to convince you to buy the thing. It IS too expensive. If I could live without iMessage and Handoff, I'd be rocking an S8+. That's a drat good phone.

What are use handoff for? We just got a Mac and I'm curious to know how to utilize it

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Over There posted:

What are use handoff for? We just got a Mac and I'm curious to know how to utilize it

Open a web page on your phone, get a little icon on your macbook to click and open that same page in safari in case you want it on the big screen.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

What compromises does the X have in regards to screen size other than just not liking how the notch looks? What’s this I’m reading about it having a smaller screen view then even a smaller 6/7/8 in some cases?

I would just get a plus instead but I had a 7 Plus briefly and I loving hated carrying and holding that slab. I just want that portrait camera.:(

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

xzzy posted:

Open a web page on your phone, get a little icon on your macbook to click and open that same page in safari in case you want it on the big screen.

Is it just safari or does it do other apps?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

xzzy posted:

Yeah that I guess but I'm also referring to being able to reply to SMS on your Mac or Wifi-only iPad, or take cellular calls on your Mac. I think they call those "Text Message Forwarding" and "Continuity" but regardless they're great, if you spend a lot of time in front of a Mac.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Over There posted:

Is it just safari or does it do other apps?

iOS -> Mac does it for other apps because they use the WebView control but my Chrome tabs on macOS don't show up in Safari iOS, which is OK.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

SeANMcBAY posted:

What’s this I’m reading about it having a smaller screen view then even a smaller 6/7/8 in some cases?

In landscape mode, the little 'home swipe indicator' at the bottom of the screen robs you of vertical pixels vs. a 7 but only if you render exclusively inside the Safe Area; as a developer you can draw under it, you can hide it, you can even accept swipe up gestures and lock it out unless the user swipes up twice. If you use the phone in landscape mode, that is a concern, but for videos/games/etc things that render in landscape to give you that widescreen view, generally won't be affected by it, since if you turn on edge protection and autohide it just goes away until a user is very explicit about going home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I’ve just started using the Gmail app again for work, I haven’t used it in years and can’t remember but is there anyway to sort message threads by newest at the top?