Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/yashar/status/908780976498671617

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Now that's how you do a racsexism.:stare:

I'm sure Huckabee-Sanders will be right on that.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

khy posted:

Weirdly enough given that SLC is the single most important location for the Mormon church, the culture in SLC is the least mormon in any place in the state of Utah. All the cities surrounding SLC are far, far, far worse about being rabidly mormon while the city itself, especially downtown, tends to be far less so. There's still a lot of mormons, don't get me wrong, but you're far more likely to encounter people of different religions (Or none at all) in the capital than anywhere else in the state. It's also quite liberal compared to the rest of the state which is HEAVILY conservative. If you were going to live anywhere in the state SLC is the best place to be for a non-mormon.

The worst part of SLC is the fact that the laws in Utah tend to be heavily influenced by mormon politics. For example : There's a group of laws called the Larry H Miller laws, where car dealerships must close on Sundays (Technically they can be open Saturday OR Sunday but not both) because LHM is a big mormon and was losing sales to the national dealerships which were open every day of the week. Then there's the Utah liquor laws which are some of the most restrictive in the US.

At least we have great skiing though.

The Mormons I know from non-SLC Utah are either crazy zealots who seem eager to fit every stereotype, or the most r/atheism haters of religion in general and Mormonism in particular on the planet. The Mormons I know from SLC and outside the state are almost entirely extremely cool, friendly, and serious about the "be good to each other" stuff, or they're chill Jack Mormons.

What I'm saying is yeah avoid Utah outside SLC, also flying through SLC is weird as hell because for someone like me from England the landscape is straight-up alien.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

lol this guy played into the dudebro stereotype so much he forgot that it was a stereotype

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Mister Adequate posted:

The Mormons I know from non-SLC Utah are either crazy zealots who seem eager to fit every stereotype, or the most r/atheism haters of religion in general and Mormonism in particular on the planet. The Mormons I know from SLC and outside the state are almost entirely extremely cool, friendly, and serious about the "be good to each other" stuff, or they're chill Jack Mormons.

What I'm saying is yeah avoid Utah outside SLC, also flying through SLC is weird as hell because for someone like me from England the landscape is straight-up alien.

Agreed. It's just bizarre that the city that is the center of mormon culture (Location of the main HQ, the biggest and most important temple, et al) is the least Mormon place in the state.

It kinda sucks because right now Utah's in a great place compared to so much of the rest of the country in terms of jobs, economy, housing and so on, but a lot of people are put off by some of the religious crazies we have here. And I don't blame them at all.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Footnote 6: "the statement was not intelligible when the recording was played during the trial" is pretty unfortunate. "The statement" is clear as loving day on lovely youtube vids.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Accretionist posted:

Yeah, it's limited in scope but the benefit is that it'd circumvent that bureaucracy and directly access/impact the officers in question. Presently, the cost of their malfeasance is an externality. The community pays, the community suffers. With mandatory 'malpractice insurance,' the individual officers pay and suffer, too.
It'd be a mechanism but it seems like it'd be a useful one. Hypothetically, such a system could even price psychos out of the profession.
I bet you could sell state governments on running this as a government sponsored enterprise. Quasi-private but a new source of revenue. The incentives line up for the state and the police to be forever at odds. Would that reduce risk of collusion? Seems possible
A serious work up on this could be pretty interesting.
It's never going to be a serious idea, because qualified immunity for civil servants is a good and necessary thing for a functioning government. Much like how no one would ever become an EPA inspector if Exxon could sue them in their individual capacity for millions of dollars in lost profits if they made a mistake (but it's what they signed up for!!!!!!!), no rational person (which are the ones we should ideally be recruiting for law enforcement...) would sign up to inject themselves into hot domestic violence situations and biker gang drug deals that didn't involve them if they could be held personally liable when things go south. The police put themselves in high risk situations on the orders of the state, for the benefit of the state, and the state is accountable for their hiring, training, and discipline, so liability should rest with the state. The idea of pricing problem officers out of the career already exists under this system; departments are incentivized to avoid hiring or retaining officers that have cost their department civil judgements in the past.

Javes posted:

Body cam records also need to be stored by a third party, or have have independent oversight.
When has this been a problem? I mean in terms of actual destruction of evidence. As it is now, spoliation of evidence rules seem to neatly cover the situation.

Ogmius815 posted:

Hey here is an idea: maybe we shouldn't adopt a slew of anti-defendant criminal procedure reforms just in one situation the bastard tends to get off?
Pretty much my take. "Create a lower standard of evidence/conviction for criminal charges based on who the defendant is" is probably unconstitutional, and definitely not a road we want to be going down.

A lot of people are proposing dismantling defendant protections in order to level the playing field against the structural advantages police officers enjoy, and it's just the wrong way to go about it. If you don't want juries to be biased against black defendants, then you need to work on making the jury pool, society as a whole, less racist. Some of those structural advantages are basically insurmountable as well: law enforcement officers are always going to be more familiar with the criminal justice system, be less likely to incriminate themselves, testify better, and have cleaner records than he average defendant.

In terms of fixes for the here-and-now, I'd say that having a standby crisis intervention team for mental health & DV calls is a great idea, and increased funding for implicit bias training and crisis intervention training would be good. I don't think either one would have helped in this case though.

This is pure fantasy though:

RuanGacho posted:

I would take it a step further and make a position that is literally there to make sure cops act as peace officers instead of state militia, like they have to be monitored on site or remotely at all times and can't pull weapons without that clearance.
Dangerous law enforcement contacts are going to be far to fluid for the officers to discuss each escalation of force with a social worker.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Dead Reckoning posted:

When has this been a problem? I mean in terms of actual destruction of evidence. As it is now, spoliation of evidence rules seem to neatly cover the situation.

you know how officers body cameras have a nasty habit of "stopping working" at moments of high tension, at the conclusion of which someone is dead

and for some reason this is not considered spoliation of evidence

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Ze Pollack posted:

you know how officers body cameras have a nasty habit of "stopping working" at moments of high tension, at the conclusion of which someone is dead

Can you provide a specific example of this?

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
it's just a mechanical fault, DR. after all, what incentive would the officers in question have to lie.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

RaySmuckles posted:

i think of denver and seattle as kind of sister cities.

but seattle's a lot bigger and more developed than denver is.

if anything, denver is the little sister

I'd like to point out that for several years in a row, MLS would schedule a game between the Sounders and the Rapids on the week of 4/20.

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

skylined! posted:

lol this guy played into the dudebro stereotype so much he forgot that it was a stereotype

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Dead Reckoning posted:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=officer+turns+off+body+cam Here ya go you lazy piece of poo poo

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
The free market will fix the justice system.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Mister Adequate posted:

Count south east Idaho as Utah here for consistency.

Boise's sort of the same way. The city itself is fairly liberal but turns beet red outside it. Except guns we loving love shooting stuff.

Please move here and spread your liberal/leftist agenda far and wide.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

:shrug: I believe in boobs too!!~

But seriously what the hell?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Dead Reckoning posted:

One of the most high profile police brutality cases this month with an NFL player Michael Bennett, the Las Vegas police officer conveniently had his body cam off.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
There are plenty of examples of officers turning off their body cameras in questionable situations, or thinking they had and incriminating themselves, but a 3rd party having access to the footage won't solve the issue of the footage not being collected in the first place. I'm asking for an example of when the department is alleged to have destroyed already collected evidence after the fact, which is the problem an outside body having access to the footage would solve.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Dead Reckoning posted:

There are plenty of examples of officers turning off their body cameras in questionable situations, or thinking they had and incriminating themselves, but a 3rd party having access to the footage won't solve the issue of the footage not being collected in the first place. I'm asking for an example of when the department is alleged to have destroyed already collected evidence after the fact, which is the problem an outside body having access to the footage would solve.

Watch those goal posts move. You originally quoted this post:

Ze Pollack posted:

but now you're asking for proof of destroyed footage not bodycams that fail to record.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Dead Reckoning posted:

No, you asked for a specfic examples of someone turning it off during high tension that was later lost when it may or may not have been incriminating. Also, you're a pedantic goal post moving piece of poo poo who is transparently desperate to defend murderers.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busi...m=.c8960d99f8d6

6th entry down, btw.

e: Feel free to address how the bolded part is actually the problem, but you won't

Unoriginal Name fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Sep 15, 2017

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
The post I originally quoted and was responding to was this:

Javes posted:

Body cam records also need to be stored by a third party, or have have independent oversight.
Which doesn't solve the issue of body cams being turned off. So I guess we're talking past each other.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

A bright spot in a sea of despair

https://twitter.com/gothicdogsclub/status/908370757713100806

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
my example of police questionable handling video evidence:

i had a friend get arrested after a car crash for a DUI. he did all the field sobriety tests but refused to blow because he didn't want a false positive. he says that during the tests he did a fine job completing them and was able to hold up a conversation with the police.

after he got cuffed and was being taken away he got very animated, as lots of people do, and was ranting and raving in the car on the way to the police station.

at his trial the police could only find the video tape of the part where he was in the car. somehow the video from the car pointed directly at him to light up the area he was supposed to do the field sobriety tests and when he was his most composed was missing! they couldn't find the one piece of evidence that could have helped exonerate him, but the footage of him in the back of the police car was, of course, available and shown at the trial.

he was found not guilty by some miracle, but that to me stood out as a perfect, everyday example of how the police can manipulate things like video evidence.

"oops, the one part that could have helped you is missing! here's the part that will incriminate you though.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

They're removed because their recovering, not extinct right?

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Crowsbeak posted:

They're removed because their recovering, not extinct right?

They were upgraded to "vulnerable", I think

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Good enough for me. I'd definitely support another county office having custody of the records.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Dead Reckoning posted:

Which doesn't solve the issue of body cams being turned off. So I guess we're talking past each other.

if a third party was in charge of the body cams then there would never be a need to turn them on or off. they'd just be on all the time and the incidents in question would be collected and sent to lawyers come trial time. this might have the added benefit of not letting cops watch the video and construct plausible alibis from that

logosanatic
Jan 27, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

tentative8e8op posted:

I'm looking frame by frame and it looks to me like the gun is pointing down and to the left as he pulls it out of the bag

my instincts say hes grabbing a gun to plant. but just looking at the video from a evidence perspective i dont know what he has in his hand

if i was a lawyer id want to videotape replicate that situation to see what a grainy gun held at an angle looks like

also does he put it in his pocket? because i read there was footage of him walking towards the victims car and there was nothing in his hand.

what did the defense say he was grabbing there?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Dead Reckoning posted:

The post I originally quoted and was responding to was this:

As technology advances hopefully we'll soon reach the point where it's feasible for them to just never be turned off, and livestream to an offsite third party.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

As technology advances hopefully we'll soon reach the point where it's feasible for them to just never be turned off, and livestream to an offsite third party.

goodness, isn't that the dream

logosanatic
Jan 27, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Koalas March posted:

This is the dumbest poo poo. Not only is it loving cruel to the homeless but abandoned houses are just gonna keep getting worse and depreciate. It's better to have someone living there and taking care of the place which I'm sure they'd be able to do especially if they had access to proper resources and mental health care.

theres no situation where a homeless person does anything but destroy a property and spread feces all over the walls. they are homeless for a reason. the few times ive sat down with homeless people to feed them and talked to them about helping them turn their life around ive anecdotally learned that its all substance abuse based. and theyre ok enough with their life. they have stolen cell phones they can connect to burger king wifi and scrounge together some food and money for drugs. sometimes the woman talk about wantint different life but cant kick the habit. the men just dont care

im down with a program that gives homeless people care though.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

It's possible now, I just don't know where I'm going to get the money to octuple the size of my storage array just for the dozen officers I support right now. It's not so simple as clouding it because it needs evidentiary custody and public records access.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

logosanatic posted:

theres no situation where a homeless person does anything but destroy a property and spread feces all over the walls. they are homeless for a reason. the few times ive sat down with homeless people to feed them and talked to them about helping them turn their life around ive anecdotally learned that its all substance abuse based. and theyre ok enough with their life. they have stolen cell phones they can connect to burger king wifi and scrounge together some food and money for drugs. sometimes the woman talk about wantint different life but cant kick the habit. the men just dont care

hooooooooly poo poo

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

RaySmuckles posted:

if a third party was in charge of the body cams then there would never be a need to turn them on or off. they'd just be on all the time and the incidents in question would be collected and sent to lawyers come trial time. this might have the added benefit of not letting cops watch the video and construct plausible alibis from that
If the purpose of the cameras is transparency, there isn't any reason why the police shouldn't be allowed to use the recordings in writing their reports. The only reason to withhold it is in hopes of catching the officers in a contradiction and encourages them to try to defeat the system. You want them to want to capture as much on camera as possible, because it will further serve to highlight situations where collection was questionable. Yeah, that's a double standard with how the cameras are used against suspects, but the fundamental issue is that government employees have a massively different relationship with their employer than private sector employees do, and you can't really dick around with that without setting up 5th Amendment conflicts.

Public records laws are tricky when you are trying to balance public interest against individual liberty. IMO, the best solution would be for each state to have an agency, maybe within the state Inspector General office or similar, that functions like the NTSB investigations that review CVR transcripts recordings and ensure that only material pertinent to safety/accident investigation is released; they could edit tape down to material relevant to the investigation in accordance with a judge's order, and blur faces of bystanders or what have you.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Sep 15, 2017

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

logosanatic posted:

Man, can we give you 2 custom titles somehow?

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

RuanGacho posted:

It's possible now, I just don't know where I'm going to get the money to octuple the size of my storage array just for the dozen officers I support right now. It's not so simple as clouding it because it needs evidentiary custody and public records access.

fewer tanks, more storage arrays.

with all that GWoT money, i don't think it'd be too hard to scrounge up the necessary resources.

logosanatic posted:

lmao. yes, substance abuse and mental illness are almost always linked in the line of social work. but taking the stance that these people are hopeless is stupid. like, what do you think social workers do? how important do you think reliable, safe shelter is for helping people turn their lives around? i'll give you a hint: its very important

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

logosanatic posted:

what did the defense say he was grabbing there?
Their version is that he was grabbing a hemostatic dressing to try to treat Smith, but when he got back to the Buick, whoops, he was dead. I have a hard time buying it, since after grabbing whatever it was, Stockley makes a quick walk around the Buick and then goes to have a pow-wow with the other officers.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Dead Reckoning posted:

If the purpose of the cameras is transparency, there isn't any reason why the police shouldn't be allowed to use the recordings in writing their reports. The only reason to withhold it is in hopes of catching the officers in a contradiction and encourages them to try to defeat the system. You want them to want to capture as much on camera as possible, because it will further serve to highlight situations where collection was questionable. Yeah, that's a double standard with how the cameras are used against suspects, but the fundamental issue is that government employees have a massively different relationship with their employer than private sector employees do, and you can't really dick around with that without setting up 5th Amendment conflicts.

Public records laws are tricky when you are trying to balance public interest against individual liberty. IMO, the best solution would be for each state to have an agency, maybe within the state Inspector General office or similar, that functions like the NTSB investigations that review CVR transcripts and ensure that only material pertinent to safety is released; they could edit tape down to material relevant to the investigation in accordance with a judge's order, and blur faces of bystanders or what have you.

remember back when police officers body cams mysteriously stopping working at moments of high tension wasn't actually a problem, as far as you were concerned

good times

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

logosanatic posted:

:extremely kramer voice and kramer mannerisms and just kramering everywhere:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Dead Reckoning posted:

Public records laws are tricky when you are trying to balance public interest against individual liberty. IMO, the best solution would be for each state to have an agency, maybe within the state Inspector General office or similar, that functions like the NTSB investigations that review CVR transcripts and ensure that only material pertinent to safety is released; they could edit tape down to material relevant to the investigation in accordance with a judge's order, and blur faces of bystanders or what have you.

i see no problem with this, other than linking the office with an elected official who may need police union sponsorship for his campaign (i can't remember if inspector generals are elected or not…).

• Locked thread