Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Yeah I think it's time to accept he's drop worthy. There just aren't any trades to make in my league.

Would you guys drop John Brown or CJ Prosise for Bilal Powell?

EDIT: Current thought is drop Brown for Paul Richardson, drop Prosise for Powell.

Yes. Drop Prosise for Powell. Anyone who dropped Powell is dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

CompeAnansi posted:

My wife dropped him after a week of me being sick and our toddler being insane. I told her to make a plea to the group but she gave up. Hopefully I have high enough waiver priority to get him.

If not my mother-in-law dropped Buck Allen and I can make a waiver claim for Sunday. I get my wife making a mistake, but my mother-in-law is a lost cause.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

Basically dynasty is fun, huh?

Hah, yup, it's the best :)

I think you've got far too many QBs, though. When you've already got Dalton (this sounded better before the last two weeks, haha), you don't need much more, he's a decent fantasy QB and safe in his job. Add in Eli and a rookie, at most, and call it set. Paying $48 (20% of your cap!) and 5 bench spots (almost half your bench?!) for QBs in a 12 team 1 QB league is crazy. Like really really crazy, haha.

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

You are my underwater, underwater friends!

Inspector_666 posted:

Would you all take the Rams over GB for the time being?
I like the Rams more. Their matchup this week is better and they don't have any real "must avoid" matchups coming up. @DAL in week 4 maybe but that should be a low-scoring affair. And then Weeks 6-10 starts a juicy run with Jaguars->Cardinals->Giants->Texans in a row. Playoff schedule is not ideal though (PHI, @SEA, @TEN).

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

RVProfootballer posted:

Hah, yup, it's the best :)

I think you've got far too many QBs, though. When you've already got Dalton (this sounded better before the last two weeks, haha), you don't need much more, he's a decent fantasy QB and safe in his job. Add in Eli and a rookie, at most, and call it set. Paying $48 (20% of your cap!) and 5 bench spots (almost half your bench?!) for QBs in a 12 team 1 QB league is crazy. Like really really crazy, haha.

It's temporary, though. I expect to winnow the list down all season. And I'm not at all sure Dalton is gonne be one of the keepers. Maybe I can get some trade equity out of him, we'll see. If I go into full-on rebuild mode, he could be cut.

e. Like, when do you start Dalton again? Week 3 is against the Packers, you want to roll the dice that maybe he'll throw his first TD of the season in that game? How about week 4 against the Browns, that seems like a good week to go with him, so what if he has another horrible game week 3, then week 4 is great against the Browns. Then what? Bills D on week 5? I dunno, man!

I want a set-it-and-forget-it QB that I can rely on to not gently caress me. Like a QB with a 10 point floor, you know? This is how I've decided to try and get that. Maybe it'll fail spectacularly but I'm committed to this now.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Sep 16, 2017

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

My wife dropped him after a week of me being sick and our toddler being insane. I told her to make a plea to the group but she gave up. Hopefully I have high enough waiver priority to get him.

If not my mother-in-law dropped Buck Allen and I can make a waiver claim for Sunday. I get my wife making a mistake, but my mother-in-law is a lost cause.

Didn't mean to throw shade at your wife. I forget sometimes that people are in family leagues too. What I meant to say was "Anyone who takes FF seriously and carefully analyzes their moves but nonetheless decided to drop Powell is stupid'.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

It's temporary, though. I expect to winnow the list down all season. And I'm not at all sure Dalton is gonne be one of the keepers. Maybe I can get some trade equity out of him, we'll see. If I go into full-on rebuild mode, he could be cut.

e. Like, when do you start Dalton again? Week 3 is against the Packers, you want to roll the dice that maybe he'll throw his first TD of the season in that game? How about week 4 against the Browns, that seems like a good week to go with him, so what if he has another horrible game week 3, then week 4 is great against the Browns. Then what? Bills D on week 5? I dunno, man!

I want a set-it-and-forget-it QB that I can rely on to not gently caress me. Like a QB with a 10 point floor, you know? This is how I've decided to try and get that. Maybe it'll fail spectacularly but I'm committed to this now.

I was all aboard Dalton as a low end QB1 this year, so I'm probably not recalibrated well enough to really advise on him. I doubt he continues being as bad as he has been, but who knows. He's my QB2 in multiple superflex leagues, though. Mostly I hate those salaries for most of the QBs. If I can get Dalton and Eli together for $8, I'm basically dumping all the rest of those QBs, regardless of team composition.

Given the other salaries on your roster, you could get an RB or WR almost comparable to Bell or Evans for what you're paying 4 or 5 mediocre QBs. That's just a bad deal for you, so I don't think you should be "committed to it for now" at all. Start the pruning now, haha. It's 12 team 1 QB, let someone else hoard QBs on inflated salaries, you can spend it better elsewhere. Keep Dalton for $3, try to nab Stafford or Wilson or Newton or Ryan or Rivers in a trade if their owners are not too high on them and their salaries are reasonable, send a couple rookie QBs the other way as part of the deal if they're in high demand for some reason, cut the rest.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

CompeAnansi posted:

What about for Rawls? He was dropped in one of my leagues. Also have Ingram, Terrance West, Emmanuel Sanders, and Tyrell Williams on my bench (10 team league). Feel like Powell is the most droppable.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

RVProfootballer posted:

I was all aboard Dalton as a low end QB1 this year, so I'm probably not recalibrated well enough to really advise on him. I doubt he continues being as bad as he has been, but who knows. He's my QB2 in multiple superflex leagues, though. Mostly I hate those salaries for most of the QBs. If I can get Dalton and Eli together for $8, I'm basically dumping all the rest of those QBs, regardless of team composition.

Given the other salaries on your roster, you could get an RB or WR almost comparable to Bell or Evans for what you're paying 4 or 5 mediocre QBs. That's just a bad deal for you, so I don't think you should be "committed to it for now" at all. Start the pruning now, haha. It's 12 team 1 QB, let someone else hoard QBs on inflated salaries, you can spend it better elsewhere. Keep Dalton for $3, try to nab Stafford or Wilson or Newton or Ryan or Rivers in a trade if their owners are not too high on them and their salaries are reasonable, send a couple rookie QBs the other way as part of the deal if they're in high demand for some reason, cut the rest.

Solid advice. I'll think about it seriously.

It's tough to pry away QBs in this league. I actually traded to get Eli back in, uh, 2015 I think. There's at least one other active owner who is desperate for a QB, too. He's pretty pissed I am hording them, lol.

Generally the issue is, I can't afford an expensive QB salary (and they go up 10% annually, so I don't want to trade a ton of value for a guy I can only keep maybe one more year), but cheap QBs are huge value to their current owners and thus very hard to pry away.

Of the QBs you mentioned:
Wilson is $24, owner also has Rodgers for $37 and no other QBs. Very unlikely to get him.
Stafford is $4, owner also has Brady for $11 and Winston for $9. Could be a good trade target, although he has $30 cap space and might be happy to keep his cheap QBs.
Newton is $11, owner also has Mariota for $12 and no other QBs. Very unlikely to get him.
Ryan is $2, owner also has Nathan Peterman for $1. Impossible to get this guy given that's a "keep for the rest of his career" salary and the guy has zero backup.
Rivers is $3, owner also has Cousins for $3. Same deal here, I can't imagine this owner giving either up, given the value.

Basically I'm obviously paying way too much for my squad of QBs, but my trade options are pretty dire given how much the other owners are going to cling to their low-price keep-forever QBs. And based on looking at these salaries, I wind up even more convinced that what I really need is to identify which of my rookies is "the one" and dump all the rest. But I want a few weeks of watching them to figure that out.

There's no huge rush because the waivers are too thin for added cap space to matter much. If I lose a key player to injury, IR clears cap space and a bench slot. Otherwise, I have time.

But your points still stand. I may change my mind.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

CompeAnansi posted:

Didn't mean to throw shade at your wife. I forget sometimes that people are in family leagues too. What I meant to say was "Anyone who takes FF seriously and carefully analyzes their moves but nonetheless decided to drop Powell is stupid'.

No worries. If anything Powell might be useless with Forte and the Jets in general.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

Solid advice. I'll think about it seriously.

It's tough to pry away QBs in this league. I actually traded to get Eli back in, uh, 2015 I think. There's at least one other active owner who is desperate for a QB, too. He's pretty pissed I am hording them, lol.

Generally the issue is, I can't afford an expensive QB salary (and they go up 10% annually, so I don't want to trade a ton of value for a guy I can only keep maybe one more year), but cheap QBs are huge value to their current owners and thus very hard to pry away.

Of the QBs you mentioned:
Wilson is $24, owner also has Rodgers for $37 and no other QBs. Very unlikely to get him.
Stafford is $4, owner also has Brady for $11 and Winston for $9. Could be a good trade target, although he has $30 cap space and might be happy to keep his cheap QBs.
Newton is $11, owner also has Mariota for $12 and no other QBs. Very unlikely to get him.
Ryan is $2, owner also has Nathan Peterman for $1. Impossible to get this guy given that's a "keep for the rest of his career" salary and the guy has zero backup.
Rivers is $3, owner also has Cousins for $3. Same deal here, I can't imagine this owner giving either up, given the value.

Basically I'm obviously paying way too much for my squad of QBs, but my trade options are pretty dire given how much the other owners are going to cling to their low-price keep-forever QBs. And based on looking at these salaries, I wind up even more convinced that what I really need is to identify which of my rookies is "the one" and dump all the rest. But I want a few weeks of watching them to figure that out.

There's no huge rush because the waivers are too thin for added cap space to matter much. If I lose a key player to injury, IR clears cap space and a bench slot. Otherwise, I have time.

But your points still stand. I may change my mind.

Yeah, I hear ya, and taking a little time to assess who to keep is a good idea. I would try to sell high on Watson or Smith if you can, can't imagine either will be great value long term. Then, for those salaries, I'd really try to get one (or two!) of Stafford, Winston, Mariota, Ryan, Rivers, or Cousins. Those are all good salaries and good "set and forget" guys. Who knows, they might really want to nab Kizer or Watson as a "buy low" before what they assume will be a break out season.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

dxt posted:

What about for Rawls? He was dropped in one of my leagues. Also have Ingram, Terrance West, Emmanuel Sanders, and Tyrell Williams on my bench (10 team league). Feel like Powell is the most droppable.

Honestly, I feel like Powell has more upside than West, but West will be more consistent while Forte is around. But keep in mind that West also has his own thorn in his side in Allen. I wouldn't drop either for Rawls, though. They are at least a tier above Rawls right now, at least until Rawls proves he has a role and is healthy.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

My $12 blind bid for Smith on waivers last week beat one $6 bid and no other bids, so there is not a lot of demand for him, and none for him at $12. He's a lottery ticket.

I'd definitely offer a rookie lotto ticket for one of those every-week starters, but those owners would be insane to make that trade with me. An $8 untested rookie for a $4 Stafford? These guys aren't that stupid.

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

RVProfootballer posted:

The league is pretty crazy. There's only one team that doesn't have 2 QBs rostered. This means the WW is pretty barren: glennon, mccown, hoyer, brissett/tolzien. The cost for players goes up by 10% ($1 min) per year, with draft picks (rookies) having a flat cost, and since Leper picked them in the 2nd/3rd that means it's $8/$4. There's a total of $210 spent on QBs, with the player spending the most spending $61 on Arog+Wilson. Three teams rostering 3 or more QBs. The average team (and mode) is $14 on QBs.

There's frankly nothing on the WW worth ~$30, and given we're mid season having that much in cap space would be useless, and I say that as a guy with 31 available. At this point, best to just wait for either stuff to be worthwhile on the WW or injuries and playoff desires to make older more expensive players available for picks, in which time I guess it's fine to have a bunch of cap stuffed up in QBs since you can drop them for the space later.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah the main use for empty cap space for me right now, is to protect my taxi squad guys by promoting them. Which I can do anyway as I start winnowing down my stable of QBs.

I really want to see what Cutler is gonna look like in Miami, too. What if... what if he's better than Tannehill? He's only 34 years old, he could play for another four years or something?

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
Powell is and always will be a volume play. I've lost count of the number of times he's been a free reliable bye week guy for me, but he ain't gonna supermova like a rawls of Howard etc.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Forever_Peace posted:

Powell is and always will be a volume play. I've lost count of the number of times he's been a free reliable bye week guy for me, but he ain't gonna supermova like a rawls of Howard etc.

In my case that's all I need him to be. I'd love to see Rawls go supernova though, and if Burkhead turns out to be a WR in a RB position that would be awesome.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

Butter Hole posted:

You are really tempting me. I really want to pick them up but I'd be dropping Carolina who gets the Bills this week. They will likely have a better week than Jacksonville, but if the Jags ball out again this week, there's no way I'll get them on waivers next week...

I hear ya. From the D/ST perspective, I'm more accepting of risk because I thought I would be streaming D's all season. But if you drafted CAR to specifically avoid the uncertainty of streaming, then I respect wanting to keep a solid defense.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Tiptoes posted:

I like the Rams more. Their matchup this week is better and they don't have any real "must avoid" matchups coming up. @DAL in week 4 maybe but that should be a low-scoring affair. And then Weeks 6-10 starts a juicy run with Jaguars->Cardinals->Giants->Texans in a row. Playoff schedule is not ideal though (PHI, @SEA, @TEN).

Cool. I'll worry about the playoffs later if I have to.

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

I'm going to stab you. Offline. With a real knife.

What's the split going forward for Howard/Cohen? From what I've read, Howard will be taking most snaps until the Bears are in more frequent passing situations. So is it fine to just play Howard for the time being until there's more certainty in their roles? I have Elliot and Hunt as my other playable backs, so it's just that last RB spot for me.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

TUS posted:

What's the split going forward for Howard/Cohen? From what I've read, Howard will be taking most snaps until the Bears are in more frequent passing situations. So is it fine to just play Howard for the time being until there's more certainty in their roles? I have Elliot and Hunt as my other playable backs, so it's just that last RB spot for me.

I expect to see them both on the field a lot. I wouldn't be surprised to see Cohen lining up in the slot more now that all their WRs are dead. Cohen is really a short WR, not a true RB, so I don't see him as a threat to Howard's between the tackles carries.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004
Cohen is too much of a firecracker to see less time than he already has. He's a great flex option.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
Speaking of which, pick two for this week (0.5PPR):

T.Cohen @ TB
B.Powell @ OAK
J.Crowder @ LAR

I'm currently leaning towards Cohen + Powell, but all three are ranked rather closely by everyone.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Is it just me or is this year seeing a huge emphasis in RBs playing in traditionally WR roles?

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Is it just me or is this year seeing a huge emphasis in RBs playing in traditionally WR roles?

Offenses are indeed trending towards drafting and incorporating Sprolsian-type players, ala James White, McCaffrey, Tarik, Woodhead. They are looking for speed to create mismatches with linebackers.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Suave Fedora posted:

Offenses are indeed trending towards drafting and incorporating Sprolsian-type players, ala James White, McCaffrey, Tarik, Woodhead. They are looking for speed to create mismatches with linebackers.

White, Woodhead, Cohen, McCaffrey, Duke Johnson, and most recently Rex Burkhead.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

White, Woodhead, Cohen, McCaffrey, Duke Johnson, and most recently Rex Burkhead.

Vereen

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Those are just the successful ones. Plenty of bad little guys getting pushed into that role like Pumphrey and Dunbar. It's just a part of the game now.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004
How could I forget Rexy Sex Burkhead

Decided I liked that better.

Suave Fedora fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Sep 16, 2017

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Thielen too, right?

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Should I drop Powell for any of these guys?

Chris Carson
Alvin Kamara
James White

Tiffany
May 29, 2013

Terrance West or Kerwynn Williams for RB2? I need to play it safe since AJ Green flopped on Thursday.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Tiffany posted:

Terrance West or Kerwynn Williams for RB2? I need to play it safe since AJ Green flopped on Thursday.

There's a thread for questions like this

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

Should I drop Powell for any of these guys?

Chris Carson
Alvin Kamara
James White

I wouldn't.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Is there IDP thread and I'm missing it? I think we used to have one

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!
I think most of us that play in IDP leagues play with other goons. IDP content tends to fizzle

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

You are my underwater, underwater friends!

Suave Fedora posted:

How could I forget Rexy Sex Burkhead

Decided I liked that better.
Stop me if you've heard this one before...

https://twitter.com/DougKyed/status/909174984505008128
https://twitter.com/DougKyed/status/909175680381878272

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

More football than fantasy, but before this year, is there a team that has won a superbowl with this speedy rb2 strategy? I'm thinking back and can't think of one in the last ten years(before this year), but I bet I'm just forgetting someone obvious

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt

Drunk Nerds posted:

More football than fantasy, but before this year, is there a team that has won a superbowl with this speedy rb2 strategy? I'm thinking back and can't think of one in the last ten years(before this year), but I bet I'm just forgetting someone obvious

Drunk Nerds posted:

Pretty much every Pats team and Saints with Bush

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ayudo
Mar 30, 2006

Drunk Nerds posted:

Both Woodhead and White played in a Super Bowl for the patriots. Though obviously only White played for a Super Bowl winner.

Going back in time, you can point to guys like Marshall Faulk for the Rams and Pierre Thomas/Reggie Bush for the Saints.

In general, throwing to passing backs on early downs has proven super efficient. I think teams are adjusting to bad o-line play as well.

Edit: I guess Faulk isn't really an answer to your question since he's more of a David Johnson/Le'veon Bell style dual threat than a pass catching specialist.

Ayudo fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Sep 17, 2017

• Locked thread