Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

mlmp08 posted:

Please keep your anime airplanes to an acceptable level of anime

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwNRv-lubCg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

The Wind Rises is a gorgeous movie and the writing's not half bad.

Also the voice of the main character is famous director Hideaki Anno.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

That Works posted:

I am just laying down to bed seeing this, remind me and I can elaborate. I went into a little more than that but it's the basic principle. It's a really good starting point to break down what a lot of separate organ systems do though.

Poke poke

Miracle Mile sounds...interesting. Denise Crosby as a 80s power yuppie :magical:

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

pthighs posted:

This. Also Fail-Safe.

Fail-Safe is underappreciated, I think

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Miracle Mile is very good.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I'll try not to write a whole essay on it but it's a fun teaching tool.

Your 1st assumption is right, without energy, cells die. Muscle fibers need ATP to contract to let things move. To make ATP you need mitochondria to undergo respiration. To undergo respiration you need oxygen and glucose (for human cells). To get oxygen and glucose to muscle cells you need a circulatory system. But, that's not quite correct. Muscle cells can undergo fermentation (producing lactic acid) instead. However, this only lasts for the most part until blood glucose supply is exhausted. Actually, you can start breaking down proteins and other components into short carbon chains to ferment as well.

So a couple of assumptions, zombies don't need a circulatory system, they don't 'bleed out' so, they must be undergoing fermentation. Queue an entire segue into how your body processes fermentation end products and cleans up stuff from that out of your cells via the liver and kidneys. Again, this kinda doesn't work well on a system level without circulation and breathing. So, without those its up to the individual cells to function and last as long as they can, cannibalizing themselves. Some back of the napkin math works out to even a slow moving shambling zombie only lasting an hour or less at absolute maximum conditions before so many individual cells cannibalize their own contents down into inactivity. This would require an aggressive reprogramming of normal cellular metabolism that we currently don't do.

There's a lot of sidebars there I use to get into other metabolic stuff, ie how the body uses CO2 normally to buffer the blood and ensure a fairly constant pH, and how your breathing rate affects that to keep that pH balance in a very narrow range.

The end result is that if you forced cells to individually do something they are evolutionarily not built for they could run for~1h in overly ideal situations but would leave behind a completely destroyed husk of half pickled dead human flesh.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Cyrano4747 posted:

Strangelove is good, but not as good as every college sophomore who watched it for the first time thinks. It's great satire and it's got some iconic as gently caress vignettes but it really works better as a dark comedy than any kind of movie about the cold war, nuclear war, or the apocalypse.
Hard disagree, it's better. If you've ever had exposure to US Military strategic policy making or the nuclear enterprise, its an even more accurate reproduction than the B-52 interior that got them in trouble.

Also :lol: at your new avatar.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

That Works posted:

The end result is that if you forced cells to individually do something they are evolutionarily not built for they could run for~1h in overly ideal situations but would leave behind a completely destroyed husk of half pickled dead human flesh.

Yeah but that's like busting out the square/cube thing to explain how a kaiju would be crushed by its own weight and incapable of moving, or even of sustaining its metabolic activity, let alone rampaging through Tokyo. At some point you just have to accept that Zombizilla just doesn't care about our understanding of physics and biology.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
"A wizard did it"

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

"A lovely writer did it"

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Dead Reckoning posted:

Also :lol: at your new avatar.

It doesn't include the phrase "civil discourse you loving savages." Utter failure. :colbert:

Coldwar timewarp
May 8, 2007

Just found out that the Mig-21 spike was able to extend and retract to be the most effective as speed changed.
I honestly feel pretty dumb, I assumed it was a small radar cone...I'm embarrassed.
Are there any other aircraft which used this method to increase aerodynamics? Not talking about variable geometry wings.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Cat Mattress posted:

Yeah but that's like busting out the square/cube thing to explain how a kaiju would be crushed by its own weight and incapable of moving, or even of sustaining its metabolic activity, let alone rampaging through Tokyo. At some point you just have to accept that Zombizilla just doesn't care about our understanding of physics and biology.

I'm not using it to say that Zombie movies aren't awesome. Just more to dryly point out it is fiction and here are all the amazing linked metabolic and circulatory systems your body requires to function that make it fictional.

It's a good starting point to talk about what can be a boring and dry subject but is really fascinating when you understand it in more detail.

Hell the fact that your own body starts putting out more acid when it runs low on oxygen and then compensates for this by retaining more dissolved CO2 in the bloodstream, buffering the pH a little higher to counter the acid and that in turn makes your hemoglobin change affinity for oxygen, etc is all really cool. Remarkably adaptive system.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Coldwar timewarp posted:

Just found out that the Mig-21 spike was able to extend and retract to be the most effective as speed changed.
I honestly feel pretty dumb, I assumed it was a small radar cone...I'm embarrassed.
Are there any other aircraft which used this method to increase aerodynamics? Not talking about variable geometry wings.

SR-71 intakes did this as well iirc.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Coldwar timewarp posted:

I don't think it was for aerodymanics as much as it was for making the engine work properly at various speeds.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Variable inlet geometry was definitely a thing, though it didn't always take the form of an adjustable spike like the MiG-21.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Phanatic posted:

Is The Wind Rises any good?

I mistook this for When the Wind Blows at first, which is near Threads level of :smith:. I will check out The Wind Rises the next time I feel good about life.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Coldwar timewarp posted:

Wait where the hell was the MiG-21's radar then?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Also in the cone. I think.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

goatsestretchgoals posted:

On the ground

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Flikken posted:

On the ground

not emptyquoting a reply

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

inkjet_lakes posted:

It might be just that simple, yes.

Best Cold War movie?

Seven Days in May is very good

Coldwar timewarp
May 8, 2007

That Works posted:

Thanks, and bad wording with regards to aerodynamics i suppose, but making the engine work at different speeds by changing the inlet geometry must fall under aerodynamics broadly.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Plotting how "Okay, if we're serious about making this realistic, how would it look/work?" also results in some interesting thought experiments/films/etc.

I got curious about what the absolutely largest living organism can be and uh, glancing around it might be possible to get a planet sized ball of cancer with a symbiotic ecosystem of creatures evolved from cancer tumors?

Assuming accuracy in that thread, Lovecraft isn't far off and that's pretty hosed up to think about. You could quite possibly have some alien planet sized thing that's impossible to communicate with and impossible to kill without being much higher up in Kardeschev ranks.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Coldwar timewarp posted:

Thanks, and bad wording with regards to aerodynamics i suppose, but making the engine work at different speeds by changing the inlet geometry must fall under aerodynamics broadly.

Concorde is a good example of variable inlet geometry other than the spike type.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

mlmp08 posted:

Please keep your anime airplanes to an acceptable level of anime

Time for Area 88, the greatest airpower anime

And here's some Walt Disney as a palate cleanser

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

That Works posted:

Coldwar timewarp posted:

I can add a little detail to this: the variable inlet geometry was needed to allow the SR-71 to transition between 'turbojet' and 'ramjet' modes of operation. At subsonic it's a very inefficient turbojet with a high-pressure internal combustion reaction. When it converts to ramjet mode that moves to the low-pressure outer bypass. Fuel efficiency goes up significantly, though the exact amount has never been published, AFAIK.

And the SR-71's inlets were designed by my grandfather, so there's that! :toot:

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

The tonal difference of the Patlabor series and movies is neat. In one you've got a lighthearted police drama about cop robots that carry 37mm K-frame revolvers and hit T-34 mechs with stun batons, while the movies are far more serious.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xaFTjl4JCU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOrbHOueDn4

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Coldwar timewarp posted:

The half-cones of the Mirage family can move. They're called "souris" (mice) because it's like a mouse poking its head out of its hole. :3:

In the Mirage 2000, variants aimed primarily at air-to-air (2000C, 2000B, 2000-5) have mobile mice and a service speed limit of Mach 2.2 while variants aimed primarily at air-to-ground (2000N, 2000D) have static mice and a service speed limit of Mach 1.5.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

C.M. Kruger posted:

The tonal difference of the Patlabor series and movies is neat. In one you've got a lighthearted police drama about cop robots that carry 37mm K-frame revolvers and hit T-34 mechs with stun batons, while the movies are far more serious.
Fun fact: The Patlabor movies were directed by Mamoru Oshii, who's also responsible for the Ghost in the Shell movies. Lots of those lingering shots of birds and people wandering around waterfronts while Kenji Kawai's music plays in the background.

:goonsay:

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Sperglord Actual posted:

"A lovely writer did it"

Zombies are a religion thing. Evil spirits really are just as good as anything for explaining it.

Significant Ant
Jun 14, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Area 88 is easily one of the most anti war things I have ever watched

That one scene where that guy broke down because he didn't want to get shot for desertion :smith:

Tetraptous
Nov 11, 2004

Dynamic instability during transition.
The purpose of the intake come in all cases is to ensure that the oblique shock produced at the tip of the cone hits the lip of the intake diffuser. Air passing through the shock decelerates from a high supersonic speed to low supersonic speed. One (or more) further shocks inside the diffuser decelerate the flow, with a normal shock at the diffuser throat, such that there's eventually high pressure subsonic flow by the time you get to the fan/compressor or combustor. This is necessary for a ramjet, but also important for supersonic turbomachine engines.

As the free stream Mach increases, the oblique shock occurs at a narrower angle, such that the cone must move forwards to keep the shock attached to the inlet diffuser in the right place for it to work optimally. It's a good problem for an introductory compressible flow class! Variable geometry intake ramps have the same goal, but can be slightly more complex. Packaging constraints and the need for larger radar in single engine aircraft were the main reasons inlet cones fell out of favor; aerodynamically , they work great, probably even better than ramps because they're axisymmetric.

Tetraptous fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Sep 16, 2017

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Murgos posted:

Zombies are a religion thing. Evil spirits really are just as good as anything for explaining it.

We're in a strange area where Dungeons and Dragons can make something more plausible, not less

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
This isn't anime, but close enough and fits the thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyMNIFZTQkg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjJmTeBSEzU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Arglebargle III posted:

No it's star trek VI

Also Rocky IV.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

The East German secret police went to extraordinary lengths to track down people who wrote letters to the BBC during the Cold War. One of those arrested and jailed was a teenager who longed to express himself freely - and paid a high price.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Interesting article.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

quote:

In the end it was the letter writers they really knuckled down on, and the Stasi were extraordinarily fastidious in their pursuit.

They took saliva samples from the licked envelopes to identify blood groups which they cross-checked with doctor's records. They traced fingerprints on the paper, sourced the ink and collated an extensive archive of handwriting samples.

Germans do not gently caress around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

I knew a guy while I was in Germany who was arrested by the Stasi and did 5 years in jail when he was 18 for basically being a dumb, rebellious kid. The kind of guy who would have just been a stoner metal fan high schooler in the US but ended up running afoul of the authorities. He was a guy at a local bar I went to a bunch when I was in Berlin, so I'm not going to swear by any of his stories, but all the other regulars vouched for him. He was released after the wall came down as they started emptying the jails of dudes like him and had some hosed up stories about how confused and paranoid he was at people telling him he could do all that poo poo he got arrested for back in '84 or whenever as much as he wanted.

Needless to say it royally hosed up his life. He wasn't exactly the most adjusted, contributing member of society when I was drinking with him.