Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

ZiegeDame posted:

Rosa, Hideyoshi, and Eva looks like multiple to me. Not to mention if they blamed her for Natsushi and Krauss, too. But I guess I phrased that poorly. What I meant was she didn't necessarily go into this planning to murder a bunch of people to take the gold, but once she entered murder town she didn't look back. Which now that I say it suggests that the only thing holding her back from doing murders in the past (Asumu being the big example) was the threat of being caught and punished more than any sense of morality. So hey, Kyrie might be a psychopath. Good to know.

Still worth bearing in mind that if Kyrie at any point did have any hesitation here Bernkastel for sure would elect not to show that part.

Hesitation isn't enough to redeem someone who goes about a mass murder, though. Even if the whole thing about not caring about Ange was fabricated or even just omitted from the scene, none of that really redeems Kyrie's actions. Also, I mean, it wouldn't have been a multiple if she'd stopped at one killing -- everything after that stops looking like self defense. She certainly could have been blamed for Natsuhi and Krauss's deaths, but so could any of the other survivors, so that issue would've been muddied very quickly.

Rosa was probably on the best track to dealing with the situation as it stood before she was also slain, but that would've quickly devolved into some sort of idiotic prisoners' dilemma game and then we'd be watching 999 or something and just nooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Hesitation isn't enough to redeem someone who goes about a mass murder, though. Even if the whole thing about not caring about Ange was fabricated or even just omitted from the scene, none of that really redeems Kyrie's actions. Also, I mean, it wouldn't have been a multiple if she'd stopped at one killing -- everything after that stops looking like self defense. She certainly could have been blamed for Natsuhi and Krauss's deaths, but so could any of the other survivors, so that issue would've been muddied very quickly.

Rosa was probably on the best track to dealing with the situation as it stood before she was also slain, but that would've quickly devolved into some sort of idiotic prisoners' dilemma game and then we'd be watching 999 or something and just nooooooooooooooooooooooooo

I feel like another couple important things about Kyrie's murders to take into consideration are that 1. they're very close and personal (i.e. not just with the bomb, and go as far as smashing a teenage girl's face in) and she shows little difficulty/remorse committing them, and 2. she has no reason to have any personal animus towards most of the other characters she killed.

The reason I mention this is that Yasu also planned to commit multiple murders, and while it would have also been an evil thing to do, I think her circumstances would have made such murders reflect differently on who she is as a person than Kyrie's did. She had personal reasons to hate most of the Ushiromiya family, and her actions would have been part of a greater sort of murder-suicide than out of a desire for material gain.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Cyouni posted:

I've been thinking... What if Hachijo Toya (the manga gives her a different name, so I'm slightly confused about that) was Yasu acting on Battler's behalf to write these stories?
If I Did It by Sayo Ushiromiya

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

EagerSleeper posted:

There's gotta be some sort of trick to what Bernkastel said. Many times the red truth is used to imply, not actually say. Could this series of events really be what actually happened that day? Just Rudolf and Kyrie killing everyone on the island? Where the heck are Genji and Kumasawa? Where the hell is the Evil George that's been foreshadowed since forever? Either way... Poor Ange. They can never get a break, can they? :smith: To be Ange is to suffer. And to be burger.

At least Infant Queen Bee is a kicking track.

Kumasawa and Genji were in the guest house they were murdered along with Maria.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

EDIT: Nevermind, trying to avoid long posts. Just going to boil it down to...

I think Kyrie has severely damaged affective empathy but her cognative empathy seems fine. She's got enough of a grasp on people's feelings to want to soothe Ange's feelings even as she's intending to ditch Ange. But I think this thought process makes this scene much more shocking because it's not a crime of passion, unlike pretty much everything else we've seen so far. Eva's rampage and Kyrie's rampage are very different, and Kyrie's careful and affectionate-seeming parenting of Ange is a mirror to Rosa's horrific and extremely emotion-driven parenting of Maria.

PetraCore fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Sep 15, 2017

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Who could have suspected, it was Beatrice all along, no one's guilty of anything it was just a cruel witch :smith: just a cruel witch. Let's all just acknowledge Beatrice, and then it's over.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

PetraCore posted:

EDIT: Nevermind, trying to avoid long posts. Just going to boil it down to...

I think Kyrie has severely damaged affective empathy but her cognative empathy seems fine. She's got enough of a grasp on people's feelings to want to soothe Ange's feelings even as she's intending to ditch Ange. But I think this thought process makes this scene much more shocking because it's not a crime of passion, unlike pretty much everything else we've seen so far. Eva's rampage and Kyrie's rampage are very different, and Kyrie's careful and affectionate-seeming parenting of Ange is a mirror to Rosa's horrific and extremely emotion-driven parenting of Maria.

I mean, Kyrie's theory of mind seems quite strong and she seems to know that what she's doing is wrong. She just doesn't give a drat. Honestly, in that respect, she probably has more in common with Kinzo than any of the other cast members. I doubt any of the murders she's committed were truly premeditated, yet Kyrie seized the opportunity presented by the conflict over the gold and the cash card to eliminate as many rivals as she could, and to bind Rudolf more tightly to her by making him dirty his hands as well.

lookw
Oct 7, 2014

ZiegeDame posted:

Rosa, Hideyoshi, and Eva looks like multiple to me. Not to mention if they blamed her for Natsushi and Krauss, too. But I guess I phrased that poorly. What I meant was she didn't necessarily go into this planning to murder a bunch of people to take the gold, but once she entered murder town she didn't look back. Which now that I say it suggests that the only thing holding her back from doing murders in the past (Asumu being the big example) was the threat of being caught and punished more than any sense of morality. So hey, Kyrie might be a psychopath. Good to know.

Still worth bearing in mind that if Kyrie at any point did have any hesitation here Bernkastel for sure would elect not to show that part.

Though if bernkastal wanted to make Ange despair even more she would take great pleasure in showing how Kyrie killed both battler and maria. Remember, Ange was really close to both of them and thoughts of the 2 of them kept her alive and happier (by a matter of degrees). Hell seeing her own mother cruelly kill maria and battler (assuming battler is dead) would be horrifying for Ange and Bern would be greatly entertained (since that is something she is well familiar with). Even if its the full truth omitting those 2 scenes............seems like a move kept in reserve. For what? idk, but considering lion is still watching im sure they will start picking apart the story and bern is reserving those scenes for dramatic effect.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

I mean, Kyrie's theory of mind seems quite strong and she seems to know that what she's doing is wrong. She just doesn't give a drat. Honestly, in that respect, she probably has more in common with Kinzo than any of the other cast members. I doubt any of the murders she's committed were truly premeditated, yet Kyrie seized the opportunity presented by the conflict over the gold and the cash card to eliminate as many rivals as she could, and to bind Rudolf more tightly to her by making him dirty his hands as well.

Yeah, that's what I'm saying! She doesn't have the innate emotional caring part of empathy, but she knows that different things make her feel bad or good and other people also have emotions and her actions impact their emotions, yadda yadda. And the thing is, people can and do go through life like that without committing any crimes at all. Now, I think the deck was a bit stacked against Kyrie in that regard with the strongly implied crime family grooming her as an heir, but I mean... it's pretty clear before this stuff goes down in this scene that Kyrie is very actively a criminal who scams and at least financially harms other people, but I think it's a deliberate writing choice to not dwell on this overly much, so that the first super bad thing we see her doing is... this.

I know Rudolf made his own bed, too, but I wonder what would have happened if he had broken up with her. The timing of that would probably matter. When they were 14 or 15, I think she'd be extremely upset, but by the time she's spent 18 years trying to get him all to herself, him breaking things off with her might have gotten... pretty bad for him?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I know right? This entire time it was just Beatrice that did all the murders, crazy how this turned out. But hey let's all acknowledge Beatrice! Then we can all revive and go to the golden land! No one is guilty! :buddy:

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
... Wow. So some of us really are going all in on taking Kyrie's actions and words here at face value, despite the who's telling this story and the nature of this piece, huh? Because I find myself with EagerSleeper: this really doesn't seem right at all.

Because, at the beginning of the tea party, I was afraid that what we were seeing was objective truth- and Rudolph and Kyrie had been oddly spared by the narrative from being murderers, and I was waiting for that shoe to drop- and sure enough, once everything began, the cacklers will be delighted to know that I was :magical: ing along with I'm sure a few others, but... this isn't like the 5th game and I'm not going to freak out. Because there are things that caught my attention about this story- weird parallels that mirrored the other episodes, tactful omissions, to say nothing of the damned silly stuff like Rudolph laughing with his tongue out from right out of someone's murder animes- but it was all kind of plausible as a story. But then this happened:

And I was like, hold everything right the gently caress there.

The red truth, as it has been used in this story has always been in conjunction with fact- provable fact, that's what gives it its power and allows us to construct a solvable mystery. And the past few episodes, through the action on the screen and the narratives of the characters, mostly Erika and her enormous spiel that she cannot trust love because she can't find any solid incontrovertible proof for it... meaning it cannot be referred to with the red, and never has been in the previous games. And more importantly, don't Kyrie's thoughts here fly in the face of all of her actions regarding Ange and Rudolph in the story? There is no way that the Kyrie from EP3, with her burning jealousy of Asumu and all that this entails, would be OK with Rudolph being killed like this. And how does this gel with the presentation of her relationship to Ange in the previous episodes? (And none of this takes into account how completely sloppy she's portrayed as being. Could I imagine her as killing the family? Sure, but I don't imagine someone as analytical and practical as she is would ever forget to make sure Eva was dead and allow Jessica to resist as she did- why make herself known to Jessica at all, and not just cack her in the back as she walks in the door?) First she's emotional and then she's cold; first, she's professional, then she's amateurish... it goes beyond just being under pressure and into being made up.

And most importantly of all... this is just too perfect of a story: it slots too well into all of the fears and anxieties Ange has about what happened on the island. Her fears that her parents were the actual murderers, her guilt about her rejection of Eva... and now a fear that her mom never really loved her? I'm sorry, no; that's not truth- it's a nightmare, created from the darkest and most harmful parts of her. It's a chimera, much like the meat of this episode, an assembled possibility out of what could have happened, and organized around a purpose- in this case, to hurt Ange as much as possible. And that tips Berne's hand: I know what she is now. I'v suspected for a while, but now I do not have to question.

She is an allegory for the sickness that is eating Ange's soul; she is the face of depression. This story would be seen by Ange even if she wasn't forced to watch, because it is happening within her very heart- this is what she had begunb this journey to avoid , and with Yasu's story told and every other possibility laid to rest, this looms in her mind. Why do you think everyone is telling us to go back and reread the Witches Tanabata? Think about the last part and try to see it from another perspective: is Ange's decision to reject Eva the result of a poisonous witch's curse, or the result of her attachment instinct going completely haywire in response to the trauma of losing all but one of everyone she ever knew? A trauma that was compounded by the further abuses of being bullied in school, and by the abuse of her aunt, who needed her own help*, her own surcease from the suffering her father unleashed upon her... who in turn was made to suffer by the old Ushiromiyas. A long line of abuse, stretching who knows how far back, an unbroken chain of drudgery, despond, and untreated illness- that is the root of this darkness: that is the Black Witch's Curse. Bernestakel isn't the "cruelest witch in the world"- she is cruelty itself. And she is in charge of the microphone now, and perhaps always was.

What does that say about the narrative as a whole? Nothing good, I'm certain, and I don't really want to think about that. Nor do I want to think about what it means for Ange to continually turn into a pile of scraps of meat and bone... and how that sounds awfully reminiscent of the bodies of people that fell from a great height...

*And while it is very sweet that Ange thought that they could have found comfort in each other, well... maybe, but it wouldn't have fixed either of their problems. This could only ever have been solved by a therapist, and it's something nobody got.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

PetraCore posted:

Yeah, that's what I'm saying! She doesn't have the innate emotional caring part of empathy, but she knows that different things make her feel bad or good and other people also have emotions and her actions impact their emotions, yadda yadda. And the thing is, people can and do go through life like that without committing any crimes at all. Now, I think the deck was a bit stacked against Kyrie in that regard with the strongly implied crime family grooming her as an heir, but I mean... it's pretty clear before this stuff goes down in this scene that Kyrie is very actively a criminal who scams and at least financially harms other people, but I think it's a deliberate writing choice to not dwell on this overly much, so that the first super bad thing we see her doing is... this.

I know Rudolf made his own bed, too, but I wonder what would have happened if he had broken up with her. The timing of that would probably matter. When they were 14 or 15, I think she'd be extremely upset, but by the time she's spent 18 years trying to get him all to herself, him breaking things off with her might have gotten... pretty bad for him?

Really, the only point I disagreed with was her being severely damaged. I'm hesitant to assign psychological issues to every character who behaves badly or selfishly or makes bad decisions. Kyrie seems rational enough to make her own choices. She severed relationships with her family; she could have also decided not to play confidence games or engage in usury. She could have also decided not to pursue a partner who obviously didn't value her enough not to two-time her (and perhaps execute an insane baby-swap scheme, though she couldn't know that, but still holy poo poo Rudolf, did you really do that?).

Overall the writing doesn't dwell too much on the various frauds, scams, and other financial misbehaviors of the family members outside of their scheming for the inheritance, which is a good decision from a narrative standpoint -- with so much poo poo going on around these murders, dwelling on those issues would only introduce even more confusion with that kind of irrelevant information. We're shown just enough to make it clear that none of these people are entirely above board (with the exception of the kids).

Danaru posted:

I know right? This entire time it was just Beatrice that did all the murders, crazy how this turned out. But hey let's all acknowledge Beatrice! Then we can all revive and go to the golden land! No one is guilty! :buddy:

It's comforting to look away, but comfort is seductive. It's pernicious. We should always suspect the comforting narratives plated on the table before us, ready to eat, whether it's someone else serving it up or whether we are serving those stories ourselves. Nothing is so dangerous as the lie we really want to believe.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Really, the only point I disagreed with was her being severely damaged. I'm hesitant to assign psychological issues to every character who behaves badly or selfishly or makes bad decisions. Kyrie seems rational enough to make her own choices. She severed relationships with her family; she could have also decided not to play confidence games or engage in usury. She could have also decided not to pursue a partner who obviously didn't value her enough not to two-time her (and perhaps execute an insane baby-swap scheme, though she couldn't know that, but still holy poo poo Rudolf, did you really do that?).
Oh, no, I agree with all that. I think she's got empathy issues but that isn't making decisions for her, it just affects how she makes decisions. She's pretty clearly very confident making her own choices and dealing with the consequences, and I don't want to soften her agency at all, I just wanted to note what I thought was going on with her thought patterns.

EDIT: I am not even arguing that this is a result of abuse. Some people just have kinda funky brains.

PetraCore fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Sep 16, 2017

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

resurgam40 posted:

... Wow. So some of us really are going all in on taking Kyrie's actions and words here at face value, despite the who's telling this story and the nature of this piece, huh? Because I find myself with EagerSleeper: this really doesn't seem right at all.

Because, at the beginning of the tea party, I was afraid that what we were seeing was objective truth- and Rudolph and Kyrie had been oddly spared by the narrative from being murderers, and I was waiting for that shoe to drop- and sure enough, once everything began, the cacklers will be delighted to know that I was :magical: ing along with I'm sure a few others, but... this isn't like the 5th game and I'm not going to freak out. Because there are things that caught my attention about this story- weird parallels that mirrored the other episodes, tactful omissions, to say nothing of the damned silly stuff like Rudolph laughing with his tongue out from right out of someone's murder animes- but it was all kind of plausible as a story. But then this happened:

And I was like, hold everything right the gently caress there.

The red truth, as it has been used in this story has always been in conjunction with fact- provable fact, that's what gives it its power and allows us to construct a solvable mystery. And the past few episodes, through the action on the screen and the narratives of the characters, mostly Erika and her enormous spiel that she cannot trust love because she can't find any solid incontrovertible proof for it... meaning it cannot be referred to with the red, and never has been in the previous games. And more importantly, don't Kyrie's thoughts here fly in the face of all of her actions regarding Ange and Rudolph in the story? There is no way that the Kyrie from EP3, with her burning jealousy of Asumu and all that this entails, would be OK with Rudolph being killed like this. And how does this gel with the presentation of her relationship to Ange in the previous episodes? (And none of this takes into account how completely sloppy she's portrayed as being. Could I imagine her as killing the family? Sure, but I don't imagine someone as analytical and practical as she is would ever forget to make sure Eva was dead and allow Jessica to resist as she did- why make herself known to Jessica at all, and not just cack her in the back as she walks in the door?) First she's emotional and then she's cold; first, she's professional, then she's amateurish... it goes beyond just being under pressure and into being made up.

And most importantly of all... this is just too perfect of a story: it slots too well into all of the fears and anxieties Ange has about what happened on the island. Her fears that her parents were the actual murderers, her guilt about her rejection of Eva... and now a fear that her mom never really loved her? I'm sorry, no; that's not truth- it's a nightmare, created from the darkest and most harmful parts of her. It's a chimera, much like the meat of this episode, an assembled possibility out of what could have happened, and organized around a purpose- in this case, to hurt Ange as much as possible. And that tips Berne's hand: I know what she is now. I'v suspected for a while, but now I do not have to question.

She is an allegory for the sickness that is eating Ange's soul; she is the face of depression. This story would be seen by Ange even if she wasn't forced to watch, because it is happening within her very heart- this is what she had begunb this journey to avoid , and with Yasu's story told and every other possibility laid to rest, this looms in her mind. Why do you think everyone is telling us to go back and reread the Witches Tanabata? Think about the last part and try to see it from another perspective: is Ange's decision to reject Eva the result of a poisonous witch's curse, or the result of her attachment instinct going completely haywire in response to the trauma of losing all but one of everyone she ever knew? A trauma that was compounded by the further abuses of being bullied in school, and by the abuse of her aunt, who needed her own help*, her own surcease from the suffering her father unleashed upon her... who in turn was made to suffer by the old Ushiromiyas. A long line of abuse, stretching who knows how far back, an unbroken chain of drudgery, despond, and untreated illness- that is the root of this darkness: that is the Black Witch's Curse. Bernestakel isn't the "cruelest witch in the world"- she is cruelty itself. And she is in charge of the microphone now, and perhaps always was.

What does that say about the narrative as a whole? Nothing good, I'm certain, and I don't really want to think about that. Nor do I want to think about what it means for Ange to continually turn into a pile of scraps of meat and bone... and how that sounds awfully reminiscent of the bodies of people that fell from a great height...

*And while it is very sweet that Ange thought that they could have found comfort in each other, well... maybe, but it wouldn't have fixed either of their problems. This could only ever have been solved by a therapist, and it's something nobody got.

I don't know. I think it's more comforting to believe that something unlike this fell out; this all actually seems quite plausible to me, right down to Kyrie's dialogue about not giving that much of a poo poo about her kid. It's fair to say that perhaps this dialogue is made up, or that Kyrie didn't actually mean it, if she did say any of it. On the other hand, people gently caress up at murder all the time, and Kyrie was also trying to keep an eye on her husband, because despite clearly being passionately attached to him, she's also suspicious of him (and why wouldn't she be?).

Of course, it could be my own background that inclines me to think that this story is the closest to the truth of what happened on Kinzo's island. Kyrie's character as presented here is very real to me and reads as pretty authentic for the kind of person who sincerely believes that everyone is essentially unknowable and for whom "trust no one" is a personal motto. It's strange to see a woman in the role of a family annihilator, but this one hangs together pretty well.

If the red truth is unimpeachable, then what's accurate here, and what's being omitted? Does it matter how Kyrie killed Jessica, really, as long as she killed her? Does it matter if she freaked out about Rudolf/ph (I'm never going to do this consistently, probably)'s murder, if she tried to avenge him once she learned Eva killed him?

If this is all just a metaphor for Ange's anxieties and depression, then the red truth is basically useless. It's just a stand-in for each character's fears, so it cannot in any way be relied upon to find the truth. That seems out of character with what the witches keep telling us.

e. vvv I'll concede it's a fair reading.

POOL IS CLOSED fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Sep 16, 2017

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

MonsterEnvy posted:

Kumasawa and Genji were in the guest house they were murdered along with Maria.

Many thanks! I reread this update to make sure, and the update does definitely seem to imply that the servants were included when they said that Kyrie killed 'everyone' in the guest house.

quote:

Ange's yell covered up Bern's red truth.

There's the trick with the red truth. It's incomplete. For all we know, Bernkastel's complete red sentence could have been "This is all truth: Jingle bells, Battler smells, Rudolf laid an egg." This is definitely not the 100% real sequence of events that happened that day.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

If the red truth is unimpeachable, then what's accurate here, and what's being omitted? Does it matter how Kyrie killed Jessica, really, as long as she killed her?

Does it matter how Eva killed Natsushi, Rudolf, Kyrie, and potentially Battler?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

ZiegeDame posted:

Does it matter how Eva killed Natsushi, Rudolf, Kyrie, and potentially Battler?

In so far as all the killings were intentional homicides rather than like, negligent manslaughter, not so much. There's really no evidence remaining that can prove how anyone died thanks to 900 tons of sᴍᴀʟʟ ʙᴏᴍʙs. It's easy to handwave the method and say that "it's true that the murders were committed in this order by these culprits."

Of course there are crueler and more sadistic ways of killing people that would make Kyrie come off as even more hosed up, but aside from poor Jessica, the tale doesn't go into that. (For which I'm grateful, don't get me wrong.)

e. vvv I don't intend to accuse her of being sadistic, which is part of why I don't think her method really matters to the case, I guess.

POOL IS CLOSED fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Sep 16, 2017

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Even with Jessica, Kyrie wasn't trying to be cruel in her method of killing. It's just that when Jessica caught on too fast, Kyrie didn't hesitate to do whatever it took to get her to stay down.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Not murdering a teenage girl would have not cruel tbh

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Dr Pepper posted:

Not murdering people would've been all around better, agreed.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
Of all the possible reactions to this scene, I have to admit I wasn't expecting "Kyrie's pretty considerate actually" to be so popular.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Dr Pepper posted:

Yeah, agreed. I'm not defending Kyrie, I'm just saying that I don't think she's a sadist who enjoys causing pain for the purpose of causing pain.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

ProfessorProf posted:

Of all the possible reactions to this scene, I have to admit I wasn't expecting "Kyrie's pretty considerate actually" to be so popular.

Weirdly enough I would argue that considerate is one of Kyrie's defining character traits, just not... paired with kindness or compassion.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

ProfessorProf posted:

I think she's a homicidal rear end in a top hat who isn't any better than the rest of the Ushiromiya adults. However, the narrative thus far has pushed a far more sympathetic framing of her than it has any of the other awful people in the cast.

e. I should say until she bashes a kid's face in and then pontificates on children being a tool to trap a partner. That's where the storyteller really goes hog wild with twisting the knife.

PetraCore posted:

Weirdly enough I would argue that considerate is one of Kyrie's defining character traits, just not... paired with kindness or compassion.

More like calculating imo.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

More like calculating imo.
Ah, you're right, that's a better word. True consideration involves feeling that the feelings of others are important.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Man, what a day to not have time for foruming.

Maybe it's the fact that I'm a parent, but this one hits me extra-hard. People can get screwed up over money, even to the point of killing for it, and I can understand how that works without condoning it, but creating an entire human life for this purpose is contemptible. Kyrie is officially the worst.

Remember when Battler leapt out a window to preserve the sliver of a possibility that Kinzo and Beatrice were real, even though we knew they weren't? That's what this feels like to me. The author has given the readers this tiny little window, just in case someone wants to still believe in witches, or in Ange's family not being a heap of poo poo. This is the story I believe in, though. It just fits everything so well. Especially this:

ZiegeDame posted:

So how about that fact that understanding Yasu is all but useless for discovering the truth of what happened?

The other things are written to be stories, and have a moral point and teach a lesson. This is written to mimic real life; there's not a moral here, and there's no lesson. Yasu was important because they brought everyone to this place, armed them, and put the idea of murder in their heads. And because they disappeared, as was pointed out; they're not among the dead that Eva names. And Battler never made it to the chapel. The author has still kept their fates secret. What does it mean? Could they both have survived somehow? I still don't understand how Battler could possibly not come home to Ange, though. I don't want to believe he's a butthole.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

ProfessorProf posted:

This is what happens when the standard has already been set by the guy who used to abuse his younger siblings and the lady who chucked a servant and a baby off a cliff being the most likeable couple.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

idonotlikepeas posted:

The other things are written to be stories, and have a moral point and teach a lesson. This is written to mimic real life; there's not a moral here, and there's no lesson. Yasu was important because they brought everyone to this place, armed them, and put the idea of murder in their heads. And because they disappeared, as was pointed out; they're not among the dead that Eva names. And Battler never made it to the chapel. The author has still kept their fates secret. What does it mean? Could they both have survived somehow? I still don't understand how Battler could possibly not come home to Ange, though. I don't want to believe he's a butthole.

Well, my current thought is without context, Battler saw Eva kill both his parents. That's a pretty good reason.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

To not see Ange? I don't know. There was plenty of time where she was at school, away from Eva.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

idonotlikepeas posted:

To not see Ange? I don't know. There was plenty of time where she was at school, away from Eva.

Is that really a good enough reason to possibly get her killed, in his view?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Hideyoshi seems perfectly likable and he and Eva get along really well.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Cyouni posted:

Is that really a good enough reason to possibly get her killed, in his view?

Battler is run by his emotions lets not forget.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

idonotlikepeas posted:

given Eva basically sent her away to that school so that she would effectively disappear from sight and it's the sort of hoist-toity school that can effectively block out communications and has been used as a dumping ground for rich people's embarrassing kids as well as pampered favorites, it's possible if Battler survived, that he had no idea where his sister had disappeared to during most of her school life.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

MonsterEnvy posted:

This is only because we haven't yet seen the fragment where Hideyoshi murders everyone. I'm sure Bernkastel could show us that one if she wished.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

This is only because we haven't yet seen the fragment where Hideyoshi murders everyone. I'm sure Bernkastel could show us that one if she wished.

Hideyoshi kills everyone after the tragic death of Gohda by mispreparing food.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Well, keep in mind I'm still hardline against witches, which means Eva never intentionally murdered anybody.

I guess it's possible Battler survived. In some ways, he's a better candidate to be our mysterious forgery-writer; there's a kind of progression in the stories where Battler tries to understand Yasu, and it does make some sense if it's him writing that rather than Yasu. I just think there would have to be some time in Ange's life that he'd manage to see her, or send her a message, or something, you know?

For the record: the people we didn't just see killed are Genji, Kumasawa, Maria, Yasu (? body might be missing?), Battler, Gohda, and Eva. Kyrie definitely killed some of them, but since it's offscreen we don't know for sure exactly who. Eva didn't write the forgeries because the writer is still alive after she's died. Genji and Kumasawa would probably be in the same state as Eva - dying of illness or old age. Maria is actually dead; they found her jawbone. So if this story is canonical, the only reasonable candidates to be the forgery writer are Yasu, Battler, and Gohda. Assuming we eliminate Gohda because... well, I'm not sure what kind of sense that would make, it really has to be one of the other two.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Robindaybird posted:

given Eva basically sent her away to that school so that she would effectively disappear from sight and it's the sort of hoist-toity school that can effectively block out communications and has been used as a dumping ground for rich people's embarrassing kids as well as pampered favorites, it's possible if Battler survived, that he had no idea where his sister had disappeared to during most of her school life.

Yeah, that school has some serious security for sure, and no way they're letting him inside just because he claims to be a student's dead brother.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

MonsterEnvy posted:

Okay, I will admit that I chose Krauss and Natsuhi as best/least worst couple mostly because of Natsuhi :kimchi:, but Krauss "moon tourism" Ushiromiya was also kinda charming to see in the flashbacks where he was trying to show off Betel nuts. Krauss also hasn't been cruel to the servants, and seemed remorseful of the awful poo poo he did in the past, so that put him above Eva for me. But yeah not going to lie Eva and Hideyoshi are a legitimately good couple to each other.

PetraCore posted:

Hideyoshi kills everyone after the tragic death of Gohda by mispreparing food.

Pssst, no spoilers for episode 8's finale, gosh.

EagerSleeper fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Sep 16, 2017

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

idonotlikepeas posted:

Well, keep in mind I'm still hardline against witches, which means Eva never intentionally murdered anybody.
??? Eva very intentionally murdered Kyrie, Rudolf, Krauss, Natsushi, and Battler in episode 3. Or am I'm completely missing what you're trying to say here? Either way I think the big takeway from episode 3 is Eva would have done the murders, if Kyrie hadn't been quicker on the draw, so to speak.

quote:

For the record: the people we didn't just see killed are Genji, Kumasawa, Maria, Yasu (? body might be missing?), Battler, Gohda, and Eva. Kyrie definitely killed some of them, but since it's offscreen we don't know for sure exactly who. Eva didn't write the forgeries because the writer is still alive after she's died. Genji and Kumasawa would probably be in the same state as Eva - dying of illness or old age. Maria is actually dead; they found her jawbone. So if this story is canonical, the only reasonable candidates to be the forgery writer are Yasu, Battler, and Gohda. Assuming we eliminate Gohda because... well, I'm not sure what kind of sense that would make, it really has to be one of the other two.

Kyrie shot Gohda in the face. Reread the part where they use the phone to call George and Jessica out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

ZiegeDame posted:

??? Eva very intentionally murdered Kyrie, Rudolf, Krauss, Natsushi, and Battler in episode 3. Or am I'm completely missing what you're trying to say here? Either way I think the big takeway from episode 3 is Eva would have done the murders, if Kyrie hadn't been quicker on the draw, so to speak.

There's only one truth, because there's only one universe. The other "universes" are just stories written by either Yasu or the mysterious forgery writer that came up when we explored Ange's life, the one I'm accusing of being someone from the island. If you don't believe in witches, this is the only possible way it can be. Multiple universes, at least in this context, are a magical phenomenon.

So, if this is the canonical story, Eva never murdered anybody. Somebody wrote a story where she did it, but it never happened. You can reasonably dispute whether this was the canonical story, of course. The evidence for it is still somewhat thin, although I buy it.

ZiegeDame posted:

Kyrie shot Gohda in the face. Reread the part where they use the phone to call George and Jessica out.

Oh, yes, thank you, I had misremembered that.

• Locked thread