Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Captain Oblivious posted:

Sort of? I think the game is busted in that it can't account for more than one capture. I had a Templar and a Ranger get captured in my Ironman run. A rescue mission for the Templar happened fairly quickly. The Ranger though....it's been six months :negative:

He's part of that ADVENT trooper you just gunned down now :911:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
I had someone captured on a Covert Op mission and I never got a mission to recover them.

At the end of the game it didn't count them as lost.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

How are you guys using your reapers to max effectiveness, I feel like i get a couple of great situational shots then they're just kind of lovely snipers wandering around doing 7 damage per turn

Scouting in shadow all game, wiping out a whole pod with the claymore early on, once they have the perk that lets them stay in shadow after kill shots I use them as finishers a lot. Banish turns them into the best boss killers by far.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
How to use Reapers:

-scout the map
-trigger dangerous pods with claymore+grenade combo
-remote detonate pods if its possible
-use them to finish off low health enemies from shadow
-instantly kill every boss with banish if you feel like cheating

I like to give my Reapers stocks so they can finish off low health enemies safely no matter the hit chance. Really though their strength in combat is pretty situational, at at first. Outside of claymores they don't have any big damage abilities. Remote detonate is super strong but obviously reliant on the map. The trade-off for their low combat strength is that they are absurdly good at scouting so you should be getting ideal engagements every time.

Of course all that balance goes out the window once they get banish and can always instantly kill any enemy in the game if you give them an expanded mag. They go from being a weak, situational fighter to soloing sectopods.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Sep 15, 2017

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Kchama posted:

I had someone captured on a Covert Op mission and I never got a mission to recover them.

I assume once the psi network gets destroyed and advent gets overrun you get to waltz into the detention center and give them the ole "The war is over soldier... at ease" bit, right? :ohdear:

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Internet Kraken posted:

How to use Reapers:

-scout the map
-trigger dangerous pods with claymore+grenade combo
-remote detonate pods if its possible
-use them to finish off low health enemies from shadow
-instantly kill every boss with banish if you feel like cheating

I like to give my Reapers stocks so they can finish off low health enemies safely no matter the hit chance. Really though

Yeah this is exactly correct also in my last run Sting + Shredder was a solid opener on gatekeepers / sectopods.

Did I misread banish? I could have sworn that there were two enemies my reaper killed - does he change targets if the first one dies? If so dear god.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Tom Tucker posted:

Yeah this is exactly correct also in my last run Sting + Shredder was a solid opener on gatekeepers / sectopods.

Did I misread banish wrong? I could have sworn that there were two enemies my reaper killed - does he change targets if the first one dies? If so dear god.

The Reaper has a colonel level skill that makes banish change target to any enemy in LOS when the current one dies, so long as you have ammo. Is being able to kill any boss tier enemy not enough for you? Well now banish can be used to eliminate entire groups as well! Truly a balanced skill :regd09:

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Internet Kraken posted:

The Reaper has a colonel level skill that makes banish change target to any enemy in LOS when the current one dies, so long as you have ammo. Is being able to kill any boss tier enemy not enough for you? Well now banish can be used to eliminate entire groups as well! Truly a balanced skill :regd09:

That... That would explain it. I didn't use it much so I basically forgot, but now I am going to change my mind on that. It's so easy to flank an entire squad with an extended mag that's one pod down.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Tom Tucker posted:

Did I misread banish? I could have sworn that there were two enemies my reaper killed - does he change targets if the first one dies? If so dear god.

It has a second ability that upgrades it so it switches target if the first one dies.

Oh, my favorite final mission moment. My Sniper getting jumped by four Mutons (on purpose), and them and my Psi Operative wiped them all out in one turn. Lightning Hands + Face-Off + Void Rift.

My Sniper nearly oneshotted them all with his pistol. The Lightning Hands was really overkill.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Tom Tucker posted:

That... That would explain it. I didn't use it much so I basically forgot, but now I am going to change my mind on that. It's so easy to flank an entire squad with an extended mag that's one pod down.

Its 35 damage on average at Plasma assuming max extended mag. People are wildly overstating how powerful it is, you aren't deleting endgame pods with that.

Remember Reapers have gently caress all for crit too. And they can't natively equip ammo without a specific xcom perk. Its powerful, sure, but its not an insta-win skill.

Zore fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Sep 15, 2017

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Zore posted:

Its 35 damage on average at Plasma assuming max extended mag. People are wildly overstating how powerful it is, you aren't deleting endgame pods with that.

Remember Reapers have gently caress all for crit too. And they can't natively equip ammo without a specific xcom perk. Its powerful, sure, but its not an insta-win skill.

The math changes a bit if you have the Superior Repeater. 15% chance to insta-kill, 6 shots.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Kchama posted:

It's random, but it does happen. I got some dark event that meant I lost 3 soldiers during covert ops, and I got 2 of them back a few months later. You need to wait for a covert op to turn up called something like "Rescue: Soldier Name", you do that, then do a quick mission, and then you get them back.

Kchama posted:

My Sniper nearly oneshotted them all with his pistol. The Lightning Hands was really overkill.

Face Off is just hjilariously broken sometimes. I just ran into a huge fight with 3 groups at once, I hit them with Void Rift to soften them up, then one face off killed about 6 guys.

Gerblyn fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Sep 15, 2017

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Vengarr posted:

The math changes a bit if you have the Superior Repeater. 15% chance to insta-kill, 6 shots.
If you have the order/continent bonus that improves weapon mods, that's 20% chance with 7 shots, so yeah, good odds. Also, don't forget that they can crit, possibly use ammo bonuses (talon rounds and laser sights are mean), ignore 2 armor, and do bonus damage if the target took any damage that round.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Vengarr posted:

20% if you get the continent bonus that boosts attachements :twisted:

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Repeaters are kind of dumb, so saying Banish is broken because of how it interacts with them is a little silly. I really wish WotC had followed in LW2's footsteps and replaced repeaters with something more interesting.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I prioritize that Dark Event heaaavily. I passed up 100 intel or an Engineer just to kill that one.

The expansion Dark Events are brutal in general. Signal Jamming increases Scanning time by 50% for 6 weeks, what the fuuuuuuck. If you have Grim Horizon on and you let that one get through, GG.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Any thoughts on whether legendary without mods or Grim Horizon/Veteran would be harder?

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM

Vengarr posted:

I prioritize that Dark Event heaaavily. I passed up 100 intel or an Engineer just to kill that one.

The expansion Dark Events are brutal in general. Signal Jamming increases Scanning time by 50% for 6 weeks, what the fuuuuuuck. If you have Grim Horizon on and you let that one get through, GG.

They should probably reduce the cost to uncover dark events though...

It's ridiculously expensive to ID a dark event and sometimes its just something dumb

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Gerblyn posted:

It's random, but it does happen. I got some dark event that meant I lost 3 soldiers during covert ops, and I got 2 of them back a few months later. You need to wait for a covert op to turn up called something like "Rescue: Soldier Name", you do that, then do a quick mission, and then you get them back.

Face Off is just hjilariously broken sometimes. I just ran into a huge fight with 3 groups at once, I hit them with Void Rift to soften them up, then one face off killed about 6 guys.

Pistols are actually pretty good in X-COM 2! I watched Markplier's LPs from X-COM 1 and always got mad about how he'd obsess over using pistols whenever possible because it tended to screw him over.

But properly built Snipers actually do good work with pistols in War of the Chosen. Especially with Lost missions.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Ravenfood posted:

Any thoughts on whether legendary without mods or Grim Horizon/Veteran would be harder?

Legendary is easily harder because it increases the immediate difficulty of the early game. Grim Horizon potentially creates some very nasty buffs for the enemy, but it will take awhile for their effects to really start to stack up.

Once I finish my current legend run I want to do one with Grim Horizon. People complain about the victory lap portion, but Grim Horizon seems like to could make the late game significantly harder without messing with the early game much. Of course you kind of have to hope you don't get the extremely lovely events for the strategic layer that would also be permanent.

Angrymantium
Jul 19, 2007
Resistant to everything
I bought all the dlc with WotC and forgot about it until I ran into an alien facility with my B/C team outside of a reaper. Panicked when I saw the Berserker Queen, laughed when my reaper executed it on the second shot of banish with a superior repeater.

Whoever said banish will "only" be 35 damage on average isn't accounting for weapon mods or ammo type, there are plenty of ways to buff up their damage to make them delete buttons with incredible scouting abilities.

Also it's weird that my Templar was the absolute star of the midgame, but is kind of meh late since she miraculously rolled all pistol related skills later on. Do I have a chance to get them better skills with a training center? I don't give a poo poo about them having Lightning Hands or even fanfire when getting bladestorm made them a purple and yellow lawnmower before.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
Not sure if this has been linked already but this class mod has probably the weirdest comment thread in Steam Workshop

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1134356989

Someone is REALLY mad about SJWs

(also the mod itself is insanely bad)

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Angrymantium posted:

Also it's weird that my Templar was the absolute star of the midgame, but is kind of meh late since she miraculously rolled all pistol related skills later on. Do I have a chance to get them better skills with a training center? I don't give a poo poo about them having Lightning Hands or even fanfire when getting bladestorm made them a purple and yellow lawnmower before.

Wait you can do what with a Training Center? I don't remember my Templar being able to learn Bladestorm... I would have snapped that up right quick.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Kchama posted:

Wait you can do what with a Training Center? I don't remember my Templar being able to learn Bladestorm... I would have snapped that up right quick.

Mine got Faceoff. I should give him bluescreen or AP rounds one of these days and let him and the pistolero solo a map.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

Legendary is easily harder because it increases the immediate difficulty of the early game. Grim Horizon potentially creates some very nasty buffs for the enemy, but it will take awhile for their effects to really start to stack up.

Once I finish my current legend run I want to do one with Grim Horizon. People complain about the victory lap portion, but Grim Horizon seems like to could make the late game significantly harder without messing with the early game much. Of course you kind of have to hope you don't get the extremely lovely events for the strategic layer that would also be permanent.
Makes sense. I beat cmdr without too much trouble but thought the stacking events might provide enough extra challenge to mitigate the endgame victory lap while dropping it to veteran would reduce the difficulty enough to get an edge.

Angrymantium
Jul 19, 2007
Resistant to everything

Kchama posted:

Sorry, I mean to ask if you could get other skills from the training center, the way yoh could with the Advanced Warfare Center in vanilla. I know you can get sharpshooters chain shot and other out of class abilities, but I'm not sure if it works faction soldiers.

I lost a campaign on legendary due to Avatar clock mismanagement, and I'm on my second now. Both times my Templar got blademaster. I guess I've just gotten lucky there, but not lucky enough for my Templar to get Reaper in the late game.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
blademaster? or bladestorm

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Verviticus posted:

blademaster? or bladestorm

I get them mixed up super easy but Bladestorm is the comically OP gently caress you ability that I adore.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
What are some examples of nasty poo poo you can get with grim horizon.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I got a second Templar that has Bladestorm, Fortress, Lightning Hands and Faceoff. How do I build him? My other one got Bladestorm, Reaper, Sustain and ? so she's headed down the Parry -> Overcharge -> Deflect -> Reflect -> Psi Storm chain with Deep Focus thrown in. I feel like I could do something along the lines of Overcharge and Exchange to get stuck in with new pods where I can use Deflect and Reflect to keep me safe, but that needs Deep Focus to really work. On the other hand I could got for Amplify and Void Conduit, but that just seems like a worse Rupture, but... :psyduck: help plz

Also if anyone is curious the bonus abilities on a new solider appear to be frozen, which means they're probably locked in when you start the covert op or whatever event offers them as a reward.

Vengarr posted:

Get a resistance order or continent bonus and that jumps to iirc 20% and 7 shots. ~79% chance to instagib assuming all shots land (and with Reaper aim, they should).

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Sep 16, 2017

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM
The mod fixing brutal from doing permanent will damage is kind of a necessity isn't it?

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
Quick question. I only got about halfway through X-com 2 when it first came out due to some computer issues. I'm starting it back up again, should I get the expansion now or after I finish?

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

What are some examples of nasty poo poo you can get with grim horizon.

The nastier poo poo:

-Double intel costs (160 intel to contact a region with a tower next to it on legendary for extra gently caress you)
-Chance to get captured every ops mission
-Chance to get ambushed every ops mission
-Add health / armor to all advent troops
-Wipe out the black market
-Halve your supply income each drop
-More enemies each mission
-Double scan times for everything
-No chosen weaknesses
-Advent no longer trigger overwatch
-lost on every mission
-Missed shots have advent return fire
-XCOM soldiers lose more will each operation
-Double psi / hacking defense (not as bad in the grand scheme of things but it nerfs psi troopers)

A single one of these can be worked around (although no black market, double intel cost, and double scan times can end your run single handedly). But keep in mind that all of these are permanent, and all of these stack month after month after month.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

oswald ownenstein posted:

The mod fixing brutal from doing permanent will damage is kind of a necessity isn't it?

Yes.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
There's a mod that lets Templars rend work as a headshot and it is hilariously OP but fun as gently caress.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum

oswald ownenstein posted:

Not especially in my experience, as far as I know it only procs when the Chosen successfully hits your squad with an attack, which is somewhat unlikely past the early game. You might end up with a few soldiers who can't go on two successive missions but a deeper rotation takes care of that. Arguably that also delays getting soldiers promoted quickly for unlocks if you roll Brutal on the first Chosen you come across, but you can use covert ops to level up (or do the gimmick with Lost farming).

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Well I guess my first month is going to be powered by grenadiers

:stonklol:

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

It is August. I just encountered my first Sectopod, and this is my roster. I wiped my entire A-team on the Assassins's stronghold. The next mission I encountered the first Sectopod, which seemed to exclusively target what few veterans I had remaining. :shepicide:

help

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Quick question. I only got about halfway through X-com 2 when it first came out due to some computer issues. I'm starting it back up again, should I get the expansion now or after I finish?
I would play vanilla xcom2 then WOTC for the full effect. WOTC is better but more complex too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Ornamented Death posted:

True. Some have a 10-day turnaround time, too. More scientists and a lab do not affect it.

I'm not 100 but I think none of inspirations, breakthroughs, or shadow chamber things are affected by labs or beakers. Certainly felt burnt when I upgraded a lab with my last bit of power and rolled inspiration on tier 3 armor anyways.