Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

mlmp08 posted:

Pretty much the whole of 14, 25, and 35 series are on the front page of goarmy.com and offering both enlistment and reclass bonuses.

46 series will be like that soon. The branch is supposed to merge or someshit but the stuff we learn is loving easy street. None of my old coworkers are unemployed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

quote:

Greetings IRR Soldier in our Houston area of service:

Our Houston area IRR population was impacted by the Harvey Storm that hit the TX ground as a Hurricane Cat 4 just two weeks ago. Everywhere we go we can find Soldiers that had been affected by the storm flooding in our area and are still dealing with the aftermath. Sadly some have lost all their belongings, places to live, vehicles, equipment and even their jobs. The US Army has being tracking down the situation from the very beginning and have shared with us different kind of resources that can relief those directly affected by the storm. If you or any Soldier you might know need assistance from military sources or just want to know how can they help, share the information attached. Hope it helps!

Remember, the 2017 Hurricane season has just started!

If after the unfortunate events, you find yourself in need of additional income and you would like me to review if you are eligible to continue serving in the Reserves, I will be available to assist you in an individual basis.

Very Respectfully,

SFC Eva L. Quiles
Army Reserve Career Counselor

(By the way, I live nowhere near Houston and never did.)

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
It's all relative. Wherever you are at the Houston area is near relative to the army being in the area of intelligent.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF
Have any of you officerbros transferred to a functional area?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Ashmole posted:

My 5-year anniversary of transferring to functional area: civilian is tomorrow :)

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Ashmole posted:

I picked up 53A. Pretty sure my mortgage had less paperwork involved.

e: I received constructive credit from my civilian career, though, so there was substantially more documentation required. Also, I was given basically no assistance from my career manager or anyone else on it. Maybe you'll have better luck since you're regular army. Either way, it's worth doing if you're planning on staying in because it opens up all sorts of cool opportunities that nobody else in the Army gets. Probably the second best choice an O can make aside from getting out.

psydude fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Sep 15, 2017

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF

psydude posted:

I picked up 53A. Pretty sure my mortgage had less paperwork involved.

e: I received constructive credit from my civilian career, though, so there was substantially more documentation required. Also, I was given basically no assistance from my career manager or anyone else on it. Maybe you'll have better luck since you're regular army. Either way, it's worth doing if you're planning on staying in because it opens up all sorts of cool opportunities that nobody else in the Army gets. Probably the second best choice an O can make aside from getting out.

Oh I actually got an email about this one. I've been thinking about doing something less busy than combat arms at this point, but want to try to get to retirement. Do you need a special degree for it?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I've never understood what functional areas were for, all I was ever told was not to take one.

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!
Got told I have to interview for a HHC command. Interviewing for a job you don't want is the most army officer thing ever.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Triggs posted:

Got told I have to interview for a HHC command. Interviewing for a job you don't want is the most army officer thing ever.

poo poo on their cars.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Ashmole posted:

Oh I actually got an email about this one. I've been thinking about doing something less busy than combat arms at this point, but want to try to get to retirement. Do you need a special degree for it?

It depends on the functional area. Certain ones like Foreign Area Officer come with a free master's/PhD. Others require a relevant degree, although that's probably waiverable. Obviously, if you're going to try to be an astronaut then you probably can't have a history degree. For FA 53, I got constructive credit because I had work experience, a CCNP, and a CISSP. If you don't have that, they'll send you to the 6 month course to learn everything. I think the selection criteria involves a CS/IT degree or prior certs/experience.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

Triggs posted:

lol

all apologies
May 13, 2008

woah

Triggs posted:

You know what to do my man.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Triggs posted:

Would that be your first command?

I turned one down hard and that was a very good idea but ymmv.

iKon
Oct 4, 2000

CAN'T TEST
WON'T TEST
I'd take one as a second command if it's a chill unit, but gently caress doing an HHC as your primary if you're planning on staying in. Suffer on staff until something better comes along. Or find/create incriminating photos of your branch manager.

e: And only a BN HHC. gently caress a BDE HHC. It'd suck rear end trying to wrangle an O-6 into doing his loving flu shot.

iKon fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Sep 18, 2017

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Actually, I turned down 2-3 headquarters commands hard, now that I think about it, but got a much better command that was way harder, but also more enjoyable. The downside was they left me in command for a stupid long time.

iKon
Oct 4, 2000

CAN'T TEST
WON'T TEST
If you think it may be your only command it's 100% worth it to hold out for a line unit. Broadly speaking, command of a line unit will probably be your last time actually leading soldiers, because what's after that? Battalion command, MAYBE, a decade or more later? gently caress that. Take a line unit then get out or find a sweet functional area.

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!
I fully intend on getting out in a couple years and yeah, it'd be my first command. They already offered me a rear detachment command and I turned that one down pretty hard. My boss counseled me afterward and said I might have made it look like I wasn't a 'team player'.

The problem is that this HHC is in the same BN I'd want a line unit in so I have to be careful.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Heyyy we know you don't want this job and that'll probably affect your performance and you might even suck at it because you flat out don't want to do it but you better do it anyway!!

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

Heyyy we know you don't want this job and that'll probably affect your performance and you might even suck at it because you flat out don't want to do it but you better do it anyway!!

army.txt

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
We should be getting Mustang back sometime this weekend. I'm looking forward to what he has to say about his time at NTC.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

A Bad Poster posted:

We should be getting Mustang back sometime this weekend. I'm looking forward to what he has to say about his time at NTC.

Army people I find funny, in no order:
-Those who love the first 6-12 months, then detonate
-Company grade officers that say the army is cool but actually they mega hate it and blow up
-field grades who assume the form of their company-grade enemies
-very senior people who tell you to balance work/life/family while humble bragging about how they were 100% army instead of life/family and that's why they're so senior
-army civilians from pre-9/11 who talk mad poo poo and do rather little
-jokes and cute animals and people falling over, I guess

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

mlmp08 posted:

Army people I find funny, in no order:
-Those who love the first 6-12 months, then detonate
-Company grade officers that say the army is cool but actually they mega hate it and blow up
-field grades who assume the form of their company-grade enemies
-very senior people who tell you to balance work/life/family while humble bragging about how they were 100% army instead of life/family and that's why they're so senior
-army civilians from pre-9/11 who talk mad poo poo and do rather little
-jokes and cute animals and people falling over, I guess

Shitbags SPCs who think they got it all figured out and the NCOs they become (their own worst enemy).

The kids who act saltier than they've experienced.

The mega retard that never gets assigned major responsibilities, who turns out to be the only guy who figured out how to beat the army. Typically retires at E6-7.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Sep 21, 2017

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
The only people in the army who have it all figured out are the ones who figured out that the army sucks and they ets asap.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Wasabi the J posted:

Shitbags SPCs who think they got it all figured out and the NCOs they become (their own worst enemy).

I missed that.

Miserable failures who didn't get out because the Army is really weird/dumb, but who got booted for being failures, but then assume it's a badge of extreme capability.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

The only people in the army who have it all figured out are the ones who figured out that the army sucks and they ets asap.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Haha man I'm in a commo unit and I know idiots who did back to back 6year contracts.

Oh gently caress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYmn3Gwn3oI

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Man even just thinking about the army is so off putting.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
I think my favorite army person was the guy who was the only dude in the unit to deploy and then gain a ton of weight, got kicked out forcibly, then gloated that he was gonna make mad cash as a civilian, then I saw him about one month later with a gross mustache and an OEF VETERAN jacket and hat(!) while he bagged groceries at the commissary.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

psydude posted:

Man even just thinking about the army is so off putting.

right? ruins my day

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

mlmp08 posted:

I think my favorite army person was the guy who was the only dude in the unit to deploy and then gain a ton of weight, got kicked out forcibly, then gloated that he was gonna make mad cash as a civilian, then I saw him about one month later with a gross mustache and an OEF VETERAN jacket and hat(!) while he bagged groceries at the commissary.

Don't dox me

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

So this past week I really started following the beginner's guide in YLLS after a few months of biking and stair stepping. Doing the diet and exercise guide, lifting again, spending more time on the bike. And I actually enjoying it. I've discovered that I don't hate working out, I hated the way the Army made working out not fun. Like, I'm motivated by my health instead of some stupid number on a chart.

And no situps. Those are banned in my routine.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Yeah man. It took me forever to get over the Army's bullshit "NEVER STOP. BE FAST" form of running and actually enjoy running again. Like I'll go for a 6 mile trail run and stop at a few places to enjoy the scenery and it's OK that I didn't hit the 5 mile mark in under 40 minutes.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

It's basically this:

Except with PT, hiking, shooting, or anything else the Army tried to ruin.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Most of my BCT acquintances think BCT was the highlift of their life and Drill Sergeants were "father figures". Most of us hit our one year mark, so they got their nostalgia goggles on Facebook And I hate them.

173rd owns. Training was my life's dumbest experience.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Vahakyla posted:

Most of my BCT acquintances think BCT was the highlift of their life and Drill Sergeants were "father figures". Most of us hit our one year mark, so they got their nostalgia goggles on Facebook And I hate them.

No enlisting was, but you haven't gotten that far yet.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
BE MISERABLE WHY ARENT YOU MISERABLE

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

Vahakyla posted:

Most of these acquaintances probably ended somewhere else than "work 3 days a week from 9 to 1430" then.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

BE MISERABLE WHY ARENT YOU MISERABLE

GiP vets can't achieve happiness unless drawing Garmonbozia from current members of the military.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

mlmp08 posted:

GiP vets can't achieve happiness unless drawing Garmonbozia from current members of the military.
I'm going to go on record and say that Log Lady is perhaps the greatest television character ever written.