Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eponymous
Feb 4, 2008

Maybe I just want to be happy, huh?! Maybe I want my life to not be a trainwreck for five GOD DAMN minutes?!
To be fair, as far as I've read the reincarnated sword guy really hasn't used his human form very much, if at all, since he got it. He seems to be perfectly comfortable as a sword.

Also he just helped his daughter/wielder stealth murder a whole building of slavers Dishonored style, because gently caress slavers. It's not a great story by any means, but it's inoffensive enough to follow the releases for.

Edit: And on the other hand, Re: Monster is so goddamned terrible in every way. Avoid avoid avoid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Schubalts posted:

She got a dump of Maine's memories, which is how she knew Turi's name. She is herself, but with Maine's memories attached.

It could also be that they merged, but a frail little girl's sense of self isn't as deeply rooted as an adult librarian. There's a few details to the effect, like she immediately takes an interest in the same boy that the girl had a crush on previously.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Eponymous posted:

Edit: And on the other hand, Re: Monster is so goddamned terrible in every way. Avoid avoid avoid.

Why's that? I assume it has nothing to do with the manga Monster, as an aside? :v:

I've heard of it in passing, but it's kinda hard to keep all these terrible, typically rape filled, light novels straight.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Cuntellectual posted:

Why's that? I assume it has nothing to do with the manga Monster, as an aside? :v:

I've heard of it in passing, but it's kinda hard to keep all these terrible, typically rape filled, light novels straight.

It's so bad and also full of rape

Lt. Lizard posted:

I like Kumo desu ga, because the main character narration is fairly entertaining and it has interesting fights that are all about weak MC overcoming far stronger opponents through skill and smarts, but yeah, the current trend of "Hmmmm...what will happen, if I invest skill points into this random skill with weird description? Oh, looks like all my stats increased tenfold and I got access to a dozen completely overpowered abilities, neat!" is getting tiresome. The manga is still pretty good IMHO, but I can see how it will all turn to poo poo, considering the main character is currently on express train into "boring invincible demigod" territory.

lol

Eponymous
Feb 4, 2008

Maybe I just want to be happy, huh?! Maybe I want my life to not be a trainwreck for five GOD DAMN minutes?!

Cuntellectual posted:

Re: Monster is about a kung-fu genius esper who is stabbed to death by some crazy broad, gets reincarnated as a weak goblin in a fantasy world with video game elements, and embarks on a path of generic and listless adventure with an army entirely fuelled by his unearned overpowered abilities and literal farm-breeding rape camps.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Hellsau posted:

It cannot possibly be worse than Shield Hero.
I stuck with that one for a bit but boy howdy it got real bad. I should've listened when people said to drop it.

There was one face that the inexplicably now-adult sidekick character makes in a cover page where she is 100% walleyed that makes me laugh every time, she's supposed to be shouting something like look out or whatever, but is instead just making a literal :byodood: face

RareAcumen posted:

Spirit Migration was pretty fun up until they gave the MC a child sized homunculus to inhabit.
Did that one get cancelled? I recall it ended rather abruptly, didn't it? It was a fun series while it lasted though, certainly better than the likes of shield hero and such. Also that golem design was dope, like something out of gunbuster/diebuster.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

Did that one get cancelled? I recall it ended rather abruptly, didn't it? It was a fun series while it lasted though, certainly better than the likes of shield hero and such. Also that golem design was dope, like something out of gunbuster/diebuster.

I dunno, I'm always surprised when stuff just ends suddenly. As far as I know, it's still going.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Oh, is it a light novel that's still ongoing? The manga ended abruptly.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic

Magi should have stayed the fantastical adventures of Aladdin, Ali Baba and Morgan going through dungeons and poo poo and having fun, instead of whatever it turned into when I eventually gave up.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

Oh, is it a light novel that's still ongoing? The manga ended abruptly.

Okay lemme try again. I have no clue about stuff getting canceled or continuing. <- And that applies to every manga. Because of that ignorance, I just assume stuff is either still being made or translated. So I have no clue if it stopped forever or not, I just assume the next chapter is taking a while to be made.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Pierson posted:

Magi should have stayed the fantastical adventures of Aladdin, Ali Baba and Morgan going through dungeons and poo poo and having fun, instead of whatever it turned into when I eventually gave up.
Yah i miss when it was more adventure and less incomprehensible, but I'm rolling with it and all the cosmic malarkey going on is still vaguely entertaining. I just never found the djinn equips or battles super cosmetically appealing. For me the peak of the series was the world building, just having them move from different country to country, learning the various forms of government and so forth. Dumbledore Hitler was still a dope arc.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

RareAcumen posted:

Okay lemme try again. I have no clue about stuff getting canceled or continuing. <- And that applies to every manga. Because of that ignorance, I just assume stuff is either still being made or translated. So I have no clue if it stopped forever or not, I just assume the next chapter is taking a while to be made.
Gotcha, wasn't sure if you were one of the eerily well-informed users or not. :v:

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

That's kind of a weird thought isn't it?
Fourteen

There's a least 3-4 pages every chapter that I could post, god drat.

Zeratanis fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Sep 19, 2017

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Fourteen is really something else.

It has to be seen to be believed. Heck, I've read the whole thing, and I still have trouble believing it was a thing that was actually published and sold for money.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

it owns

Tsubasa2004
Feb 14, 2003

Eponymous posted:

Re: Monster is about a kung-fu genius esper who is stabbed to death by some crazy broad, gets reincarnated as a weak goblin in a fantasy world with video game elements, and embarks on a path of generic and listless adventure with an army entirely fuelled by his unearned overpowered abilities and literal farm-breeding rape camps.

You left out cannibal. Dude is also a cannibal, even *before* he gets isekai'd.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
But it's really cool because he has the power the absorb the powers of anything he eats!!!

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

AnonSpore posted:

But it's really cool because he has the power the absorb the powers of anything he eats!!!

I'd rather just read a Kirby manga

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Hellsau posted:

It cannot possibly be worse than Shield Hero.

Re: Monsters is definitely worse. It's a story that has a man basically ascend to the position of "demon Lord" that always appears in these isekai stories by way of DragonQuest. Except the author tries to frame the main character as an admirable and morally righteous character. It's already been mentioned about the rapey nature of the story but allow me to elaborate. The main character is born into the goblin race, said goblins instead of using their own females breed with human women. Not by choice since they are an uncivilized and monstrous race. Main character once he gets old and strong enough mercy kills the battered and broken women (one of whom was his mother) and puts an end to the whole practice. So you would think that this means he'll try and find another way to handle the birth rate since kidnapping is off the menu right?

No. instead the program switches to a combination of abusing P.O.Ws and utilizing an ability he later gains to secrete various substances to create the type of aphrodesiac that only exists in hentai logic. So anyone captured gets doped with the stuff and locked up in such a way that they will eventually succumb to their desires and "consent" to being a pleasure partner for the tribe. This is unironically treated as good and every single victim eventually comes to like their situation no matter how unwilling they were when they got into the cave. Not to mention the original band of women gravitating to him through Stockholm syndrome even before the drugs started flowing.

The problem with Re: Monster is that the main character is the poster child for Gary Stu. Everything goes his way he never gets set back by anything. Injuries work out for him, loss turns into even greater gain. He gets as many powers as problems he will encounter and then some. And the story bends over backwards to have people stoke his ego and sing his praises. And he's always got the next evolution or powerup that "hasn't been seen in a millenia" and is favored by the gods themselves.

Shield Hero is edgy and filled with idiots to make Naofumi look good by comparison; but his story is not on the same tier of bad as Rou's. Re: Monster is on the same level as Maou no Hajimekata and Dungeon Seeker.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
There was a comparison that kept intruding on me whenever this stuff was brought up and I finally figured out what it was: Western military sci-fi.

Basically two entire genres filled with reactionary reprobate garbage with only a few standout jewels buoying it up at all.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Brought To You By posted:

Re: Monsters is definitely worse. It's a story that has a man basically ascend to the position of "demon Lord" that always appears in these isekai stories by way of DragonQuest. Except the author tries to frame the main character as an admirable and morally righteous character. It's already been mentioned about the rapey nature of the story but allow me to elaborate. The main character is born into the goblin race, said goblins instead of using their own females breed with human women. Not by choice since they are an uncivilized and monstrous race. Main character once he gets old and strong enough mercy kills the battered and broken women (one of whom was his mother) and puts an end to the whole practice. So you would think that this means he'll try and find another way to handle the birth rate since kidnapping is off the menu right?

No. instead the program switches to a combination of abusing P.O.Ws and utilizing an ability he later gains to secrete various substances to create the type of aphrodesiac that only exists in hentai logic. So anyone captured gets doped with the stuff and locked up in such a way that they will eventually succumb to their desires and "consent" to being a pleasure partner for the tribe. This is unironically treated as good and every single victim eventually comes to like their situation no matter how unwilling they were when they got into the cave. Not to mention the original band of women gravitating to him through Stockholm syndrome even before the drugs started flowing.

The problem with Re: Monster is that the main character is the poster child for Gary Stu. Everything goes his way he never gets set back by anything. Injuries work out for him, loss turns into even greater gain. He gets as many powers as problems he will encounter and then some. And the story bends over backwards to have people stoke his ego and sing his praises. And he's always got the next evolution or powerup that "hasn't been seen in a millenia" and is favored by the gods themselves.

Shield Hero is edgy and filled with idiots to make Naofumi look good by comparison; but his story is not on the same tier of bad as Rou's. Re: Monster is on the same level as Maou no Hajimekata and Dungeon Seeker.

When you type 3 huge paragraphs about it, I kinda feel like I need to read it just to see for myself.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Wow yeah it's pretty bad.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Pierson posted:

There was a comparison that kept intruding on me whenever this stuff was brought up and I finally figured out what it was: Western military sci-fi.

Basically two entire genres filled with reactionary reprobate garbage with only a few standout jewels buoying it up at all.

And now there's a series that combines the two about an Isekai dude reincarnating as the AI of a mil sci-fi starship!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Now what kind of Isekai- I learned a new word, yay!- would you classify Saga of Tanya the Evil as?

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I'm trying to wrap my head around the logic of a character tearing down the goblin rape camps like "this can't be allowed to continue. You have to drug them first" then restarts the goblin rape camps with extra steps.

If I ever succeed, put a bullet in me.

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.
The only thing I remember about Re:Monster was a translators note complaining about how pointlessly complex and edgy all the names were in Japanese. It was then I realised chuunibyou aren't just an anime thing, they actually exist and they write poo poo like this. I'm glad I dropped it early.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

on the off chance somebody still hasn't already discovered the joys of grand blue

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Grand Blue is great and has some incredibly good expressions in it.

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.
Oh right this thread is for recommending manga.

Ninja Shinobu-san no Junjou
Funny the whole way through and get this, the male lead actually has "attractive qualities" beyond simply being the main character. Honestly I had to do a double-take just writing this.

Not too long either, only 30 chapters.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

kimetsu no yaiba has the best boys

Can now confirm.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Doc Hawkins posted:

Can now confirm.

The next pages are also fantastic. Kimetsu no Yaiba is presently in my top 3.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

PrinnySquadron posted:

Grand Blue is great and has some incredibly good expressions in it.

Grand Blue is also good because its a comedy manga that actually tells jokes instead of just presenting a wacky situation and having the characters look at the reader while saying "Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!

unseenlibrarian posted:

And now there's a series that combines the two about an Isekai dude reincarnating as the AI of a mil sci-fi starship!

It does say a lot that I'm not sure if you're serious or not.

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

Nuramor posted:

It does say a lot that I'm not sure if you're serious or not.

There's a novel that's kind of the reverse of that, Ancillary Justice.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

jizzy sillage posted:

There's a novel that's kind of the reverse of that, Ancillary Justice.

this is a 3 book series and it is extremely good

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

I found the no gender/misgender thing really annoying to read. She/it is a super powerful AI with perfect memory, you think she'd assign a gender in the languages she had to and stick with it, but characters who have sexes are constantly having their gender switched back and forth at random. I never read the other two.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Could someone recomend me mangas/artists that are really good at conveying action sequences? I was told to start with Dragonball Z, but there are probably other (better?) examples out there.

e: couldn't find a general manga q's thread

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I can't recall when it went all-in 200% on laserbeams and eye-powers but until it did Naruto had really good action. I have some pretty strong memories of a ton of well-drawn and actually clever fights until around about the big timeskip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

mike12345 posted:

Could someone recomend me mangas/artists that are really good at conveying action sequences? I was told to start with Dragonball Z, but there are probably other (better?) examples out there.

e: couldn't find a general manga q's thread

That's a great question and I wish I could give you a ton of examples but sadly I have a terrible memory. So I can only give you two.

Kengan Ashua- that's Ashua, not Ashura. Don't make the same mistake I did- by SANDROVICH Yabako and the One Punch Man redraw by the mighty Murata

OPM:

If it's possible to slow a gif down, feel free to go ahead and do so.

Kengan Ashua:

That's like the second fight of the series and now we're just a bit past this:

• Locked thread