Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Closer than you might have think. The judge notes before discussing he officer's testimony that he is a West Point graduate and was injured in Iraq.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Hey guys. Remember when the "impersonate a cop" mini game in GTA was satire?

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Canemacar posted:

Hey guys. Remember when the "impersonate a cop" mini game in GTA was satire?

Remember when GTA was satire?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

BigDave posted:

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/...bc39191de0.html

Talks about the AK, but doesn't say if it was fired or not.

Also this is what kind of AK it was: leeched image

I went ahead and uploaded the pic to imgur because it's not going to pull up for most SA posters when it's hotlinked.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

hobbesmaster posted:

Closer than you might have think. The judge notes before discussing he officer's testimony that he is a West Point graduate and was injured in Iraq.

If the cop used to be an army officer then isn't it a safe assumption that everything he put in his report is a lie?

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
https://twitter.com/NatashaBertrand/status/908774003376033792

https://twitter.com/sluggahjells/status/908775683257708546

Epiphyte
Apr 7, 2006

I refuse to believe that man has never come across a pair of mournful tits

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtB_jvznaNM

Epiphyte fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Sep 15, 2017

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Epiphyte posted:

I refuse to believe that man has never come across a pair of mournfal tits

It was like two suicide notes stuffed in a glitter bra.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
The judge's order spells out a lot of it, but none of the witnesses (including the non-police ones) supported the prosecution's version of events, the prosecution never managed to prove he planted the drop gun, and the defense did a good job of creating reasonable doubt.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I don't think self defense should clear you of murder when you put yourself in harms way needlessly

I am not the justice system.

Edited for clarity.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Kawasaki Nun posted:

If the cop used to be an army officer then isn't it a safe assumption that everything he put in his report is a lie?

Not if you're a judge apparently.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Dead Reckoning posted:

The judge's order spells out a lot of it, but none of the witnesses (including the non-police ones) supported the prosecution's version of events, the prosecution never managed to prove he planted the drop gun, and the defense did a good job of creating reasonable doubt.

What were the prosecutors prosecuting on if the plaintiff was dead and their version of events differered from the video and witnesses. Like apparently what the witnesses said was still bad, but not "definitely planted the gun" reasonable doubt.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Looks like old people in Florida voted for Rick Scott and died because of it.

https://twitter.com/WardDPatrick/status/908792038585458688

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/article173437936.html

Scott's statement: https://twitter.com/DeFede/status/908793908800507904

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Sep 15, 2017

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

I don't think self defense should clear you of murder when you put yourself in harms way needlessly

Edited for clarity.

I donno, it worked pretty well for George Zimmerman!

AmericanBarbarian
Nov 23, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

I went ahead and uploaded the pic to imgur because it's not going to pull up for most SA posters when it's hotlinked.

Ah thanks for that link, I was confused when I read the verdict and the judge called it a AK-47 pistol. Makes sense now.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

Thing is, it is quite literally the job of the police to inject themselves into dangerous situations in order to serve the interests of the state.

M_Gargantua posted:

What were the prosecutors prosecuting on if the plaintiff was dead and their version of events differered from the video and witnesses. Like apparently what the witnesses said was still bad, but not "definitely planted the gun" reasonable doubt.
The prosecution's theory was that Stockley shot Smith four times, then deliberately executed him with a fifth shot from less than 6" away. None of the witnesses reported a gap in the shots, and the prosecution's evidence was a "puff of smoke" on the video. The prosecution's DNA expert stated on cross examination that not finding Smith's DNA on the gun was not proof that he hadn't touched it, and the medical examiner testified that Smith's wounds, while not conclusive on their own, were consistent with someone leaning to the right to pick something up, as Stockley testified. The prosecution apparently didn't rebut this. The judge also says that he can't see in the video anywhere Stockley could have been concealing the drop gun when he returned from the police car, but that's an incredibly generous interpretation, IMO, given that we're talking about a snubnosed .38 revolver. The circumstantial evidence (unauthorized AK pistol, poorly explained return to the police vehicle, saying "gonna kill that fucker") was pretty damning, and I think a jury trial would have gone differently, but in the judge's opinion none of it was sufficient to prove all the elements of first degree murder beyond a reasonable doubt.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Dead Reckoning posted:

Thing is, it is quite literally the job of the police to inject themselves into dangerous situations in order to serve the interests of the state.

I think you ignored the huge "needlessly" qualifier.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

BigDave posted:

Just to clarify: in left hand, Beretta 92. In right hand, AK SBR w/100 round drum mag. Being fired at the same time.

And somebody looked at this, presumably someone with a legal background, and said 'yep, no problem here!'.

I'm sure Dead Reckoning will be able to illuminate us on why this is good and just.

Edit: Should have refreshed the thread. Lmao.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

BadOptics posted:

I'm sure Dead Reckoning will be able to illuminate us on why this is good and just.

Stockley's flagrant breaking of department rules about duty weapons isn't material to whether or not his killing of Smith was both premeditated an unlawful, the thing he was being charged with? :shrug:

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Dead Reckoning posted:

Stockley's flagrant breaking of department rules about duty weapons isn't material to whether or not his killing of Smith was both premeditated an unlawful, the thing he was being charged with? :shrug:

i think him saying on camera he was going to kill him before killing him gives the indication of intent :shrug:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

i think him saying on camera he was going to kill him before killing him gives the indication of intent :shrug:

But you couldn't hear the full context that phrase was in!
-a thing that judge put in his ruling

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

That's not what BadOptics and BigDave were talking about.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Dead Reckoning posted:

That's not what BadOptics and BigDave were talking about.

i don't care

you can say whatever you want and type a bunch of words but the dude got off because the justice system is poo poo.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
there were a lot of mountains in the way to dissipate the full impact of his words

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
"Feared for my life"

Congrats you have the magic get out of jail free card if you have a badge or you're some neighborhood watch guy who shoots a black kid

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Cops should just be trained to scream "I'm so scared for my life!" before every single encounter.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Proud Christian Mom posted:

"Feared for my life"

Congrats you have the magic get out of jail free card if you have a badge or you're some neighborhood watch guy who shoots a black kid

What about crotchety old white rednecks?

"Mr. Jones, why did you shoot Alshon Jeffery five times in the face?"

"I feared for my team's playoff and financial success, I had no choice!"

Laugh now, but it could happen.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

bird food bathtub posted:

That is....wow. I have not heard about that cop story until today and holy poo poo balls if the place erupts into riots it sounds totally justified to me. When does it get to the point where those communities tell the police to just stay the gently caress out, they feel safer without them around? Sure as poo poo looks like it's heading that direction.

It's kind of amazing. My coworkers are almost exclusively middle aged white women and they all think this is bullshit. Facebook and friends are reporting the same, that even middle class white suburbanites around here think he should have been convicted.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Dead Reckoning posted:

Eh, I lived in Albuquerque during the federal investigation. The cops were consistently escalating harmless situations into ones where they could have an excuse to beat or murder somebody. Usually this gets hand-waved as "lack of training." Makes me wonder just what the hell they're being taught in the months and years of training they already receive.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
It's worth noting that Buffalo of all places went more than four years without a fatal police shooting, thanks in part to good luck, good training, and a focused effort on working with the community.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I think cops should be embedded with communities, particularly higher risk communities like inner cities.

Instead of cops only showing up when a body drops in Chicago, for example, those kids should know cops by name and be able to feel like they are friends with them. That might go a long way to helping alleviate a lot of inner city violence AND eliminating distrust between people and the police.

I'm probably talking crazy talk and describing some utopia where funding exists and cops aren't as scared of young black men in the inner cities as much as young black men in the inner cities are scared of cops. But hey a guy can dream.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

Cops should just be trained to scream "I'm so scared for my life!" before every single encounter.

Minority Drill 1A:

Hit the dirt.
Yell "I'm scared for my life!"
Kill unarmed suspect
Plant gun

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Thats not your purse I dont know you!

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

I think cops should be embedded with communities, particularly higher risk communities like inner cities.

Instead of cops only showing up when a body drops in Chicago, for example, those kids should know cops by name and be able to feel like they are friends with them. That might go a long way to helping alleviate a lot of inner city violence AND eliminating distrust between people and the police.

I'm probably talking crazy talk and describing some utopia where funding exists and cops aren't as scared of young black men in the inner cities as much as young black men in the inner cities are scared of cops. But hey a guy can dream.

When a sheepdog sleeps in the field it starts to think its just another sheep

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Kawasaki Nun posted:

When a sheepdog sleeps in the field it starts to think its just another sheep

That why Staten Island is full of badge humping bitches

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

That's literally what's described in the article I posted:

quote:

[A]t Buffalo’s 2006 Juneteenth festival, a young man fired toward a crowd with a machine pistol. Violence was a recurring problem at Buffalo Juneteenth, where local gang members went to intimidate their enemies. Nineteen-year-old Pierre Martin heard gunfire that afternoon and believed his friends were in danger. He returned fire with a MAC-10, the bullets escaping so quickly that he lost count of the shots. Miraculously, no one was struck. But the police went after him, and Pierre Martin began to run.

Lt. Steve Nichols chased him out of the park and onto a side street, where he disappeared behind a house. Someone on a front porch silently pointed Nichols in the right direction. I have to shoot this kid, Nichols remembers thinking. He came around the corner, gun drawn, and saw Martin, hands on knees, catching his breath. Martin would say he’d already thrown away the gun, but Nichols would recall seeing it at his feet, barrel still smoking.

Nichols did not shoot. He charged, knocking Martin down and applying handcuffs. Martin took a plea deal and spent less than two years in prison. He left the gang, missed out on a bank robbery and entered peaceful civilian life. And that day became a turning point in Buffalo history.

City leaders made a plan to save Juneteenth: They asked several groups of anti-violence activists to join forces in a new organization called the Buffalo Peacemakers. The Peacemakers turned out at the next Juneteenth, helping police identify and peacefully remove nearly 80 gang members. It worked so well that Mayor Byron Brown expanded the Peacemakers' role and eventually found money to pay them modest stipends. Today they serve as a kind of civilian buffer between the police and the community, a benevolent presence that helps each group see the other in a better light. Nichols is now the captain in charge of community policing, and a 6-foot-7 grandfather named Murray “Six” Holman leads the Peacemakers. Nichols recently said to Holman, “I talk to you probably more than I talk to my wife.”

Make no mistake: Buffalo has a history of police misconduct just like any other city. Local news outlets have reported extensively on police scandals large and small. One of the Peacemakers, Willie Green, remembers the time in 1997 when an officer wrote him a speeding ticket. Green called him a liar in court. When they met again on the street, according to Green, “He choked me and said, ‘If you see me, you run.’” In 2014, an officer was caught on smartphone video punching a handcuffed suspect. Public defender Rebecca Town said she is not convinced officers always have probable cause when they stop and question young men on the street. One of those young men, Brandon Grazes, 23, said he was recently walking with a bag of groceries in one hand and an icicle in the other. He was joking around with a friend, pretending to have a cane, but he says an officer told him to throw it on the ground because it could be a weapon.

“Buffalo police know how to ruin a mood,” he said.

The Peacemakers and other anti-violence activists work hard to change that perception. This matters for several reasons. Young people who don’t hate or distrust the police are less likely to draw guns on the police, and thereby less likely to get shot by the police. Arlee Daniels Jr., former leader of the Manhattan Lovers street gang, teaches young men to show their hands, give their names, show ID. He tells them, “Police are not there to hurt you.” Peacemaker George Johnson says some children in Buffalo’s poor neighborhoods have never seen Lake Erie, even though it’s four or five miles away. He takes them on fishing trips and brings police officers along. If it’s easy to hate the uniform, it’s harder to hate the person who helped you reel in your first bass.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Hot take: the judge and prosecution were sandbagging because persecuting cops like they were citizens happens like never.

They did the paperwork for the killing but that doesn't justify it.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

He takes them on fishing trips and brings police officers along. If it’s easy to hate the uniform, it’s harder to hate the person who helped you reel in your first bass. 

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Grognan posted:

Hot take: the judge and prosecution were sandbagging because persecuting cops like they were citizens happens like never.

They did the paperwork for the killing but that doesn't justify it.

The city attorney is black and campaigned on reform.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Does anybody have that chart with Mr. Meeseeks and country relations? I think it needs an update.

• Locked thread