Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Peetown Manning posted:

Torque wrench? You just gun it til it clicks, right?

Tighten until it loosens, then back out a quarter turn.

e: quote for context on new page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
What came first, the sign or the uxo?

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Ratzap posted:

Or maybe done deliberately so they could get a "wrong" wheel to fit? The bolts don't all line up in the same place in their slot.

That's what I was thinking. The post pattern didn't match the wheel holes, so they improvised. :stonklol:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
https://i.imgur.com/dZUvO4L.mp4

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
Never been sad to see a cabover get wrecked

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/b8TXd3Z.mp4

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Positive OSHA, looks like a good clean demolition.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

No earpro or safety glasses, mower operator isn't wearing work boots and should also probably be wearing a hat to protect from the sun, un-attended child in the work area.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

C.M. Kruger posted:

No earpro or safety glasses, mower operator isn't wearing work boots and should also probably be wearing a hat to protect from the sun, un-attended child in the work area.

also the kid sucks at mowing, look at the patches he's missed

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

kid is a loving retard. he should gently caress off.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Doesn't Trump have anything better to do than yell at the help?

Oh wait, nevermind.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Propaganda Hour posted:

Doesn't Trump have anything better to do than yell at the help?

shut the gently caress up

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Asehujiko posted:

What came first, the sign or the uxo?

"Gunner Butts*, I have some good news and some bad news. The good news is, you're no longer on latrine duty. Now, I have these signs I want you to nail up..."
*Schütze Arsch

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Russian Groverhaus.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
That's from pathologic, right?

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

No path o' logic leads to that.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Wine barrel fermented too fast.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SKjjvGoeJM
Looks like tubgirl

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Thumposaurus posted:

Looks like tubgirl

Wish my hangover poo poo went that well this morning, gently caress

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Thumposaurus posted:

Looks like tubgirl

Shoulda used Cherokee Hair.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

quote:

This lack of circulation in the cotton mills caused an epidemic of brown lung disease. People with brown lung feel like they are drowning when they lie down. It is very hot in this region in the summer, so families would put recliners on the porches so the people with brown lung could sleep at night. Though efforts to unionize at that point had been completely unsuccessful, some workers were able to make these "quiet sickness" signs to encourage people passing through to be quiet at night.

XenJ
Aug 1, 2014

Applesnots posted:

Shoulda used Cherokee Hair.

drat I wished I had this earlier this day for the birthdayparty of a friend...

Looks like lot of fun for a party...to open the barrel :p

Dairy Days
Dec 26, 2007

Fasdar posted:

Also do you think I will be able to use this device to lazer etch circuit boards onto conductive painted surfaces??

https://www.amazon.com/MG-Chemicals-Conductive-Coating-Aerosol/dp/B005T8O7X

the laser is less than a watt, it's going to be impossible to cut metal of any useful thickness
even if you had a more powerful laser, its a bad idea to use them on metal without ventilation or a gas mask
even if you did all that, how are you going to solder on to your spray on metal poo poo without it melting and disintegrating
just get some copper clad fr4 and ferric chloride like a normal person

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JYfLgsu1sQ
Observations:
120V: Operates normally
270V: Very loud, then sparks and dies
500V: Catches on fire

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

Three-Phase posted:

Observations:

Gotta love that bloke. Wish he uploaded more.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Fanelien posted:

Gotta love that bloke. Wish he uploaded more.

I need to check at work to see if maybe I could make a video like that.

120V: Runs normally
480V: Catches on fire(?)
600V: Catches on fire(?)
4160V: Catches on fire(?)

Probably wouldn't be OK'ed.

Anyways I was working at a place where we were taking apart some switchgear and there were sections where the unshielded high-voltage cables made contact with metal at the side/bottom of the cabinet. There were actually dark marks on the cabinet where corona discharge was developing through the cables. So you could see where the cables were touching the cabinet.

So the lesson here is that at high voltages (>1000V or so) if you have unshielded insulated cables, you need to treat them as if they are bare. They cannot touch each other, and cannot touch metal surfaces. Otherwise you need to have shielded cables. Those are set up like this:

• Conductor
  • Semiconductor
  • Insulator
  • Insulator shield (rubber)
  • Shield (like a metal foil)
  • Outer jacket (PVC)

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Sep 17, 2017

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Three-Phase posted:

I need to check at work to see if maybe I could make a video like that.

120V: Runs normally
480V: Catches on fire(?)
600V: Catches on fire(?)
4160V: Catches on fire(?)

Probably wouldn't be OK'ed.

Anyways I was working at a place where we were taking apart some switchgear and there were sections where the unshielded high-voltage cables made contact with metal at the side/bottom of the cabinet. There were actually dark marks on the cabinet where corona discharge was developing through the cables. So you could see where the cables were touching the cabinet.

So the lesson here is that at high voltages (>1000V or so) if you have unshielded insulated cables, you need to treat them as if they are bare. They cannot touch each other, and cannot touch metal surfaces. Otherwise you need to have shielded cables. Those are set up like this:

• Conductor
  • Semiconductor
  • Insulator
  • Insulator shield (rubber)
  • Shield (like a metal foil)
  • Outer jacket (PVC)

What's the purpose or the semiconductor? Also, what semiconductor do you use? I'm only familiar with them in small electronic contexts (ie "wires, not cables")

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Hubis posted:

What's the purpose or the semiconductor? Also, what semiconductor do you use? I'm only familiar with them in small electronic contexts (ie "wires, not cables")

It's called a "semiconductor" but that's sort of a bad name for it. It's a material that's nowhere near as conductive as the actual conductor (copper or aluminum) but it's also doesn't have the extreme resistance as the insulator.

The semiconductor fills in the gaps between the braided conductor and the insulator. This helps make sure the voltage is the same around the insulator. If you had a void or uneven surface, you may have a point where corona discharge could start damaging the cable. It's sort of like a pipe filled with a liquid at a high pressure, and making sure that pressure is even throughout the walls inside the pipe.

Those layers have to be maintained when you splice two high voltage cables together, and properly tapered off when you do something like connect a high voltage cable to a termination or a busbar.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Hubis posted:

e: f;b Just read Three Phase’s answer since he works with this stuff regularly.

“Semiconductor” is a bit of a misnomer here.

It’s a nonconductive polymer mixed with a conductor like carbon. It has more in common with an antistatic mat than with a silicon wafer.

The purpose of the semiconducting layer is to create a region of uniform potential around the cable to dissuade the electric charge inside from doing something like discharging to the ground (or to the shield) through the insulation on one side.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Platystemon posted:

The purpose of the semiconducting layer is to create a region of uniform potential around the cable to dissuade the electric charge inside from doing something like discharging to the ground (or to the shield) through the insulation on one side.

Yeah and that's bad, since in a proper installation the shield is grounded.

I think that with that sort of thing you get a cascading failure - current flow through that fault would rapidly increase. The more current flows the more the insulator is damaged. The more the insulator is damaged the more current flows.

Some of these high voltage systems are delta-connected so there's no significant reference to ground. So if that happened you'd need a set of potential transformers set up to detect that a ground fault had occurred as minimal current would flow. (Or with a resistive-grounded wye, you'd have neutral current flowing through a huge resistor to ground, limiting the current to a thousand amps or so. Enough to trip protection but not enough to blow equipment apart.) That's getting a bit technical...

(It's nice to have some secondary verification in case we missed something here.)

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Sep 17, 2017

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Three-Phase posted:

Observations:

Maybe this isn't the best place to ask, but what do you use to properly convert voltages for devices like that, or more power-hungry devices like a modern desktop computer? I may be moving to Ireland and have only ever found adapters that make the plug fit, but realize that you need more than that for things more powerful than your phone charger. Is there a specific place to find actual, well-made voltage converters that aren't merely the $10 universal adapters on Amazon?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Specifically PCs are capable of doing a range, if you look on the back it'll probably be fine to plug it into whatever (for a laptop), or there's be a switch on the PSU to swap between 110 and 240 for desktops. Just read the small prints.

More generally, for bigger consumer products you'll get a fat rear end transformer that weighs five+ kilos and is the size of a shoebox.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Buff Skeleton posted:

Maybe this isn't the best place to ask, but what do you use to properly convert voltages for devices like that, or more power-hungry devices like a modern desktop computer? I may be moving to Ireland and have only ever found adapters that make the plug fit, but realize that you need more than that for things more powerful than your phone charger. Is there a specific place to find actual, well-made voltage converters that aren't merely the $10 universal adapters on Amazon?

If it is electronic, your device most likely already supports 230V. Household appliances should be replaced instead of shipped over.
Down-stepping converters have a power limit anyway.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Three-Phase posted:

Observations:

Okay this is terrifying: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LT5_-A0m8_U&t=315s

His little laugh and the loving plug

Necrosaro
Dec 31, 2008

A Necrosaro Appears!
Fun Shoe

Buff Skeleton posted:

Also the hertz is different over there. It is 60hz in North America and 50hz in Europe. So an adapter or power supply has to deal with that also.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Necrosaro posted:

Also the hertz is different over there. It is 60hz in North America and 50hz in Europe. So an adapter or power supply has to deal with that also.

The label on the PSU or transformer/wall wart will tell you if it will auto-switch or not (most can). If it's unclear, manufacturer's spec sheet online should let you know.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

aphid_licker posted:

:stare:

Whipstickagostop
Apr 30, 2006

Planet: Xeno Prime

Three-Phase posted:

Observations:

This guy has the creepiest voice...

Didn't he once have a video of him shining a laser at an airport which earned him a visit from the local police?

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

aphid_licker posted:

Okay this is terrifying: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LT5_-A0m8_U&t=315s

Film sets work with this stuff daily it's not really that weird. A 20k bulb is a little weird unless you're outdoors or shooting slow motion. But it's not that weird to put 100 something amps on a cable.

Our 100amp cables are also much less safe looking than that.

:911:

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Whipstickagostop posted:

This guy has the creepiest voice...

I know he's talking about the things he does with electricity but all I can hear is the things he can do with restraints and soundproofing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
It's pretty telling that he was married when he started the channel and then he started talking about divorce and then his house filled with crazy transformers and poo poo.