Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Catastrophe is a training dummy if you're ranged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Catastrophe has good uptime for melees but it absolutely sucks for positionals

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

Sprouts are adorable :allears:

If it makes you feel better, I thought that Contre Sixte, RDM's big AOE nuke, required you to be in melee range until well after I hit 70 on the class. Like, I finished the MSQ, Omega Normal, and both of the current Extreme primals walking up to or jumping on the boss every 60 seconds for no reason whatsoever.

It's not what the Seeker of Skill title was intended for but it's why I use it

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

These coffers I'm getting while doing the Heavenward quests are really nice, but it'd be great if I actually knew what the gently caress was in them without having to google them :sigh:

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Bolow posted:

These coffers I'm getting while doing the Heavenward quests are really nice, but it'd be great if I actually knew what the gently caress was in them without having to google them :sigh:

Doesn't it use the same Aiming/Healing/Casting/Fending/Striking/Maiming/Scouting breakdown as, like, the entire rest of the game?

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

I'll be honest I haven't paid attention to the names of the gear at all, I merely base my decisions on Strength = good, more Strength = more good

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Apparently ultimate coil has a mechanic called "twister dives"

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Bolow posted:

I'll be honest I haven't paid attention to the names of the gear at all, I merely base my decisions on Strength = good, more Strength = more good

The "of X" suffixes tell you what set of classes it's for. Fending is tanks, casting/healing are obvious, aiming is bard/machinist (and rightside aiming is also for ninjas), scouting is for ninja leftside, striking is samurai/monk, maiming is dragoon.

"Use the thing with the highest amount of your main stat" is a pretty good heuristic until you get to the cutting edge.

Malthuras
Feb 23, 2012

Go away
Who else is a greedy gently caress like me that wants to raise tank jobs just for the clusters?

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

cheetah7071 posted:

:majorminor:

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Malthuras posted:

Who else is a greedy gently caress like me that wants to raise tank jobs just for the clusters?

It's really good. With prices as they currently are, it's basically a free 100k gil for every ldr you run, and it's not even limited to the daily roulette bonus (I don't think).

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

If ultimate coil doesn't have dive bombs happening literally all the time I'm gonna be disappointed.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Ainsley McTree posted:

It's really good. With prices as they currently are, it's basically a free 100k gil for every ldr you run, and it's not even limited to the daily roulette bonus (I don't think).

Nope, you can do it as often as your greedy little heart desires.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

vOv posted:

Nope, you can do it as often as your greedy little heart desires.

On the one hand, I love this and it's amazing, but on the other hand, I hate it because I can't bring myself to run LDR as anything besides a tank now, despite the fact that I'm trying to level a healer instead. My gil per hour, guys

Normally I wouldn't care about making a number representing fake money go up, but I'm lazily leveling crafters by buying GC and leve turn-ins off of vendors and I actually really need the money for that

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

cheetah7071 posted:

I hope divebombs going into twisters will cause them to alter their trajectory and probably wipe you.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Ainsley McTree posted:

I just tested this and, unbelievably, it seems like you can in fact do it as many times as you want.

Edit: Oops, beaten to it. I'm shocked that the materia market hasn't crashed though.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

It hasn't completely crashed but grade VI stuff is cheaper than grade V stuff was at the end of HW.

Edit: for combat materia, at least. Crafters and gatherers materia are still super expensive.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Has their been any official word on the lack of journal flavor text on most non major quests? Am i the only one that cares?

I totally understand if it takes too long for koji fox to type up a paragraph of picking up dung and I'm ready to let that go as long as someone comes out and say "Yes this is the new normal" or "No we will be adding all of this soon for consistency"

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

OneDeadman posted:

I hope divebombs going into twisters will cause them to alter their trajectory and probably wipe you.

Divebombs that scatter twisters so the party can't stack together to bait it. :unsmigghh:

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

So after raid night tonight,i got to do (some of) Binding Coil,enough to just get all the wings unlocked and fight Bahamut and all the older players were nostalgia-ing hard over Answers and the whole Bahamut fight in general. So out of curiosity i looked up the cutscene that played when the original game shut down.

Yeah uh...i can kinda see why now, hell of a way to kill a game :stare:. Kinda wish i had known when i first started playing ARR that it was a continuation off of 1.0's story, would have settled some of the confusion i had in the early plot. Are all of the various class people that show in that cutscene their own characters or was it just one last cool display of cut scene power? How much of the story of the raid am i missing not doing every single Coil to it's fullest? I was also told to just skip the cutscenes and watch them later since a few of them are 30+ minutes long?!

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
The best way to experience Coils is the same as the best way to experience Castrum and Praetorium, get a 70 tank and 70 healer who are willing to wait around for you sitting through all the cutscenes and would be excited hearing your reactions over discord.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

You have bad friends if they told you to skip the cutscenes.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Yeah what the hell they're already getting your bonus tomes, they can sit for an extra 5-10 minutes

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

So after raid night tonight,i got to do (some of) Binding Coil,enough to just get all the wings unlocked and fight Bahamut and all the older players were nostalgia-ing hard over Answers and the whole Bahamut fight in general. So out of curiosity i looked up the cutscene that played when the original game shut down.

Yeah uh...i can kinda see why now, hell of a way to kill a game :stare:. Kinda wish i had known when i first started playing ARR that it was a continuation off of 1.0's story, would have settled some of the confusion i had in the early plot. Are all of the various class people that show in that cutscene their own characters or was it just one last cool display of cut scene power? How much of the story of the raid am i missing not doing every single Coil to it's fullest? I was also told to just skip the cutscenes and watch them later since a few of them are 30+ minutes long?!

IIRC The axe wielding guy is the generic insert for the player character?

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Bolow posted:

He's the generic stand-in for the PC. He shows up in the HW and SB CG cutscenes too, and even the 1.0 CG trailer thing. Most but not all of the generic job characters in the ARR opening also show up in the 1.0 CG trailer though only the generic Hyur continues off from there.

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

How much of the story of the raid am i missing not doing every single Coil to it's fullest?

The story is largely contained in the before/after cutscenes. T5, T9, T12, and T13 are the big ones in terms of stuff happening. There's also a few mid-instance cutscenes but they're not really all that important.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Well you see that entire party in game although with devious goatees instead.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
i have beaten the game

need to find a lalafell with one to compare sizes, roegadyn version seems massive

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Don't mean to poo poo on you in particular, but why does everybody insist on taking screenshots in the middle of the night with no light sources nearby.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
It's still weird that people do that in general, since group pose includes 3 separate and combinable lighting options.

Also it's not just the Roegadyn one that feels massive, even though Alte Roite does scale. They all do. drat thing is just too long!

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Thundarr posted:

Don't mean to poo poo on you in particular, but why does everybody insist on taking screenshots in the middle of the night with no light sources nearby.

i dunno, i took that one because i was in a hurry to go do irl stuff

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Thundarr posted:

:airquote: atmosphere :airquote:

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Malthuras posted:

Implying that you weren't already a tank main to begin with.

Bolow posted:

His name is Arbert. His face is also used by Generic Hyur aka Derplander. Generic Hyur being used to indicate "This Is A Stand-In For Your Character", but Arbert is his own person, even if his face isn't unique.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Sep 16, 2017

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

I keep forgetting that PLD is a healer class guys, can you help me?

Also there is no way that guy did zenos from 100% without a healer without a RDM healing or something

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Haquer posted:

Also there is no way that guy did zenos from 100% without a healer without a RDM healing or something

Summoner healing :v:

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Haquer posted:

I don't know, I've had to wait a looooonnngggg time for Zenos to do enough damage kill me as WAR or PLD when the Healer and DPS die to stupid junk. The only part that hits hard against a tank is the fourfold hit, I could see it being doable.

Not going to defend the dude's assertion that you should go without a healer though when you can just die and pop back into the fight with one ezpz.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I've done zenos entirely with RDM/PLD before.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Charles Get-Out posted:

I don't know, I've had to wait a looooonnngggg time for Zenos to do enough damage kill me as WAR or PLD when the Healer and DPS die to stupid junk. The only part that hits hard against a tank is the fourfold hit, I could see it being doable.

Not going to defend the dude's assertion that you should go without a healer though when you can just die and pop back into the fight with one ezpz.

Yeah I died to the fourfold slash at about 40% HP left, before we even got to the dps check. Also they kept standing in poo poo and getting hit so it wasn't going to happen

And yes, I wanted to wipe to go back in with a healer, because I'm not a healer class

Mr. Nice! posted:

I've done zenos entirely with RDM/PLD before.

Party comp was PLD/WHM/MCH/DRG, it wasn't happening.

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

That fourfold hit doesn't have to do much damage either, it's called Unmoving Troika for a reason. He doesn't move once he's started doing it, even if you move out.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Haquer posted:

i dunno, zenos isn't a hard fight to heal unless people are overlapping with the black beams so no healing seems feasible to me if you're using clemency well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

I mean even if you could, there was really no reason for Haq to, since there are clearly four names in his chat bar.