Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

https://twitter.com/tommcilroy/status/908530047002189825

Now that's a fucken own

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

gently caress moi

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
History doesnt repeat

It rhymes

quote:

Frank Devine (Australian, 5/6/97) referred to an earlier article by Nicholas Rothwall, who stated that nearly everyone who spoke favourably of Hanson refused to divulge his or her name for fear of reprisal. Devine comments "Fear of Reprisal? For expressing a political opinion? In Australia? Good Grief". Devine noted that opponents of Hanson, not her supporters, were responsible for violence at meetings such as a meeting addressed by Hanson in Newcastle in June 1997 which led to the bizarre and comical paradox of 300 policemen, not to defend Asians and Aborigines against the savagery of Hansonites but to stop the rampant politically correct from scragging 1400 reputable citizens who paid to hear her speak. 

... those with tactics most reminiscent of the hooligan intimidation tactics of the Nazi brownshirts were to be found in the ranks of the anti-ON demonstrators. One demonstrator having knocked an elderly ON supporter to the ground at Echuca said ominously "we know where you live". The publication of the list on ON members including the suburb in which they lived was also intimidating. 

Michael Duffy (Daily Telegraph, 1/8/98) said that it's disturbing to see the sort of thing that worries us these days - and the sort of thing that doesn't. This selective outrage is a particular feature of the Hanson phenomenon. 

Duffy said that some of the anti-Hanson demos have prevented Hanson from speaking. This is an outrage to Australian tolerance, democracy and free speech. "Never before, to my knowledge, has the leader of a mainstream political party with over 300 branches and representatives in two Australian parliaments been prevented from speaking in public. This raises questions vital to the health of Australian democracy". 

...Duffy reported the violence directed against old people and young women by demonstrators at the Hawthorn Town Hall and said that "it was Australian democracy 1900s style, typical of what many people have had to put up with to hear Pauline Hanson speak during the past 18 months". He said that Jeff Kennett's police did a deal with the demonstrators, and the meeting was called off in return for the physical safety of the people who had come to hear a federal politician speak. "It was a black day for Australian democracy. It's difficult to know who deserves more of our contempt - the thugs who are now using physical force to repress free speech, the politicians and police who are letting them get away with it, or the moral posturers who, with their spurious outrage about ON racism are condoning increasing levels of violence and repression". 

The Free Speech Committee referred to the ugly face of censorship and said that it is the right of the people to assemble and express their opinion in meetings and demonstrations. It is a fundamental right of all people, regardless of their opinion, that they should be free to speak what is on their minds. Obstructing entry to a hall and shouting down speakers are forms of censorship which are not tolerable in this society. It is important that the principle of free speech and tolerance be safeguarded at all times, and never more so than when dealing with intolerance. The demonstrators in Hawthorn, obstructing entry to the ON meeting may have been well motivated, but their tactics were misjudged and indefensible.

Elderly citizen, attending a One Nation meeting, 
bashed by Multiculturalist thugs [1998]

Michael Barnard (Sunday Herald Sun2/8/98) said that it is the anti-Hanson, anti-ON demonstrations which enshrine a consistent new low, and that records illustrate that throughout the ON saga, the woeful incidents of violence - including intimidating women and bashing elderly men - come from a hooligan fringe into which students and school children are drawn; preventing people entering a lawful meeting to hear a duly elected member of Federal Parliament is the antithesis of democracy. 

...Barnard said that "Yet, in the main, a strange silence pervades. Imagine the outcry if angry farmers disrupted a meeting of the Aboriginal and Torres Straits Islander Commission, or if some other group, screaming Nazism, sabotaged a convention of multicultural bureaucrats. 

...In despair, one looks at the printed record and finds a broad strand of hypocrisy - or is it blindness? - running through weeks of political utterance and media commentary. Yes, one discovers, the excesses of the demonstrators, have been lamented to a degree. But not, first, because the violence and intolerance are simply and plainly wrong in themselves, but because they will help increase sympathy and support for Mrs. Hanson. 

... The Age for instance did not publish even one feature article about the dangerous precedent set by the mobs which prevented Hanson, then the leader of the third largest political force in Australia, from addressing meetings in Hobart and Melbourne

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Found that on a white nationalist website on the evil bigots of pro-multiculturalism and couldnt stop laughing. That was their argument.

quote:

The anti-democratic actions of the Multiculturalist thugs show themselves as the true successors to the tradition of the Nazi thugs of the 1930s Germany; whereas the victims of the Multiculturalist thugs belonged to the tradition of the democratic Australian patriotism of the early twentieth century. Facing the Nazi-style tactics of the hate-filled Multiculturalists, the Jewish members of Pauline Hanson's One Nation Party must have felt a heavy irony.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

quote:

Devine noted that opponents of Hanson, not her supporters, were responsible for violence at meetings such as a meeting addressed by Hanson in Newcastle in June 1997 which led to the bizarre and comical paradox of 300 policemen, not to defend Asians and Aborigines against the savagery of Hansonites but to stop the rampant politically correct from scragging 1400 reputable citizens who paid to hear her speak.

:thunk:

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Who suggested this? works great!

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Yeah nah

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Ah hell another London attack. Bomb at a train station, 22 people injured but none serious.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-09-15/london-police-declare-terrorist-incident-parsons-green-train/8950958

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Is there any info on expected delivery dates for the postal vote? My mum lives in Freo and she got her form a couple of days ago however I'm in the Perth CBD and haven't received anything.

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

cheese-cube posted:

Is there any info on expected delivery dates for the postal vote? My mum lives in Freo and she got her form a couple of days ago however I'm in the Perth CBD and haven't received anything.

Officially the only date is they should all be delivered by September 25.

https://marriagesurvey.abs.gov.au/key-dates

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I didn't get a gay marriage ballot but I got a fancy new document fining me $200 for a council election I voted in and have repeatedly told them I voted in.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
AdelGoons get your arses down to the Marriage Equality rally today! 1pm, Parliament House.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Doesn't resemble a coconut enough.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-09-16/same-sex-marriage-postal-surveys-left-out-in-the-rain/8952156

Funny pictures of letters polling disinterested Australians on a minority's human rights callously allowed to be ruined by the rain

lol

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
This has been a complete cluster gently caress and it's only been a few days so far

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

Lid posted:

Found that on a white nationalist website on the evil bigots of pro-multiculturalism and couldnt stop laughing. That was their argument.

quote:

The anti-democratic actions of the Multiculturalist thugs show themselves as the true successors to the tradition of the Nazi thugs of the 1930s Germany; whereas the victims of the Multiculturalist thugs belonged to the tradition of the democratic Australian patriotism of the early twentieth century. Facing the Nazi-style tactics of the hate-filled Multiculturalists, the Jewish members of Pauline Hanson's One Nation Party must have felt a heavy irony.

Sometimes I feel insane. But patriotism never used to be a thing in Australia, right? Sure, people would root for the Empire 70 years back, but no one was waving Aussie flags around madly proclaiming we were the best. I always remember as a kid people would look down on anyone who expressed patriotism.

Is it just me? Being patriotic is one of the least Australian things you can do. Someone tell me if I'm crazy on this.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
When not even Rodney Rude buys into your PC Gone Mad bullshit

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Solemn Sloth posted:

When not even Rodney Rude buys into your PC Gone Mad bullshit

Gays should be able to get married because I used to gently caress watermelons may not be the strongest argument.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Zenithe posted:

Gays should be able to get married because I used to gently caress watermelons may not be the strongest argument.

"used to"

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Zenithe posted:

As opposed to the ironclad arguments put forth by the no campaign.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Konomex posted:

Sometimes I feel insane. But patriotism never used to be a thing in Australia, right? Sure, people would root for the Empire 70 years back, but no one was waving Aussie flags around madly proclaiming we were the best. I always remember as a kid people would look down on anyone who expressed patriotism.

Is it just me? Being patriotic is one of the least Australian things you can do. Someone tell me if I'm crazy on this.

This is Howard's legacy. He raised a generation to think this way.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

How much could a homo sexual?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

quote:

Down among the pho joints, butcher shops and Asian supermarkets of Victoria Street in Richmond, there's a new hot topic of conversation: same-sex marriage.

Attitudes towards the debate on Melbourne's lively Vietnamese strip are said to be mixed. The schism is most typically found on religious and generational lines.

Generally, the older Catholic traders hold the traditional view, that marriage is between a man and a woman. For the second generation, it's different.

"The younger Vietnamese tend to support it, like I do," says Meca Ho, president of the Victoria Street Business Association.

"We are in Australia, everyone should be equal. But people do talk about the issue."

As same-sex marriage postal surveys are stuffed in mailboxes across the country, the battle for hearts and minds will be as hard fought in places such as Hurstville, St Albans and Blacktown as anywhere else.

These are suburbs that are home to large populations of Chinese-, Vietnamese- and Filipino-Australians, three of the nation's biggest Asian ethnic groups. Their views could help sway the vote on marriage equality.

The Chinese community has been a particular target during the campaign. A string of pamphlets and fliers have been issued making homophobic claims about same-sex marriage, including one that said it was a "grave to the family bloodline".

One reason they are being wooed is the community's size. Of the 16 million voters on the electoral roll ahead of the postal survey, more than half a million could be Chinese-Australians.

Last year's census counted more than 535,000 Australian adult citizens with Chinese ancestry. The two other major ethnic groups of East and South-East Asian descent were Vietnamese-Australians (175,000 adults) and Filipino-Australians (162,000).

They are also more open to voting "no". University of Melbourne research has found that people from non-English-speaking migrant backgrounds are less likely to support marriage equality than other groups.

Dr Ka Sing Chua, president of the Chinese Association of Victoria, believes that most Chinese-Australians are socially conservative and would vote "no" on the question of marriage equality.

His personal view is that the Marriage Act should not be changed to included same-sex couples.

"It's a very complicated question," he says. "I think at the end of the day, everyone should have an informed decision."

One outfit hoping to influence that decision is the Australian Chinese for Families Association. The group is led by Dr Pansy Lai, who rose to prominence when she collected 17,500 signatures from the Australian Chinese community opposing the Safe Schools program in NSW.

Much of the ACFC's website is devoted to stopping Safe Schools. There are also translations of anti-gay marriage columns by people such as Tony Abbott and Andrew Bolt.

While Dr Lai is a Christian, she has said that the Australian Chinese for Families Association is not religious. However, religion may play a major part in guiding how certain communities vote.

Eighty-nine per cent of Filipino-Australian adults, for example, identify as Christian. Seventy-three per cent say they are Catholic. The Vietnamese also have a strong Catholic community. Archdiocese around the country have been urging their followers to vote "no".

"I'm a practising Catholic, it's still ingrained in me that only a man and woman should be able to get married," says Serna Ladia, president of the Philippine Community Council of New South Wales.

"But my children will have a different opinion to mine."

One group adding their weight to the "yes" campaign is the Asian Australian Alliance, which wants to counter the inflammatory messages being spread about same-sex marriage.

Erin Chew, the group's founder and convenor, says Chinese-Australians were clearly being targeted by the "no" side of the campaign, which was painting the community in a negative light.

"It says they are against equality, which is not true," she says. "As Asians we all know what being discriminated or vilified feels like, why would we want to perpetrate that on others?"

While she agrees that views on same-sex marriage are often split in Asian communities between the young and old, Ms Chew says that many elders have actually shown support for marriage equality.

One such story doing the rounds on social media is of William and his Ba (Vietnamese grandmother), who supports her gay grandson having the right to marry his partner.

Francis Voon, director of multicultural engagement for the Equality Campaign (which made the video), says it's important that same-sex marriage supporters from different ethnic groups are given the resources to "engage their own communities".

With more than a month until the postal surveys have to be returned, both sides of the debate will continue to court votes where they can.

Viv Nguyen, president of Vietnamese Community in Australia's Victoria chapter, says it is important that people exercise their democratic right to take part in the vote.

"It's what the Vietnamese people are very strong about. It's why a lot of us are here," she says.

Ms Chew agrees.

"This is one of the best times for us to ensure our voice is heard and show that we are willing to get more involved in the political process."

The stories starting to pick up traction of the targeted propaganda to non-English speaking Australian's, most explicitly Asian-Australian's.

Implants
Feb 14, 2007
The thing about Asian-Australian migrants is that they're outnumbered by their children, who are overwhelmingly progressive. What I'm getting at here is their voting tendencies are pretty much irrelevant, what with being outweighed in numbers by their kids.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Implants posted:

The thing about Asian-Australian migrants is that they're outnumbered by their children, who are overwhelmingly progressive.

I don't know if you have a source for that, but most Chinese millennials I know are way more conservative than the white ones.

Implants
Feb 14, 2007
I should have clarified that they're progressive in comparison.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

My Filipino friends are pretty evenly split between ultra catholic and completely blase about the issue.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Who likes maps? EVERYONE LIKES MAPS! (kill the rich and steal their houses)

https://twitter.com/timlawless/status/907744979300126721

https://twitter.com/timlawless/status/907741174827380736

Quote stolen from here posted:

John McGrath, executive director of McGrath Estate Agents, was another who recently warned that Sydney and Melbourne’s housing markets were due for a period of consolidation following years of strong price growth.

“We say internally what a good thing it is the market is settling down in Sydney, and we think that over the next few years there will be a short, small correction in small single digits — 3, 4, 5% — but we see nothing worse than that,” he said at a conference held on the Gold Coast in late August.

Complementing those views, recent auction clearance rates and housing finance data continue to point to a moderation in housing market activity in the months ahead.

Only last week auction clearance rates fell to 66.4% across Australia’s capitals, the lowest level seen in over a year. Mirroring the slowdown in price growth, the decline was driven by weaker outcomes in Sydney and Melbourne compared to levels seen earlier in the year.

The moderation in clearance rates followed the introduction of tougher macroprudential measures from Australia’s banking regulator, APRA, earlier this year, limiting interest-only lending to 30% of total new mortgage debt. That came on top of a 10% limit in annual investor credit growth implemented by APRA in late 2014.

Recent housing finance data suggests those attempts to restrict interest-only lending — predominantly favoured by investors — are working.

According to data released by the ABS, the value of investor housing finance slumped 3.9% to $12.063 billion in July, leaving it at the lowest level since August 2016. From a year earlier that represented a fall of 0.1%, the first decline since August 2016. Only eight months earlier it had been growing at 26.5% year-on-year.

That result followed the release of quarterly lending data from APRA earlier this month which revealed that interest-only lending slowed to 30% of total new loans in the June quarter, down sharply from from 36% in Q1.

As a result of APRA’s tighter restrictions, conditions in Australia’s hottest housing markets appear to be cooling down.

When a real estate agent is telling people that the market will have a 'small correction' then poo poo has to be bad.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
edit I can't read

Squidtits
Mar 30, 2004
Spank me, you know you wanna
We just had some door knockers who told my wife they were representing the upcoming postal vote and they wanted to inform everyone that it is ok to vote no.
Sadly I was not there to find out which church they were from.

Squidtits fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Sep 16, 2017

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I found a vote letter on the ground but i put it in the mail box like a good boy.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

https://twitter.com/wheelswordsmith/status/908851451291504640

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
“Surely we’re not going to have two bids and two bids only,” he questioned the quiet crowd. 

He was right. From there four more parties joined the bidding in quick succession and the offers went up in $20,000 and $10,000 increments. 

The final bidder, the Canberra teenager who had his parents in tow, joined in at $1.25 million. For the remainder of the auction it was practically a bidding war between him and the underbidder — a tenant in the building. 

The hammer eventually fell at $1.43 million, well over the $1,215,000 reserve and the suburb’s median apartment price of $1,345,500.

The winning bidder and his parents, who did not wished to be named, were delighted to have nabbed the property in the north west corner of the apartment block. 

“The view is just beautiful,” said the teenager, who received financial help from his parents.  “It’s a waterfront property, in a great location, I’m glad we got it.”

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Lid posted:

The final bidder, the Canberra teenager...

...The hammer eventually fell at $1.43 million...

...waterfront property, in a great location

:thermidor:

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I like how it's acceptable to talk about outrageous housing prices as strength in the market, which must make reasonably affordable housing pathetic and weak.

Imagine empty suits talking about strong fundamentals in the food and medicine markets although that poo poo probably does happen anyway.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Sep 16, 2017

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

If I was a teen and my parents bought me a beachside apartment I'd be pretty happy imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
lol

A fired-up Senator Fierravanti-Wells, the Minister for International Development, emphasised the differing views on same-sex marriage within migrant communities and claimed: "Difference is not discrimination. There is no discrimination of LGBTI people in Australia."

She also said she suspected polls showing majority support for same-sex marriage were wrong and ignored the "silent majority".

Speakers also portrayed the "no" side as the victim of a concerted campaign by elites, the media and big business. There were boos from the audience for Sydney lord mayor Clover Moore, who is backing the "yes" side with ratepayers' money.

Coalition for Marriage spokeswoman Sophie York described the "yes" side as "carefully orchestrated, cashed-up and ruthless".

To rapturous applause, she suggested a "no" vote in Australia could be the start of a global "push back" against same-sex marriage, which has been legalised in more than 20 countries.

• Locked thread