Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

What are some other movies that follow a character over a longer period of time, like Moonlight or Place Beyond the Pines?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Stealth Tiger posted:

What are some other movies that follow a character over a longer period of time, like Moonlight or Place Beyond the Pines?
Boyhood.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Stealth Tiger posted:

Conan the Barbarian

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
Raging Bull, Barry Lyndon, The New World, Zodiac, 12 Years a Slave

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Benjamin Button or w/e

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

Stealth Tiger posted:

Once Upon A Time In America, The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp, Jules et Jim, Carlos (I'd recommend the miniseries but the film works too), City of God, and I guess to compulsively get some super loving obvious ones out of the way, Citizen Kane, Goodfellas, The Aviator, There Will Be Blood.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

The Age of Adaline

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Stealth Tiger posted:

Good Bye Mr. Chips

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Stealth Tiger posted:

Cinema Paradiso. And seconding the recommendations of Once Upon a Time in America and City of God, those two are must see if you haven't already.

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse

Stealth Tiger posted:

The Up Series

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Just looking for general cult cinema or heavily director influenced

Think Antiviral, Evil Dead, even something like Nostalghia or stuff by Kubrick. Its a broad category definitely but throw your Weird but wonderful flics my way

I guess movies that truly stand out for what ever reason

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Jestery posted:

Think Antiviral, Evil Dead, even something like Nostalghia or stuff by Kubrick. Its a broad category definitely but throw your Weird but wonderful flics my way

Beyond the Valley of the Dolls.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Skwirl posted:

Beyond the Valley of the Dolls + Beyond the Black Rainbow double feature

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Jestery posted:

Belladonna of Sadness (1973)

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Lair of the White Worm
Witchfinder General
Dust Devils

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Jestery posted:

Just work your way down Roger Corman's filmography. Then move on to Bava and Argento.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I'm looking for more stuff like Green Room. It doesn't have to be a siege movie, and it doesn't have to be a punk movie, but stuff with the same general vibe would be great.

I've already seen Drive (along with all of Refn's other major works), Blue Ruin, and Murder Party, just to get the obvious ones out of the way. Basically, what I want is ultra-intense thrillers with occasional bursts of gory violence and really cool aesthetics.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
What are the best non-comedic films about witches?

Right now I'm looking at Black Sunday, Cry of the Banshee, The Devils, Bell Book and Candle, and Conqueror Worm, but open to other types of witches or other tones - just not goofy/silly ones.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Conjure Wife aka Burn, Witch, Burn!

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Conjure Wife aka Burn, Witch, Burn!

Hell yeah.

e: Also known as Night of the Eagle in some regions.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Ah right, it's the book that has the Conjure Wife title and the movie that has Night Of The Eagle. Other selections I personally love: The Dunwich Horror (starring Dean Stockwell as a male witch), Blood On Satan's Claw, Simon, King of the Witches, Suspiria, Lords of Salem and Romero's Season Of The Witch.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
The Craft.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

feedmyleg posted:

Häxan and Belladonna of Sadness

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The VVitch, obviously.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
The Love Witch leans hard on camp and pastiche without reeaaaally being a full-blown comedy. I kind of hated it but it's definitely worth a watch.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

morestuff posted:

The Love Witch leans hard on camp and pastiche without reeaaaally being a full-blown comedy. I kind of hated it but it's definitely worth a watch.
I was going to recommend it except instead of saying I hated it I was going to say it's one of my favorite movies of the past few years. Anyways here's a big list of witch movies for all your witch watching needs.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

feedmyleg posted:

Right now I'm looking at Black Sunday, Cry of the Banshee, The Devils, Bell Book and Candle, and Conqueror Worm, but open to other types of witches or other tones - just not goofy/silly ones.

The Witch A+

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Awesome. Think I'm going with Belladonna of Sadness from these for tonight and popping the others on my watchlist. Might do a double feature with Inferno, which isn't witches but close enough.

Does anyone have recommendations for just totally bonkers 70s/80s horror movies with a tinge (or truckfull) of surreality? Like The Visitor or Possession? What are the craziest ones out there?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

feedmyleg posted:

Awesome. Think I'm going with Belladonna of Sadness from these for tonight and popping the others on my watchlist. Might do a double feature with Inferno, which isn't witches but close enough.

Does anyone have recommendations for just totally bonkers 70s/80s horror movies with a tinge (or truckfull) of surreality? Like The Visitor or Possession? What are the craziest ones out there?

You're... kinda already watching the movie I immediately think of. :v:

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

feedmyleg posted:

Messiah of Evil, The Tenant

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

feedmyleg posted:

Tetsuo: The Iron Man

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

feedmyleg posted:

How about Society?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

DiscoJ posted:

How about Society?

Oh god yes.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy
Just rewatched Fracture and now I'm in the mood for more of the same: good legal and/or cat & mouse thrillers. I've seen The Verdict and all of Grisham's adaptations. Would prefer 1970s or later (The Verdict was great but pushing it in terms of how antiquated the legal system felt).

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Primal Fear is goofy as hell but it has prime Richard Gere and a young Ed Norton going buck-wild. Witness For The Prosecution is way outside your timeframe but it rules.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy

morestuff posted:

Primal Fear is goofy as hell but it has prime Richard Gere and a young Ed Norton going buck-wild. Witness For The Prosecution is way outside your timeframe but it rules.

I've seen Primal Fear but you're right on the money with what I'm looking for.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
What semi-lesser-known movies or TV shows feel like they could be a D&D campaign? Silly or serious, I don't mind - could even be some webseries or an obscure Japanese show or movie. I just want to watch some fantasy that inhabits that world of inns and quests and merchants and thieves and maybe wizards - not necessarily Western in origin. Or even necessarily critically acclaimed. Conan the Barbarian is the one I know that nails it the most, but I'd love to hear some non LOTR suggestions.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Sep 16, 2017

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

What semi-lesser-known movies or TV shows feel like they could be a D&D campaign? Silly or serious, I don't mind - could even be some webseries or an obscure Japanese show or movie. I just want to watch some fantasy that inhabits that world of inns and quests and merchants and thieves and maybe wizards - not necessarily Western in origin. Or even necessarily critically acclaimed. Conan the Barbarian is the one I know that nails it the most, but I'd love to hear some non LOTR suggestions.

There are a shitload of anime that fit this description but let me see what else I can think of first.

There's The Magic Sword (1962). It's hilariously bad but right on the money. The main thing it has going for it is Sir Basil Rathbone plays the main villain, an evil wizard.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Willow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Ladyhawke isn't really obscure but it's probably about on par with Willow.

• Locked thread