Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I’ve just started using the Gmail app again for work, I haven’t used it in years and can’t remember but is there anyway to sort message threads by newest at the top?

Install Outlook. Its the best mail client for iOS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I’ve just started using the Gmail app again for work, I haven’t used it in years and can’t remember but is there anyway to sort message threads by newest at the top?

Is that not the default behavior?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

wicka posted:

Is that not the default behavior?

Nope, newest on the bottom. It’s bad.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Nope, newest on the bottom. It’s bad.

Mine is sorted by newest first and I can’t find a setting to change that, nor do I ever remember it behaving in any other way. Is it inheriting settings from the web app?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

wicka posted:

Mine is sorted by newest first and I can’t find a setting to change that, nor do I ever remember it behaving in any other way. Is it inheriting settings from the web app?

I'll have to check when I go back into work Monday.
It's a shared Gmail account for the office I'm in but it's 2FA linked to another dude and I can't be arsed asking him for the code over the weekend.
I'll check next week. Weird there's no option to change it in the app.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Seriously though turn on Gmail's IMAP feature and connect to it with iOS Outlook.

My only problem with Outlook is that with multiple large mailboxes it's a bit laggy to start, and has always been. But getting to customize swipe right, swipe left, it's great. I always turn the inbox filtering off though, I think it's pretty presumptuous of them to think i'd want my inbox filtered by Their Algorithm, I already have filters on my inbound mail, EVERYTHING in my inbox is important... But if you have a messy inbox, apparently that feature works well too.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Probably not relevant since he’d be using it for a Gmail account, but some IT departments block the Outlook app for work email accounts because it can’t be used to remotely wipe a device.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Ha this is definitely not a place with a strict IT policy.
It's a post-production house and we use it mainly as a shared email address to tell us when our files have been offloaded with ShotPutPro and also to take heat from the editors in Toronto :cool:

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

wicka posted:

Probably not relevant since he’d be using it for a Gmail account, but some IT departments block the Outlook app for work email accounts because it can’t be used to remotely wipe a device.

It will wipe Outlook at least. There are different ways you can enable wiping of the whole device.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
The screen recording in iOS 11is still garbage if you are recording in landscape. It’s not aware you are recording in landscape, so when you play it back and rotate the screen it shrinks to like 1/3 of the screen facing the wrong way.

I guess you could fix it with rotation lock?

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
Outlook app for iOS do VIP notifications yet?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

BoyBlunder posted:

Outlook app for iOS do VIP notifications yet?

No.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

shared Gmail account for the office I'm in

This is a disaster waiting to happen.

I'm sure you probably already know that, but it must be said.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

so we're posting order confirmations, receipts, and shipping confirmation/tracking numbers here right?! :allears:

rage-saq posted:

Install Outlook. Its the best mail client for iOS.

Everyone always says this. I can't stand it tbh, prefer the gmail app. That said, I'm also not a power user that needs good calendar implementation.

After trying a bunch I settled on the app "email." It's really good and I much prefer it

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

so we're posting order confirmations, receipts, and shipping confirmation/tracking numbers here right?! :allears:

I cannot believe I got a 64gig 8+ on bestbuy at 6:30pm launch day in california. The times of apple same day sell outs are changing, I guess.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I had to use the Outlook app for a bit and did not much care for it. Didn't hate it but it was a little buggy and not as easy as just reading my e-mail via mail.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Everyone always says this. I can't stand it tbh, prefer the gmail app. That said, I'm also not a power user that needs good calendar implementation.

After trying a bunch I settled on the app "email." It's really good and I much prefer it

Yeah, I feel the same way. All the third-party email clients just have a bunch of features I don’t need. They don’t actually do email itself appreciably better.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

email also lets you set different notification sounds and such for different emails. I just couldn't stand outlook in any capacity. Obviously works great for some. Just saying, no reason not to try out a bunch. I didn't mind the gmail app if it let you add other emails; i suppose now it probably does

the mail app has come a long way and I'd probably use that over outlook

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

dissss posted:

Yep and it really makes perfect sense - the only time I want to turn wifi off is if it's latched on to some crappy network and the iOS 11 way I don't have to remember to turn it back on when I get back to home/work

I turn it off fairly regularly. A couple of the coffee shops I frequent block certain websites/services (SA is blocked at one, Spotify is blocked at another). And it's super annoying when you've boarded a flight but takeoff isn't for a little while and your phone connects to the airline's walled-in wifi.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Noctone posted:

I turn it off fairly regularly. A couple of the coffee shops I frequent block certain websites/services (SA is blocked at one, Spotify is blocked at another). And it's super annoying when you've boarded a flight but takeoff isn't for a little while and your phone connects to the airline's walled-in wifi.

Lol what kind of bullshit coffee shop blocks Spotify? "If everyone's listening to their own music they'll miss my great vinyl selections! You guys ever heard of Neutral Milk Hotel?"

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4

I broke Apple Music.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
[quote="“ManSedan”" post="“476447734”"]

I broke Apple Music.
[/quote]

Everything about the iTunes interface is bad and half-assed.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Noctone posted:

Exactly - if that's what you're doing then the new behaviour is fine

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

But really is anyone going from the iPhone 7 to the iphone 7s iPhone 8? Prob best to skip this iteration and wait for an X-2 with touchid :pray:

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

But really is anyone going from the iPhone 7 to the iphone 7s iPhone 8? Prob best to skip this iteration and wait for an X-2 with touchid :pray:

It’s not necessarily a bad idea to wait for next year’s model, but there is zero chance Touch ID is coming back.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

But they'll probably keep the 8 model so there's multiple options for people, yeah? Or will they have worked that tech into the 8 by then. Or 8s, or 9, idk

Wait the 8 has touchid just the same as the 7 right?

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

dissss posted:

Exactly - if that's what you're doing then the new behaviour is fine

Oh? I must've missed some context (was catching up on like 150+ posts).

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Noctone posted:

Oh? I must've missed some context (was catching up on like 150+ posts).
Some people think it sucks that the Control Center wifi thing doesn't turn wifi off entirely in iOS 11. it instead just disconnects you from your current network. Others find this behavior preferable because they always forget to turn wifi back on when they get back to a place with good wifi, and in iOS 11 you didn't *actually* turn it off so you're not accidentally burning through data while streaming Spotify at home now just because you tried to get off of the dumb Boingo hotspot or whatever.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

lol nvm just looked at the iPhone 8 they hardly changed poo poo lol

Does wireless charging work through cases?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Does wireless charging work through cases?

If it's like other workers chargers then it depends on the thickness of the case.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Bring back the bumpers!!!

That way the new phones can sit level on a desk despite the dumb camera bump.

Okay, I want a bumper case for the X.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Ultimate Mango posted:

Bring back the bumpers!!!

That way the new phones can sit level on a desk despite the dumb camera bump.

Okay, I want a bumper case for the X.

I love my Spigen hybrid case on my iPhone 6s! I've been pretty anti-case for years, but it's just a bumper with a thin clear plastic back. Makes it sit flat despite the camera wart, gives a tiny lip if I put the phone face down. Very much worth :10bux:

False Toaster
Dec 29, 2006

Stupidity, its both physically and mentally painful.

wicka posted:

It’s not necessarily a bad idea to wait for next year’s model, but there is zero chance Touch ID is coming back.

Not true. They opted to not include TouchID because they couldn't get a feasible production yield with the on-screen fingerprint sensor (like Samsung with the S8/Note 8) in time. It'll likely happen next year when they can mainstream production or whenever Apple is comfortable fully adopting the tech.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

False Toaster posted:

Not true. They opted to not include TouchID because they couldn't get a feasible production yield with the on-screen fingerprint sensor (like Samsung with the S8/Note 8) in time. It'll likely happen next year when they can mainstream production or whenever Apple is comfortable fully adopting the tech.

Yeah, I still am holding out hope that they'll put some version of it into a future revision of the X, and I'd buy it on release.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

BGrifter posted:

I love my Spigen hybrid case on my iPhone 6s! I've been pretty anti-case for years, but it's just a bumper with a thin clear plastic back. Makes it sit flat despite the camera wart, gives a tiny lip if I put the phone face down. Very much worth :10bux:

My Note 3, S8+, SE, 6S+ were all using Spigen cases. I like the feel of the cases more than the actual phones themselves.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I like Apple’s own leather case on my 7. It’s very comfortable to hold. I went caseless for the first few months and I felt like the phone was so thin that it was digging into my palm.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

BGrifter posted:

Yup I’ve used spigen hybrids for years now and love them. I drop my phone like once a year and don’t let my kids touch it, so I really have no use for anything bulkier.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

False Toaster posted:

Incorrect. They stopped even trying to put the fingerprint sensor under the screen when they decided to pursue Face ID, which was over a year ago. Supply chain rumors were false. Touch ID ain’t coming back.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

False Toaster posted:

No, Gruber says that it was decided to get rid of it over a year ago, though it is true they never actually got it working, but it's because they stopped bothering well before production yields would be an issue.

quote:

FACE ID AS THE REPLACEMENT FOR TOUCH ID

Apple made this decision well over a year ago. Perhaps the fundamental goal of iPhone X was to get as close as they could to an edge-to-edge display. No chin whatsoever. There were, of course, early attempts to embed a Touch ID sensor under the display as a Plan B. But Apple became convinced that Face ID was the way to go over a year ago. I heard this yesterday from multiple people at Apple, including engineers who’ve been working on the iPhone X project for a very long time. They stopped pursuing Touch ID under the display not because they couldn’t do it, but because they decided they didn’t need it. I do believe it’s true that they never got Touch ID working, but that’s because they abandoned it in favor of Face ID early.
https://daringfireball.net/2017/09/iphone_x_event_thoughts_and_observations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
An 8-style body with OLED and Face ID would be an interesting release for next year. I'm assuming they'll be releasing iPhone 9/9+ and iPhone X 3G.