Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm starting to really hate realm synergy elemental boosts/resistances considering that they'll never any effect in magicite battles.

they're lame as hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
if anything, missing the 5* motes is the biggest potential loss

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

ceaselessfuture posted:

I'm still extremely unreliably clearing Jump Starts and unable to do the last dungeon of events/Torment dungeons. Should I just stick to my plan of busting all my mythril during the 30th?

Not gonna lie, it's getting really annoying watching all these motes and crystals disappear because I can't give fights that extra ~10%

Snazzy Frocks posted:

if anything, missing the 5* motes is the biggest potential loss

On the plus side, Jump Starts recur when the realm gets an event. Sometimes that takes a really long time (From the last 13 event to the next one is a span of about 7 months, as an example), but it does happen. Those motes aren't gone forever. Torments, likewise, recur. All you're missing is the prize for clearing the A+ fight, which is usually some rosetta stones and a few crystals.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

ceaselessfuture posted:

I'm still extremely unreliably clearing Jump Starts and unable to do the last dungeon of events/Torment dungeons. Should I just stick to my plan of busting all my mythril during the 30th?

Not gonna lie, it's getting really annoying watching all these motes and crystals disappear because I can't give fights that extra ~10%

There's like two months of skippable banners after this fest. Go nuts if you want. Though just know when to quit. A bad chase can gently caress you over.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."
It's good hearing that Jump Starts and Torments recur at least :v:

KPC_Mammon posted:

Jump Start is a bigger deal. Depending on the event maybe goons can offer some advice? What is giving you trouble?

Right now it seems like my biggest issue is hitting proper elements and dropping effective heals.

Here's my profile (leveling up newbie FFT characters atm, but it is up to date):

https://www.ffrkcentral.com/profile/5wNM

Out of the last four Jump Starts, I was able to beat two: Shelke and Necrophobe (both of which were a 'one more hit and I wipe' situation). Couldn't beat Lich due to having no Holy at all (Only have Banishing Strike and Beatrix SSB2, who was only level ~30 at the time). Rubicante kicked my rear end the first time I attempted him this round, but I was trying a gimmick strategy and haven't tried since. Today was my day to catch up on events, so I'm going to go at him again with my A-team.

My account and A-team are powerful enough, but only against Fire/Dark (Ice and Lightning to a certain extent), single-target bosses. Throw an AoE fight or an off-element at me and I struggle.

Penelo is great, but only having her USB causes me issues, specifically because getting her meter up is difficult. I don't have another healer appropriate for endgame content I feel.

e: A-team, for reference:

Reks (BSB, SSB)
X (DPS slot, usually Vayne)
Gladiolus (SSB)
Fran (USB, BSB, SSB)
Penelo (USB)
RW: Wall

quote:

There's like two months of skippable banners after this fest. Go nuts if you want. Though just know when to quit. A bad chase can gently caress you over.

I'm very much looking forward to the breather we're getting! Although for me, I'm planning for 4 pulls on the FFTA (Ramza) banner and ~2 pulls on the FFXII banner. I would really kill for Penelo's new BSB and LMR and another shot at Larsa's BSB.

ceaselessfuture fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Sep 15, 2017

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

saltylopez posted:

I like the shadow banner too for normal content, but now that the top content is magicite dungeons it doesn't seem quite as good with Shadow's stuff being dark element and Setzer's stuff all being breaks.

Hopefully somebody else can explain if I'm wrong.

Shadow is actually great on anything that Ninja abilities work against (so anything that doesn't like fire, thunder, wind, water, or dark damage, or if you're really in a pinch you can just use Phantasm against anything), and Setzer is invaluable against Magicite Ixion who isn't actually nigh-immune to break effects. Setzer is also amazing against anything which isn't magicite, which leaves a lot of content (like Crystal Tower, where you need 4 good teams and having a great support can really make up for other deficiencies).

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."

Zurai posted:

(like Crystal Tower, where you need 4 good teams and having a great support can really make up for other deficiencies).

This is actually another reason I'm gravitating towards it (and because Umaro's AoE Ice BSB seems to work well with Fran's AoE Ice Imperil). I'm under no illusions that I'll be able to clear the tower, but diversifying my teams seems like a big strength.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

Also for reference, my ~650 mythril plan is still to do 12 Fest pulls and each of the three LDs during the 30th.

I could probably do 2 Shadow, 10 Fest though.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
and i thought my 250 mythril was a lot

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

Been saving since the previous FFXII banner and cleared all the realm dungeons :v:

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

That's impressive dedication. I started in November and have put off absolutely maxing out my stamina. It's sitting at 186 right now. Mythril's at 500 right now after 1 pull each on V and IV. I don't forsee myself doing more than maybe 2-3 pulls total on the Fest banners (not including luckies) but maybe I'll feel different once we see them.

Have to hope my voodoo 6* luck continues as I'm up to 10 USBs right now.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Just do what I do and immediately spend your mythril as soon as it hits 5. Single pull lifestyle is the dumbest lifestyle but here I am anyways. I can't complain when I've gotten plenty of cool poo poo from my singles despite knowing it's horribly inefficient compared to G5 11 pulls.

:shrug:

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

Yeah, wow, Rubicante is kicking my rear end all over the place. I can't deal any damage before he Ultimate Firagas and afterwards all my buffs are gone. Yeesh.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

ceaselessfuture posted:

Yeah, wow, Rubicante is kicking my rear end all over the place. I can't deal any damage before he Ultimate Firagas and afterwards all my buffs are gone. Yeesh.

He always does the dispel on his fifth turn. If you buff with soul breaks at the start (SG, Shout), make sure those characters can get a second SB bar before then, otherwise save them. Once he cloaks you've got 10 turns to blow him up before he dispels you again, so that should be plenty of time.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Snazzy Frocks posted:

and i thought my 250 mythril was a lot

I have like 160 and I have to draw on the FFT second banner because Delita is my big source of multielemental damage. :v: I'm gonna be so broke for the festivals.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

Fister Roboto posted:

He always does the dispel on his fifth turn. If you buff with soul breaks at the start (SG, Shout), make sure those characters can get a second SB bar before then, otherwise save them. Once he cloaks you've got 10 turns to blow him up before he dispels you again, so that should be plenty of time.

Nah, my DPS is pretty bad against him.

And wait, he auto-counters while cloaked, doesn't he? Or are you saying after he cloaks/uncloaks the first time?

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010

ceaselessfuture posted:

I was having a lot of trouble trying to go for a more defensive and balanced approach. I switched to a dps race with Bartz using his USB and the water twinstrike coupled with Cloud USB and that did the trick. Using TG Cid's Thunder God RM on Bartz let me get the USB up and running fast enough to push him through his phases and interrupt his cloaking.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
If you have a magic blink, his ultimate dispel wiffs. Don't think that's usually the case, but it is here.

Might also work with fire blink? Haven't tested that one.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

HPanda posted:

If you have a magic blink, his ultimate dispel wiffs. Don't think that's usually the case, but it is here.

Might also work with fire blink? Haven't tested that one.

Unfortunately the elemental barriers aren't true blinks -- they don't make attacks miss, they just reduce the damage to zero. Rubicante's Ultimate Dispel has to actually miss in order for it to not take effect.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

ceaselessfuture posted:

Nah, my DPS is pretty bad against him.

And wait, he auto-counters while cloaked, doesn't he? Or are you saying after he cloaks/uncloaks the first time?

While he's cloaked you set your buffs back up again. He's not very dangerous at all while he's cloaked as long as you're not hitting him. Once he uncloaks you can open up on him. Also worth noting that wrath is a lot better for SB generation in this case because lifesiphon requires hitting him. It's really not that hard as long as you get your buffs back up ASAP and don't hit him while he's cloaked.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

The VI event hits before the fest right? I don't know if I actually want to pull on it or not, but then I have to decide whether I dive Edge or Shadow for ninja shenanigans.

I have Shadow's BSB and Edge's SSB, which are both great, but I dunno who to go with. Shadow's BSB is physical which makes it pretty much useless if I'm using him dived to double-cast ninja magic, but he does have better +dmg bonuses than Edge. But Edge's SSB is super handy basically everywhere. Who do I go with?

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

The VI event hits before the fest right? I don't know if I actually want to pull on it or not, but then I have to decide whether I dive Edge or Shadow for ninja shenanigans.

I have Shadow's BSB and Edge's SSB, which are both great, but I dunno who to go with. Shadow's BSB is physical which makes it pretty much useless if I'm using him dived to double-cast ninja magic, but he does have better +dmg bonuses than Edge. But Edge's SSB is super handy basically everywhere. Who do I go with?

Shadow, Edge, Thancred, and yuffie all roll with Ninja-typed bsb commands, meaning they work real well with the double cast ninja stuff

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Koobes posted:

Shadow, Edge, Thancred, and yuffie all roll with Ninja-typed bsb commands, meaning they work real well with the double cast ninja stuff

Shadow's BSB is physical ninja though, so while that would be good with his +ninja damage and Edge's 40% RM, it conflicts with doing stuff like doublecasting ninja magic in magicite dungeons since you want to gear him like a mage for that. That's why it's hard for me to choose between Shadow and Edge, normally having a BSB for one of them would make it an easy choice, but 99% of the time I want a ninja it's not for physical damage and Edge's SSB is just incredibly good.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Ninja magic cap is 370. You can hit that without gearing for magic.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Zurai posted:

Ninja magic cap is 370. You can hit that without gearing for magic.

Oh wow, I had no idea it was that low. Well then, I guess I'm leaning towards Shadow now. Edge's SSB saved my rear end against Golem, but I think that wouldn't be as much of an issue if I can significantly increase my DPS with dual-casting procs.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

If you can get him to 285 and use an Onion buff he's already hit the cap. 220 if you bring another 30% magic boost, like Stitch in Time

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

How useful is Ninja magic anyway? It's sounding from you guys that simply being able to use the drat stuff is worth a Dive.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

ceaselessfuture posted:

How useful is Ninja magic anyway? It's sounding from you guys that simply being able to use the drat stuff is worth a Dive.

It's very, very useful against bosses with 20,000-60,000 Resistance. Like, say, Magicite bosses (if you think the 3 star bosses are tanky, just you wait).

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

ceaselessfuture posted:

I brought Edge to the Golem fight and with Onion Knight's BSB and Papalymo's Ley Lines, he was dealing 18k per turn with Raging Storm. That's without diving, so double cast procs make it even more disgusting. Ignoring resistance makes them very, very good against magicite bosses. For reference, my Alphinaud's BSB1 command, also with OK's BSB and Ley Lines, was doing like 8k per turn even with enwind, +wind armor, and a 40% wind damage RM.

Someone on the reddit can consistently clear Golem in 20 seconds with a party of undived ninjas all using Raging Storm, which is nuts in terms of orb cost but gives you some idea of how good it is.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

Well poo poo, maybe I should go for Edge or Shadow after all. Does anyone have an opinion on who would be better for general (normal+magicite content) use?

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

ceaselessfuture posted:

Well poo poo, maybe I should go for Edge or Shadow after all. Does anyone have an opinion on who would be better for general (normal+magicite content) use?

Shadow, but you don't even need his relics.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
Yeah, of the dualcast LM2 Ninjas (Shadow, Edge and eventually Yuffie once we find out what's happening with Record Missions), Shadow has the highest ninja damage increase, while Edge and Yuffie mix it up with water and katana damage. It makes him the best for Ninja Magic.

That said, Edge carries the 40% Ninja Damage RM which means you'll want to level him regardless. The Water/Katana boosts on Edge and Yuffie's dives mean they'll do better then Shadow on SB casts, but that doesn't matter much for Ninja Magic.

Just for numbers:

Shadow - 33%
[RD: 9% Ninja, 3% PHY w/Katana] [LD: 9% Ninja] [LM1: 15% Ninja]

Yuffie - 15% (18% on weakness)
[RD: 6% Ninja, 9% Thief, 3% Weakness] [LD: 9% Ninja] [LM1: 10% Water]

Edge - 12% (15% on weakness)
[RD: 12% Ninja, 3% Weakness] [LD: 9% PHY w/Katana] [LM1: 10% Water]

pichupal fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Sep 16, 2017

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

pichupal posted:

Yeah, of the dualcast LM2 Ninjas (Shadow, Edge and eventually Yuffie once we find out what's happening with Record Missions), Shadow has the highest ninja damage increase, while Edge and Yuffie mix it up with water and katana damage. It makes him the best for Ninja Magic.

That said, Edge carries the 40% Ninja Damage RM which means you'll want to level him regardless. The Water/Katana boosts on Edge and Yuffie's dives mean they'll do better then Shadow on SB casts, but that doesn't matter much for Ninja Magic.

Just for numbers:

Shadow - 33%
[RD: 9% Ninja, 3% PHY w/Katana] [LD: 9% Ninja] [LM1: 15% Ninja]

Yuffie - 15% (18% on weakness)
[RD: 6% Ninja, 9% Thief, 3% Weakness] [LD: 9% Ninja] [LM1: 10% Water]

Edge - 12% (15% on weakness)
[RD: 12% Ninja, 3% Weakness] [LD: 9% PHY w/Katana] [LM1: 10% Water]

Where does Fujin stand? I know she has 9% total +ninja from her RD (as well as 9% Black Magic, if that matters), but I don't know what her LD or LMs are.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

Awesome, I'll start leveling both of them on Sunday I guess!

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Prism posted:

Where does Fujin stand? I know she has 9% total +ninja from her RD (as well as 9% Black Magic, if that matters), but I don't know what her LD or LMs are.
She's all in on Wind damage; +9% through LD and +10% through LM1. LM2 is 30% to gain Quick Cast 3 after a Wind attack, LMR is EnWind on battle start.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Prism posted:

She's pretty much exclusively focused on wind damage for her RMs and LMs, so not really ideal but can still be usable.

RM2: +20% Wind Damage
RM3: +13% MAG/RES With Thrown Weapons

LM1: 30% Chance to gain Quick Cast 3 when using Wind attacks
LM2: +10% Wind Damage
LMR: Start battle with EnWind

EDIT: Beaten and I forgot to look at the stat increases from her Legend Dive. Doh!

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
Thanks! I basically have the SB options for her (BSB) or Edge (SSB...2? Eblan Doppleganger, anyway) so I was curious what the options were. Edge seems pretty strictly superior for ninja magic that is not wind.

I also have a whole set of Lion stuff, but I know she's more into thief abilities and stat breaks than ninja magic (though she does get +9% ninja damage too). Edit: Not her Ultra, just everything else.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

The 24th, so it should be hitting at just about the same time fest does.

Prism posted:

Fujin is a little better seen as a wind black mage who happens to have Ninja access. She falls into that same niche as Terra where she has access to Wrath, an OSB, and an enelement SSB, and that's all she needs as a nuker. The access to Raging Storm is a bonus in her case, not the big draw.

(This may change in the future if Raging Storm gets buffed to more hits; anyone know if it does? Because with all the +Wind she currently has, she's very very close to capping it against Golem if not outright over the line, there.)

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Sep 16, 2017

Kumog
Dec 28, 2006
Am I your god?
From my experience with Fujin, some +wind damage magicite, her BSB, and her SSB armor is enough to have her do straight 9s with Raging Storm to Golem even without diving or EnWind.

Her damage is honestly better for me without even touching her BSB, but I don't have enough hones to pull that off yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.
Yeah. My Fujin does ~9960x2 Raging Storms vs Golem at the start of the fight with no LD and Zidane's +wind SSB armor. Upgrade the +20% weakness RM that I'm using to +30% and it's easily straight nines.

BSB CMD1 hits very hard too after buffing her with History's Truth, Vessel of Fate and Faith. Shame I don't have enwind.

• Locked thread