Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Yup I’ve used spigen hybrids for years now and love them. I drop my phone like once a year and don’t let my kids touch it, so I really have no use for anything bulkier.

My only gripe is the new ones appear to have done away with the shiny chrome buttons in favor of black on the black bumper model/clear on the clear bumper model. The chrome buttons looked really nice.

Edit: Looks like the 8 is well on it's way to becoming the 4S/5S of it's generation, that model people cling to years past it's time because the newer models cut features they love.

BGrifter fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Sep 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

SeANMcBAY posted:

I like Apple’s own leather case on my 7. It’s very comfortable to hold. I went caseless for the first few months and I felt like the phone was so thin that it was digging into my palm.

The leather case is great but it does interfere with edge swipes a bit. Guess it's less of an issue now the hard press app switcher is gone.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

BGrifter posted:

Edit: Looks like the 8 is well on it's way to becoming the 4S/5S of it's generation, that model people cling to years past it's time because the newer models cut features they love.

They already took away the headphone jack

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012
I use the Apple battery case (the one with the oh so attractive hump) because battery life is a major concern for me and it gets rid of that. It's a shame that it's going to completely invalidate one of the key strengths of the iPhone 8/X though.

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
I'm looking for a wireless charger, but all the ones on amazon have wires. Where do you actually find one?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Poppyseed Poundcake posted:

I'm looking for a wireless charger, but all the ones on amazon have wires. Where do you actually find one?

https://fonesalesman.com/products/qistone-plus

Weedle
May 31, 2006

BGrifter posted:

I love my Spigen hybrid case on my iPhone 6s! I've been pretty anti-case for years, but it's just a bumper with a thin clear plastic back. Makes it sit flat despite the camera wart, gives a tiny lip if I put the phone face down. Very much worth :10bux:

I bought the Spigen Liquid Air Armor case for my 7 Plus and it permanently hosed up the finish on the back of the phone, leaving shiny speckles all over it. I'm still mad.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I love my Spigen clear cases to death. They feel SO nice and are my go to on every device. I've never had an issue with them. ymmv as seen though.

I really love the Vü charger but I need something that works with two phones at once. Any suggestions? I was hoping they had a larger one but they don't.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
What’s the slimmest case people can recommend for iPhone 7 with an open bottom? I got a lovely feeling flexible thing off eBay for £3 which honestly would be fine except having the bottom covered means it won’t work with my Belkin dock.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Lifehack: block all your apps from using location services, except when you're actually using the app and watch your battery life go up dramatically

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Question Mark Mound posted:

What’s the slimmest case people can recommend for iPhone 7 with an open bottom? I got a lovely feeling flexible thing off eBay for £3 which honestly would be fine except having the bottom covered means it won’t work with my Belkin dock.

Apple cases are pretty thin, but they do cover/extend past the bottom corners.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Kilometers Davis posted:

I really love the Vü charger but I need something that works with two phones at once. Any suggestions? I was hoping they had a larger one but they don't.

Can Qi even charge multiple devices at once without multiple pads/units? I thought that was part of the innovation of Apple's AirPower that they are offering back to Qi to put into the standard.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

fordan posted:

Can Qi even charge multiple devices at once without multiple pads/units? I thought that was part of the innovation of Apple's AirPower that they are offering back to Qi to put into the standard.

Oh that's an interesting point, I have no idea. Looks I'll be grabbing a few cheap ones now and then the AirPower next year. They really should have had that ready for release but yeah.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

… I don't understand. Do people really want battery powered contact-required (cause it's not wireless in the sense of wifi drat it) chargers? Like what use case is that for that a battery pack with a USB to lightning cable doesn't handle?

Anyway I was going to post that IKEA already sells Qi charging pads (and lamps) that don't seem too bad.

Like they have a coaster like pad:

A thing you can drill a hole into your tables to install (or presumably put it in those office tables with the holes already there for cables

And they also specifically sell a pad with 3 charging ports

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/categories/departments/wireless_charging/

e: sorry the sa app didn't make those timg links automatically

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Sep 16, 2017

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
I want a wireless charger with no wires. Like the prestige.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

I want a wireless charger with no wires. Like the prestige.

Can I ask why?

Not mocking I'm just honestly curious. I literally can't fathom a reason why a battery powered inductive charging pad would ever be a thing but that's also why I'm not a "inventor" stealing money from people through Kickstarter.

e: I mean the inductive charging thing is cool. I'd love to be able to just set my phone down on my night stand and it's already charging. I just can't think of a reason why a battery powered pad would ever be more useful than a small battery pack and a cable. It's not like you can pick up the phone from the pad.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Sep 16, 2017

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Does it have to not use the wires delivering electricity to your house to count as wireless?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Mophie makes a battery pack that does wireless charging.

http://www.mophie.com/shop/universal-batteries/charge-force-powerstation-wireless

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Endless Mike posted:

No, Gruber says that it was decided to get rid of it over a year ago, though it is true they never actually got it working, but it's because they stopped bothering well before production yields would be an issue.

https://daringfireball.net/2017/09/iphone_x_event_thoughts_and_observations

But at this point Gruber is just an Apple spokesman so...

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

enojy posted:

Apple cases are pretty thin, but they do cover/extend past the bottom corners.
The corners are fine, just need the space around the port and a bit into the speakers free.

That being said, I had an Apple silicone case for my 6 and it felt very thick to me. I’m more needing a case for little scratches and to make it more grippy rather than to protect from fall damage.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

SourKraut posted:

Eh, I think he's pretty well connected with important people at Apple and at times drinks the juice a bit too hard but I'm fairly sure he's not a paid shill. He is criticizing the dumb cutout after all and wrote that Ive is either going crazy or lost a big bet to allow it.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Ocrassus posted:

I use the Apple battery case (the one with the oh so attractive hump) because battery life is a major concern for me and it gets rid of that. It's a shame that it's going to completely invalidate one of the key strengths of the iPhone 8/X though.
If you’re talking about wireless charging, someone could make a new battery case that works to charge the phone and charge itself wirelessly. And since it wouldn’t have to plug into the port it'd eliminate the chin of all previous battery cases!

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
[quote="“SourKraut”" post="“476457573”"]
[/quote]

There is no point in history where this sentence wasn’t true.

False Toaster
Dec 29, 2006

Stupidity, its both physically and mentally painful.

wicka posted:

Incorrect. They stopped even trying to put the fingerprint sensor under the screen when they decided to pursue Face ID, which was over a year ago. Supply chain rumors were false. Touch ID ain’t coming back.

Oh I'm sorry I didn't know you worked for Apple. It's not like I'm just going off what's being leaked in the news this past year. You didn't even bother to read the second half of my post.

False Toaster posted:

Not true. They opted to not include TouchID because they couldn't get a feasible production yield with the on-screen fingerprint sensor (like Samsung with the S8/Note 8) in time. It'll likely happen next year when they can mainstream production or whenever Apple is comfortable fully adopting the tech.

False Toaster fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Sep 16, 2017

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
The anxiety over how hard-to-get the X will be has me literally up at night.*

*Just kidding. But drat it's gonna be a shitshow.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Make sure you post your purchase confirmation, were all dying to know

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
May have been asked.. lots of posts. How does wireless charging work with cases? Does it not? Are we doomed to go back to "big circle cutout around the Apple logo" cases in 2017?

[Edit]

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Make sure you post your purchase confirmation, were all dying to know

Not only will there be it's own thread for it, but I've ordered the domain "NoOneGivesaFuckAboutYourTracking#.com" to set up a whole new forum.

:)

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

We joke about it every time, but when the time comes...

I suppose people just cannot contain their excitement

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Feenix posted:

May have been asked.. lots of posts. How does wireless charging work with cases? Does it not? Are we doomed to go back to "big circle cutout around the Apple logo" cases in 2017?

Yes, all power must flow unimpeded from the Apple logo.

If your case isn't made metal then it will almost certainly work. Flesh clad cases will definitely work.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

But my magnetic wallet case that mounts on my magnetic car mount :mad:

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
[quote="“Feenix”" post="“476460075”"]
The anxiety over how hard-to-get the X will be has me literally up at night.*

*Just kidding. But drat it’s gonna be a shitshow.
[/quote]

I’ll believe it when I see it. So far everything stinks of a strategy to drive up demand sell more phones, with the plausible defence of ‘well, heck, because we delayed orders for a month we were able to build up enough supply.’

I don’t think people buying an iPhone X will have much more trouble than those buying the 8. Maybe that’s just a cynical view though.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

But my magnetic wallet case that mounts on my magnetic car mount :mad:
The more important thing here is that the charging coils not be covered in metal. Depending on how they are built into the phone (which we won't really know until someone tears one apart), it *might* be possible to place the magnets such that they don't interfere.

Hell, I seem to recall certain car mounts that are both magnetic and can charge.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

We joke about it every time, but when the time comes...

I suppose people just cannot contain their excitement

I kind of get that. I'm always excited to get a new iPhone or random technology, but they are so iterative at this point that I never understand that level of excitement. Like, March 3rd I was so god drat jacked to get my Nintendo Switch, and that was an industry shifting product and a device that got me back into gaming after over a decade away. And I still didn't post tracking updates.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

[quote="“Theophany”" post="“476460439”"]
I’ll believe it when I see it. So far everything stinks of a strategy to drive up demand sell more phones, with the plausible defence of ‘well, heck, because we delayed orders for a month we were able to build up enough supply.’

I don’t think people buying an iPhone X will have much more trouble than those buying the 8. Maybe that’s just a cynical view though.
[/quote]

The fact that 8s seem easy to get first day still further cements that getting an X will be a shitshow for months.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
[quote="“SeANMcBAY”" post="“476461722”"]
The fact that 8s seem easy to get first day still further cements that getting an X will be a shitshow for months.
[/quote]

I’m not sure I follow this logic.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Theophany posted:

I want you to be right, but it will definitely not be as available and easy as the 8. The 8 was available longer than I have seen a new phone be available in... generations.

Theophany posted:

Because a new phone, that would normally be snatched up by 12:15 am PST... was passed up for a phone that is coming next month and already has serious rumblings of diminished supply.

Everyone's poised and ready.

Feenix fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Sep 16, 2017

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

[quote="“Theophany”" post="“476462193”"]
[/quote]

The 8 isn’t selling out because people upgrading this year want an X.:v:

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
[quote="“SeANMcBAY”" post="“476462260”"]
The 8 isn’t selling out because people upgrading this year want an X.:v:
[/quote]

I guess we’ll have to see. I still think (however naively) that supply constraint rumours are being overplayed.

I’ll enjoy my X in January! :smith:

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
Every model of the 8 is currently available for pickup (with pre order, so no line gamble). Only shipments are 1-2 weeks out for some combinations.

Kind of pissed I woke up at 3AM to pre order since I didn't fall back asleep afterwards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
My carrier is out of 8+'s, but their shipping dates are as early as release week, so no real delay.

I've got to get an old janky 6's screen fixed for a trade in and then I'm down for at least one 8+. And no, I don't actually think it's worth the upgrade, but everyone else in my family must love using two hands to hold phones and they're ready to embrace tiny tablets. My Trumpian hands prefer a SE.