Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I don't even care if there's still some trafficking. I can't remember the last time I've ever heard of someone getting shot over smuggling terrible bootleg cigs or burning down a house with their stupid tobacco grow op and nobody goes to jail for having a cig at a park. That's good enough for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Restricting access to weed among youth and turning it into a major cash cow for the government decreases the chance that it will reduce the load in law enforcement and the courts. The heavier the restrictions on how it's sold the larger the grey market will be, and if the people who determine police budgets are suddenly relying on revenue from marijuana sales to keep income and property taxes low then you could easily end up with much more restrictive and extensive police enforcement.

Marijuana mostly serves as a catch all excuse to search and harass people. Make it a major source of government revenue and the state might take a much more active role than their current pose of benign neglect.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

EvilJoven posted:

I don't even care if there's still some trafficking. I can't remember the last time I've ever heard of someone getting shot over smuggling terrible bootleg cigs or burning down a house with their stupid tobacco grow op and nobody goes to jail for having a cig at a park. That's good enough for me.

Black market tobacco is definitely nowhere near the revenue of other drugs but it's definitely a big business for criminal organizations. Estimated that the tax revenue lost from cigarettes is in the billions in Canada. Weed will be bigger.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
It's also worth noting that Ontario's proposed legislation makes it illegal to smoke up in the park.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

infernal machines posted:

It's also worth noting that Ontario's proposed legislation makes it illegal to smoke up in the park.

but can you still gently caress in it?

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
There is apparently a pretty huge black market for Chinese cigarettes because they are dirt cheap and mainlander immigrants actually prefer them for their "stronger taste".

I would never have imagined that to be a thing.

Mmm extra mysterious heavy metals and god knows what else in my already super self destructive drug of choice.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

You can't smoke anything in a lot of parks already, which is very good. Keep that disgusting habit away from others, and during the summer it's a big fire risk too because most smokers are selfish dumbasses who flick their butts anywhere they want.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Canadian cigs are pretty gross, to be honest. I would've bought the gently caress out of contraband Lucky Strikes back when I was smoking, even if they were the exact same price.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Ban all cigarettes imo.

Raise the legal age to buy cigarettes by a year every year, so that existing addicts aren't overly punished but no one else is allowed to start smoking.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

PT6A posted:

Canadian cigs are pretty gross, to be honest. I would've bought the gently caress out of contraband Lucky Strikes back when I was smoking, even if they were the exact same price.

All cigarette are gross, you loving weirdo

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Helsing posted:

Restricting access to weed among youth and turning it into a major cash cow for the government decreases the chance that it will reduce the load in law enforcement and the courts. The heavier the restrictions on how it's sold the larger the grey market will be, and if the people who determine police budgets are suddenly relying on revenue from marijuana sales to keep income and property taxes low then you could easily end up with much more restrictive and extensive police enforcement.

Hence the huge police presence that's used to enforce alcohol and tobacco?

I doubt it. After legalization possession will be legal, which removes the most common legal offense and the most common excuse to harass people. The grey market is neither here nor there in this case. When it comes to grow ops or dispensaries then yeah it will matter more, and dispensaries will probably be cracked down on hard in most jurisdictions.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Solution: make weed legal for kids

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Kill all smokers

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

bunnyofdoom posted:

but can you still gently caress in it?

Try and stop me.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Try and stop me.

No no in Canada we say "just watch me"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

vyelkin posted:

No no in Canada we say "just watch me"

Good point.

Unrelated, Canada's MMJ winners struggle with social justice

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I'm sorry for posting stupid Twitter poo poo, but

https://twitter.com/CPC_HQ/status/908800592784515072

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Tries too hard...

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Might be another good opportunity right about now to make some money off another hype bubble in weed stocks. Seems to be something positive for the weed biz in the news every couple days now.

This has been your daily hot stock tip in the Canadian Politics thread on the (dead, gay) Something Awful comedy forums.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
Conservatives can't do humour to save their lives, and it's a bad look whenever they try.

Just know your audience and stick to being sour, serious and overly dire.

brucio
Nov 22, 2004
I hope the conservatives go all in on the meme war

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

odiv posted:

I actually liked that meme :(

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

odiv posted:

Sorry, more Vice, here's the Con's internal strategy for slagging the Liberals over the proposed tax changes.

brucio posted:

I hope the conservatives go all in on the meme war

Always fun, because the pool they draw from is nothing but the most vile, racist, misogynistic poo poo out of the states. They can't seem to help dog whistling the ugliest garbage, intentional or no.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Sep 16, 2017

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

odiv posted:

this would actually be funny if they weren't using it to shill for Friedmanism and just made Trudeau look like dat boi. It's literally impossible for them to just be funny; they always have to stick a razor in the apple.

At least the means-tested profanity dodge makes me laugh.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I know a not-even-relatively politically active 16 year old, who is presumably exactly the target market they should be trying to reach with those, and he follows the CPC just so he can laugh at their dumb memes.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Nice hair, though.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

odiv posted:

Fearmongering over debt is dumb, but that's actually a pretty good meme.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

https://twitter.com/acoyne/status/908773854004285440

Hahahaha

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I'm not clicking an Andrew come tweet yyvm

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
https://twitter.com/justin_ling/status/908877450175754240

Lol pierre you loving sack of poo poo

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I feel so weird and dirty whenever I read a Vice article that's like, actual journalism.

edit: I suppose it would add context to this post if I added in the link: https://news.vice.com/story/we-obtained-the-conservatives-internal-strategy-on-trudeaus-tax-changes-heres-whats-wrong-with-it

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Aug 25, 2018

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

:qq: People making over $200,000 of investment income a year have to pay 73% tax on whatever investment income they make over $200,000. :qq:

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

McGavin posted:

:qq: People making over $200,000 of investment income a year have to pay 73% tax on whatever investment income they make over $200,000. :qq:

It's so hard to be rich, I have to pay my cooks and gardeners!

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Aug 25, 2018

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Argas posted:

It's so hard to be rich, I have to pay my cooks and gardeners!

I look forward to seeing the $200,000+ set having to deal with being outpaced by inflation, just like the plebes underneath them.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Thank goodness the Conservative party is there to stand up for the roughly 50,000 out of 1.8 million CCPCs in Canada who use dividend sprinkling to lower their tax burden by $250,000,000 per year. :ohdear:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

https://twitter.com/AirCanada/status/908753795265556480

Twitter is definitely the right place for Canada's largest airline to call out the CBC.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Powershift posted:

https://twitter.com/AirCanada/status/908753795265556480

Twitter is definitely the right place for Canada's largest airline to call out the CBC.

Actually the link in that tweet is to their original attack delivered on loving Facebook of all things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

James Baud posted:

Specifically, people with small businesses earning 200k+ pay that on the income on money they have accumulated over the past 40+ years of this tax regime. People who don't have small businesses but earn 200k+ pay significantly less. Likewise they pay massively higher taxes if they planned on dividending these retained earnings out through retirement to a spouse who might not pass the new "reasonability" test.

We see some claims that people will be grandfathered, but that's as much BS as the claims that 50k earners pay more tax than 250k earners until proven otherwise - it ups the complexity dramatically. At best it looks like they'll get to hold onto their historic RDTOH balance, no way out for the funds that are in the corp now that they've gone down this path -- unless they're already at the top marginal rate, meaning this only really hurts the lower earners.

Anyway, I made my way through a couple hours of CPA Canada material on this stuff yesterday. There are a couple interesting things that came up:

1) Keeping a corporation within family (generational transition) seems to result in 30% higher tax bill than selling to outsiders.
2) Reasons to pay salary over dividends: when CRA challenges reasonability, this makes the legal bill / penalty a corporate expense instead of a personal one.

nah