Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
In my *sync fanfiction, some random Norwegian guy pops up like, "Sup my dudes, I finally got done hacking nVidia drivers to support freesync. Linux only, lol".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Wasn't there a batch of Nvidia laptops that had "Gsync" which was actually just a variant of Freesync?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

SwissCM posted:

Wasn't there a batch of Nvidia laptops that had "Gsync" which was actually just a variant of Freesync?

nvidia selling you completely unneeded poo poo for $200? naaaah, not possible :v:

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Truga posted:

nvidia selling you completely unneeded poo poo for $200? naaaah, not possible :v:

Even if it was basically Freesync it had a better and actually useful range.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

SwissCM posted:

They had some form of adaptive sync done through software, I'm not sure if it was actually adhering to the Freesync specs or not.

Truga posted:

This is silly, the laptops are sold by the manufacturer, the screen and everything else are included in the price, as far as I know there were not equivalent laptops that just lacked adaptive sync so it's impossible to tell what the premium for that feature is, also lol if you think the manufacturers were paying for gsync modules that never went into the laptops, the only thing they paid Nvidia for was the GPUs and the right to slap "Gsync" on the box.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

VulgarandStupid posted:

Even if it was basically Freesync it had a better and actually useful range.

Freesync has a perfectly good range in theory, it's only lovely implementations that are letting it down.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
vega is pretty power effecient in theory, its only lovely implementations that are letting it down

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

That's one of the more egregious examples of false equivalence I've seen.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
something is or isnt, what it should be has no bearing on what it is. Freesync would be excellent if it fell within the design specs. It generally doesnt so it generally sucks

im just calling out an essentially worthless statement with an equally worthless statement not putting forward either as truth. Either one could be left unsaid and take away nothing from the conversation

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Sep 16, 2017

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Maxwell Adams posted:

In my *sync fanfiction, some random Norwegian guy pops up like, "Sup my dudes, I finally got done hacking nVidia drivers to support freesync. Linux only, lol".

Please don't publish my fanfic without permission.

There are perfectly good implementations of Freesync, just don't buy the lovely ones?

The Asus MG248Q is perfectly awesome, and I'd recommend that any day for 1080p gaming. I'm going to give it to my buddy paired with an RX 570 so he can play PC games with me again.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

There's bad implementations of every technology. Freesync is awesome on paper and in practice, it's mostly saddled from being supported by the least popular GPU vendor which understandably limits the amount of effort monitor manufacturers put into supporting it.

Gsync isn't really worth the cost, adding an expensive ASIC and a chunk of memory to each monitor is hugely wasteful considering the negligible benefits. But it does benefit from being backed by a vendor who uses it as a technological wedge.

If consumers actually had a choice, freesync would win out.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
A year ago I'd have bought an RX480 if it weren't for the dearth of freesync monitors with acceptable refresh ranges. It doesn't really matter if freesync monitors are cheaper if they're also lovely. Maybe that's changed in the meantime, but since I hopped on the 1440p 144Hz train, going for freesync just means the cost transfers from the monitor to the overpriced 300W GPU and new power supply.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Fauxtool posted:

something is or isnt, what it should be has no bearing on what it is. Freesync would be excellent if it fell within the design specs. It generally doesnt so it generally sucks

im just calling out an essentially worthless statement with an equally worthless statement not putting forward either as truth. Either one could be left unsaid and take away nothing from the conversation

But there are good Freesync monitors with ranges wide enough to support lfc. So it's not some "what if", but rather that a lot of manufacturers are tacking it on as a half-assed feature.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

There's also a hell of a lot of garbage G-Sync TN monitors.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
Freesync is also saddled with piss-poor framerate software limiters. The FRTC thing built into Catalyst driver just fails to work a lot of the time. I've found a solution that actually works on my RX 470, which is to set FRTC to X, the limit you want, and then set the framerate limit in Rivatuner to X + 1. Any frames that try to slip past FRTC get caught by Rivatuner. It sounds absurd, and it absolutely is, but it works. Also, Rivatuner can properly limit the framerate in Vulkan, which FRTC can't do at all.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Fauxtool posted:

vega is pretty power effecient in theory, its only lovely implementations that are letting it down

Here's a hot take. Don't release lovely implementations as a demo of the power of your card.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Hope Raja is enjoying his holiday.

How much of Vega was set before he joined? Was there ever any chance anyone could have created a decent arch in that time, or beat gcn into something decent for gaming?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

SwissCM posted:

It was more comparable to Freesync 2 in that it actually had quality standards.

Gsync in laptops does not use the special chip, it is basically DP Adaptive Sync just like Freesync. Just like Freesync there are driver hacks which have managed to enable it on unsupported models.

The difference between the two is that AMD allowed monitor makers to slap the Freesync name on basically anything that could work with adaptive sync, even if the adaptive sync range was pretty much useless, because they wanted numbers. nVidia is pickier because their market position allows them to be.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Note: Raja died on the way back to his home planet

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

SwissCM posted:

If consumers actually had a choice, freesync would win out.

Heh, I feel like if the reverse of what everybody whines for happened and you could use Gsync on AMD cards, you'd see a fair number of AMD owners rocking those Dell monitors that go on sale regularly.

SwissCM posted:

How many of them are actually broken in some way like the Vega bundle monitor that wouldn't stop flickering? I kind of doubt it, calling them garbage is just tech snobbery toward TN panels (which, I vaguely get it, but to some people like myself that's all that fits in their budget so it's not like you can act like they shouldn't exist.)

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Sep 16, 2017

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
I have a garbage TN gsync monitor. Its great. I dont think there is anything shittier than what I have either.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

SwissCM posted:

Yikes, which?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Subjunctive posted:

Yikes, which?

AFAIK they're only "garbage" by virtue of being TN. Otherwise they're generally pretty decent to outright good.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I realize that IPS has to advantages, but there seems to be no limit to "now I can never go back again" posting for spending more and more and more money on monitor technology. You are basically saying "thank god I spent $500 on a monitor instead of $300 like a garbage person" at that rate.

I can't wait for the first "now that I've experienced Gsync + 180hz + 21:9 + 4K + HDR + Prototype Korean Display Technology That Adds $1,000 To The Price monitor I could never go back. Heh, feel sorry for you peons. :smug:"

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

Craptacular! posted:

I realize that IPS has to advantages, but there seems to be no limit to "now I can never go back again" posting for spending more and more and more money on monitor technology. You are basically saying "thank god I spent $500 on a monitor instead of $300 like a garbage person" at that rate.

I can't wait for the first "now that I've experienced Gsync + 180hz + 21:9 + 4K + HDR + Prototype Korean Display Technology That Adds $1,000 To The Price monitor I could never go back. Heh, feel sorry for you peons. :smug:"

I'd like to think most people arent saying TN owners are sub human scum. I own both a TN and IPS gsync monitor and even hardware calibrated the TN doesnt come close to the colors of the IPS. I understand the TNs are much more affordable but I also dont plan on upgrading the 1440/144/gysnc/IPS for a long time so I didnt mind dropping the extra cash.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

HalloKitty posted:

Freesync has a perfectly good range in theory, it's only lovely implementations that are letting it down.

More often than not the range is pathetic, who cares about theory?

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

How much of Vega was set before he joined? Was there ever any chance anyone could have created a decent arch in that time, or beat gcn into something decent for gaming?

Raja joined RTG right before the 290 launched. AMD hasn't had a good videocard since (He also was at AMD prior to 2009 but it's wasn't obvious from some quick searches what his role was then). Lisa Su might turn it around, she's an accomplished engineer with successful projects all over the electronics industry. Raja is a business executive who'd try to run a tech company like a grocery store like a toy company. He was in charge of GPUs at Apple before he came back to AMD, the company with notably bad GPUs and difficult software.

On monitors. I find that a good TN can be better than a bad IPS, but a bad TN can be incredible levels of bad that would make you hate using a computer. My main monitor is IPS and my side monitors I mostly use for keeping an IRC window and watching videos on are good TNs and I don't have a problem with them. For a couple weeks while I was getting my main IPS monitor RMAed and I had to use a side monitor as my main one it effected my mood. The contrast and colors were so much flatter it made me depressed to look at every day. There's nothing really wrong with it, but it felt depressing to have to look at all the time instead of just on the side. Even if I wanted to drop over 1,000 dollars on new hardware, I don't think replacing my side TN panels would be the first place I'd go. For me personally I'd probably spend that on a more modern dedicated NAS instead of an old repurposed Core 2 machine that I stuff used RAID cards and new WD Reds into.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

B-Mac posted:

I'd like to think most people arent saying TN owners are sub human scum. I own both a TN and IPS gsync monitor and even hardware calibrated the TN doesnt come close to the colors of the IPS. I understand the TNs are much more affordable but I also dont plan on upgrading the 1440/144/gysnc/IPS for a long time so I didnt mind dropping the extra cash.

Having both near each other would be hard to swallow. There are different "grades" of TN though, I can attest to that, and the "good" TN panels are significantly better than what you normally think of. The viewing angle problem is effectively non existent on my Dell 27 Gsync except from the bottom which I suppose is by design. It beats general IPS panels in that regard and is absolutely nothing like TN poo poo we all know and have seen. The backlight is flawless, and even now as I type I can barely tell the bezel from the screen since most of my background is black and there is zero glow anywhere and its completely uniform (a hardly conclusive lovely cell phone pic but you get the idea). I could never say that about even a nice $1000 IPS display I've owned.

The one and only thing that is without question is the colors are muted compared to an IPS display. I can't really tell anymore since I sold the IPS it replaced, but when I had them both it was painfully obvious. However I got used to it and without the other lovely TN problems, I love this monitor.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

B-Mac posted:

I'd like to think most people arent saying TN owners are sub human scum.

Most aren't, but a couple are. You're just not one of them.

craig588 posted:

He was in charge of GPUs at Apple before he came back to AMD, the company with notably bad GPUs and difficult software.
Should also be noted that Apple is just now getting into the GPU business for iOS devices, with no Raja.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think the 1080p gsync screens are TN because they are being made primarily for FPS gamers where the barely better response response time can matter and colors arent as important.

The display lag on a good IPS and a good TN are both as low as 10ms so its more important that you get a good monitor, not which panel tech it uses.

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Sep 16, 2017

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Is there a reason all the monitors are 27" instead of something like 23-25"?

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

ufarn posted:

economics of pixel size?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Higher DPI = higher cost.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

ufarn posted:

24's exist, at least in the same series of Dells I was talking about above. Its much rarer though. I was really considering the 24, I like 27 just fine but I think I'd prefer a 24" 1440p for FPS's but it cost exactly the same as the 27 at the time

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

ufarn posted:

To spite and depress normal people who would like to have a regular sized monitor with the nice features. :negative:

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Yeah, I guess it's just that until - or if - this stuff becomes mainstream without all the GAMER aesthetic and G-Sync Tax.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I mean if you're looking at budget Gsync, the rather modest designed Dells are pretty good.

You spend more and you get GAMER stuff with names like Predator or light-projected logos like the latest ROG display.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

Craptacular! posted:

Most aren't, but a couple are. You're just not one of them.
When HDR monitors start appearing, IPS snobbery will die right down.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Probably not, some people actively don't like how HDR looks. It'll happen when OLED gets mainstream, OLED does everything IPS does, but better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rawrl
Mar 30, 2010
I'm perfectly happy on my 60hz U2410. I'll get a g-sync/144hz/whatever monitor when they make a 16:10 IPS model.