Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Autism Sneaks posted:

Zepheniah Mann? Silas Mann? SAXTON HALE!?

Remington Steele

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

SaintFu posted:

I haven’t looked at the reviews for Inhumans, or even the Rotten Tomatoes page, but I think it’s worth remembering that for RT’s purposes, a review that says “Eh, probably not worth your time or money” is the same as a review that says “This film is a crime against humanity.” I’d be willing to bet that most of the reviews for Inhumans fall into the former category.

Yep. Still not good, but RT says anything rated 60% or better is Fresh, anything lower is Rotten. So something could get nothing but 50-55% scores, and as long as nothing ekes over that magic 60%, that's a 0% rating.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The RT standard seems odd anyway since its not a movie but was rather 2 episodes in an 8 episode season. I mean, I get that that's their fault for the weird IMax premiere thing but its just kind of an odd way to judge a miniseries.

Most of what I've seen seems to range from "eh, its a mediocre waste of time" to "its not as bad as I was expecting but still isn't great." None of that sounds great but the bar was set really low with all the... what's the opposite of hype? It almost feels like the bar was set at "are you embarrassed to be seeing what you're seeing on this screen?"

My expectations are still at "eh, seems like something I might have fun binging in the winter."

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

STAC Goat posted:

The RT standard seems odd anyway since its not a movie but was rather 2 episodes in an 8 episode season. I mean, I get that that's their fault for the weird IMax premiere thing but its just kind of an odd way to judge a miniseries.

RT tracks TV shows as well. And will pull critic ratings into the overall "freshness" regardless of the number episodes reviewed.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
He's BAAAAAAACK

http://io9.gizmodo.com/a-year-after-his-spinoff-died-lance-hunter-is-returnin-1802729856

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Alright guess I'm now hoping The Orville crashes and burns :v:

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Regy Rusty posted:

It might do that as part of the plot anyway

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Regy Rusty posted:

Wow, after reading some of those reviews... It's definitely going to. It sounds like it's a combination of poor advertising (Fox is advertising it as a Seth MacFarlane comedy when it's a straight-up homage to Star Trek) and the fact that MacFarlane can't actually act. Which is a shame because we could use a good version of old-school Star Trek.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Blazing Ownager posted:

Wow, Inhumans hit a 0% on Rotten Tomatoes.

It's only like 12 reviewers so far, which isn't nearly enough for an actual "percentage".

RT is weird. I've seen a ton of movies with low percentages that I really enjoyed.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Friends of mine saw it in Imax and their general impression that it looks cheap, the plot is really thin, and Maximus actually seems like he's the good guy.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

twistedmentat posted:

Friends of mine saw it in Imax and their general impression that it looks cheap, the plot is really thin, and Maximus actually seems like he's the good guy.

I think that's the problem they'll always have. Maximus is, on paper at least, fighting to free the lower castes from their life of servitude to the distant royals. You have to be puppy kicking levels of bad to make him the bad guy, cause that just sounds like the plot to an action movie.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

seaborgium posted:

I think that's the problem they'll always have. Maximus is, on paper at least, fighting to free the lower castes from their life of servitude to the distant royals. You have to be puppy kicking levels of bad to make him the bad guy, cause that just sounds like the plot to an action movie.
Doesn't Inhumans have an actual, literal puppy to kick though? If that's all it takes, it shouldn't be that hard!

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
Yeah, but he's a teleporting puppy. It'd be hard to kick him.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hunter! Charming bastard.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

ApeHawk posted:

Yeah, but he's a teleporting puppy. It'd be hard to kick him.

"It's Lockjaw, right?"
"And you are?"
"I'm the guy who kicks Lockjaw."

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

seaborgium posted:

According to them Attilan is really lovely; If you don't get powers from Terrigen you're sent to the mines. So either you have powers or you're a slave. Its really hard to justify that kind of society

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

twistedmentat posted:

According to them Attilan is really lovely; If you don't get powers from Terrigen you're sent to the mines. So either you have powers or you're a slave. Its really hard to justify that kind of society

Imagine if you undergo terrigenesis and gets earthbending or mole powers.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
:siren:ACTUAL LEGITIMATE SEASON 5 SPOILERS: Hunter's back! :woop:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Spergatory posted:

:siren:ACTUAL LEGITIMATE SEASON 5 SPOILERS: Hunter's back! :woop:

Huh I had no ide-

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

twistedmentat posted:

Can't help but think that Daisy would take one look at the Royals and go "Wow, you're even worse than my mom."

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Smoke on the street says they're coming back immediately after Inhumans ends, no break between shows.

Have they bumped it up in the schedule in the hope it'll make people forget the embarrassing failed show preceding it?

It just feels to me like Inhumans has "turkey" written all over it, and I'm pretty sure ABC feel the same way(they were reportedly not happy with the quality of the show at all).

But on the other hand, if it means we get more AoS sooner rather than later then I'm all for it. Thanks, Inhumans!

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
And they are getting Hunter out of Mothballs, Wheres Bobbi? Inquiring minds want to know.

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Sep 10, 2017

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Rocksicles posted:

And they are getting Hunter out of Mothballs, Wheres Bobbi? Inquiring minds want to know.

She's on a different space mission.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Rocksicles posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMKECRnZe2U

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bummer, that looks awful.

Where's the pool sitting, canceled in season 1 or 2? Fox ain't paying that.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
That looks less cringey than Enterprise.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Hopefully it dies a quick death so we can get Mockingbird back.

And then I get my dream of a Black Widow/Hawkeye/Mockingbird/SHIELD movie.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

The alien makeup looks surprisingly great though.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The Orville is apparently Fox's biggest drama premier since Empire. We might not get Bobbi back for a while, depending on how the other episodes will perform.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Some things about the firet ep:
-Ward's little eyebrow raise when Son of Coul mentions his family background
-Ward hating every moment until he gets to shoot someome in the head to save the day at the end. The slow motion smile at the end makes it.
-During the interrogation, Ward says he killed people, "terrible people who wanted to hurt nice people" and that he felt "bad" about it
-May beats the poo poo out of a cop who was just "doing his job" (he shot an unarmed black man)
-Fitzsimmons :allears:
-Skye gratuitous boob shot

Conclusion: Ward is a loooot more interesting upon rewatch.

3 DONG HORSE fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Sep 16, 2017

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

The MSJ posted:

The Orville is apparently Fox's biggest drama premier since Empire. We might not get Bobbi back for a while, depending on how the other episodes will perform.

Really? Literally* every review, both from actual reviewers and from friends, that I've seen/heard basically boiled down to a resounding "meh?"

*And I don't mean literally as in figuratively, I mean it as literally.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

There was a lot of build and hype around it's premiere and it was basically the first new show of the fall season. I gave it a chance despite not being super interested in the premise (I did not care for it, gave up on it twice, and never finished). The more telling case I imagine will be if holds onto viewers going forward and once the fall season truly starts.

Which isn't to say I expect it to failure, get cancelled, and Bobbj to return. I'm just saying.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

hangedman1984 posted:

Really? Literally* every review, both from actual reviewers and from friends, that I've seen/heard basically boiled down to a resounding "meh?"

*And I don't mean literally as in figuratively, I mean it as literally.

Reviewers seem to hate it yes, but viewer reception has been a lot more positive. Personally I thought it was decent and has potential to get a lot better. It remains to be seen if the big numbers the premier got hold up.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
The first episode wasn't bad, and it seems like there's a good show in there somewhere. Also, SHIELD has made me a little tolerant about weak early episodes.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Orville was still way better than the AOS pilot that I rewatched last night (to be fair, Orville doesn't have to tread water until a movie drops). Orville is not a straight up parody/comedy like it was advertised as. It's a sort of TNG with a lighter mood that could be good or utterly terrible. I'm optimistic though.

3 DONG HORSE fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Sep 16, 2017

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, the marketing gave me the impression that Orville was Galaxy Quest: the Series. I guess it's actually more serious than that?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Just watched the Orville pilot and...eugh. It really just seems like a cheap, shameless Star Trek ripoff with a layer of McFarlane's unfunny smarm caked on top.

Lurken
Nov 10, 2012

Phylodox posted:

Just watched the Orville pilot and...eugh. It really just seems like a cheap, shameless Star Trek ripoff with a layer of McFarlane's unfunny smarm caked on top.

It's kind of pretty to look at, at least.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

jivjov posted:

Yeah, the marketing gave me the impression that Orville was Galaxy Quest: the Series. I guess it's actually more serious than that?

It has pretty much no relation to Galaxy Quest. Galaxy Quest was both a parody and a love letter to Star Trek. Orville is Star Trek with the numbers filed off and dick jokes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
blackagar boltagon

• Locked thread