Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Ithle01 posted:

I've seen the Congo War compared to the 30YW at least a couple times before. I think the first time I saw it was in the book Dancing in the Glory of Monsters. And everything I've read about it seems to indicate that yup that's a real nightmare.

Would you care to elaborate? I'm reading the wiki for the 2nd congo war atm but at this point, thanks to this thread, I know more about how the 30YW was prosecuted than why it was fought. I know some dudes got defenestrated into horseshit and were apparently "lucky"

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Sep 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
It's luckier to be defenestrated into horse poo poo than cobblestones.considering the window was 20 metres up.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

steinrokkan posted:

Imagine the Nazis got their way with Russia.

Oh, yeah, I'm aware of it now, but it would've been good to know when I was 15.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

GotLag posted:

It's luckier to be defenestrated into horse poo poo than cobblestones.considering the window was 20 metres up.

Considering the era the cobblestones were probably covered in poo poo too.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Milo and POTUS posted:

Would you care to elaborate? I'm reading the wiki for the 2nd congo war atm but at this point, thanks to this thread, I know more about how the 30YW was prosecuted than why it was fought. I know some dudes got defenestrated into horseshit and were apparently "lucky"

It's compared that way because it killed and displaced a incredibly large number of people, but a lot of that is through famine, disease, and an atmosphere of violence. There's a lot going on here and a multitude of combatants that aren't really sharing objectives so much as sharing an opportunity. Kind of like how the Protestant side in the 30YW was more or less only unified by their desire to smash around the HRE. When people compare the two conflicts I think they're talking about the pervasive atmosphere of violence though. Sort of like when a bunch of soldiers just show up in a town that's unrelated to whatever conflict they're involved in and something sets them off so they burn it down and kill everyone.

edit: the 'whys' for why the 30yW was fought comes down to who you're talking about. I think Europe's Tragedy spends it's first 300 pages laying this out so I'm not even going to bother to try here because there's no way I know enough to do so. Let's just say everyone had their own reason. The 30YW isn't so much one war as a series of wars fought in the same general area over roughly similar reasons. HEYGAL had a really good graph that showed this, but I have no idea where in the thread it went.

Ithle01 fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Sep 16, 2017

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Ithle01 posted:

When people compare the two conflicts I think they're talking about the pervasive atmosphere of violence though.
They're also similar in...structure, you could call it. You have a large area with relatively weak central control surrounded by polities which are more centralized, all of which have some sort of interest in the region. The combination is pretty dangerous.

quote:

HEYGAL had a really good graph that showed this, but I have no idea where in the thread it went.
Is it this?

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Sep 16, 2017

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

steinrokkan posted:

Imagine the Nazis got their way with Russia.

A million wind-swept square kms of strewn bones and half-completed Himmler-pattern brick outhouses, in the best tradition of German utopias

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

HEY GAIL posted:

They're also similar in...structure. You have a large area with relatively weak central control surrounded by polities which are more centralized, all of which have some sort of interest in the region.

Is it this?

What's with Bavaria taking a gap year?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

GotLag posted:

they all decided to commit treason against the emperor at once that year

good times

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

GotLag posted:

That was the year the Bavarians decided to do a war abroad instead.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

HEY GAIL posted:

They're also similar in...structure, you could call it. You have a large area with relatively weak central control surrounded by polities which are more centralized, all of which have some sort of interest in the region. The combination is pretty dangerous.

Is it this?

Yup that's the one. Thanks.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Communist Zombie posted:

Wasnt the reason that Russia didnt join Napoleon, who apparently offered them being a major partner in the Continental System, was that his Foreign Minister went behind his back to convince the Tsar that it was a bad idea? So not only would the Russian campaign not happen the Russian Empire would be working to actively support him.

The problem is, Napoleon didn't really offer the Tsar much- it was an alliance built on sand. There was a lot of money in dealing with the English, and Napoleon's adventures in Making Poland Great Again probably prevented any lasting compromise with him. The fact that the Continental System wasn't crippling England probably also contributed to the tsar losing interest in it.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Ithle01 posted:

Yup that's the one. Thanks.
it's wrong about saxony, saxony ended hostilities with bohemia in 1625 so the black bar should be longer

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Panzeh posted:

The problem is, Napoleon didn't really offer the Tsar much- it was an alliance built on sand.
Yeah but they were in love. Love conquers all. At least that's the way those first few months read.

E: and then Nappy went back to that slut Josephine. No, really, she got around.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Sep 16, 2017

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
To be fair to Napoleon, Alexander really sounded like a boring dude. Like, a drawer full of wires of the same length boring.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

SeanBeansShako posted:

To be fair to Napoleon, Alexander really sounded like a boring dude. Like, a drawer full of wires of the same length boring.
i dunno, he liked gamig

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
Not true! Alexander's goony antics are one of the reasons reading about the Vienna Concert that came after Napoleon was defeated is so entertaining.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

:black101:

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

GotLag posted:

Horse poo poo? That's a filthy protestant lie!

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Sunday! Sunday! Sunday!

Monster Tanks!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I feel like pitting a T...somethingorother vs a BMP2 is very unsporting.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Well, you see, when a daddy tank and a mommy APC love each other very much...

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Where's this from?

statim
Sep 5, 2003

SlothfulCobra posted:

I actually wrote an essay back then about how Cassius was right to try to defend the Republic in Shakespeare's play.

I....I yes

"Why, Caesar straddles the narrow world like a giant, and we petty men walk under his huge legs and look forward only to dying dishonorably, as slaves. Men can be masters of their fate. It is not destiny’s fault, but our own faults, that we’re slaves. “Brutus” and “Caesar.” What’s so special about “Caesar”? Why should that name be proclaimed more than yours? Write them together—yours is just as good a name. Pronounce them—it is just as nice to say. Weigh them—it’s just as heavy."

Did the same thing, Cassius is the best.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
my mom wrote an essay comparing brutus to rommel but she may have been a huge goon

i <3 goonmom

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The only Romans worth defending are the Gracchi

statim
Sep 5, 2003

Plutonis posted:

The only Romans worth defending are the Gracchi

Populist agitator scum.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

HEY GAIL posted:

my mom wrote an essay comparing brutus to rommel but she may have been a huge goon

i <3 goonmom

My god, it runs in the family

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

OwlFancier posted:

T-72. Or possibly 90 but it's the same family.

I feel like my redtext should possibly be about the fact I knew that on sight.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
what cool poo poo should i see in London apart from the imperial war musuem that isnt normal poo poo like big ben and the palace?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

spectralent posted:

T-72. Or possibly 90 but it's the same family.

I feel like my redtext should possibly be about the fact I knew that on sight.

I was gonna say T72 but the weird angular turret armour threw me as yeah that's more T90 I think.

We can be goons together.

Waroduce posted:

what cool poo poo should i see in London apart from the imperial war musuem that isnt normal poo poo like big ben and the palace?

Well big ben's been turned off for a few years so you are gonna have to stand outside and yell BONG if you want the full experience.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

OwlFancier posted:

I was gonna say T72 but the weird angular turret armour threw me as yeah that's more T90 I think.

We can be goons together.

Also on the B3:

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Murgos posted:

E: and then Nappy went back to that slut Josephine. No, really, she got around.

thsi is extremely cool and chill

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Waroduce posted:

HMS Belfast is pretty thread appropriate.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Alchenar posted:

Where's this from?

Spotted it on reddit, did some searching

http://militaryzoneupdate.blogspot.ca/2012/03/oops-sorry-didn-see-you-russian-t-72.html?m=1

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Waroduce posted:

While not directly Milhist, I'll always recommend the British museum (especially if you read the classical history thread), the science museum, and the natural history museum. London has alot of good, free museums.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Pfft, amateur! :v: T-72B of unknown revision as the identifying FCS systems and other turret features are hidden in the photo.

HEY GAIL posted:

:aaa: you also compare the Great Congo War to the 30yw, because they're really similar in form! and we each came up with it independently! thank you!

HEY GAIL posted:

i <3 goonmom

I have a feeling a descendant of yours will write about the Congo and be known as HEY FAL :haw:

Xerxes17 fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Sep 16, 2017

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Waroduce posted:

The Victoria and Albert museum is full of beautiful trinkets and Imperialist loot. Cool milhist loot mixed in there too, like a ton of fancy royal muskets, damasced helmets and armour, it's just a great mish-mash of interesting stuff.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Xerxes17 posted:

I have a feeling a descendant of yours will write about the Congo and be known as HEY FAL :haw:
there was an ancestor who was into occultism, HEY GRAIL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

HEY GAIL posted:

there was an ancestor who was into occultism, HEY GRAIL

your father HEY MALE