Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Heathen posted:

Don't forget the hottest character of Secret Empire... Black Out.
Blackout is another example, yeah. He first appeared after Black Manta did, but before they decided to reveal Black Manta was black.

quote:

but more importantly how many of them have electricity powers?
Asked and answered in 2015 and 2016!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
Anyone know how baseball is holding up in DC or Marvel? Do they still play? Are mutants banned, or do they have their own league? How many teams would have to be added with all the new massive cities?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Baseball is an X-Men tradition

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Roth posted:

Baseball is an X-Men tradition

I'd buy a trade that's just all X-Men baseball stuff. Don't even put in the rest of the pages from the issues, just baseball. Make me one of dates and going out on the town too.

Yknow what, just make me an X-Men book that has no fighting or real mutant stuff (AKA only the good poo poo)

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Speaking about sports in comics, is every single team in Gotham named Knights?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Madkal posted:

Speaking about sports in comics, is every single team in Gotham named Knights?

According to a random wiki that I have no idea how reputable it is:

quote:

Gotham has a wide variety of sports teams; like their baseball teams, the Gotham Knights and the Gotham Griffins, their basketball team, the Gotham Guardsmen, their football team the Gotham Wildcats and their ice hockey team, the Gotham Blades. The Gotham Knights baseball team colors are black and gold like the Knights football team. The Griffins team colors are dark green and white. In The Dark Knight Rises directed by Christopher Nolan, several Pittsburgh Steelers players portray the fictional Gotham City football team, the Gotham Rogues. In The Batman, there is a different, or possibly an additional, basketball team called the Gotham Gators.

Also there was an issue of some X-related miniseries - I want to say The Brotherhood but I'm not 100% certain - that focused on a baseball player who was a mutant and had hidden his mutant powers for years and never once used them in a game but when he was found out he was banned for life or some poo poo

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Low Desert Punk posted:

Anyone know how baseball is holding up in DC or Marvel? Do they still play? Are mutants banned, or do they have their own league? How many teams would have to be added with all the new massive cities?

I recall an issue of Ostrander/Yale's Manhunter where he caught Captain Cold by knowing that Cold was a huge Cubs fan and would always come to see them when they were in town.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
What was the Gotham basketball team called in that recent 'Tec arc where Batwing, Batwoman and Azrael had floor seats? (Even though Jean-Paul was the only one actually watching the game)

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I think both Bullseye and Boomerang were at one point pro baseball players, this might be wrong but I think Sunspot was aiming for a career playing soccer before his powers manifested (or maybe he just really liked it?) and I don't know about you but I feel like NFL Superpro is due for a comeback.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Archyduke posted:

I think both Bullseye and Boomerang were at one point pro baseball players, this might be wrong but I think Sunspot was aiming for a career playing soccer before his powers manifested (or maybe he just really liked it?) and I don't know about you but I feel like NFL Superpro is due for a comeback.

Is Bullseye's origin confirmed? Last I remember that was one of several possible pasts but no one really knew who he was.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

According to a random wiki that I have no idea how reputable it is:

Also there was an issue of some X-related miniseries - I want to say The Brotherhood but I'm not 100% certain - that focused on a baseball player who was a mutant and had hidden his mutant powers for years and never once used them in a game but when he was found out he was banned for life or some poo poo

They also have a baseball team called the Black Sox.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Archyduke posted:

I think Bullseye just pretended to be one for a little while for a hit job.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

That was a retcon. Originally Bullseye was a pro baseball player, then someone decided that was kinda silly and they dropped it, then they published a one-shot about him becoming a pro player for a hit job to "make the legend real".

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Let me guess, he throws a baseball through a guy's head at some point, right? I just figure something abhorrent must happen in a Bullseye comic. gently caress I hate Bullseye.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Yeah, the story goes that he got really bored when he was about to beat a world record of no-hitters and just killed the batter, and that's how his criminal career began.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Why couldnt he have been more like Doc Ellis

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

hadji murad posted:

Why couldnt he have been more like Doc Ellis

He's a lot like Dock Ellis!

quote:

Cincinnati will bullshit with us and kick our rear end and laugh at us. They're the only team that talk about us like a dog. Whenever we play that team, everybody socializes with them. When they ran over to us, we knew they were afraid of us. When I saw our team doing it, right then I say, 'We gonna get down. We gonna do the do. I'm going to hit these motherfuckers.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I woke up this morning with a vivid recollection of an early Power Pack issue about a Ty Cobb-type who tries to blow up a baseball game in order to prevent his record from being broken. The Ty Cobb guy's name is Batman Bates, a fact which I guess had been lying dormant in my brain for 25 years. So at the very least several people are willing to commit mass murder for the love of the game-- maybe Bullseye was just a product of Marvel's homicidal baseball culture.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Does every big Bullseye appearance somehow end with him getting even more crippled than he was before? Daredevil drops him off a roof and he's paralysed; he gets better but then gets even more paralysed (by nanobots or something) in post-Civil War Thunderbolts; he gets better then gets paralysed again and also deaf and mute and stuck in an iron lung by the time he's in the Mark Waid Daredevil; and at the end of that he gets dropped in some kind of sludge and I think he comes out of it blind as well. He's like Marvel's inverse Joker.

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Wheat Loaf posted:

Does every big Bullseye appearance somehow end with him getting even more crippled than he was before? Daredevil drops him off a roof and he's paralysed; he gets better but then gets even more paralysed (by nanobots or something) in post-Civil War Thunderbolts; he gets better then gets paralysed again and also deaf and mute and stuck in an iron lung by the time he's in the Mark Waid Daredevil; and at the end of that he gets dropped in some kind of sludge and I think he comes out of it blind as well. He's like Marvel's inverse Joker.

Or Baxter Stockman.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Archyduke posted:

I woke up this morning with a vivid recollection of an early Power Pack issue about a Ty Cobb-type who tries to blow up a baseball game in order to prevent his record from being broken. The Ty Cobb guy's name is Batman Bates, a fact which I guess had been lying dormant in my brain for 25 years. So at the very least several people are willing to commit mass murder for the love of the game-- maybe Bullseye was just a product of Marvel's homicidal baseball culture.

I pictured Christian Bale as Batman Bates.

I think Bullseye was originally in Nam, and threw his gun to stab someone with the bayonet.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

This is shockingly nuanced for most X-Comics. Especially if his mutant power wasn't even useful for baseball.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
What was the fallout of the old DCU/New 52 crossover event from a while ago? How many characters that I grew up with have returned?

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
What, you mean Rebirth? It wasn't a crossover or event as much as a relaunch, and the fallout can be summed up as:

• a return to the straightforward if overtaxed numbering system for issues (i.e. Detective Comics back to #934)

• there is no Superman but Superman, and Lois Lane is his prophet wife (not to be confused with Super-Man)

• your favorite heroes and villains who were re-introduced as queer or POC are straight and white again for the most part, just inexplicably returned to their pre-Flashpoint selves unless you're Wally West in which case you can awkwardly share

• Jackson Hyde/Aqualad, Ryan Choi/Atom, Helena Bertenelli/Huntress, and Kent Nelson/Doctor Fate are all back too

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Nessus posted:

This is shockingly nuanced for most X-Comics. Especially if his mutant power wasn't even useful for baseball.

Hey now, X-Men sports games are strictly no powers! Right up until someone uses their powers or someone points out that someone else's powers aren't really on-off.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

Hey now, X-Men sports games are strictly no powers! Right up until someone uses their powers or someone points out that someone else's powers aren't really on-off.
Yeah I mean like, "a mutant gets kicked out of the league even though his mutant power is being able to change his skin color or speak with birds."

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Nessus posted:

Yeah I mean like, "a mutant gets kicked out of the league even though his mutant power is being able to change his skin color or speak with birds."

You could use bird powers to influence a baseball game. They could steal signs for you.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

prefect posted:

You could use bird powers to influence a baseball game. They could steal signs for you.
Or make poo poo on the pitcher but yes that is not the POINT, prefect

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

prefect posted:

Randy Johnson is a Mutant??

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

purple death ray posted:

Randy Johnson is a Mutant??

Or he was just fighting back against them!

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Nessus posted:

If memory serves he could make it look like he was a few feet away from his actual position, which would actually be useful on the base paths.

Also IIRC he looked exactly like Mike Piazza.

....does anyone else remember this story? I seriously don't think anyone else bought this book.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Remember when I was like 9 I saw an advertisement for an X-men book called Muties which was basically one off stories of kids struck with dumb mutant powers. Was that any good?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

I vaguely remember reading my friend-who-still-bought-all-the-X-Men-books-unquestioningly's copies of both of these mini-series. I don't remember much of anything about them, besides thinking that sucked compared to New X-Men and X-Force/Statix.

1) The Brotherhood was hyped around the idea that it was written by X, a pseudonym for a mysterious writer whose identity will BLOW YOUR MIND. I don't think anyone ever confirmed who it was, but most people thought it was Howard Mackie, who had been writing pretty bad X-Men comics prior to The Brotherhood and continued to do so afterwards, but was trying something new to compete with the hipster Morrisons and Milligans and Millars and Ennises and Bendises Marvel was hiring at the time.

2) Muties was Karl Bollers writing exactly what you described, with rotating art for six issues from a bunch of indie guys like Dean Haspiel and Charlie Adlard and other people I'm forgetting. I don't remember much of it at all, and before I looked it up I was mixing it up with Morlocks, another contemporary X-Men mini-series that was part of Geoff Johns's brief stint at Marvel, and was also a book about "regular people" mutants just trying to survive.

Has anyone read these since 2002?

Alvarez IV
Aug 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Edge & Christian posted:

2) Muties was Karl Bollers writing exactly what you described, with rotating art for six issues from a bunch of indie guys like Dean Haspiel and Charlie Adlard and other people I'm forgetting. I don't remember much of it at all, and before I looked it up I was mixing it up with Morlocks, another contemporary X-Men mini-series that was part of Geoff Johns's brief stint at Marvel, and was also a book about "regular people" mutants just trying to survive.

Has anyone read these since 2002?

Muties and Morlocks are both good stuff, some of the last gasps of the X-Men trying to say anything about societal issues before it was decided to take the line's identity away. They both make you feel bad after reading them, but that's kind of the point. I'd call them a more grounded, less in-your-face Marvel Ruins.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
This had to be around the time of District X with Bishop, right? That was an interesting book even if it went off the rails a bit with yet another totally unknown super powerful mutant at the end.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Remember NYX Marvels' other timeframe attempt at telling the mutant story with a bunch of highschool kids getting powers and being homeless. Of course you do because it's what introduced X-23 into the comics in the form of a underage extreme kink prostitute, also vaguely asian. If you never checked in after that it did actually get a follow up in 2010 with the non X23 characters. Kind of a "Ultimate take" on new warriors or felt like it.

Sentinel was good though.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.
Weird question I wanted to ask before but I don't believe I actually got around to it. What's your (for lack of a better term) favourite storylines that are really good and fun except for one stupid detail or error that ruins everything?

I recently reread Batman: Cataclysm (the story of the earthquake that lead into No Man's Land) and I really liked some of the ideas in the Quakemaster storyline. To quickly recap, following the quake, the police get a mysterious videotape of a shadowy villain calling himself Quakemaster, taking credit for the previous quake and threatening another if he doesn't get paid a ransom. Robin eventually deduces that Quakemaster is a new Ventriloquist puppet by analyzing his speech patterns and recognizing that he avoided using any words with the "B" sounds that Wesker is incapable of.

Unfortunately, everything I like about the story is undercut pretty severely by the fact that they definitely hadn't figured out it was going to be Wesker in the Quakemaster's first two appearances.

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
Mark Miller's run on The Authority would be pretty good if not for some particularly grotesque moments of grimdark that makes it legit hard to read. It's always really annoyed me.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TenCentFang posted:

Mark Miller's run on The Authority would be pretty good if not for some particularly grotesque moments of grimdark that makes it legit hard to read. It's always really annoyed me.

Would've been easier to read if Paul Levitz hadn't done everything in his power to ruin it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rhyno posted:

Would've been easier to read if Paul Levitz hadn't done everything in his power to ruin it.

Whaddya mean?