Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes

sebmojo posted:

you need to get to hospital!

GRAB

BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM

HOBBLES OFF ANGRILY

"That will explode. And turn into a door" makes me smile like an idiot every time. :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I have access to the German dub on Netflix. Certainly does the series a great disservice. They managed to make a lot of things sound so goddamn formal and hectic, the Creole is nearly non-existent, Amos got the stereotypical tough guy voice, Fred Johnson sounds like Micky Mouse, and the total amount of swearing has been reduced/lessened.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Madurai posted:

Though S:AaB is also a masterclass in "didn't think it through ahead of time, make it up as we go along." You kind of got the feeling that there was some frantic hand-waving going on in the writers' room.

SAaB gave us Chiggie Von Richthofen and Colonel McQueen and that's a good thing.

MA-Horus fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Sep 16, 2017

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

MA-Horus posted:

SAaB gave us Chiggie Von Richthofen and Colonel McQueen and that's a good thing.

The space fighter was also pretty cool looking.

E: the "fighter pilots are also infantry/special forces for some reason" was pretty :wtc:, even when it first aired.

Error 404 fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Sep 16, 2017

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

I remember space above and beyond as being a bad show.

I also remember space pimp Coolio for some reason

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK
My only memory of SAaB was that the final episode included an "AMF" at the end of the credits, and that was almost (but not quite) cool enough to make me find it and watch it some day

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

ZekeNY posted:

My only memory of SAaB was that the final episode included an "AMF" at the end of the credits, and that was almost (but not quite) cool enough to make me find it and watch it some day

A what?

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Adios, motherfucker

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Error 404 posted:

E: the "fighter pilots are also infantry/special forces for some reason" was pretty :wtc:, even when it first aired.
That's pretty common in TV sci fi.

In Star Trek, Babylon 5 and Battlestar Galactica (original and reboot!), starship bridge crews all moonlight as Seal Team Six for some inexplicable reason.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

tooterfish posted:

In Star Trek, Babylon 5 and Battlestar Galactica (original and reboot!), starship bridge crews all moonlight as Seal Team Six for some inexplicable reason.

B5 isn't quite as bad about that as some of the others. They at least actually had infantry.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

tooterfish posted:

In Star Trek it is kind of the conceit of the show: the main characters have the adventures. Everyone else could literally have their job done by the computer, but it feels dumb to have a gigantic ship with 10 people on it.

In B5 they had actual security/infantry people like Garibaldi to fill those roles. Occasionally the bridge crew would get in a fighter, but since they all came up through the fighter pilot ranks, it didn't feel overly inorganic.

This felt most incongruent in BSG, which made such an effort to show that there were still marines, but all of their best fighter pilots always went with them. I guess their explanation was that all of the officers died or something? It always felt dumb and they should have just promoted some rando to Special Guest Star and had them be the marine commander or whatever.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Enterprise introduced marines halfway through its run, when their exploration mission was suspended for an explicitly military assignment. From what I recall, the marines eventually sort of faded into the background, mostly taking spots on away missions that would usually be filled by unnamed Starfleet security crew. I remember thinking it was an improvement even if the execution was uneven, but it's been a while since I watched the show.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Stargate also had the main characters being fighter pilots and special forces, but I think Airforce Special Forces are that?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare has you as a fighter pilot who becomes an infantry man and battleship commander due to Jon Snow going Super Saiyan on Earth. It's actually a lot of fun if you like seeing a bunch of people die horribly in space in different ways.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

Stargate also had the main characters being fighter pilots and special forces, but I think Airforce Special Forces are that?

I believe they were part of AFSOC Special Tactics group, which does do some ground based stuff covertly in enemy territory, but I think they kind of stretched the mission that group does in the show and treated them more or less like a Seal or Green Beret Team.

But yeah pilots who know shooty guns and special tactics. It is a thing.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

This felt most incongruent in BSG, which made such an effort to show that there were still marines, but all of their best fighter pilots always went with them. I guess their explanation was that all of the officers died or something? It always felt dumb and they should have just promoted some rando to Special Guest Star and had them be the marine commander or whatever.

I've just been rewatching the 2003 BSG. They mention that they still have a few marines but that they don't have a sniper, which is their excuse to throw Starbuck into a small arms combat role. It's crap if you think about it but it's just enough of a nod toward logic to let it slide, if you're already feeling positive about the show. As it develops more I feel more inclined to give them a pass, since they're half-assing their entire civilization and all.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I think BSG had the best excuse for it since there's only like a couple thousand military people left in existence, and at least half the Galactica's crew would be technical people who probably don't have much combat training. Going to have to pick up the slack somehow.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

The BSG Marines always get died in droves so they probably don't have many volunteers.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

3 DONG HORSE posted:

The BSG Marines always get died in droves so they probably don't have many volunteers.

And it's not like the flight officers are actually any good at it, fittingly. Crashdown (the officer played the fake ice truck killer in Dexter) went kinda Col. Kurtz on everyone in early S2, and got friendly-fired for it. Starbuck tried to be a sniper and tended to make problems worse.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Pander posted:

Starbuck... tended to make problems worse.

This was just consistent characterization.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Yep. Starbuck's character was entirely to advance the plot by getting everyone deeper into the poo poo until they got so deep God had to pull them out.

It all clicked for me after the second rewatch. The show is brilliant because it's three and a half seasons of the good guys denying everything that's really happening, despite them being told exactly what's happening, then them realizing "oh, poo poo, wow, that happened" in the last arc.

The ending sucks but that's because it gets a bit heavy with the anvils. If they cut it off before the ending scene in present day Vancouver New York it would be good. If they cut it off before Starbuck vanishes because she's not real or an angel but not an angel like HeadSix and HeadBaltar it would be great.

(Should we still be spoilering BSG? That finale was almost a decade ago.)

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Kazinsal posted:

Yep. Starbuck's character was entirely to advance the plot by getting everyone deeper into the poo poo until they got so deep God had to pull them out.

It all clicked for me after the second rewatch. The show is brilliant because it's three and a half seasons of the good guys denying everything that's really happening, despite them being told exactly what's happening, then them realizing "oh, poo poo, wow, that happened" in the last arc.

The ending sucks but that's because it gets a bit heavy with the anvils. If they cut it off before the ending scene in present day Vancouver New York it would be good. If they cut it off before Starbuck vanishes because she's not real or an angel but not an angel like HeadSix and HeadBaltar it would be great.

(Should we still be spoilering BSG? That finale was almost a decade ago.)

I just tend to pretend the show ends right after that final jump. Seems to be about the best way to handle it.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I stopped watching BSG after the mutiny arc. It really felt, emotionally, the best place to stop. I really loved that show when it was dealing with the practical issues of life in a convoy stumbling across the stars fleeing from a neverending robot horse, the religious stuff really fell flat to me.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
The best ending to BSG is just to ignore the final half season entirely, leaving you with a desolate radioactive wasteland with the cast looking around as Roslyn goes "Earth."

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Much like the rewatch of the Terminator TV series I'm doing in TV/IV, BSG is one of those series where I'm like... What could have been...

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
BSG is awesome, warts and all.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
At least BSG didn't end by landing on the Planet of the Apes... that would have been funny (not).
SAaB : the only thing i remember from this was indeed Chiggie Von Richthoven... was awesome and terryfying.

As for the Expanse, i'm not sure how well people will remember it 20 years from now. I think it's great but I don't think it manages to draw in people who aren't like me (a geek).

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Errrr... that's literally exactly what they did.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Taintrunner posted:

I stopped watching BSG after the mutiny arc. It really felt, emotionally, the best place to stop. I really loved that show when it was dealing with the practical issues of life in a convoy stumbling across the stars fleeing from a neverending robot horse, the religious stuff really fell flat to me.

i would watch that show

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Didn't BSG end with everyone falling into a black hole? I only remember an hour of darkness after that in the finale...

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Ive watched BSG only recently, and I mostly really liked it, even the finale and the religious stuff

What I didnt liked is how the cylons got less interesting and made less sense as the story advanced

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Elias_Maluco posted:

Ive watched BSG only recently, and I mostly really liked it, even the finale and the religious stuff

What I didnt liked is how the cylons got less interesting and made less sense as the story advanced

I think a few cast members, like Jamie Bamber, said similar things about the Cylons as the story went on.

TBQH, my biggest flaw with BSG is how it tries to play both sides of the discrimination debate. On one hand, the Cylons are basically perfect transhumans who pose an existential threat to humanity's survival. On the other hand, when it suits the narrative, they're actually no different to you and me and the only people who dislike them are unreasonable bigots. It sort of got too much into the Iraq War metaphor.

But Seasons 1 and 2 are just grand.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Sep 19, 2017

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Anyone still looking for their BSG fix should absolutely play the free fangame Battlestar Diaspora, which lets you frak toasters and you begin every mission by shooting out the drat launch tube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWt2m1xtJbw

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Let's just all be thankful they didn't end with a Galactica 1980 reboot.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Milky Moor posted:

I think a few cast members, like Jamie Bamber, said similar things about the Cylons as the story went on.

TBQH, my biggest flaw with BSG is how it tries to play both sides of the discrimination debate. On one hand, the Cylons are basically perfect transhumans who pose an existential threat to humanity's survival. On the other hand, when it suits the narrative, they're actually no different to you and me and the only people who dislike them are unreasonable bigots. It sort of got too much into the Iraq War metaphor.

But Seasons 1 and 2 are just grand.

Yeah, mostly they are indistinguible from humans, but with some powers (that they mostly forget to use), but then sometimes they remember they are not humans. Also, they hate humans

And it also makes 0 sense that the original "toaster" cylons broke free from humanity and then made an pact with some syntetic humans from space to make human cylons to enslave them again (that's what I understood about the cylon-humans origin, I might be wrong)

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Elias_Maluco posted:

And it also makes 0 sense that the original "toaster" cylons broke free from humanity and then made an pact with some syntetic humans from space to make human cylons to enslave them again (that's what I understood about the cylon-humans origin, I might be wrong)

I'm not really sure where you're getting that part from.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Madurai posted:

I'm not really sure where you're getting that part from.

Maybe Im misremembering or got it all wrong, and if I did, please explain it to me, because I was never sure I understood it anyway

But didint "the five" were originally humans from that distant forgotten colony who mastered some ressurrection tech and them came to the colonies while the original cylons (the toaster models) were in a armistice with the humans, and made a pact with them to produce the human-cylons (the other 7 models)? And them these human cylons became the masters of the cylons?

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

The original robot Cylons met the alien-human-robot-guys and wanted human-like bodies. So the slavers are technically regular Cylons who have ascended or whatever you wanna call that.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

3 DONG HORSE posted:

The original robot Cylons met the alien-human-robot-guys and wanted human-like bodies. So the slavers are technically regular Cylons who have ascended or whatever you wanna call that.

That's kinda what I said: the "alien-human-robot-guys" were humans who became synthetic after using the "soul upload" machine, whatever it was called (not sure about this one). The toasters (original robot Cylons) then made a pact with them to create human-cylons and these became the masters of the original robot cylons, kinda like the humans were before.

They even dumbed the toasters down so they would not think for themselves or something like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Oh I wasn't trying to disagree with you, I meant to show support in my own awful way. My bad!

• Locked thread