Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Beet Wagon posted:

:3: I have a weird brain problem where any time someone plays Rage Against The Machine I have to drop what I'm doing and listen.

Thank you, commando.

I apologize for interrupting your day's workflow, however I am glad you agree it was worth it.

How's the cleanup effort going, you/yours all doing alright?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

AP posted:

They've sold it since at least June 2013 when their website was updated, we used to make fun of it in a thread about hotdogs.

It would often show "out of stock" but you just had to email them. There's also an old interview with Sandi Gardiner at an event when she mentioned they were considering bringing a more expensive ship package as some people were asking for one.

Did they used to have a less than $15k completionist package, before more ships came out, or is the current package the only one they've had?

If the $15k package was available before January 1, 2015, refund faker totally blew it by not knowing enough about VAT to get his excuse straight. Even before that, he didn't know enough in general to get prices right in the first place. lol

First rule to being a liar: Learn the details

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

peter gabriel posted:

I know we've overdone it a bit but it is so childish and funny

I'm only reading positives here.

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

XK posted:

Ooh, it uses Newton's method for approximation. Thanks for the link, I get it now. Combining all that together, Newton's method, bit-shifting floating point numbers, correcting errors in the manipulations with the magic number, it's really a little piece of magic worthy of a great mathematician.

So will this work on 64 bit?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Dogeh posted:

*waves hands* yes!

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
Guys I'm back from my vacation, is this game out yet

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Toops posted:

I apologize for interrupting your day's workflow, however I am glad you agree it was worth it.

How's the cleanup effort going, you/yours all doing alright?

Cleanup's going pretty well. I spent the last couple days trying to find a chainsaw - any chainsaw - anywhere in the county so I could chunk up my stupid fallen tree. I struck out completely and was getting out the axe and preparing for a bad time when my neighbor's dad came around and asked if we wanted our tree chopped up, so that was awesome. Now I gotta get my grinder out and go dismantle and replace a section of my chainlink fence, but other than that we're pretty good. I think I'm gonna ask if my neighbor across the street needs some help disassembling her porch roof which apparently pancaked down and is resting on her patio furniture. She said this is like the third time it's happened lol. Maybe she was just never meant to have a patio.

Mostly now it's just waiting for all the businesses to reopen/restock. Praise be to all the linemen who came down here and kicked rear end getting us back up and running. My county should be up to 90% power restored by Sunday, which is pretty awesome.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Literally Kermit posted:

Guys I'm back from my vacation, is this game out yet

peter gabriel posted:

*waves hands* yes!

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

peter gabriel posted:

At first I thought Lego games were great then quickly found they were :regd08: and hey, thanks Erin for letting me know why they were so generic.
LEGO Worlds was their first attempt at a new formula and it was hilarious.
They released a few updates on Steam EA, then went radio silent for half a year, then shat out 1.0 where everything good was changed and buggy as gently caress, the free build mode was locked (in a LEGO+Minecraft), and some issues like the camera and the interface remaining hosed.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

SelenicMartian posted:

LEGO Worlds was their first attempt at a new formula and it was hilarious.
They released a few updates on Steam EA, then went radio silent for half a year, then shat out 1.0 where everything good was changed and buggy as gently caress, the free build mode was locked (in a LEGO+Minecraft), and some issues like the camera and the interface remaining hosed.

Yeah I got that for my son and his interest evaporated on release, he just wanted a lego sandbox

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Dogeh posted:

Yes.

x86-64 handles floats pretty much the same way 32 bit x86 did.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Excellent I was getting tired of waiting for Elite's second paid expansion.

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

So, I've been away from the thread for a while, but I have a question. Is CIG's current solution to releasing 3.0 not the antithesis to what they said they've been doing all along? Every shitizen keeps on saying something to the effect of "I don't care if it takes forever, so long as they get everything right. I don't want them to cut features to release, I'd rather they just delay until it's ready. Be patient, I'm a loving idiot, I'm not owned, etc., etc."

Cutting features to push something out is what dirty, filthy publishers force you to do isn't it?

Also, L-O-loving-L at that fake refund. I think the most surprising thing is that it doesn't appear to be anyone from either camp. Someone slipped in here and hoodwinked both sides, which is loving hilarious.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Beet Wagon posted:

Cleanup's going pretty well. I spent the last couple days trying to find a chainsaw - any chainsaw - anywhere in the county so I could chunk up my stupid fallen tree. I struck out completely and was getting out the axe and preparing for a bad time when my neighbor's dad came around and asked if we wanted our tree chopped up, so that was awesome. Now I gotta get my grinder out and go dismantle and replace a section of my chainlink fence, but other than that we're pretty good. I think I'm gonna ask if my neighbor across the street needs some help disassembling her porch roof which apparently pancaked down and is resting on her patio furniture. She said this is like the third time it's happened lol. Maybe she was just never meant to have a patio.

Mostly now it's just waiting for all the businesses to reopen/restock. Praise be to all the linemen who came down here and kicked rear end getting us back up and running. My county should be up to 90% power restored by Sunday, which is pretty awesome.

You youngsters and your chains of technology.
Sharpen that blade and enjoy the bliss of swinging that axe.

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

Natron posted:

So, I've been away from the thread for a while, but I have a question. Is CIG's current solution to releasing 3.0 not the antithesis to what they said they've been doing all along? Every shitizen keeps on saying something to the effect of "I don't care if it takes forever, so long as they get everything right. I don't want them to cut features to release, I'd rather they just delay until it's ready. Be patient, I'm a loving idiot, I'm not owned, etc., etc."

Cutting features to push something out is what dirty, filthy publishers force you to do isn't it?

Also, L-O-loving-L at that fake refund. I think the most surprising thing is that it doesn't appear to be anyone from either camp. Someone slipped in here and hoodwinked both sides, which is loving hilarious.

Dark Off posted:

c) everyone suddenly realizes that they screwed up. CIG for stating lie, and fake refunder for damaging CIG more than helping em.
everyone quietly sweeps the whole issue under the rug. The whole thing was just drat big self own by shitizens.

im calling it

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Literally Kermit posted:

Excellent I was getting tired of waiting for Elite's second paid expansion.

Yeah have fun with the nickle and diming from £lite Dangerou$ and that loving HACK Braben

*clips out of $300 chariot*

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Beet Wagon posted:

:3: I have a weird brain problem where any time someone plays Rage Against The Machine I have to drop what I'm doing and listen.

Thank you, commando.

I never liked Zach De La Rocha's yappy singing voice, But Tom Morello and Tim Commerford loving rock. Thus Audioslave was my preferred lineup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDMvN45sjo4

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

Dark Off posted:

im calling it

Yep.
Sums it up nicely.
Excellent self-ownershipness

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Lladre posted:

You youngsters and your chains of technology.
Sharpen that blade and enjoy the bliss of swinging that axe.

Well my tree's already chunked, but I could go try and take down the chainlink fence with the axe lol. Seeing all that wood piled on the side of the road does make me miss living in a place where fireplaces were common though.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Dogeh posted:

Yep.
Sums it up nicely.
Excellent self-ownershipness

Does the self-ownership have LTI? Is it in stock?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

big nipples big life posted:

Yes but no take backsies on them

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Natron posted:

They are going for the more realistic "at least try to get something right".

This is either the bargaining or the acceptance stage of the alpha-3.0 grief.
Probably the former, because that means more fun is in store for the rest of the year.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

XK posted:

Did they used to have a less than $15k completionist package, before more ships came out, or is the current package the only one they've had?

If the $15k package was available before January 1, 2015, refund faker totally blew it by not knowing enough about VAT to get his excuse straight. Even before that, he didn't know enough in general to get prices right in the first place. lol

First rule to being a liar: Learn the details

They've had a $15k completionist package for ages, there were a lot of other cheaper ones. It's really complicated.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

big nipples big life posted:

Self-owns are forever, and thus come standard with LTI. They do however have several CCU options, including Rolling With The Punches and Puppetmaster.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

XK posted:

Yes.

x86-64 handles floats pretty much the same way 32 bit x86 did.

Yeah, but wouldn't the magic number there need to be different on a 64-bit float?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Beet Wagon posted:

Self-owns are forever, and thus come standard with LTI. They do however have several CCU options, including Rolling With The Punches and Puppetmaster.

Are you going to fight the accusations that you are a lax reddit moderator, or step down from the post in light of the recent allegations against you?

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Beet Wagon posted:

Well my tree's already chunked, but I could go try and take down the chainlink fence with the axe lol. Seeing all that wood piled on the side of the road does make me miss living in a place where fireplaces were common though.

that stuff may be ok for an outside pit, but soft wood is terrible to burn in your house

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Beet Wagon posted:

Make yourself a solid BBQ from bricks and use it to occasionally live out your inner pyromania. I mean you can also grill stuff on it... From time to time.

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

Beet Wagon posted:

As long as it comes with a Ramp Weapon for extreme self ownershipness

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Foo Diddley posted:

Yeah, but wouldn't the magic number there need to be different on a 64-bit float?

Both architectures use 32, 64, and 80 bit floats. That code uses 32 bit floats, and would be the same anyway.

It's irrelevant since SSE was introduced in 1999. It can now be done faster directly via hardware support.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Colostomy Bag posted:

Are you going to fight the accusations that you are a lax reddit moderator, or step down from the post in light of the recent allegations against you?

Yes.

Lladre posted:

that stuff may be ok for an outside pit, but soft wood is terrible to burn in your house

Lol your post made me realize I wasn't 100% sure what kind of tree it even was, so I've been sitting here comparing leaves to identification guides and then looking up "firewood properties" on the internet like the sperg I am. Good to know everything's back to normal. In any case I think you're right - I'm pretty sure it's a sweetgum tree so it'll be a smokey mess if I burn it, at least at first. Also, there's multiple websites devoted to educating people about the burning qualities of different trees and that's super neat. I think Combat Theory has the right of it - if I want to save any of it I should just build a firepit.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Beet Wagon posted:

Good to hear man. I'm so glad Irma got tired and shagged out at the end there. Lift with your legs, you don't wanna wind up :negative:

That Irma GBS thread sure was a weird, wild ride.

Anyways, ehm, so anyone know when Star Citizen is coming out and whether it will be p2w?

ELE cat taxxe:

Toops fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Sep 16, 2017

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

If there ever was a Freelancer-style coup and Chris was kicked off the project I genuinely would consider getting back in. Not that such a thing is possible, but it really is clear from top to bottom that Chris Roberts is the exclusive reason that this project is so hosed.

I know the Microsoft execs who were instrumental in that. Sadly, with Croberts at the top, only investors or a band of lead devs can wield enough power to get him out of the way. Not gonna happen. He's going down with the ship, taking all backer money with him.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Beet Wagon posted:

Twerk seems really close to breaking. I wonder which way that will go, because he'd never admit we're right, so he doesn't really have a lot of angles.

I feel like a lot of remaining Citizens are this way and the only thing that keeps them from going full "gently caress CIG" is that the only thing worse, in their minds, than losing hundreds of dollars and several years on a blatant scam would be admitting that they wrong after being so thoroughly mocked for it.

I kind of feel like the real refund cascade will begin as soon as there's some narrative that allows people to bail on CIG without ever using the phrase "Derek Smart Was Right." Like, it turns out Chris Roberts is banging underage prostitutes in Nicaragua or something- some random but completely disconnected moral failure that they can point at and go "THAT'S why I'm getting out. All that stuff Derek said was still bullshit, I was still 100% right, but I can't support that kind of (totally un-leaked never could have seen it coming) behavior." I also think this is why CIG tries to cast the big refund stories as more Derek FUD spreading while basically ignoring the daily CIG-hosed-up-again narrative- people have already excused anything stupid they could possibly do, but the only way to shield from real bad news is to make it look like it's coming from "The Enemy" who, as we all know, is always wrong about everything but also ten times more cunning than CIG and constantly plotting their downfall.

Sarsapariller fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Sep 16, 2017

XK
Jul 9, 2001

64 bit processors sort of default to 32 bit when running legacy code.

It is encoded in the asm itself. Register A might be 64 bits on the hardware, but if you refer to it as AL, you get the low 8 bits. AH gets you the high 8 bits of the 16 bit AX register. The AX register is the low 16 bits of the 32 bit EAX register. The EAX register is the low 32 bits of the 64 bit RAX register. The RAX register is the full 64 bit register. Then the different ops have different encoding depending on what data size you are working with.

The floating point registers operate similarly, and can be addressed as 32, 64, or 80 bit registers.

Long story short, the CPU knows what data is being used in what way, and handles it as transparently as possible. This is why 64 bit CPUs can run legacy 32 bit code natively.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Sarsapariller posted:

I feel like a lot of remaining Citizens are this way and the only thing that keeps them from going full "gently caress CIG" is that the only thing worse, in their minds, than losing hundreds of dollars and several years on a blatant scam would be admitting that they wrong after being so thoroughly mocked for it.

I kind of feel like the real refund cascade will begin as soon as there's some narrative that allows people to bail on CIG without ever using the phrase "Derek Smart Was Right." Like, it turns out Chris Roberts is banging underage prostitutes in Nicaragua or something- some random but completely disconnected moral failure that they can point at and go "THAT'S why I'm getting out. All that stuff Derek said was still bullshit, I was still 100% right, but I can't support that kind of (totally un-leaked never could have seen it coming) behavior."

Maybe Derek, Goons, et al can offer the last bastion of citizens an Official Grace Period™ where they're welcome to hop on over to SA, tell us their backers stories, and get a personal guarantee that they will not be mocked/ridiculed, but are free to join us on the mocking/ridiculing immediately on arrival. I know it goes against the DNS of SA to even suggest this, but I think something along these lines would do a lot of good.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Scruffpuff posted:

get a personal guarantee that they will not be mocked/ridiculed

We might as well try and guarantee that we can get 3.0 out last December lol.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Sarsapariller posted:

I kind of feel like the real refund cascade will begin as soon as there's some narrative that allows people to bail on CIG without ever using the phrase "Derek Smart Was Right." Like, it turns out Chris Roberts is banging underage prostitutes in Nicaragua or something- some random but completely disconnected moral failure that they can point at and go "THAT'S why I'm getting out. All that stuff Derek said was still bullshit, I was still 100% right, but I can't support that kind of (totally un-leaked never could have seen it coming) behavior." I also think this is why CIG tries to cast the big refund stories as more Derek FUD spreading while basically ignoring the daily CIG-hosed-up-again narrative- people have already excused anything stupid they could possibly do, but the only way to shield from real bad news is to make it look like it's coming from "The Enemy" who, as we all know, is always wrong about everything but also ten times more cunning than CIG and constantly plotting their downfall.

We need Derek to start saying Star Citizen is actually good and he was thinking of a different game all along

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

BeigeJacket posted:

So Erin 'The competent one of the Brothers' Roberts hot take on bug-fixing and dev is 'Why don't we try fixing things one at a time?'

Heady stuff.

It's not that simple.

But it also plays into Chris's recent statements about early access. So if they're just going to ignore/hide bugs, cut stuff, then release what they have, that basically moves toward that EA goal. Though I don't see how it makes the project any less early access or not, because even in EA, you still have to decide what builds to release and which not to. e.g. the last patch I released for LoD was back in March; and I haven't released another build since then because quite a few blockers are pending as part of the major (vehicles) change that we did, as well as the UE4 parallel porting effort.

But that's the thing with early access, you're not entitled to anything because all you're doing is paying to access the game in dev, base on what the devs want to release. Star Citizen is different because technically, as I wrote here, it's been in EA since the first hangar module, except that they weren't calling it that. Also, they were the ones building up the expectations of backers - especially having raised $160M while making insurmountable promises with release dates. In EA, they don't need to do any of that. Just do regular updates letting backers know what's going on, then release a build when they think it's ready. It's no different from how internal dev works.

Problem is, they simply cannot wipe away the previous approach to the project by simply announcing that they're in EA, so no more dates, we'll release a build when it's ready etc.

The fact that they're going to now release the builds to backers in stages via Evocati, is loving hilarious to me because I remember back when I indicated that releasing a massive game in a "staggered release" fashion was the best way to do it when dealing with public builds, Shitizens were having a field day attacking me. Oh how soon we forget.

None of this matters because the project is FUBAR anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

peter gabriel posted:

We need Derek to start saying Star Citizen is actually good and he was thinking of a different game all along

:aaaaa: