Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
As a fan of the book I was more than satisfied. A very strong horror movie, and they managed to navigate around at least some of the pitfalls of it being a two-parter. (For example it has a much stronger climax than part one of the miniseries.) Gonna have to reread the novel soon enough (and by "soon" I mean I just started Crime and Punishment so maybe next year but you get the idea.)

I will say I feel like Mike got shortchanged some. Remember him being more of a presence in the book- granted EVERYONE had more focus in the book because page count, but still.

On a vaguely related note, (book spoilers) no Rodan cameo! C'mon, Warner Bros., you're involved in the whole Monsterverse thing you could easily have swung this with Toho. Loved that bit in the book.

I liked the detail of Pennywise's eyes moving independently- overall I think they pulled him off surprisingly well. Like, compared to when the book came out, or even the miniseries, "scary clown" isn't that fresh an idea so they couldn't have done the full gaudy Bozo outfit and made it have the same impact as when Tim Curry did it, but it's a good design and it never felt like they were leaning too hard on that iconography. (Sure by the time of the book there were already scary clowns in media and you'd already had the John Wayne Gacy story break, but it's even more of a familiar horror thing now thanks in part to the book, etc.)

A couple of the comedy notes didn't quite work- the rock-throwing battle had more of a "Lord of the Flies" quality in the book, showing how brutal kids can be, while here it's played more for comedy, and the 80s cleanup montage is a weird joke. That said, the bit with the New Kids poster, brilliant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
As someone who hasn't read /seen the original, I'm just wondering how It is supposed to be scary in the second part when it's already been defeated once by a bunch of unprepared kids who have overcome their fear of him. I suppose adults could have a different set of fears, but the 'Chapter 1' honestly felt weird.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Renoistic posted:

As someone who hasn't read /seen the original, I'm just wondering how It is supposed to be scary in the second part when it's already been defeated once by a bunch of unprepared kids who have overcome their fear of him. I suppose adults could have a different set of fears, but the 'Chapter 1' honestly felt weird.

They all grow up, but being back in Derry dealing with something they thought was done with fucks them up. Some are convinced through therapy that it never happened and deny it, some have turned to substance abuse to cope, some are so deeply depressed that they have to go back that they would rather take their own life. Pennywise is arguably more dangerous during the second part, because of two things: these kids aren't around to immediately stop him after a few missing kids, he can can get stronger; also, he now has particular people he knows fairly well, has damaged, and really, really loving hates in particular.

PoopinClumpin
Jul 4, 2006

thecluckmeme posted:

Some are convinced through therapy that it never happened and deny it, some have turned to substance abuse to cope, some are so deeply depressed that they have to go back that they would rather take their own life.

I was under the impression from the book that Pennywise was still in some way affecting them to the point that most had no actual complete memory of the childhood events. Am I imagining this?

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

I think John Wayne Gacy is scarier than a "badass" looking demon clown made of cgi but ymmv.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

PoopinClumpin posted:

I was under the impression from the book that Pennywise was still in some way affecting them to the point that most had no actual complete memory of the childhood events. Am I imagining this?

I've never read the book, but I think that's the work of The Turtle and not Pennywise. Turtle was masking their traumatic pasts so they could live normal(ish) lives after dealing with Pennywise the first time. But when It revives, the memories are restored so they remember enough to deal with It for the last time. After that, The Turtle sets their memories to 'what you'd remember of your childhood friends if you never talked to them after you were twelve', which is basically bupkiss.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Renoistic posted:

A big part of it in the book is that the stories run concurrently. It doesn't wrap up the kids section then retell the adult's portion, so theres a lot more tension in the book in general as it builds up to the climax in both time periods. Why its still scary as adults though is also just because a big part of the story in the book is how kids use their imagination against IT, so while IT can show up as a warewolf to them, they believe in the power of silver to gently caress up a warewolf so it hurts IT. They turn IT's power against itself. There is a point made throughout that adults don't have that power of imagination kids do, adults don't believe in santa, the tooth fairy, or silver bullets so they're doubtful if that power or magic can even work for them anymore. As kids they could see something insane like a shape shifting clown monster, be freaked out, but put it aside and go back to school on monday, where as adults they basically couldn't accept what they were seeing (hence why one kills themselves right away when they remember).

While adults however, right off the bat one of them is dead because they couldn't face the memories of it so they are no longer the full circle of friends and theres a lot made of the power of them as a group together and not separated. They also don't really remember any of what they did as children, and until they are finally at the end with IT's real form, they can't even remember how they fought it at all.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Renoistic posted:

The two stories also intertwine with one another as well rather than being a clean 'here's the child part' and 'here's the adult part'. But as noted, they grow up to be a largely hosed up group of adults who have a shared trauma. Also, I think some of the better scares come in adult section.

I liked the movie a whole lot except the weird sidelining of Mike (If the plan is to make him the town historian in the second movie anyway, then just don't bother changing it) and the fact that too often Pennywise moves like one of those ghosts from THE HOUSE ON HAUNTED HILL remake.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

MisterBibs posted:

After that, The Turtle sets their memories.

Christ.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Thanks for the explanation everyone. I watched the first fifteen minutes or so of the original on YT and I enjoyed the intertwined structure a lot. I just wish the adult sections were better acted...

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Saw the movie, really loved it. A friend of mine described it as "Goonies with gore", and I think that's a pretty spot on description. I'm usually an easy mark for horror movies and while I was startled several times by Pennywise, I wasn't really that scared. Unsettled would probably be more accurate.

I thought the Skarsgård did an amazing job with Pennywise and the movie looked amazing throughout. The kid actors were really good, and overall what complaints I might have are very small matters. I really wish they'll put out an extended edition on Blu-ray, because I want more!

My favourite things in the movie were probably the headless burned kid in the library, because the jerky way it was moving and the way its hands were twisted into these weird claws looked so loving disturbing and the projector scene.

I dunno, I basically thought IT was like the perfect mix of 80s teen horror and comedy. Of course being a 38 year old I'm the target for that type of stuff, which is probably why I also loved Stranger Things.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Moreover, Pennywise is anti-bullying: when the lanky teen goes into the sewers in search of the kids, the filmmakers very deliberately mislead us, making it look like the kids are lurking in the dark ready to ambush him. Lanky teen is then attacked by monstrous children and 'dies', and then we cut to the kids escaping on their bikes.

Did the kids just kill the bully? Probably not, given their characterization at this point of the film

Hah, totally didn't make that connection! That's great. It kinda makes sense under the lens of an adult trying to understand a child's ramblings that you were talking about. "And then the bully chased is into the sewer and he saw us in there but it wasn't really us! It was horrible monster versions of us! and then I dunno it was all pretty confusing but I guess we never saw him again"

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Tom Guycot posted:

A big part of it in the book is that the stories run concurrently. It doesn't wrap up the kids section then retell the adult's portion, so theres a lot more tension in the book in general as it builds up to the climax in both time periods. Why its still scary as adults though is also just because a big part of the story in the book is how kids use their imagination against IT, so while IT can show up as a warewolf to them, they believe in the power of silver to gently caress up a warewolf so it hurts IT. They turn IT's power against itself. There is a point made throughout that adults don't have that power of imagination kids do, adults don't believe in santa, the tooth fairy, or silver bullets so they're doubtful if that power or magic can even work for them anymore. As kids they could see something insane like a shape shifting clown monster, be freaked out, but put it aside and go back to school on monday, where as adults they basically couldn't accept what they were seeing (hence why one kills themselves right away when they remember).

While adults however, right off the bat one of them is dead because they couldn't face the memories of it so they are no longer the full circle of friends and theres a lot made of the power of them as a group together and not separated. They also don't really remember any of what they did as children, and until they are finally at the end with IT's real form, they can't even remember how they fought it at all.

That's something I always loved about the novel, the way none of the adults really remember much until they get the phone call, and then they each have a specific flashback.

Once they're back in town I seem to remember some of them wandering around and getting half nostalgic about some areas but then something weird happens to remind them IT is still around. The one that comes to mind is Beverly going to her old apartment. It's cheesy in the TV movie but I remember it being pretty creepy in the book.

Also the scars on their hands from the blood oath return and become more prominent as the the trip back to Derry happens and then on through to the end. I think Audra notices Bill's scar and is confused because it wasn't there before.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

joylessdivision posted:

That's something I always loved about the novel, the way none of the adults really remember much until they get the phone call, and then they each have a specific flashback.

One of my favorite tiny moments of the book was when they enter the door to IT's chamber and finally remember at last everything that happened at the end as children. At which point Bill thinks "No wonder Stan killed himself, god I wish I had too." That always gave me chills.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

joylessdivision posted:

Once they're back in town I seem to remember some of them wandering around and getting half nostalgic about some areas but then something weird happens to remind them IT is still around. The one that comes to mind is Beverly going to her old apartment. It's cheesy in the TV movie but I remember it being pretty creepy in the book.

Also the scars on their hands from the blood oath return and become more prominent as the the trip back to Derry happens and then on through to the end. I think Audra notices Bill's scar and is confused because it wasn't there before.

Yeah, the book is a gradual reveal of the past as the adults learn 1/3 or so through. And all their scars come back as well.

Everyone gets a call, gets a specific memory and gradually gets more, especially as they all take their solo journeys around the town.

Also, every solo journey around the town results in a specific moment with IT EXCEPT for Bill who gets his bike back to be used in the epilogue. It's implied that The White/Gan was behind that. And those moments are generally better than the child moments, and more extended. For instance, since this will no doubt be changed, I'm not spoiling - Richie just runs from and dodges the Paul Bunyon statue in the book. In the movie the statue keeps changing and talking to him *and* he has to play it safe in interacting because nobody else can see it but a baby.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Eh, it's not the Turtle, it's Gan/The White/What is Beyond the Turtle.

And my implication from the book was that, outside of it being all about childhood memories and imagination and etc. in general as far as the meaning goes, the entire town of Derry was warped by IT's presence there, which created all kinds of side effects. By encountering IT, they all became childless and rich/successful, but by moving outside of the source of the magic, they lost memories as to why until the one person who stayed reawakened them. That's why wandering around Derry more and more restored them. Then, once IT was defeated, they gradually lost them again because the magic in the town was gone. IT IS Derry, so once they destroyed the magic of the town, the association with it/memories began to fade.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Renoistic posted:

This is what kind of bugs me about how they changed things in the final confrontation; in the novel, the kids don't conquer their fear of It, they just persevere despite their absolute terror. And they defeat It with conviction in make-belief weapons and methods. If you take that out, the adult confrontation loses most or all of its tension.

Der Shovel posted:

My favourite things in the movie were probably the headless burned kid in the library, because the jerky way it was moving and the way its hands were twisted into these weird claws looked so loving disturbing

I think that's a real thing too, something about the muscles contracting when people burn.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Given the decisions they made with the kid section, I think part 2 will have to be pretty drastically different from the book to get a good movie out of it.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
oh poo poo, I hope they get the cute diner dude in stranger things to play adult ben

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

davidspackage posted:

This is what kind of bugs me about how they changed things in the final confrontation; in the novel, the kids don't conquer their fear of It, they just persevere despite their absolute terror. And they defeat It with conviction in make-belief weapons and methods. If you take that out, the adult confrontation loses most or all of its tension.

I think that's a real thing too, something about the muscles contracting when people burn.

Doesn't Bill blow Pennywise's head open with the bolt thrower despite it being out of gas? I'm assuming at some point one of them will remember that in the sequel and they'll figure out the rest.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

THE "IT" CINEMATIC UNIVERSE CORRECT VIEWING ORDER
  • It
  • It Follows
  • It Comes At Night
  • Bring It On
  • It's Complicated
  • Just Go With It
  • Bring It On 2

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

THE "IT" CINEMATIC UNIVERSE CORRECT VIEWING ORDER
  • It
  • It Follows
  • It Comes At Night
  • Bring It On
  • It's Complicated
  • Just Go With It
  • Bring It On 2

She's Gotta Have IT

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Look forward to see what will be in the DC. 15 additional minutes isn't just minor changes. Patrick's death seemed sort of neutered in the final film (If they kept the book death it would've had the cinema squirming) so I wonder if there will be more to that.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
My favorite clown appearance, apart form the projector and lady painting, is actually the one in the library. I just loved the delivery of "HEY, EGG BOY!!! ".

Pennywise gave me serious Freddie Krueger vibes throughout.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Sep 16, 2017

GoingPostal
Jun 1, 2015

I love Derek Smart
U love Derek Smart
If we didn't love Derek Smart, we'd be lame
Yeah. I think all of the film original scares were remarkably effective.

The lady painting wins as the most messed up, imo, especially when she goes all Alien and half her head slides back. Poor Stan. Gets his face chewed on *and* sees the deadlights to boot.

I was honestly surprised to see the headless boy, even after page after page after page of nothing but the kid's head in the tree. I may or may not have grinned and elbowed my husband when I saw that first scorched Easter egg, though.

I was kind of confused, though. Were the burned hands trying to claw through the door supposed to be Mike's parents trying to get to him as they burned or The Black Spot fire? Or did the two become conflated in Mike's mind?

Punch Drunk Drewsky
Jul 22, 2008

No one can stop the movies.

GoingPostal posted:

I was kind of confused, though. Were the burned hands trying to claw through the door supposed to be Mike's parents trying to get to him as they burned or The Black Spot fire? Or did the two become conflated in Mike's mind?

My read on that is he's compressing the two. There's the personal pain of how his parents burned to death is too much to bear, so there's a similar event he's able to partially substitute so he doesn't have to deal with that directly. It then makes it impossible for him to avoid dealing with his parent's death when he's confronted by Henry later since Henry says he wishes he was the one who started the fire. They all tie in with rural USA terrorism of burning black homes/churches and so on.

Jagermonster
May 7, 2005

Hey - NIZE HAT!

GoingPostal posted:

Yeah. I think all of the film original scares were remarkably effective.

The lady painting wins as the most messed up, imo, especially when she goes all Alien and half her head slides back. Poor Stan. Gets his face chewed on *and* sees the deadlights to boot.

Lady painting wins with me too since it was so relatable - adults/parents always have weird poo poo that they think nothing of but freaks the gently caress out of kids. I remember my brother and I were both afraid of a weirdly ornate mirror my mom had, and looking back, I don't even really remember why. I guess it just seemed like something Bloody Mary would come out of? I don't know. Speaking of which, this loving clickhole article really dredges up that old fear: http://www.clickhole.com/search?tags=pale-boy

also, re: Mike's parents - was that old house with the well that went to It's lair Mike's old house that burned down? I was confused about that part

Jagermonster fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Sep 16, 2017

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

Jagermonster posted:

also, re: Mike's parents - was that old house with the well that went to It's lair Mike's old house that burned down? I was confused about that part

No, but you'll be forgiven for that confusion, as I initially thought the same thing due to Mike's expository line about 'you know that old burned out house on X street' - making me think it was something we've already seen / will see - until they more explicitly showed the house and location again as being the location of the well and not burned, just decrepit.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I have a question about the poem given to Beverly. in the miniseries, Pennywise pretends to be Beverly and fucks with adult Ben, telling him (as Beverly) that she always knew the poem was from Ben and she never asked any of the other kids. In the remake, Beverly doesn't ask Bill, but she drops a clue to see if he recognizes the poem but he doesn't, then the payoff happens later when Ben wakes her from the dead lights trance and she says the poem to Ben and he responds with the next stanza. My question is, how does it go down in the book? Does Beverly ask Bill, or does she know Ben wrote it?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Tom Guycot posted:

while IT can show up as a warewolf to them,

heh heh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yNJ11cW3I8&t=114s

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

invisible or nonexistent, and should be treated as such

ruddiger posted:

I have a question about the poem given to Beverly. in the miniseries, Pennywise pretends to be Beverly and fucks with adult Ben, telling him (as Beverly) that she always knew the poem was from Ben and she never asked any of the other kids. In the remake, Beverly doesn't ask Bill, but she drops a clue to see if he recognizes the poem but he doesn't, then the payoff happens later when Ben wakes her from the dead lights trance and she says the poem to Ben and he responds with the next stanza. My question is, how does it go down in the book? Does Beverly ask Bill, or does she know Ben wrote it?

I'm curious about this too because I kinda want the "kiss me fat boy" scene in the next movie.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
Went into this film with no expectations other than it was yet another pointless remake of an older horror film and was pleasantly surprised.

The modern horror tropes of creepy singing british children in an american film and overrought booming violin strike jumpscare soundtrack didn't fill me with alot of confidence at the start, despite the excellent Georgie scene.

But once the film embedded itself into the characters and town of Derry and went all 'Stand By Me' i was hooked.

I have very scattered but somehat fond memories of the original film and book, having seen / read it probably 20 years ago, even though I barely remember anything about it. I kept expecting it to suddenly switch to the adults having a final showdown with IT following the timeshifts showing the month, and only realised all too late they were going for the sequel hook.

Despite sharing the audible groan from the audience at 'IT Chapter One', on reflection I'm glad it was split and am looking forward to the sequel. I feel it will need to dramatically diverge from the soirce material to feel anything but a rehashing of the first film with adults though.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

ruddiger posted:

From what I remember, the movie is close to the book. Bev is flattered by the note and has a vague idea that Ben is responsible but cannot confirm it. Later on, the Losers' Club gets attacked by the bullies. Ben asks if the bullies hurt Bev's hair, which confirms to her that he was the author. Bev thinks about it a few times, but it never manifests otherwise.

When they are adults, Bev investigates her father's old house and is suddenly reminded of the poem. Shortly thereafter, she is attacked by It posing as an old woman.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Sep 16, 2017

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The old woman scene in the book is seriously amazing.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

CelticPredator posted:

The old woman scene in the book is seriously amazing.

"Oh, he loved his joke, my fadder! This is a joke, miss if you enjoy them: my fadder bore me rather than me mutter. He shat me from his rear end in a top hat! Hee! Hee! Hee!'

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
Just realised what bugged me about the 'Bells of St Clements' so much, despite the obvious horror movie trope of children singing and the weird placement of a very British song. I had just seen the stage adaptation of 1984 a couple of months ago which uses the same song, pehaps even the same recording in a similar creepy atmospheric tone throughout.

Seeing it used again in such a familiar fashion made its use in IT seem like a cheesy appropriation.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
So IT is trending for a 60+million second weekend, all but ensuring an over 300 million domestic gross. That's unreal.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Sounds like the movie's...

...hangin' tough.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
You say "cheesy appropriation" like it's a bad thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Just saw it. I was disappointed by the over-reliance on design and special effects for scares. The kids had some good chemistry, but otherwise I thought the human side of the story was underdeveloped all over. Like the bully, who was basically a one-note side character then all of a sudden at the end had some backstory with his dad rushed in for the climax.

• Locked thread