Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
the inspection only cares if your check engine light affects gas mileage, because the big global warming lobbyists got to the DOT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

RCarr posted:

I'm not sure if you're joking or not, but no, the inspection doesn't test if the light stays on.

The inspection tests to see if there are any codes stored in the ECU, so a) they can give you a rejection sticker if it fails, and b) they can tell you why it failed. They don't just go lol your CEL is on gl noob they scan the codes and tell you e.g. your upstream O2 sensor isn't working right or your coolant temperature sensor is failing and needs to be replaced.

Some codes are basically no big deal, fix them when you can, but things like transmission fluid pressure, coolant temperature, things where a dead sensor could lead to major damage to the thing that it's supposed to be monitoring (if the ECU doesn't know how hot the engine is, it may never kick the fans on and your engine will overheat eventually), those are the kinds of things you want to fix ASAP.

If you get a $6 ODB II Bluetooth dongle, most ODB smartphone apps will have an option to look up the codes online and find out more about them. Bought mine when I first started having trouble with my Jeep and it's more than paid for itself with the headaches and trouble it's saved me, being able to fix little things myself.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I understand what the CEL is for. A lot of people just think if you clear the codes and the light turns off, then suddenly you can pass a state inspection, which isn't the case. You actually have to fix the problem that's causing the light to go on. That's all I was saying.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Picnic Princess posted:

It's just so ridiculous because so many other countries have had marriage equality for a long time now, many for over a decade, and it clearly had no negative effect on society at all. Life kept going just like it always had, except a select group of people were treated more like human beings than they were previously and that's nothing but a good thing.

I work in a pretty face to face with the public job. I see people looking through their facebook pages. It's not surprising how many people that are anti equal marriage and are also anti-vaxxers. I've had one person tell me that the government is wasting all this money on this vote, think of all the cancers they could have cured.

I think that there are a lot of younger people that will vote in this so would be surprised if it comes back as no.

There are books written about the disappearances of young gay men all over australia in the 80's that the police practically refused to even bother looking into.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Bertrand Hustle posted:

If you get a $6 ODB II Bluetooth dongle, most ODB smartphone apps will have an option to look up the codes online and find out more about them. Bought mine when I first started having trouble with my Jeep and it's more than paid for itself with the headaches and trouble it's saved me, being able to fix little things myself.

The bluetooth ones don't work with Apple phones, just fyi for anyone rushing off to go buy one.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Noslo posted:

Wait, Aus doesn't have gay marriage?

Are you telling me that for once America isn't last in line regarding social rights compared to other first world countries?

Idk if I should be happy or sad but either way my world view is shattered.

We're ahead of Germany, Ireland, I think France, and a number of other western European countries, too. Even the USA can do something right socially every once in a while.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Cythereal posted:

We're ahead of Germany, Ireland, I think France, and a number of other western European countries, too. Even the USA can do something right socially every once in a while.

I love this dead gay country.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Cythereal posted:

Ireland legalised gay marriage in a referendum two years ago. Still not legal in Northern Ireland but that's Northern Ireland for you.

In France it has been legal since 2013. Still not in Germany as far as I know.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Yeah the funny part about this entire debate is that the 'no' side are claiming that it'll wreck 'traditional' families, ruin children's lives, it's the thin edge of the wedge and next they'll be trying to legalise [insert crazy claim here], it goes against the Bible and religious doctrine, it's going to destroy free speech and religious freedom and so on which are all pretty much the exact same arguments or the exact same types of arguments that were used to try and stop previous equality movements such as voting rights for women, bi-racial marriages, inter-religious marriages, etc etc.. It obviously didn't work then and it won't work now. Even if we don't get same sex marriage passed into law this year it's inevitable that we'll get it when the current government loses power and their opposition gets in.

There's also a ton of 'no' voters bitching and whining that they're being cast as homophobes just for expressing their opinion. Well, we can look back on the people who opposed voting rights for women and obviously judge them as sexists, we can look back on people who opposed bi-racial marriages and judge them as racists, etc etc.. History will judge these guys as homophobes in just the same way regardless of whatever justification they think they have to oppose equal rights.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

:drat:

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

They got a lot of mileage out of calling Suffragettes ugly

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

JOHN SKELETON posted:

Death of the Sun is a pretty hardcore spell.

I've never played D&D and I don't know how to but that sounds like a good motivation for kicking an endboss' rear end.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
You encounter forest boar. Forest boar is enraged!

What do you do?

I cast DEATH OF THE SUN

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

Ireland legalised gay marriage in a referendum two years ago. Still not legal in Northern Ireland but that's Northern Ireland for you.

Passed this year in Germany.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Wheat Loaf posted:

Germany actually just passed it about three months ago, it's planned to go into effect this November. It was really kind of frustrating, because there'd been a majority in favour of it both among the populace and the parliament for years now. But the CDU (Merkel's party) had blocked it as part of their coalition agreement with the SPD. In the run-up to this year's federal elections several parties were starting to make noises about making it a mandatory requirement for any coalition they'd enter. Merkel indicated that maybe blocking it wasn't the most important thing in the world any more, probably hoping to remove it as a wedge issue during the actual election. The SPD finally got their heads out of their asses, put it to a vote, and the whole thing was passed in a matter of days. It's great that it finally passed, but goddamn we could have managed that years or maybe even a decade ago. There are still some people making noise about suing and taking it up to the supreme court, but that's looking extremely unlikely to actually get anywhere.

Anyhow, picture:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Zzulu posted:

What do you do?

I cast DEATH OF THE SUN

That oughta do it!

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

https://twitter.com/i/moments/908813923956146176

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Perestroika posted:

Anyhow, picture:

Oldie but a goodie.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Zzulu posted:

What do you do?

I cast DEATH OF THE SUN

Missed opportunity to use Charm of the Cods to fish-distract the bear while you get the material components for Primal Prayer Bear.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Yeah the funny part about this entire debate is that the 'no' side are claiming that it'll destroy free speech

How on Earth would that even work?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Karate Bastard posted:

How on Earth would that even work?

:ssh: They're grasping at straws

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Memento posted:

Neural network Dungeons and Dragons spells.

https://twitter.com/JanelleCShane/status/908768999500066818

I'm Remorse?

Greater Flick is definitely a Bigby spell.

Ward of Snade the Pood Beast. I imagine this ward, when triggered, summons a a creature created by Dr Seuss.

Maine Storm summons a storm from another multiverse. What happens next depends on dice rolls. Maybe a magic gunslinger will appear and shoot the most evil thing he sees. Maybe the area will be covered in a monster-filled mist. Maybe a van will appear out of nowhere and run someone over.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I cast Mind Blark.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Guy Goodbody posted:

Whiskey enemas are still okay, right?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I've been casting Fark Mate for years.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Inescapable Duck posted:

I've been casting Fark Mate for years.

Same but shield of farts

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Huh, thought France and Ireland were both in that area of civil unions being legal but not actual marriage. Good to know.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

These fuckers are surprisingly self-aware though. "We can't give them the right to vote, or else they might consider restricting our right to vote and we got here first!"

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

RyokoTK posted:

These fuckers are surprisingly self-aware though. "We can't give them the right to vote, or else they might consider restricting our right to vote and we got here first!"

No, no you see women are irrational and impulsive. Its completely different from a logical and reasonable man.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
On the subject of the gay marriage vote, this is kinda nice:

https://twitter.com/billshortenmp/status/908477431425622016

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

RyokoTK posted:

One argument cited by members of the British Liberal Party not to introduce female suffrage (eventually introduced by the wartime coalition government headed by a Liberal prime minister) was that women would just vote for the Conservatives (they did). :v:

Cythereal posted:

Huh, thought France and Ireland were both in that area of civil unions being legal but not actual marriage. Good to know.

Ireland has it on arguably a stronger legal basis than many western countries because it involved changing the constitution which can only be done by popular referendum, so I think that makes it one of relatively few countries in Europe where the majority (around 67%) directly cast a positive vote in favour of it rather than voting for the government to introduce it.

There was a good bit of schadenfreude seeing all the plastic paddies in America on the social media bemoaning "holy Catholic Ireland" selling out. Kind of crooks who sent money to the IRA back in the 80s then stopped after 9/11 when they realised terrorism was actually bad, the lot of them. Exhibit A: Peter King.

Wheat Loaf has a new favorite as of 17:19 on Sep 16, 2017

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

davidspackage posted:

On the subject of the gay marriage vote, this is kinda nice:

https://twitter.com/billshortenmp/status/908477431425622016

I came for the unironic 'accidently called my son poofter" a bunch.

Stayed for the unironic tender sentiments.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Guy Goodbody posted:

That's temperance, not suffrage!!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I got the impression gay marriage is coming out pretty unevenly depending on not only the political climate but the structure of the laws in each country involved; eg, whether it's a court decision, something a party in power can pass, bipartisan or what.

OutsideAngel
May 4, 2008

Inescapable Duck posted:

gay marriage is coming out

Let's not pretend this wasn't intentional.

But yeah the U.S. is kind of an interesting case, we had to go through a lot of weird legal hoops, and in a lot of ways we got marriage equality because of the existence of laws that tried to secure the opposite. (Which is pretty loving American, we're still contrarian even when we stumble onto the moral high ground.)

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The government here in Australia could push the change through in a couple of days with minimal effort if they wanted, they'd just have to vote to change the wording of the Marriage Act and get the Senate to agree to the changes. That's exactly what they did back in 2004 when someone realised that the ambiguous wording of the Marriage Act might potentially mean same sex marriage was already legal if someone took advantage of the loophole and set a precedent so they quickly changed it to remove that ambiguity, and also so that same sex marriages that happened overseas wouldn't be legally recognised in Australia.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Cythereal posted:

Yeah, unfortunately when the homophobes realized they were losing in the US they started looking elsewhere and ended up in Africa. A lot of the really oppressive anti gay laws that have caught notoriety were heavily influenced by US pastors going on missionary trips and fire and brimstoning about homosexuality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Wheat Loaf posted:

. Kind of crooks who sent money to the IRA back in the 80s then stopped after 9/11 when they realised terrorism was actually bad, the lot of them. Exhibit A: Peter King.

The IRA (or some of the groups calling themselves that because there is a bunch) is also very left leaning and has strong ties to the PLO.

So you had American conservatives sending money back to the old country to fund a bunch of commies who would exchange training, safe houses and weapons with the Palestinians. And also killed a whole bunch of people.