Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
Huh, I must be the only one that's having issues with Jump Start Rubicante, then. it seems impossible for me to do enough damage to him to make sure he never cloaks himself, and fire resist accessories seem to not be much help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

The VI event hits before the fest right?
VI starts on the 21st and fest starts on the 24th

edit: Healer burst lucky draw on the 22nd says https://www.reddit.com/r/FFRecordKeeper/comments/70e7is/final_fantasy_birthday_party_lucky_draws_part_1/

iPodschun fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Sep 16, 2017

peekaboo gangster
Sep 12, 2003

I... I need some help. I've done my best to stave off asking for it until now, but the Magicite dungeons are eluding me, and it's driving me batty. I've got a boatload of good equipment, fairly good hones on most abilities - but I kinda screwed up my Record Diving. Squall and Cid Raines are both fully dived - Squall because I pulled his Ultra before I ended up hitting the Bartz Home Run (USB, BSB3, LMR), and Cid because his gloves help melt most things into a fine goo ultra quick. Now I've got Cloud (who nabbed his BSB2 from the 7 Newcomer LD (don't judge, I'm a man of extremely weak character)) and Bartz about halfway dived, as well as Y'shtola, but nowhere near where I'm seeing good returns (aka doublecast instant Tetragrammatons). I've had minor success getting Hydra down to about 50-40% HP before everything falls apart, and I seem to have pretty good fire options (Steiner OSB, BSB, Papalymo, Galuf, Refia BSBs) that Sealion just laughs at. What am I doing wrong / how can I take down one of these Megamans so I can get started on the others?

https://www.ffrkcentral.com/profile/ae2j

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Prism posted:

Where does Fujin stand? I know she has 9% total +ninja from her RD (as well as 9% Black Magic, if that matters), but I don't know what her LD or LMs are.

The thing with Fuujin is that the Mag cap on ninja magic is so low that you're often better off having her cast Meltdown and use her BSB and bring another Ninja to spam Raging Storm than you are having her use ninja magic.

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010

peekaboo gangster posted:

I... I need some help. I've done my best to stave off asking for it until now, but the Magicite dungeons are eluding me, and it's driving me batty. I've got a boatload of good equipment, fairly good hones on most abilities - but I kinda screwed up my Record Diving. Squall and Cid Raines are both fully dived - Squall because I pulled his Ultra before I ended up hitting the Bartz Home Run (USB, BSB3, LMR), and Cid because his gloves help melt most things into a fine goo ultra quick. Now I've got Cloud (who nabbed his BSB2 from the 7 Newcomer LD (don't judge, I'm a man of extremely weak character)) and Bartz about halfway dived, as well as Y'shtola, but nowhere near where I'm seeing good returns (aka doublecast instant Tetragrammatons). I've had minor success getting Hydra down to about 50-40% HP before everything falls apart, and I seem to have pretty good fire options (Steiner OSB, BSB, Papalymo, Galuf, Refia BSBs) that Sealion just laughs at. What am I doing wrong / how can I take down one of these Megamans so I can get started on the others?

You should be able to do Sealion with your Refia BSB, Bartz USB/Fire Twinstrike,either Galuf or Steiner, Ramza for Shout and yshtola healing.

That's actually the team I run (with Galuf bsb) and the only Soul Break I have that I didn't see in yours was Chant.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Are you having trouble with dps, or with survival? For me, figuring out how to consistently survive was the biggest hurdle. I think the best method of dealing with it is a wrathable mblink. Tyro's BSB, and Rosa's USB or SSB, and Sazh's SSBs are all good options off the top of my head. I think every magicite boss except for living flame does their savage ultimate at around the 17-18 second mark, so having an mblink up for that makes for relatively smooth sailing.

From there it just becomes a matter of knowing how to stack your damage. Personally I don't bother with the dungeons that I don't have a character with an enelement and a strong SB or other ability to take advantage of it. For me that's lightning (Maria BSB and OSB), water (Kain BSB and lightning dive), and ice (Terra's Fire Beam and OSB).

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
I kind of hate doing it but I've been farming the calcabrina ultimate fight for Magicite xp at 25.5k xp per 1 stamina.

Snazzy Frocks fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Sep 16, 2017

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Armitage posted:

Huh, I must be the only one that's having issues with Jump Start Rubicante, then. it seems impossible for me to do enough damage to him to make sure he never cloaks himself, and fire resist accessories seem to not be much help.

What's your strongest DPS option? Are you using Cloud USB? I did it with Bartz USB but no en element.

peekaboo gangster
Sep 12, 2003

Fister Roboto posted:

Are you having trouble with dps, or with survival? For me, figuring out how to consistently survive was the biggest hurdle. I think the best method of dealing with it is a wrathable mblink. Tyro's BSB, and Rosa's USB or SSB, and Sazh's SSBs are all good options off the top of my head. I think every magicite boss except for living flame does their savage ultimate at around the 17-18 second mark, so having an mblink up for that makes for relatively smooth sailing.

From there it just becomes a matter of knowing how to stack your damage. Personally I don't bother with the dungeons that I don't have a character with an enelement and a strong SB or other ability to take advantage of it. For me that's lightning (Maria BSB and OSB), water (Kain BSB and lightning dive), and ice (Terra's Fire Beam and OSB).

My main issue is that I haven't found the right balance between the two - I'm either throwing up a good amount of damage at the cost of mitigation, or I'm able to keep everyone fairly healthy until the boss turns into a Imperil-Stacking Blender. Rosa has her SSB which can help MBlink me past the first Savage Elemental spell, but I'm not sure if I should flip Y'sh out for her. My Onion Knight is fairly blessed with his BSB - would it be worth it to try and hone up some ninja skills to make him into a damager? Otherwise he languishes as my Breakdown King, which are night useless in these dungeons. Again, I've got good fire options (including Terra's OSB) but the most headway I've been able to make has been against Hydra thanks to Bartz and his USB+BSB3 / Galuf BSB (it Imperils Fire, but also hits the Earth element, and god bless him it heals) / Maria's BSB (which can't crack 1K damage on first entry, but does respectable 2-3k a hit after the MAG/RES bargain), along with Ramza yelling his brains out and Y'sh doing her healing thing. I'm gonna give Sealion a shot in a little bit, and failing that, will attempt another CM 7 Torment (I can *taste* those Vitality motes, they're so close)

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

You have all the pieces of my Fenrir team except for Firion but you should be able to replicate it with another M-blink or Ramza with Affliction Breakdown. Its a pretty easy if boring ~1minute clear

https://imgur.com/a/sT54r

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

My main issue is that I haven't found the right balance between the two - I'm either throwing up a good amount of damage at the cost of mitigation, or I'm able to keep everyone fairly healthy until the boss turns into a Imperil-Stacking Blender. Rosa has her SSB which can help MBlink me past the first Savage Elemental spell, but I'm not sure if I should flip Y'sh out for her. My Onion Knight is fairly blessed with his BSB - would it be worth it to try and hone up some ninja skills to make him into a damager? Otherwise he languishes as my Breakdown King, which are night useless in these dungeons. Again, I've got good fire options (including Terra's OSB) but the most headway I've been able to make has been against Hydra thanks to Bartz and his USB+BSB3 / Galuf BSB (it Imperils Fire, but also hits the Earth element, and god bless him it heals) / Maria's BSB (which can't crack 1K damage on first entry, but does respectable 2-3k a hit after the MAG/RES bargain), along with Ramza yelling his brains out and Y'sh doing her healing thing. I'm gonna give Sealion a shot in a little bit, and failing that, will attempt another CM 7 Torment (I can *taste* those Vitality motes, they're so close)

I'd keep both Rosa and Y'shtola on your team. My typical setup is Relm with BSB for healing and Tyro for mblink spamming. The combination of last stand, mblink, and instant curaja works wonders.

If you've got Maria's BSB you can definitely take down Hydra, if you have enough magic buffs to stack on her. Go to http://happypluto.com/~misterp/r/ffrk.pdf and click on the "notes on specific soul breaks" section to find out what thresholds you need to meet to get a 6 hit break.

e: I'd also strongly consider pulling on the FF4 banner before it goes away for Rosa's USB.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Sep 16, 2017

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010
Rosa's USB will also likely be on the SNES 30th anniversary banner.

Oryp
Jun 5, 2004

I'm by no means an expert, with only half of the magicites cleared so far, but hopefully some part of the following will be of use to you!:

I've been using Rosa as my only healer in magicites so far, admittedly with USB, but the wrathable heal/mblink is still key and I think better than the largely single target heals from Ysh.

As for OK, you could try using ninja, but you would likely be better suited giving him wrath/entrust and dumping the extra into your main dps. All of my successful magicite teams have had either one or two entrusters. You could maybe give (for a physical team) either Ramza or OK a SB bar at the start, and have the other with a quick gain RM, have them both wrath/entrusting with any excess.

So the above suggestions take up three slots, leaving you with either 2 dps, or 1 dps and another supporter of some kind, maybe a source of last stand, imperil, or extra heals?

Another random note, Alph SSB has been nice for some extra damage, if you weren't using OK BSB as your hastega. Also nice since he can be geared as a secondary healer pretty easily.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

iamsosmrt posted:

What's your strongest DPS option? Are you using Cloud USB? I did it with Bartz USB but no en element.

No, my physical damage options doesn't seem like it would be helped all that much by Cloud USB in this fight. They're barely doing 5000+ a hit, and usually less, even with +atk boost.

I tried, with Ayame and Hailstorm and Cloud's USB as a RW but, well, I can only get him to 60% before he cloaks himself. I brought Celes along for Snowspell strike but he cloaks way too fast.

EDIT2: I used a magic blink before he cloaked himself, and Ayame was able to use her BSB on entry for 8000 a hit, even when he was cloaked. I had to wait out the cloak, then Celes used Cloud USB RWed snowspell strikes to finish the job. There was the DPS I was looking for.

Armitage fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Sep 16, 2017

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
I finally bagged my first sub-30 second magicite.

Not regretting the full legend dive on Shanttoto at all now. I had Lightning smack her with a Thundering Twinstrike to push her into Pissed Off mode, and from there a combination of CSB/BSB and Lightning's USB along with a well-timed Ramza USB and Entrusts from Ramza/Onion did the job.

I also haven't even legend dived Lightning yet. Now that I have a setup that makes sub-30 possible without it, I may even hold off a bit longer! But nah, Lightning has to be next for me, because she can do a helluva lot outside of lightning-elemental teams.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.
I also got my first sub 30 from Bismarck just now. I literally optimized the fight for hours for this to go according to keikaku.

Lightning SSB2 OSB
Ramza SSB USB
Ysh SSB
TGCid OSB
OK

The primary reason for this to be possible was the shift from Lightning to Orlando as the primary damage. Swapping gear around and using Hailstorm got Thunder God to hit for the damage cap so even magicite bosses can't escape the man, the myth, the legend. May all your further dreams be plagued with nightmares of that crackling sound of 99999 you dumb whale.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Neutral Zone Trap posted:

I also got my first sub 30 from Bismarck just now. I literally optimized the fight for hours for this to go according to keikaku.

Lightning SSB2 OSB
Ramza SSB USB
Ysh SSB
TGCid OSB
OK

The primary reason for this to be possible was the shift from Lightning to Orlando as the primary damage. Swapping gear around and using Hailstorm got Thunder God to hit for the damage cap so even magicite bosses can't escape the man, the myth, the legend. May all your further dreams be plagued with nightmares of that crackling sound of 99999 you dumb whale.

What's the play-by-play on this? I think I could basically replicate it in JP, at least.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Magicite bonuses stack with each other, right? Like Dampen Lightening, for example?

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."
What's the next major event/fest after the 30th and how many months after would it be?

jebeebus
May 2, 2005

FF7F00 Cocos Nucifera
Morus : Passiflora Edulis
Cherimoya : Castanea
Synsepalum+(Citrus x limon)
Monstera : L. chinensis
I would think 3rd Anniversary in March, found this sheet in the facebook group to be pretty helpful

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1WVIqDZgz_leO2ed9h3z3b4dA8CwV6SJXuis1cOToQ4U/edit#gid=50465946

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Theres a fiesta every 3 months right? Id assume something for christmas/new years.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
So it's not just me, other people are thinking to just say gently caress it to this Rubicante fight, yes? Dude's mega dispel loving sucks and it's all over the place.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."
I'm going to try it again, but I'm pretty sure I'm completely unable to clear it.

I just hope the 30th will change my account standing around, which I'm sure it will if I get some choice relics.

Cosmic Afro
May 23, 2011
I am having issues with the 220 one, myself. The Jumpstart was fine for me. It's that bloody cancel that is a pain in the rear end, despite having Ayame as a BSB.

Stirdog
Oct 11, 2012

Servaetes posted:

So it's not just me, other people are thinking to just say gently caress it to this Rubicante fight, yes? Dude's mega dispel loving sucks and it's all over the place.

I hear a lot of people struggling with this. I think the fight is a little different from traditional approaches. It's more manageable with very defensive teams. For example attacking while he has his cape us causes counters which add minor imperils. It's not intuitive but it's better to literally do nothing during this time if you can't weather the storm with wall and really strong heals.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Nihilarian posted:

Magicite bonuses stack with each other, right? Like Dampen Lightening, for example?

Yes, with diminishing returns. The highest one (doesn't matter what order they're in) gets the full effect, second highest gets 1/2 effect, third gets 1/4, etc.

Cosmic Afro
May 23, 2011
What I don't know about the magicite bonus is just how much it actually /matters/. Like, what does having a Level 10 Resistance bonus actually gives us?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Every magicite passive is 1% per level of the passive. So BarThunder 6 is -6% lightning damage taken.

jebeebus
May 2, 2005

FF7F00 Cocos Nucifera

Stirdog posted:

I hear a lot of people struggling with this. I think the fight is a little different from traditional approaches. It's more manageable with very defensive teams. For example attacking while he has his cape us causes counters which add minor imperils. It's not intuitive but it's better to literally do nothing during this time if you can't weather the storm with wall and really strong heals.

That's how I managed to master all the Rubicante fights with my team that only have 3* motes filled in. Well timed Rosa USBs to give M.Blink when our defenses get stripped, Noctis SSB to be able to get them back up quickly, and using the skip button 10x more than I ever have. There were points where I skipped thru the whole team like three times just waiting for the right moments. Bartz ended up not being all that helpful and I switched to Noctis being the Cloud USB RW user since his non-elemental attacks could still damage Rubicante in case I didn't properly anticipate his cape going up. My overall DPS was pretty poor but you can survive all his bullshit.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Cosmic Afro posted:

What I don't know about the magicite bonus is just how much it actually /matters/. Like, what does having a Level 10 Resistance bonus actually gives us?

You gain 10% the resistance of your main magicite plus half the resistance of all your sub magicites (which isn't the listed total, it is about 50% higher) added to your resistance after all other bonuses (including things like shield and wall).

This means the magic bonus is alright if you are having trouble hitting the cap. Attack is pretty easy to cap so it probably isn't that great.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

I killed Rubicante before he got to cape mode using Celes, Cloud USB, and snowspell strike, with Rikku triple-imperilling, Ramza Shout/Chanting, Yshy wall, and Noctis with his SSB to speed everything up.

It was kinda close, as damage races can be, but it worked. Celes murders everything with cloud USB. It's how I finally killed off Gi Nattak torments.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.

Schwartzcough posted:

What's the play-by-play on this? I think I could basically replicate it in JP, at least.

Gotta warn you that the success rate isn't very high but I did consistantly get sub 31 clears. The last second was really hard to shave off.

Setup:

Lightning has a 578 atk with +lit armor, R2 Thundering Twinstrike and R5 Lifesiphon. Full Legend Dive. Ace Striker.
OK has R4 Wrath and R2 Entrust. Water res accessory. 4* dive. Battleforged
Ramza has 205 MND in back row with a water res accessory. R2 Wrath, R1 Entrust. Full Legend Dive. Mako Might.
TGCid has 468 atk with two +lit items, R2 Hailstorm and R5 Lifesiphon. 4* dive. Truthseeker.
Ysh has 509 mnd with a water res accessory. R2 Curada. Full Legend Dive. Dr. Mogs.

Magicite Hydra

The beginning is always the same:

Lightning (haste and QC3): RW, Lifesiphon, Lifesiphon, Lifesiphon, Lifesiphon
Ysh: SSB2, wait until Hydra is usable and use it
TGCid: Lifesiphon, Lifesiphon, Hailstorm
OK: Wrath, Entrust (Ramza), Wrath,
Ramza: Shout, Wrath, USB

At this point Hydra has gone off and Ramza USB gave party wide instant cast.

Lightning: SSB2 (instant)-> OSB-> OSB/Thundering Twinstrike if no gauge
Ysh: Curada (instant)->Curada spam
TGCid: OSB (instant)-> OSB/Lifesiphon if no gauge
Ramza and OK wrath and entrust Lighting and TGCid depending on the gauge generated by the boss' attacks.

It's important to constantly be mindful of the DPS' bars to ensure maximum amount of OSBs go off. Cid is the priority when entrusting but you can't him so much gauge he can't use it all before the 30 mark.

That's pretty much it.

jebeebus
May 2, 2005

FF7F00 Cocos Nucifera
Fukken finally god damnn...

Now for the 130ish I have left on the Elite side... more 1/2 stamina DeNA pls

Is that something that occurs regularly?

vvv edit: Oh sweet! vvv

jebeebus fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Sep 17, 2017

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

jebeebus posted:

Is that something that occurs regularly?

Start of every month gives a Lucky Draw, a Dungeon Update, and 1/2 stamina cost for Realm Dungeons for a week. :)

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I'm kinda bored with the game currently and just waiting to see if I get anything exciting from the upcoming fest. I think I go through this like once a year. At some point people will just move on right? I already feel the community getting smaller in the popular discussion spots.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I think this is the most diverse the content has been since I started. Maybe too much poo poo going on even. If the game is getting boring now, it's probably time to take a break and maybe come back in a few weeks or months.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Neutral Zone Trap posted:

Gotta warn you that the success rate isn't very high but I did consistantly get sub 31 clears. The last second was really hard to shave off.

Thanks for this! I was able to replicate it (with some extra help from power creep) in JP. Now I can farm 5* summon orbs if I wanted to for some reason.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I'm kinda bored with the game currently and just waiting to see if I get anything exciting from the upcoming fest. I think I go through this like once a year. At some point people will just move on right? I already feel the community getting smaller in the popular discussion spots.

The P&D community has "gotten smaller" too, and that game's what, almost a decade strong?

FFRK has a finite lifespan, yes, but I don't think its final days are going to involve any sort of lack of interest that we can see on the player side.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Looks like there's gonna be maintenance Wednesday morning; we'll almost definitely know the festival banners for global once that's over. Crossing my fingers that the dupes I have on SNES and PS1 get replaced...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

:siren::siren::siren::siren:f u c k r u b i c a n t e:siren::siren::siren::siren:

Party:

Noctis (SSB)
Reks (BSB)
Gladiolus (SSB)
Fran (USB)
Vayne (SSB/BSB)

Well I did it, went with a yolo strategy after all your advice and watching a reddit video with Vayne's instacast SSB. I have zero Water and only Fran's USB for Ice, so I had to improvise using Reks' CMD1 for more damage.

I used Cloud RW to pump up my damage on Fran and Reks, and even then I was only hitting for 10k with Fran USB after Reks/Gladiolus/Cloud buffs (Although after two imperils the final USB hit for 20k a piece).

Long story short, my entire party was sub-100 hp and used up their Last Stand procs and I pulled off the win after using a total of 5 team-insta SSBs. Had to sneak one turn of Waterga Strike and Full Break to satisfy the medal conditions.

Feels good man.

• Locked thread