Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
French DLC maps are better than Russian DLC maps but both are inferior to vanilla maps. Giants shadow can go gently caress itself though. I have tons of fun on Suez even though it always ends with one side being spawnlocked. I am getting sick of ballroom blitz though. Amiens might be one of my favorite MP maps of all time, it's up there with DoD-Avalanche.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
DoD Av is loving legendary

Suez is fun but only if you throw away the match and go for good KDR and not PTFO.

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
DoD-Avalanche is amazing enough to ignore the fact that it was pretty imbalanced. I honestly can't remember any other map in that game because Av was all anyone played. I'd love a new DoD but will absolutely settle for a new battlefield set in WW2. CoD WW2 will suck, I'm not falling for that poo poo again.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Live At Five! posted:

DoD-Avalanche is amazing enough to ignore the fact that it was pretty imbalanced. I honestly can't remember any other map in that game because Av was all anyone played. I'd love a new DoD but will absolutely settle for a new battlefield set in WW2. CoD WW2 will suck, I'm not falling for that poo poo again.

What do you mean, again? The ww2 cod games (aka the original cod games) were amazing.

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
De Vaux with Automatico Trench + Dynamite is ridiculous fun, especially in the hallways around the courtyard area.

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
I haven't enjoyed a CoD since MW2, I think I'm just too old for them. It's far too twitchy for me. I don't care for small maps and TTKs that are super low. I love BF1 because it's possible to be good with good tactics and thinking, not just who saw who first. Not to say getting the drop on someone isnt a huge advantage in BF1 but it isn't the end all be all. I think Battlefield overtook CoD in Bad Company 2 in terms of how good the infantry combat felt. I played BF1942, BF:V, and BF2 which were great due to the vehicle combat but the infantry combat was poo poo, which is why I preferred CoD until Bad Company 2. I did love pretty much every WW2 CoD but I'm not sure if CoD WW2 will be fun for someone who doesn't like twitch shooting. Battlefield feels more fair than CoD for someone who doesn't have the best reaction times. Plus I feel that DICE has done a great job of improving the mechanics of each Battlefield versus the various developers of CoD coasting on the same poo poo for years. I'd love it if CoD WW2 was fun but I've been burned by thinking the new CoD will be more fun than the last. I was super excited for MW remastered but it's just the same fast paced thing I can't deal with anymore.

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
Since BC2 and BF3: Close Quarters, DICE def gets the edge on infantry combat.

Every now and then I toy with grabbing BLOPS for the zombie maps, but I can never bring myself to do it.

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

I THINK I AM THE PINNACLE OF HUMOR. WAIT HANG ON I HAVE TO GO POUR MILK INTO MY GAPING ASSHOLE!
Yeah it seems like the meta with cod games since probably MW3 has been basically using mobility perks and smgs. I miss blops1:(

As far as expansion maps go, I feel like albion and galacia or however that's spelt are miles above any of the French maps. That might be because I prefer support and medic, which do quite well in those maps.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

e.pilot posted:

Other than Rupture and De Vaux I just can't get in to the expansion maps.

e: oh and soissons was just amazing on frontlines before they added the time limits, I once had a three hour back and forth battle there that saw both sides down to one telegraph. Hands down the best round of BF1 I've ever played.

Yeah, I haven't played frontlines since they added the time limit. Soissons was incredible. I think I went four hours once. The whole map looked like the lunar surface.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

I just love the irony of playing a game about ww1 and complaining about a game mode that's almost always a meat grinder stalemate.

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

I THINK I AM THE PINNACLE OF HUMOR. WAIT HANG ON I HAVE TO GO POUR MILK INTO MY GAPING ASSHOLE!
Has anyone else been launched by the geometry more often since the last update?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qE8sU7nXnwo

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

lambskin posted:

Has anyone else been launched by the geometry more often since the last update?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qE8sU7nXnwo

lol no, you go the tanooki suit and I'm jealous, pls share the new konami code

Also lmao the double barrelled slug is the best gun in the game. Between that the nagant the russian trench and all the other revolvers this is the closest I'll get to Lucasarts Outlaws in 2017. <3 dice

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

mellowjournalism posted:

lol no, you go the tanooki suit and I'm jealous, pls share the new konami code

Also lmao the double barrelled slug is the best gun in the game. Between that the nagant the russian trench and all the other revolvers this is the closest I'll get to Lucasarts Outlaws in 2017. <3 dice

Yeh I'm definitely RPing the expansion as a grizzled but caring alcoholic sherriff with a heart of gold (and a gaze of lead for I guess whatever team I'm not on)

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
The new slug shotgun just makes me miss slug shotguns in Bad Company 2. Taking out bush wookies halfway across the map with the SPAS12 slug was probably my favorite thing to do. Slugs haven't been the same since.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

the beauty of BC2 was the convergence of so many different dumb overpowered things. Slug shotgun headshots from across the map, c4 drones, the carl gustav, etc.

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
Oh man I somehow forgot about the Carl G. The AT gun is fun but doesn't compare to my man Carl. There's something to be said for a game where everything is overpowered so nothing is overpowered.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Live At Five! posted:

Oh man I somehow forgot about the Carl G. The AT gun is fun but doesn't compare to my man Carl. There's something to be said for a game where everything is overpowered so nothing is overpowered.

Any game where the best sniper rifle is a rocket launcher is a good game. Also the last bf where maps were mad with rush in mind which made rush really unique compared to other game modes

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
Rush was great fun in BC2 but I haven't enjoyed it since. Frontlines before it was patched to have a hard time limit was probably the closest experience I've had to replicating that. Playing a 2 hour frontlines game on Soissons was one of my favorite BF1 moments. I don't really care for operations and don't like that most base BF1 maps were made for Ops in mind.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Live At Five! posted:

Rush was great fun in BC2 but I haven't enjoyed it since. Frontlines before it was patched to have a hard time limit was probably the closest experience I've had to replicating that. Playing a 2 hour frontlines game on Soissons was one of my favorite BF1 moments. I don't really care for operations and don't like that most base BF1 maps were made for Ops in mind.

Rush in bc2 let you physically collapse buildings onto objectives which was the pinnacle of destructible environments in the series, god I miss bc2.

Long live King Carl

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
All this talk of BC2 makes me want BC2 remastered ala CoD4 remastered. I tried playing BC2 when it was made backwards compatible on xbone but it wasn't fun. Also I'm shallow and can't deal with the horrible resolution of x360 era games. PS4 pro has spoiled me.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

shut up blegum posted:

What do you mean, again? The ww2 cod games (aka the original cod games) were amazing.

Ehhhhhh I'm gonna disagree. The first CoD was a game of two halves, which veered between astonishingly brilliantly best in class, and utter meh. So drat inconsistent, those highs were so good, but the lows really took the edge off.

CoD 2 I was stoked for, having played the demo level on my shiny new launch period 360 a bunch of times. Sadly that demo level was the best level in the game, and it was just monster closets and an endless series of "assault a group of enemy held buildings, then defend it against a counterattack". I did that in the snow, in the desert, on D-Day... it was interminable.

TBF I never played much of CoD 3 or World at War, but I was well off the CoD train by then, only getting dragged in by the sheer nonsense of MW.

No, Medal of Honor: Allied Assault and its expansions, that was the loving boy right there. God I loved that game. Great campaign (Omaha Beach motherfucker) and incredibly good online multiplayer. I used to rock the unscoped bolt-action, even though sniper rifles and assault rifles were hugely superior to everything else. I just had fun doing what I enjoyed doing. I also used to love playing on "realistic" servers which were probably similar to BF's hardcore mode, or rifles only servers so the infantry rifle I loved wouldn't put me at a massive disadvantage. There was either a game mode, or a server thing, which was like a 20 v 20 "one life only" mode which was loving tits, incredibly tense cheering on the last man on your squad as they faced off against the last three of their dudes.

And it had a tug of war mode which was like Frontlines, but better, as the objectives you fought over actually changed the environmental effects of the battlefield, like capturing some 88s would turn them around so they fired on the approaches to the other team's spawn instead of your own.

CoD WW2 looks bad. And I hate to say that because I'm about as target audience as it gets for WW2 shooters, having played most (but not all) of them back when they were the thing, and really wanting a modern HD return to Omaha Beach because the time is right. MP footage looks to be the usual CoD "run around a bunch of corridors and first one to not blink wins every face-off". I'm too old for a game that fast, I can't even enjoy dying if I don't even get to see who killed me. Pointless even having different guns if they all melt dudes in a nanosecond if you happen to be the one who fires first. Nothing about the campaign trailers looks enticing so far either. I'd love it to be good, I'll gladly pick it up later for the campaign if it turns out to not suck, but I'm not getting even a fraction of the excitement I felt back in the day. And I was "in" on BF1 from the very first teaser pic of a dude looking up at a zeppelin. I'm an easy lay when it comes to world war shooters, and if I'm not frothing for it they must have hosed up somewhere. But again, I hope I'm wrong as obvs I want all games to be good.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Hear hear on that whole thing. And this part in particular:

Parkingtigers posted:

There was either a game mode, or a server thing, which was like a 20 v 20 "one life only" mode which was loving tits, incredibly tense cheering on the last man on your squad as they faced off against the last three of their dudes.

I'm pretty sure it was an actual game mode. My clan and I would do these all the time and it was great fun observing the last couple folks on your team that were alive, and even greater if you were among that group hunting down the remaining enemies. All of the maps from Allied Assault were top notch too. The only thing I don't miss from that game was constantly manually leaning, not even around corners but just to throw the other guy's aim off. I really like how you automatically lean in BF1.

COD WW2 just doesn't look original and I have a feeling I'll be seeing it for $20-30 half a year after its release. I'll be too busy with battlefront 2 anyway.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
My deal is that cod games feel even more samey than every other shooter that's the same thing with every "new" release. Lookin at you, Destiny. Battlefield has stayed at least slightly fresh somehow although it could just be my biases coloring my experience. I'm also old.

also loving hitscan LOL it is 2017 we can fold proteins with our phones for gods sake.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
Yeah I'm bummed out by COD WW2 footage, but i'm cool with dice picking up the torch so really I just can't wait for BF WW2 already.

MOH multiplayer was so much fun. The hide-n-seek moments in that elimination mode could get pretty tense.

Ok I'll admit it 100%, I'd also love yet another new modern battlefield with the latest graphics and newfangles. Maybe if they could figure this out:

quote:

...And that problem is, DICE isn't sure what people really liked about Bad Company, and thus isn't sure how to go about making a sequel.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-06-24-dice-ponders-what-did-people-really-like-about-battlefield-bad-company

:lol:

red19fire
May 26, 2010

There was an elimination mode in BF4, and my favorite thing in the world was hatemail from MLG turds mad that I hid claymores in their favorite campout spots with one of the support perks. #GOML

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Yeesh I finally got the 15 HE tripwire kills to unlock the scoped Mosin. Team Deathmatch is def the best mode for them

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I just want to say the MG15 n.a low weight with AA sights is fun as hell to use.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKFI4ahUbIs

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Looks like cheese mode more than the hellreigel imho

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Stable bipod, 100 round mag open sightlines and no real cover IS cheese mode but it's not that common a situation

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

Yeah honestly I'm not a big fan of that weapon, though it has its uses. It's fairly mediocre in everything.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Fire a few shots to warm it up, the second volley of shots is like a laser.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
Yeah word I love the mg15 and it's actually kinda fun how you gotta get it all warmed up and keep it toasty. But still, you just can't stick and move the same way you can with a hellbeaglol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sJoYoPCE80
I never mind getting killed by it but it's just kind of a dumb, uninteresting gun in a game full of really really fun and interesting guns

And then any time you get the bipod down in the right spot it doesn't really matter what the hell gun you're using:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Mws9qFAyPA

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Chauchat is still my favorite

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I think these new Russian maps highlight the need for :dice: to limit the amount of classes per team. The entire Tsar expansion maps are riddled with snipers and mortars.

I guess it makes for the authentic WWI die in a hole experience but it's pretty loving lame. I know people are trying to get challenges done but nuts to them.

They also need some armor. We're back to the old formula of run for 200 meters and die.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Beastie posted:

I think these new Russian maps highlight the need for :dice: to limit the amount of classes per team. The entire Tsar expansion maps are riddled with snipers and mortars.
So is every other map. Pubbies gonna pub.

The new maps definitely have some issues, but if your complaint is "too many pubbies play scout", then I don't know how you played BF1 long enough to get to this expansion.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

It was drastically worse on the new maps. Like something I had never seen before. The maps are wide loving open. There is zero cover. It would be rad if the operations worked out with actual infantry charges but both teams just find a spot and camp with scout rifles.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
Yeah last week I was in an operations where 14 of our 24 man team were loving snipers. Can you guess thast we lost?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Hamburlgar posted:

Yeah last week I was in an operations where 14 of our 24 man team were loving snipers. Can you guess thast we lost?

bbbbbbbbut my KDR

red19fire
May 26, 2010

just play as support and throw smoke bombs everywhere, they'll figure it out eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

red19fire posted:

just play as support and throw smoke bombs everywhere, they'll figure it out eventually.
Back in BF4 when they added the riot shield for support, I occasionally would head out to the furthest limit of maps like Golmud Railway, find a friendly sniper, and just sit in front of him with my riot shield in his face.

Riot shields were one of the things that showed your emblem and this was (and still is) mine: