Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Jose Valasquez posted:

My dog loving loves day care, but he really likes other dogs.

How can you tell? How big is your dog?

The one day care I tried for a day just had a bunch of dogs milling around in the big dog room, watching the (probably teen) employees. The employees had spray bottles but I never saw them use them. They cleaned up after the dogs, rotated them to a different room, cleaned the whole room, stuff like that. My dog was only there about 4 or so hours. All the dogs seemed chill. Maybe the small dog area was different.

It was just so different than seeing her at the dog park. We'll go to the park and sometimes we'll stay all morning. Even when she takes a break from playing at the park, she still seems mentally stimulated. She's watching other dogs and people. Maybe I had the wrong idea about day care or maybe I should try out a different one. Or maybe see if I can spring for some one-on-one training sessions if she needs to be boarded? I'd really have to research that option though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

GoodBee posted:

How can you tell? How big is your dog?
We take him at least once a week and when I say "Do you want to go play with puppies today?" he starts jumping around and runs to the door and pops a full boner. When I pull into the parking lot at day care he starts jumping around in the back seat and drags me across the parking lot to get inside. He's an 80lb lab mix, so he can hold his own with the other dogs, but our day care separates out smaller dogs and also has private rooms if a dog is having issues with the other dogs.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

That's super adorable! (Not the boner part so much) Thanks for sharing!

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

He is adorable! Here is proof!

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Jose Valasquez posted:

He is adorable! Here is proof!

That is a high quality dog.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

This is the one daycare I would consider taking a dog to, because they actually train the dogs and do stuff with them instead of letting it be a crazy free-for-all.
http://www.thebarkhaus.com/gallery
There are 480 photos in that gallery and they are all excellent.

PASS THE MASH
Oct 30, 2013

Hi dog thread! I have a 3 year old Australian cattle dog who is great in all respects except that she has a bad habit of expressing her anal glands once a week for no good reason. Obviously, I'm not considering getting rid of her, but does anybody know why she might be doing that.
Here are some pics of Nova as payment!

[timg]https://i.imgur.com/XYfqbpt.jpg[/url][/timg]

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

PASS THE MASH posted:

Hi dog thread! I have a 3 year old Australian cattle dog who is great in all respects except that she has a bad habit of expressing her anal glands once a week for no good reason. Obviously, I'm not considering getting rid of her, but does anybody know why she might be doing that.
Here are some pics of Nova as payment!

[timg]https://i.imgur.com/XYfqbpt.jpg[/url][/timg]

She's not expressing them normally through defecation. Does she have soft stool often? One of my dogs does the same thing as she is prone to occasional bouts of diarrhea. Firm stools typically express the glands naturally as they pass.

PASS THE MASH
Oct 30, 2013

Super Grocery Kart posted:

She's not expressing them normally through defecation. Does she have soft stool often? One of my dogs does the same thing as she is prone to occasional bouts of diarrhea. Firm stools typically express the glands naturally as they pass.

Her stool tends to be pretty soft yeah. We thought that was a result of her worms but since we got her on interceptor they haven't firmed up that much. Would a change in diet help with her stool? Currently have her on blue buffalo lamb and rice.

PASS THE MASH fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Sep 3, 2017

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation
ive never wanted to die as much as this thread has made me want to die; and thats an accomplishment

how are so many people so bad at comprehending LGDs

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

PASS THE MASH posted:

Her stool tends to be pretty soft yeah. We thought that was a result of her worms but since we got her on interceptor they haven't firmed up that much. Would a change in diet help with her stool? Currently have her on blue buffalo lamb and rice.

We found it made a huge difference. Best poops with Petkind kibble

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

PASS THE MASH posted:

It might. My dog's issues got so much better once I removed processed chicken-based products, even to the point of her dry skin cleared up, so clearly she had a sensitivity to chicken. You can try some foods based on different proteins or different brands to see if her stools firm up, just transition over time.

Freakbox
Dec 22, 2009

"And Tomorrow I can get Scared Another Day..."
If puppy food chat is happening, can I get some suggestions for grain free puppy food? We were gifted a huge bag of Pedigree Puppy food the day we got Bucky and I rarely look a gift horse in the mouth, but when it's gone I want something better.

Bonus: Manager Dog needs to talk to you about your Pawformance. It's been Wagging lately.

EDIT: his little ears flopped over since I posted the last pic/video- I love them :kimchi:

Freakbox fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Sep 3, 2017

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

learnincurve posted:

Have any of you considered moving to 'sralia? Ok we have snakes and spiders and kangaroos which are basically giant murderous rats, but no worries about bears or big cats and it's relatively easy and cheap to set up a smaller farm. Ours used to be a potato farm which had gone under. Started out using a small bit of the land and renting out the rest of the fields to neighbours and then expanded with the stock. Original house cost less than 10k of your American dollars and was delivered off the back of a truck.

yeah the big livestock killing animal in Australia is feral dogs, nothing else is really big enough to bring down cattle or even sheep. 'dingoes' get the blame but the only population of pure blood dingoes left is on fraser island. LGDs are seeing an increase in use for protecting wildlife though:

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

PASS THE MASH posted:

Freakbox posted:

If puppy food chat is happening, can I get some suggestions for grain free puppy food? We were gifted a huge bag of Pedigree Puppy food the day we got Bucky and I rarely look a gift horse in the mouth, but when it's gone I want something better.

Bonus: Manager Dog needs to talk to you about your Pawformance. It's been Wagging lately.

EDIT: his little ears flopped over since I posted the last pic/video- I love them :kimchi:

There's a pet food/nutrition megathread. There have been a bunch of recalls and issues lately but earthborn holistics and wellness seem to be doing ok and my dog has been doing well on sportdogfood. Places like chewy.com have any type of food you could possibly want so don't feel like you're restricted by what's available in stores in your area. Blue Buffalo tends to be overpriced for the quality and I've heard of a lot of dogs having loose stools on it.

DoYouHasaRabbit
Oct 8, 2007
Agreeing with everyone else about Dog Daycares. I've worked at one where they used to put 50 to 100 dogs in one room/yard at a time and that was a nightmare. If we got through a shift without a fight it was a good day but we always expected at least one fight per month.

I'm a manager at one right now and it does everything so much better but there's always a risk or your dog getting hurt. We don't do groups bigger than 15. The dogs go out twice a day for 2 hours, so they always get a break in between. All the dogs are separated by size as well. We haven't had an incident in a year at least and it's because the groups are kept very small and the dogs get breaks so they don't get snappy.

The only bad part about Daycares are that people who work there are either really inexperienced or shittily trained. The industry has a high turnover of staff so you constantly have new people/less experienced people working in the yards. Some of the people who stay in the industry for a while also pick up some lovely habits and I have seen borderline animal abuse at old facilities I used to work at.

Personally, I don't take my dogs to Daycare but some people love it because their dog goes home tired. Just think why you really want it. Can you get the energy out some other way by walking/running/fetch etc? Or is it a necessity where you can't let your dog out all day at work or something? Also, never take your dog to daycare 5 to 7 days a week. It will pick up on bad habits like eating poo poo and may become more stressed. Don't get me wrong though, some dogs do like being with other dogs everyday but a lot of dogs don't.

If you do look at boarding facilities/daycares; I would look for small group play and that the dogs get breaks. Ask if the dogs are supervised and what the hours are etc. Most places won't let you see inside the daycare but you should have a good idea if the place is good by getting a tour. Some places look really lovely and some places are great.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Dear people at the dog park, I'm not an rear end in a top hat because your small child that is running around, eating snacks, is afraid of my "big" dogs.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
dear people who have kids and no dogs at a dog park.

gently caress off.

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

sneakyfrog posted:

dear people who have kids and no dogs at a dog park.

gently caress off.

Wait is this even a thing? That's loving weird

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

PlaneGuy posted:

its a thing.

a lovely stupid thing.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!
Why do they go? Kids want to pet the dogs?

I took my doggo to the park for the first time Friday. She did great, but the place is gigantic so she didn't really run into other dogs.
She's very timid and spooked by other dogs when she first encounters them. She freezes in place, in a sort of semi-defensive stance. Then after a couple seconds of sniffing she loosens up and loves to socialize. But she's immediately spooked by other dogs at first. I guess this isn't a problem since she's still getting used to it.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Dennis McClaren posted:

Why do they go? Kids want to pet the dogs?

I took my doggo to the park for the first time Friday. She did great, but the place is gigantic so she didn't really run into other dogs.
She's very timid and spooked by other dogs when she first encounters them. She freezes in place, in a sort of semi-defensive stance. Then after a couple seconds of sniffing she loosens up and loves to socialize. But she's immediately spooked by other dogs at first. I guess this isn't a problem since she's still getting used to it.

While that may not be a clear problem so far, some dogs will (rightly) read it as a precursor to an attack and go on the offensive. Keep a close eye on it, and try to keep her walking to minimize that sort of body language.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

Engineer Lenk posted:

While that may not be a clear problem so far, some dogs will (rightly) read it as a precursor to an attack and go on the offensive. Keep a close eye on it, and try to keep her walking to minimize that sort of body language.

Thanks for the tip I was hoping to learn how to react to this stuff with her!
She went to the dog park today on the small dog side. There's only ever 2 or 3 dogs there, but only 2 today. She is scared of chihuahua's that are 1/2 her size. Not like cowering in fear with raised hairs or anything, but its obvious she's just super shy.
I'm hoping with continued visits she keeps warming up to the company.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

PlaneGuy posted:

So, one of the beaches here is pretty long...3kms? Well maintained, with facilities, life guards, etc. At the end of it, well separated by rocks, is a small off-leash dog beach....and yes, people will go there and happily let their toddlers walk among the dogs that are having major beach-zoomies and you know who's going to get blamed if the kid gets knocked down.
What's worse, is the people having picnics. No, leaving your food out where 20 dogs can come and grab it, is not a good idea.

Freakbox
Dec 22, 2009

We're getting gigantic! I'll be changing foods now that the other one's running low. Does anyone know if rachel ray's puppy food is any good? The cat food is all my 18 year old kitty will eat.

Question Time: how do I get a reluctant puppy to learn to walk on the street? Treat reinforcement? He pees in the yard on a harness, and he doesn't mind cars- he's just very unconfident on the road.

I'm guessing it's just an exposure thing, but I wanted any potential advice.

Picture Toll

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Freakbox posted:

We're getting gigantic! I'll be changing foods now that the other one's running low. Does anyone know if rachel ray's puppy food is any good? The cat food is all my 18 year old kitty will eat.

Question Time: how do I get a reluctant puppy to learn to walk on the street? Treat reinforcement? He pees in the yard on a harness, and he doesn't mind cars- he's just very unconfident on the road.

I'm guessing it's just an exposure thing, but I wanted any potential advice.

Picture Toll

Cute pupper! Nutrish is pretty garbage, although the grain free varieties aren't the worst thing I've seen. We do have a nutrition thread where you can look for something better if you want. Let that kitty eat whatever they want though, that's a good ole kitty.

Freakbox
Dec 22, 2009

Yeah i figured- old kitty wasn't eating for a long time, and that was the only food i tried that he took to after an illness almost took him. :ohdear: I want him to eat anything at 18, but puppy will get something better. I'll go with him to the petstore tomorrow! He needs the socialization.

I don't think poor nutrition can kill an 18 year old cat. He gets cooked, unseasoned meat too, and occasionally unseasoned pumpkin. We're trying to put some weight back on him.

Out of place Ole Kitty pic. :kimchi: Jubal is a little dustmop.

Freakbox fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Sep 12, 2017

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

Are there any good options for very long leashes and (I Guess) posts for taking a dog to an open park?

I have a small park in my neighborhood that no one uses. In over a year I've seen maybe 3 people there. I don't know why it's nice, but most people in the neighborhood are very old, so who knows.

Is it kosher to put in a stake and a long leash so she's got more than 6 ft to run around with? That way at least we could play some catch while we chill there.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Dennis McClaren posted:

Are there any good options for very long leashes and (I Guess) posts for taking a dog to an open park?

I have a small park in my neighborhood that no one uses. In over a year I've seen maybe 3 people there. I don't know why it's nice, but most people in the neighborhood are very old, so who knows.

Is it kosher to put in a stake and a long leash so she's got more than 6 ft to run around with? That way at least we could play some catch while we chill there.

If there's no one there why not off leash? Yolo

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

ImplicitAssembler posted:

So, one of the beaches here is pretty long...3kms? Well maintained, with facilities, life guards, etc. At the end of it, well separated by rocks, is a small off-leash dog beach....and yes, people will go there and happily let their toddlers walk among the dogs that are having major beach-zoomies and you know who's going to get blamed if the kid gets knocked down.
What's worse, is the people having picnics. No, leaving your food out where 20 dogs can come and grab it, is not a good idea.

A while back a guy came into the neighborhood dog park with a bucket of fried chicken and just started eating. He ended up getting in such a big fight with the other owners that the cops had to be called.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

bamhand posted:

A while back a guy came into the neighborhood dog park with a bucket of fried chicken and just started eating. He ended up getting in such a big fight with the other owners that the cops had to be called.

There was a guy at my dog park who did this, but he at least had the common sense to eat it at the picnic table just outside the fenced dog area. Still drove the dogs crazy as they needed to walk by him to get into the park.

The biggest offenses I've seen at my park though are mostly people bringing their mega jugs of Dunkin' Donuts iced coffee in, or letting their toddlers play on the playscape stuff for the dogs. Once someone left their coffee unattended and one of my dogs went over and licked the straw before I could stop her. A few other people saw it too. No one said jack poo poo to the owner of the coffee. :smugdog:

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Dennis McClaren posted:

Check your local codes. My area specifies that dogs must be on a 6 foot max leash in public parks, unless within a designated fenced in dog park.

If no one goes there, then it might not be a problem but I think things like that are good to know.

The state parks I've been to also specify 6 foot leashes or crates or pens but I use a longer tether there. It hasn't been a problem there since the dogs are clearly within our designated campsite. The park rangers know and are cool with tethers and runs and some even bring treats.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Dennis McClaren posted:

I used a 50' leash when I was working on recalls. Animal Control came by once (mostly checking for license) and gave me props for 'training responsibly'.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

Tsyni posted:

If there's no one there why not off leash? Yolo

The other 3 people I've seen there all had their dogs with them, and off the leash lol. It's also directly next to the police dept. and fire dept. I think the other people I saw with their dogs were probably cops themselves. Not like K9 dogs but their personal pets.
So I don't think that would be a problem to say the least haha. And I shouldn't say a year, it's only been about 6 months since I've lived in this neighborhood. But all 3 times I saw someone they had their dogs. One of the pair of dogs a young guy had, ran up and scared the poo poo out of my puppy while she was on her leash. Super friendly dogs though.

But- my dog is only 5 months old and still being trained. She got off the leash there once while I was adjusting her harness, and she made a B-line for a garbage truck backing up with it's beeping noise. So I don't exactly trust her totally off a leash yet.

Could you trust someone so devious looking?

Dennis McClaren fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Sep 12, 2017

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Does anyone use a timeout zone? Whenever my pup is being bad I put her in her pen and ignore her/not let her continue playing with the thing she wants to play with. I don't really scold or anything I just remove her from the situation. She has a crate but I don't crate her for time out since I don't want her association that with bad things, I just put her in a penned off area.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
I have a 3 year old, 11lb, desexed, male Havanese who is developing some problems with other dogs. He has always been shy, even in puppy school and socialising he preferred to sit under my legs and didn't really want anything to do with the other dogs. Over the last few years he has remained aloof, when we go for walks he would mostly ignore other dogs. A few times over the last few months he has had big dogs lunge at him including one who broke off its leash and tried to eat him (didn't actually injure him though).

I tried taking him to the local dog park a few times to interact with the very friendly dogs there but he would just cower or hide behind me. I tried giving him treats to encourage him to even let the other dogs sniff him but he wanted nothing to do with it.

If we are on a walk and he sees a dog in someone's front yard but behind a fence he will happily greet them and play bow / try to play through the fence but if he sees the same dogs being walked he will either bark or try to hide from them.

Over maybe the last month his behaviour has gotten worse so now whenever we are out of the house and see another dog, Neon has started going absolute ballistic, no matter how big or small they are or if they're ignoring him or not. I have been trying to teach him to ignore other dogs by using high value treats (scraps of chicken). Whenever a dog is approaching I say 'focus' and hold the treat in front of him. It gets him to keep walking forward and he will walk straight past a dog if there's a piece of chicken being held in front of his nose. I've been doing this for a few weeks and have tried only treating every other time he successfully 'focuses' but still using heaps of verbal praise but as soon as there's no treat offered he goes right back to barking like a maniac and pulling on his leash :(

At this point I'm really lost as to how to correct this behaviour and would love some advice. I understand his barking has come from fear and being barked at by a lot of bigger, poorly-trained dogs and his natural shyness but it's starting to affect my ability to take him out and socialise him (and it's embarrassing having an aggro barking tinydog) and I want to teach him that other dogs are not all dog-Hitler and even if he can't be they're friends he can just ignore them.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

cyberia posted:

Over maybe the last month his behaviour has gotten worse so now whenever we are out of the house and see another dog, Neon has started going absolute ballistic, no matter how big or small they are or if they're ignoring him or not. I have been trying to teach him to ignore other dogs by using high value treats (scraps of chicken). Whenever a dog is approaching I say 'focus' and hold the treat in front of him. It gets him to keep walking forward and he will walk straight past a dog if there's a piece of chicken being held in front of his nose. I've been doing this for a few weeks and have tried only treating every other time he successfully 'focuses' but still using heaps of verbal praise but as soon as there's no treat offered he goes right back to barking like a maniac and pulling on his leash :(

At this point I'm really lost as to how to correct this behaviour and would love some advice. I understand his barking has come from fear and being barked at by a lot of bigger, poorly-trained dogs and his natural shyness but it's starting to affect my ability to take him out and socialise him (and it's embarrassing having an aggro barking tinydog) and I want to teach him that other dogs are not all dog-Hitler and even if he can't be they're friends he can just ignore them.

Go look up the 'look at that' and 'u-turn' games from Control Unleashed. Basically you teach your dog to glance momentarily at the scary thing then give them a treat for LAT. U-turn is basically when another dog is walking up you say your cue, turn the other way, start walking and treat before you get close enough for him to react. Both of these require you to be outside of the reaction threshold, and by practicing you can gradually get the threshold lower. There's a lot of walking away from other dogs and finding creative detours in order to work on this effectively.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Do you guys have any advice for dog owner's remorse/anxiety re: the massive change in my life?

I adopted Apollo Tuesday, it's Saturday now, and he's the best possible dog. Mostly obedient (doesn't pull at the leash unless he's chasing a frog, knows his name now, only chews on furniture when bored), quiet, friendly with people...

He's a one and a half year old german shepard/husky(?) mix and I love him...

...but the massive change to my life is freaking me out. 5+ walks a day, feeding him at 6am/pm, keeping an eye on him the rest of the time, walks at midnight, worrying over when he'll poo poo...

I feel like I need to put him away for a day and recuperate. Or give him back to the shelter so my life can go back to normal. But. He's so good and good for me (walks are amazing exercise) that I don't want to let my broke-brain give my dog away.

Tell me it gets easier? Or at least tell me crate training will be easy, because I need to do that or I can't leave the house without locking him in a bathroom or finding out if it's okay to put him on a long lead outside in the yard and leave him there.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Maybe you should take some Xanax or smoke some weed. I don't know why you think you'll adapt to a new schedule so fast regardless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

Do you guys have any advice for dog owner's remorse/anxiety re: the massive change in my life?

I adopted Apollo Tuesday, it's Saturday now, and he's the best possible dog. Mostly obedient (doesn't pull at the leash unless he's chasing a frog, knows his name now, only chews on furniture when bored), quiet, friendly with people...

He's a one and a half year old german shepard/husky(?) mix and I love him...

...but the massive change to my life is freaking me out. 5+ walks a day, feeding him at 6am/pm, keeping an eye on him the rest of the time, walks at midnight, worrying over when he'll poo poo...

I feel like I need to put him away for a day and recuperate. Or give him back to the shelter so my life can go back to normal. But. He's so good and good for me (walks are amazing exercise) that I don't want to let my broke-brain give my dog away.

Tell me it gets easier? Or at least tell me crate training will be easy, because I need to do that or I can't leave the house without locking him in a bathroom or finding out if it's okay to put him on a long lead outside in the yard and leave him there.

settle down and just pet the dog