Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Reported we aren't allowed to talk about ourselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

H110Hawk posted:

Reported we aren't allowed to talk about ourselves.

:discourse:

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

canyoneer posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/6z6kpi/is_my_dad_making_the_wrong_decision_by_investing/
Is my dad making the wrong decision by investing $50,000 in this real estate workshop? Is it a scam? (self.personalfinance)
submitted 4 days ago * by catboy96

If you have to ask "is this a scam?" the answer is always "yes"

Trump University still going strong!

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Krispy Kareem posted:

I know people like this. Not $17k bad, but holy poo poo the money they've spent.

I don't think it's the games as much as having stuff no one else has and filling up whole wall shelving units with box after box. It's a form of hoarding. A friend of mine will bring all kinds of obscure and overly complex board games to get togethers when all I want to play is Axis & Allies.

I've seen a few that have a regular play of something like 6 hours. And that is if everyone knows what they are doing. I can't imagine a boardgame that fun that 6 hours would be enjoyable.

Local bad with money, I live in a duplex that was recently sold and purchased. The guy who bought it lives in the other half and I don't think he has any idea what he is doing. For instance, he hasn't been buy once to talk to me about paperwork, getting contact info or anything. Also, he said since his payments don't start until Oct, I didn't need to pay rent last month.
I'm not complaining about saving a bunch of money, but I'm pretty sure that isn't how rentals work.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

cowofwar posted:

Dude is hosed forever. A lot of these people have huge incomes for a couple years and then it dries up leaving them no way to pay the back taxes. Basically Dave Foley and why he can't come back to Canada.

I thought Dave Foley's BWM was getting divorced while he was at the absolute peak of his earnings (between Newsradio and Bugs Life) and the judge setting alimony based on that. So he paid his taxes, but that alimony didn't adjust downward as he transitioned from sitcom and movie lead to "guy getting guest roles on Becker".

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

CitizenKain posted:

I've seen a few that have a regular play of something like 6 hours. And that is if everyone knows what they are doing. I can't imagine a boardgame that fun that 6 hours would be enjoyable.

Advanced civilization and the colonists both fit that description. There aren't a huge number outside of wargames.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Fil5000 posted:

I thought Dave Foley's BWM was getting divorced while he was at the absolute peak of his earnings (between Newsradio and Bugs Life) and the judge setting alimony based on that. So he paid his taxes, but that alimony didn't adjust downward as he transitioned from sitcom and movie lead to "guy getting guest roles on Becker".

Bad with lawyers too I guess. My divorce agreement specifically stipulated that if I start making less money the alimony gets renegotiated.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

brugroffil posted:

Trump University still going strong!

Somehow, Trump University was less of a scam than this. Trump University only charged $35,000 per session.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Volmarias posted:

Bad with lawyers too I guess. My divorce agreement specifically stipulated that if I start making less money the alimony gets renegotiated.

I think he said in his WTF interview that it's some quirk of Canadaian family law. I've no idea how accurate that is though.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Fil5000 posted:

I think he said in his WTF interview that it's some quirk of Canadaian family law. I've no idea how accurate that is though.

It's not. I'm in Canada and my agreement is revisited every year to equalize.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

It's not. I'm in Canada and my agreement is revisited every year to equalize.

Fair enough. Man, I guess that means he just didn't pay his alimony then, which sucks.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Fil5000 posted:

Fair enough. Man, I guess that means he just didn't pay his alimony then, which sucks.

It could suck for one year, because typically f.e. 2020's payments are based on 2019's income, so if you spent all of 2019's money then 2020 payments could dramatically exceed your cash flow.

My ex-wife and I actually equalize whenever one of our salaries changes, but it's simpler and more common to do it annually looking back a year, and that's what our agreement requires as a minimum. (Child support by law is formulaic based on previous year's income, but I don't know if they have kids.)

It's possible to put minimums in spousal support, so if the paying spouse decides to quit their job the payee isn't screwed. Maybe he did that, badly?

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
Did we already post the thrilling conclusion to Onision's aggressive tax stances?

https://youtu.be/v2FWNZhyPLY

Edit: I think this has been posted already. I guess I'm just seeing it for the first time now and holy moly, this individual is pretty entitled to think that his own logic warrants a pass on federal tax laws.

19 o'clock fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Sep 15, 2017

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Lease Option Loan?
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/70a426/lease_option_loan/

quote:

Is it possible to get a loan for a lease option agreement down payment? What are some alternatives?
I've been in the works of buying a house/bar in Puerto Rico. It's both a house and bar on the same property (I'm not even sure what kind regular loan would be for this) . The owners have been willing to work out a 3 year lease option agreement with me. I don't have much saved and my credit is fair-good. In total I only need $35k down and I'm curious what some options are for making it happen. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

How long before contacting radio ad to clear credit card debt?
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/70a8ro/how_long_before_contacting_radio_ad_to_clear/

quote:

I heard an ad on a radio that said that you don't have to pay your credit card debt. I already had a lot of debt, so this sounded good. I maxed out the cards I had left with some stuff that I needed to get the most out of it.

I called the people from the ad and they told me that they couldn't help me yet. That I needed to stop paying my credit cards first and then to call them back and they would help me.
They said it could depend on the card company how long that takes. Each company is different. Does anyone know how long this will take? I've got a Mastercard and 3 Visas.
And how will it impact my credit score? I was thinking about getting a new truck soon, so should I do that first or after?
Thanks

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

The best part here is "how will this impact my credit score?". I used to work collections for a bank and the number of people that would go over their overdraft limit and miss three loan payments and then yell at me because they had a bad credit score was silly. THESE MISSED MORTGAGE PAYMENTS ARE IMPACTING MY CREDIT SCORE. Yeah, they are, good, that means it's working.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Follow up:

Some Idiot posted:

Okay. If I get a truck first (a nice one thats gonna last a while. Looking at some of the new F250s and they are looking good) they can't take it away as long as I can still make payments right?
They will just take the credit cards debt away. And no credit for a while? I just maxed out all my cards before doing this to get the most benefit and still plan on doing it since I don't use credit for anything but a truck. Probably can't pay the new minimums.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

I WAS JUST POSTING THIS.

Only one comment so far, but pretty good.

quote:

This company is going to send you into default, which will destroy your credit. Then they will negotiate a payoff amount with your creditors. This is a horrible way to manage debt.
Your credit is going to be ruined for years to come. If you go down this road don't plan on taking out a loan anytime soon.

Okay. If I get a truck first (a nice one thats gonna last a while. Looking at some of the new F250s and they are looking good) they can't take it away as long as I can still make payments right?
They will just take the credit cards debt away. And no credit for a while? I just maxed out all my cards before doing this to get the most benefit and still plan on doing it since I don't use credit for anything but a truck. Probably can't pay the new minimums.

Edit: Second comment.

quote:

If you are in over your head with credit cards the last thing you want to do is buy a new pickup truck. I would imagine your credit is already bad if you have a bunch of maxed out cards and missed payments. If you do get approved for a loan the rate will be terrible. If you need a vehicle you should buy a used car for cheap, just a few thousand dollars.

You are still going to have to make payments to this debt company. If you can't make those payments then you will go bankrupt and lose your truck. How much your payments to this company will be depend on what fee they charge you and how much they are able to negotiate down your debt.

What you really need to do is balance your budget. Figure out where you spend all your money and see what you can cut to lower expenses. Then see what you can do to raise your income. I will repeat again, buying a new truck right now is about the worst decision you can make. You are either heading towards bankruptcy (likely) or many many years of high interest debt which will ruin your ability to get ahead in life, buy a home, have a family or do anything else.

I just maxed the cards 2 days ago. So I need to get the truck before the end of the month right?
CreditKarma says they aren't on there yet. And the truck place cant see them either right?

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Sep 15, 2017

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Oo, that's the good stuff I come for.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAv75JPw-QQ

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Doesn't bankruptcy tend to have a personal vehicle exemption?

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Surely nobody else has figured out you can just not pay your credit cards, right?

CHECK OUT THIS ONE WEIRD TRICK, SMART PEOPLE HATE HIM

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Hoodwinker posted:

Surely nobody else has figured out you can just not pay your credit cards, right?

CHECK OUT THIS ONE WEIRD TRICK, SMART PEOPLE HATE HIM

If it wasn't legit, then why did they have an ad on the radio?

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

If it wasn't legit, then why did they have an ad on the radio?
No, money down!

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I am starting a block chain currency backed by equifax accounts. You earn a coin for every credit card account you successfully open and use to buy an equicoin.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Oo, that's the good stuff I come for.

That can't be real, it's like BWM fentanyl.

pmac
Jun 12, 2007

Elephanthead posted:

I am starting a block chain currency backed by equifax accounts. You earn a coin for every credit card account you successfully open and use to buy an equicoin.

You're bound to make a hayload

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

If we made a coin generated by posts in this thread, we'd all be rich!

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Is bitconnect a scam? Anyone tried it yet?

How can they claim their bot only makes positive trades?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I don't know what bitconnect is but yes I guarantee you that it is definitely a scam.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

BWM: Thinking you're too cool for school

Toronto man 'angry' after learning his $8,100 master's degree that required no exams or academic work is fake
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/fake-degree-toronto-investigation-1.4287347

Choice quotes:

quote:

Erwin Sniedzins doesn't trust traditional universities.

So when the Toronto business management consultant found one offering a master's degree requiring no studying, exams, or academic work — for just $8,100 — Sniedzins thought it was a school sharing his unconventional approach to education.

"I don't necessarily like to pay $30,000 to get a master's when I feel I already have the knowledge," Sniedzins said in an interview with CBC Toronto.

He said the degree issued by Kings Lake University, which he found by searching the internet, is based on his previous life experience and professional accomplishments.

Sniedzins is president and CEO of Mount Knowledge, an educational software company. In his LinkedIn profile, he is described as an "Artificial Intelligence Gamification Patent Inventor, Key Note Speaker, Professor, Author."

quote:

Sniedzins repeatedly told CBC Toronto that he never suspected a degree based on life experience that required no academic work, studying or exams could be fake as it was in line with his approach to education.

quote:

Any doubts Sniedzins may have had were also eased by what appears to be a sworn affidavit, included in his package of documents, supposedly signed by former U.S. secretary of state John Kerry.

"I really feel stupid if that's the case, and I'm angry about it," Sniedzins said. "It's like counterfeit money."

And yet

quote:

Sniedzins advertises the degree on his personal website and LinkedIn profile.

I can see why he'd think it's legit, considering of the two websites, it's his company's site that looks like the scam.
http://www.mountknowledge.ca/
http://www.kingslakeuniversity.org/

Sepherothic
Feb 8, 2003

quote:

He said the degree issued by Kings Lake University, which he found by searching the internet, is based on his previous life experience and professional accomplishments.

You are about to witness the power of an M.S. in Street Knowledge.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Doesn't bankruptcy tend to have a personal vehicle exemption?

I filed once and got to keep my car.

Granted, it and the student loan were the only things I made payments on for a year while attorney was getting paid and the bk was pending.

I was asked 5 times in court if I could afford the payments. Answered yes each time. It was a used Honda Civic I was paying $221 a month for, so we're not talking a brand new F250.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

blackmet posted:

I filed once and got to keep my car.

Granted, it and the student loan were the only things I made payments on for a year while attorney was getting paid and the bk was pending.

I was asked 5 times in court if I could afford the payments. Answered yes each time. It was a used Honda Civic I was paying $221 a month for, so we're not talking a brand new F250.

Yeah, I think they generally should have exemptions for reasonable allowances (like a personal vehicle or home ownership), but they can waive those exemptions if it's considered unreasonable (like a $50k truck when all you need is a <$10k car to get to work, or a modest house instead of a giant mcmansion).

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Lol home ownership is a reasonable asset? Go back to renting

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Mantle posted:

Lol home ownership is a reasonable asset? Go back to renting
Source your quotes

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
well you'll probably keep your home, for a while anyway, you'd just give up most of the equity you have in it

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Sirotan posted:

I can see why he'd think it's legit, considering of the two websites, it's his company's site that looks like the scam.

lmao this testimonial source:

quote:

Mr. Bruce Miles, MBA, Head of Special Education Department with the Toronto District School Board at Frank Oak Middle School

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Sirotan posted:

It's a perfectly cromulent business!

quote:

The Knowledge Generator™ product was developed with various software user-interface enablers to promote the utilization of several of the user’s senses during the learning process; to see (visualize), listen, compose, speak, reply and interact and react to information by keyboard touch, sound and voice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

canyoneer posted:

$17k on board game kickstarters :stare:

Bargain Hunter - $70