Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Gritty
Sep 19, 2011

This Machine Kills Fascists

Folly posted:

Turbo tax has an audit risk indicator as part of the summary. There's no way his wouldn't have been all the way in the red, probably with a klaxon.

He claims it was in the green every year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Folly
May 26, 2010
I don't believe it. Earning more than $200k per year and having home/auto business deductions and depreciation should get you to yellow at least.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.
That guy is the biggest douche and I hope the government goes down on him hard. Why do people watch his stupid poo poo and support him. YouTube is a plague on humanity.

LOLOL and in his video he mentions starting a Kickstarter to help pay his tax bill. What an idiot.

Drunk Tomato fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Sep 14, 2017

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Can't wait for a follow-up audit in 2020 finding that he didn't declare the kickstarter income and claimed his 150k+ back taxes as tax deductibles for fiscal year 2017.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Steampunk Hitler posted:

If he underpaid by six figures, does that means he had a 7 figure income? If so, it is astounding to me that someone with a 7 figure income thought that a lowest common denominator web app was going to be a smart idea for them.

If I had to guess, I would say that he made $100k - $300k per year but he seems to have deducted just about everything he bought as a "business expense" over several years, which can add up fast.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
There's no way that this guy didn't know what he was doing.

He claims that it was perfectly reasonable to write off trips to the movies for "professional inspiration" and his lawnmower as a business expense.

He had to have known what he was doing and is just going all the way to defend himself because he didn't think he would ever get caught.

"I thought it made total sense that I made $300,000 a year and got a tax refund. I paid my social security and medicare taxes and bought a house! Why wouldn't I get a refund?"

Comrade Gritty
Sep 19, 2011

This Machine Kills Fascists

Droo posted:

If I had to guess, I would say that he made $100k - $300k per year but he seems to have deducted just about everything he bought as a "business expense" over several years, which can add up fast.

Ah, I missed that this was over several years. He was making it sound to me like it was a single years worth of issues.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Wow, bitcoin lost nearly $550 in value in 10 hours today. That's almost impressively bad.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Nocheez posted:

Wow, bitcoin lost nearly $550 in value in 10 hours today. That's almost impressively bad.

:rolleyes: Pfffft, look at this slave forced to buy into Big Currency. This is just the third bear trap. People with savvy and real insight are buying up as much as they can right now. Sorry sheeple, this is one battle that intelligence will win. :smug:

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Steampunk Hitler posted:

Ah, I missed that this was over several years. He was making it sound to me like it was a single years worth of issues.

Also IRS penalties and interest can easily double a tax bill, especially if you are as willfully stupid as this guy.

And there's state, if he's in one that has taxes, which odds are he is.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

canyoneer posted:

The only one I've seen that makes sense is for pharmaceuticals and counterfeit drugs. There's some big resources getting spent around it.

Why? They are produced by a known source if they are legitimate. Why do you need BLOCKCHAIN TECHNOLOGY to store lot numbers, and how does this prevent counterfeiters from simply using the same lot numbers?

Blinky2099
May 27, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I still think bitcoins are dumb and have never touched them, but I also laugh when goons have been getting super upset about them since they were like literally $7/coin (as far back as I can remember reading SA threads about them) and have gone up and up and up while the BTC fanboys make money and goons still make fun of them and they've gone up literally 500x the value since I read my first SA GBS post about them.

Yeah, I know, people getting lucky buying bitcoins does not mean they made a good decision, gambling and winning does not make them smart, decisions need to be evaluated without being results oriented.... but still funny.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
/r/bitcoin

quote:

For every attack on the integrity of BTC by the global banksters and fiat fanatics... I am only emboldened.

For every percentage down BTC has gone since Jamie DEMON made his first broadside, I have invested $1,000 of my inheritance into BTC.

Up to $24,000 so far. Have about $48,000 more.

Dad always told me to never back down from a bully. There ain't no bully bigger than the FED.

We are bitcoiners. We are legion. And we won't take attacks like this laying down.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Dude is hosed forever. A lot of these people have huge incomes for a couple years and then it dries up leaving them no way to pay the back taxes. Basically Dave Foley and why he can't come back to Canada.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Blinky2099 posted:

I still think bitcoins are dumb and have never touched them, but I also laugh when goons have been getting super upset about them since they were like literally $7/coin (as far back as I can remember reading SA threads about them) and have gone up and up and up while the BTC fanboys make money and goons still make fun of them and they've gone up literally 500x the value since I read my first SA GBS post about them.

Yeah, I know, people getting lucky buying bitcoins does not mean they made a good decision, gambling and winning does not make them smart, decisions need to be evaluated without being results oriented.... but still funny.
Replace "bitcoin" with "tulips."

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Guillotine all Youtube "personalities" IMO

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Didn't we just have a long discussion on how difficult to near impossible it is to get large amounts of bitcoin converted?

Sub bitcoin for csgo skins.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Nail Rat posted:

Guillotine all Youtube "personalities" IMO

Lighting and make-up. One of the few things he can probably legitimately claim as deductible.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Folly posted:

I don't believe it. Earning more than $200k per year and having home/auto business deductions and depreciation should get you to yellow at least.

Given everything else that he seems to have done, I am willing to bet that he didn't understand how the ticker worked. I mean this is a guy who tried to deduct his divorce as a business expense, got audited, and then decided that he still didn't need a real accountant for his hundreds of thousands of dollars.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Blinky2099 posted:

You could make a better case talking about the 'has 50,000,000,000 posts in the "Laff at Bitcoin Thread Vol. MMCCCXLVI Edition" thread - with their own gang tags, a custom emoticon, and their own impenetrable intra-thread memes - but still thinks bitcoiners are totally crazy!!!' goons.

...yes, I'm enjoying hurling these stones around in my big glass house, thank you

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Motronic posted:

Why? They are produced by a known source if they are legitimate. Why do you need BLOCKCHAIN TECHNOLOGY to store lot numbers, and how does this prevent counterfeiters from simply using the same lot numbers?

I'm not a pharma industry expert or a supply chain expert or a blockchain expert, but I work with some of those experts.
The idea is that it provides an auditable chain of custody from start to finish. There are some pretty gnarly penalties coming up for pharma companies in the US if their supply chain gets screwed up.

http://pharmaceuticalcommerce.com/information-technology/blockchain-technology-make-dscsa-work-2023/

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Bitcoin values would make a lot more sense if they were tied to a more practical standard, such as shady Chinese research chemicals or stolen Amazon gift cards

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Blinky2099 posted:

Nobody's getting super upset over bitcoins, they're laughing their asses off/rolling their eyes at bitcoin true believers.

These are people who unironically believe the USD will collapse any day now, leaving bitcoin to suddenly become the currency of the masses. And who swear up and down that bitcoin & blockchain technology have 'uses' in a bunch of things where it adds zero value to 99% of people. And who think there's a massive government/banking conspiracy to crush plucky lil' bitcoin. And who constantly say things showing they have zero idea how the economy works.

CheesyDog posted:

Bitcoin values would make a lot more sense if they were tied to a more practical standard, such as shady Chinese research chemicals or stolen Amazon gift cards
You mean it's not already backed by drugs? :confused:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

canyoneer posted:

I'm not a pharma industry expert or a supply chain expert or a blockchain expert, but I work with some of those experts.
The idea is that it provides an auditable chain of custody from start to finish. There are some pretty gnarly penalties coming up for pharma companies in the US if their supply chain gets screwed up.

http://pharmaceuticalcommerce.com/information-technology/blockchain-technology-make-dscsa-work-2023/

Maybe I'm too stupid to figure it out, but I'm failing to see how a blockchain is necessary when all of this comes down to inventory/supply chain management. Secure, auditable ledgers are already a thing that don't require idiotic amounts of wasted processing power doing "proof of work" calculations that serve no purpose other than to inefficiently commit transactions to the ledger.

If the companies themselves can't be trusted to maintain the integrity of the ledger the FDA should give clear guidelines on just how arms-length a service provider would need to be and/or create the system themselves and compel everyone in the supply chain to participate.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

canyoneer posted:

Not really seeing how a block chain does something a database doesn't. Bar codes and RFIDs have been a thing for a while now.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Bitcoin is a solution looking for a problem.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Bottom Liner posted:

Guy spends upwards of $17k on Kickstarter in 2 years and only likes 4 of the games he got:

https://www.reddit.com/r/boardgames/comments/700jrz/an_epiphany_after_25_years_backing_board_games_on/

He reveals in the comments that he probably spent a lot more in pledge managers because he went all in because of FOMO. JFC he spent $177 on Star Realms Frontiers alone. I'm starting to think that Kickstarter is just like F2P games; the majority of the money comes from the whales that will throw money at anything aimed at nerds.

$17k on board game kickstarters :stare:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

cowofwar posted:

Bitcoin is a solution looking for a problem.

I like this.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

FrozenVent posted:

Not really seeing how a block chain does something a database doesn't. Bar codes and RFIDs have been a thing for a while now.

The only thing I can see is transactional integrity (in theory) - can't roll them back. But of course you can if you control most of the processing power on the blockchain.

This type of integrity has been a solved problem for a very long time now. Once ink on paper ledgers weren't fas of flexible enough people were literally leaving a line printer in a secure room putting ink on paper as each transaction posted. There are more software solutions to that now, but honestly it's still not a bad idea.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

Folly posted:

I don't use TurboTax anymore but it wouldn't surprise me if that was true. The guy was (likely) a sole proprietor with hundreds of thousands in Schedule C expenses. Which means that not only was he running one of the most tax inefficient entities you can get but also one of the highest audit risks imaginable (because his deductions would reduce his tax rate so much).

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

He claims that it was perfectly reasonable to write off trips to the movies for "professional inspiration" and his lawnmower as a business expense.

He had to have known what he was doing and is just going all the way to defend himself because he didn't think he would ever get caught.

"I thought it made total sense that I made $300,000 a year and got a tax refund. I paid my social security and medicare taxes and bought a house! Why wouldn't I get a refund?"

The thing is that he DID get caught before because he got audited when he tried to write off his loving divorce as a business expense. He' s just an idiot.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/6z6kpi/is_my_dad_making_the_wrong_decision_by_investing/
Is my dad making the wrong decision by investing $50,000 in this real estate workshop? Is it a scam? (self.personalfinance)
submitted 4 days ago * by catboy96

quote:

So my dad paid $800 for a real estate workshop over the weekend and he's asking me if he should give them the $50,000 they're asking for in exchange for information on how to make money off of tax liens and deeds as well as how to "flip homes", etc...
It seems too good to be true to me but he seems convinced. Does anyone have any experience with "REW advanced training" ? They have different packages ranging from $35,000-$50,000 offering real estate search software and services like that.
Anything would help. The last workshop is tomorrow and I don't want him making a poor decision. He's been unemployed for a while so he's desperate.
Edit: Thank you to the fellow Redditor who sent me that scam review link. My 50 y/o old man is utterly grateful considering he was going to actually do it.
Edit #2: I appreciate the responses, thank you. However does anyone know what my dad can do for work? He doesn't have a college degree but has 20+ years experience in healthcare management. He's way overqualified for everything he applies to...

If you have to ask "is this a scam?" the answer is always "yes"

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

canyoneer posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/6z6kpi/is_my_dad_making_the_wrong_decision_by_investing/
Is my dad making the wrong decision by investing $50,000 in this real estate workshop? Is it a scam? (self.personalfinance)
submitted 4 days ago * by catboy96

If you have to ask "is this a scam?" the answer is always "yes"

Why does paying $50,000 for a couple of books and an MLS feed sound "too good to be true"????

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Why do you think he paid social security and Medicare taxes?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Drunk Tomato posted:

Why does paying $50,000 for a couple of books and an MLS feed sound "too good to be true"????

That pretty much describes Trump's "University" that got him sued by a bunch of states.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

ohgodwhat posted:

He's not a monster.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

ohgodwhat posted:

Probably an accident.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
This is usually how I feel when people start talking about bitcoin:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

canyoneer posted:

$17k on board game kickstarters :stare:

I know people like this. Not $17k bad, but holy poo poo the money they've spent.

I don't think it's the games as much as having stuff no one else has and filling up whole wall shelving units with box after box. It's a form of hoarding. A friend of mine will bring all kinds of obscure and overly complex board games to get togethers when all I want to play is Axis & Allies.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Yeah but a and a is so...

Okay I guess this is the wrong thread that that Reddit link was posted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

Krispy Kareem posted:

I know people like this. Not $17k bad, but holy poo poo the money they've spent.

I don't think it's the games as much as having stuff no one else has and filling up whole wall shelving units with box after box. It's a form of hoarding. A friend of mine will bring all kinds of obscure and overly complex board games to get togethers when all I want to play is Axis & Allies.

Only registered members can see post attachments!