Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Nevermind that bullshit, now we got Tanahashi vs Ibushi! :hellyeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

The Cameo posted:

edit: also I’m gonna guess they’re gonna do Suzuki/Elgin for the NEVER title with some “no Suzuki-gun” thing that forces them to go one on one as a rubber match at Wrestle Kingdom.

*whispers* cage match

make it happen gedo

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
that was the first top to bottom NJPW card I watched since the first night of the G1 and it was pretty dang fun! I mostly had it on English commentary as background noise while I played games but Kushida/Desperado and Funky Future/Suzuki-Gun were both surprisingly rad matches

also what the hell is tanahashi doing

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

God if they did a cage match I think I would have to blow the ridiculous amount of cash it would cost at this point to have a Japanese New Year by virtue of how ridiculous that would be.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I really enjoyed the show but this is the second time this year they built Suzuki Gun as a threat then had them lose all their matches.

Also apparently KUSHIDA really did drive to the show in a Delorean and that wasn't just Kevin Kelly making a joke

https://twitter.com/njpwglobal/status/908970799633113088

GEORGE W BUSHI fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Sep 16, 2017

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
So what does Tanahashi do at the Dome? Seems like Ibushi should win next month. I suppose Kenny could interfere and cost him the match, but was kind of hoping they'd stick to more untraditional storytelling to build their match.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

sigmachiev posted:

So what does Tanahashi do at the Dome? Seems like Ibushi should win next month. I suppose Kenny could interfere and cost him the match, but was kind of hoping they'd stick to more untraditional storytelling to build their match.

I had been thinking Tana/Cody after the G1 but the belts were an issue; Tana doesn't need to be holding the IC belt (or wrestling at all but Tana gonna Tana) and he doesn't need a third-straight high profile Dome loss. ROH also doesn't need it's world belt trading hands at Wrassle Kingdome again, even if ROH Champ Hiroshi Tanahashi would be cool just for a lineage moment. I guess you could have Cody drop the ROH belt, to who I don't know or care, and have Tana defend the IC strap against Cody, but I think you could build to that match and get an IC defense from somewhere else on the card.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Tana and Juice win the tag league and challenge for the belts at the dome

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I'd guess Suzuki? Maybe he helps Elgin fight off the Suzuki gun bullshit next time they fight and Elgin wins the NEVER title letting Suzuki challenge Tanahashi for the Intercontinental title.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
You could have Ibushi beat Tana, Kenny loses the US belt to someone and run that as your IC match, though it would feel like belt hot-swapping for Kenny and I'm sure they'd rather give him a long US title run to establish it before it inevitably falls to NEVER levels.

There is the possibility that Kenny/Ibushi isn't in the cards for Wrassle Kingdome but considering how much of a commitment-phobe Ibushi is you've got to strike whenever the iron is hot there.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

C. Everett Koop posted:

I had been thinking Tana/Cody after the G1 but the belts were an issue; Tana doesn't need to be holding the IC belt (or wrestling at all but Tana gonna Tana) and he doesn't need a third-straight high profile Dome loss. ROH also doesn't need it's world belt trading hands at Wrassle Kingdome again, even if ROH Champ Hiroshi Tanahashi would be cool just for a lineage moment. I guess you could have Cody drop the ROH belt, to who I don't know or care, and have Tana defend the IC strap against Cody, but I think you could build to that match and get an IC defense from somewhere else on the card.

Tananashi is at a point in his career where he should be in the second biggest match on the Dome show and should be losing. He's a giant star who isn't the guy anymore, that's kind of his role until you decide to give him that one last big run.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

MassRafTer posted:

Tananashi is at a point in his career where he should be in the second biggest match on the Dome show and should be losing. He's a giant star who isn't the guy anymore, that's kind of his role until you decide to give him that one last big run.

Except I think that putting Kenny in that position gives greater benefits than Tanahashi at this point. Okada/Naito on top is the no-brainer, Kenny going over in the semi-main, and Tana either putting Kenny over in that semi or going before the last two matches.

Tana's passed over the ace title to Okada but he's not in the full Cena "I'm part-time and need to start putting everyone over unless they're trash" role. You can put Tana over someone like Cody and the latter will be fine, especially if they do the eventual Bullet Club split/civil war. They do need to get the IC belt off of Tana before too long, if only for his own good.

Willninho
Aug 14, 2007
I'm generally ok with the english commentary but I had to give up on Kevin Kelly by himself in one match.

EDIT: I really like Yujiro/Chase Owens as an undercard team.

Willninho fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Sep 16, 2017

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
I was hoping Ishii would get Suzuki at the dome for the Never belt. Like Tana/Juice challenging for the tag belts, but seems too small potatoes for Tana. Guess it doesn't matter all that much since the top 2 are so killer (assuming Ibushi doesn't bail)

No Luck Needed
Mar 18, 2015

Ravel Crew

Baron Corbyn posted:

Poor Trent (e: beaten)

Bets on who Roppongi 3K are? Tempura Boyz?

could it be Jeff Cobb and Matt Riddle?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

no, it's a single person and it's a junior.

Ishin
Dec 31, 2008

~the animatronic spirit of
so many forgotten waves

Super No Vacancy posted:

It is a junior but I thought he said he was just coaching the team not an active tag team member.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Ishin posted:

It is a junior but I thought he said he was just coaching the team not an active tag team member.
That's how I understood what he said as well.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Super No Vacancy posted:

its def two people. he kept saying "they" when describing them and that he was bringing them in.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

taguchi is also the 'coach' of his team

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Super No Vacancy posted:

taguchi is also the 'coach' of his team

There's a lot of good poo poo happening in NJPW right now but Taguchi Japan and Funky Future specifically are really working for me.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
https://twitter.com/MrLARIATO/status/884192347763990528

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Charles Gnarwin posted:

There's a lot of good poo poo happening in NJPW right now but Taguchi Japan and Funky Future specifically are really working for me.

Taguchi countering the Meltzer driver with a springboard butt tackle is beauty.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

The thing that drags down Taguchi Japan for me is such a small thing but why is it that Ricochet gets 88 for the squad numbers when KUSHIDA is in the team and has his whole Marty McFly cosplayer thing going on? It annoys me almost as much as someone suggesting the name "Delorean Driver" for the small package driver and then it being named the "Back to the Future". I guess him driving up to the arena in a Delorean makes up for it but I'm still so so mad about those things.

Also Iizuka biting Taguchi's arse. That was great.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Back To The Future is a great name for the move, though?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Baron Corbyn posted:

The thing that drags down Taguchi Japan for me is such a small thing but why is it that Ricochet gets 88 for the squad numbers when KUSHIDA is in the team and has his whole Marty McFly cosplayer thing going on? It annoys me almost as much as someone suggesting the name "Delorean Driver" for the small package driver and then it being named the "Back to the Future". I guess him driving up to the arena in a Delorean makes up for it but I'm still so so mad about those things.

Also Iizuka biting Taguchi's arse. That was great.

Maybe he loves Hitler.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

nope

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
i kinda wish el desperado didn't lose the full mask, i mean i fully understand WHY he did but the full mask just looks so cool. rest of the look is top notch though.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Gaz-L posted:

Back To The Future is a great name for the move, though?

I love puns and Delorean Driver is a great pun.

shiksa posted:

i kinda wish el desperado didn't lose the full mask, i mean i fully understand WHY he did but the full mask just looks so cool. rest of the look is top notch though.

the painted face looks badass too though, and when he ripped off the mask the full painted face looked cool. I'd have no complaints about him wrestling like that.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Baron Corbyn posted:

the painted face looks badass too though, and when he ripped off the mask the full painted face looked cool. I'd have no complaints about him wrestling like that.

yeah i posted that before the match started, i really enjoyed that bit though.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Baron Corbyn posted:

harder to yell out in Japanese though.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
ricochet was born in 1988

thus 88

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

KungFu Grip posted:

thus 88
But Taguchi wasn't born in 1969... :thunk:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

frankenfreak posted:

Sydal: I was born at exactly 4:2-
Goes to jail

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Sydal: I was born at exactly 4:2-
Goes to jail

Nahhh, there's plenty of people here who wear stuff with pot leafs or other first-year-uni stoner stuff. It's just the actual product itself that's kinda definitely seriously a no-no.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

harperdc posted:

Nahhh, there's plenty of people here who wear stuff with pot leafs or other first-year-uni stoner stuff. It's just the actual product itself that's kinda definitely seriously a no-no.

Sydal: All right Matt, you can do this. Just gotta go a week without actuall-
Goes to jail

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

Goes to jail

I'm picturing it like that sequence from The Lost Weekend that gets homaged all the time. Just Sydal wandering through Tokyo at 2am, seeing pot leaf tees, 'decorative hookahs' and vape shops everywhere he turns...

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

Goes to jail

It's why I'd be very hesitant about bringing Riddle over, simply because he seems like the kind of guy who's absolutely sure he can beat the system and smuggle his herb over and gets caught in a matter of seconds.

Like at most maybe the Dome and New Year's Dash and it's in and out in 72 hours. But a tour, and especially a long brutal one like the G1? Asking him to go a month and work that schedule without his painkiller of choice? That's a gamble I wouldn't be willing to take.

Troxartas
Jan 13, 2007

The Old Warhorse

frankenfreak posted:

Taguchi was 69th jr. champ, and that's when he started getting all funky weapon and weird

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

harperdc posted:

harder to yell out in Japanese though.

fair point

KungFu Grip posted:

thus 88

I got that part. It's just a boring reason for him to have 88 when KUSHIDA has a more fun reason. Why is KUSHIDA 94 anyway? I looked him on Wikipedia and he used to have a move called 9469 but I can't figure out why. Also is there any story behind the other numbers? I know Tanahashi has 1/100.

• Locked thread