Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEzhxP-pdos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Malek posted:

Shed-yule being Schedule.

That's historically how the word was pronounced, and still is outside the USA - "sked-ule" was an American mispronouciation that came about because America had a much higer literacy rate than the rest of the English speaking world and so people first saw the word on the page, rather than hearing it, and assumed that it'd be pronounced the same way that "school" is.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

ookiimarukochan posted:

That's historically how the word was pronounced, and still is outside the USA - "sked-ule" was an American mispronouciation that came about because America had a much higer literacy rate than the rest of the English speaking world and so people first saw the word on the page, rather than hearing it, and assumed that it'd be pronounced the same way that "school" is.

As a general rule for life, if you hear someone mispronounce a word in a way that only makes sense that they're going by how it looks written out, give them a break. It means they're reading things that the people they know don't talk about. They're reaching for expand their experiences, and made the smartest mistake possible as a consequence.

I still remember talking to someone who said he was looking for clerical work, but pronounced it slerical, like citrus. I really hope that guy found a job.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
Tickets came in:

Now that it's mostly over I have time to post this...

I have a customer and they were preparing for the iPhone launch a few days ago and the whole process revealed how much work I have to do in the "educate the customer how to cloud" department.

Case 1:

When I asked them for a list of all their load balancers that should be orewarmed for the event, they replied with "just prewarm all of them". Yeah, no. If everything is important than nothing is important.

So they pared it down to a list of 50, which was still too many, and they finally got it down to 12.

Case 2:

When asked for expected traffic, they came back with 50,000 transactions per second at 200k per transaction.

So I asked them if they really expected 10 gig of traffic over each of 12 load balancers?

After analysis, I found that each of these load balancers pointed to exactly one instance in an AZ, six instances total. 120gbps to six medium sized instances.

"Oh, well we are anticipating autoscaling taking care of that!"

Well why prewarm the load balancers in the first place?

Case 3:

"Hey Agrikk, we are using a 40-core RDS Oracle instance for our primary database, and load tests say that it might be CPU constrained. Is there a bigger instance with more cores?"

No, the m4.10xl has the most cores we offer.

"Well can you make a bigger one?"

In two days? No. The EC2 team and facilities and capacity management all have to get together to build, vet and test a new instance size/family/class before release. Even if a business case could be made to create this new size, it'll be months before deployment.

"Do you know who I am? Do you know who we are?"

Yes. You are the CTO and this is $HugeCompany and there still isn't a way to get you more cores.

:sigh:

But the launch was event free from an AWS perspective.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
This article is in a twitter moment today and I thought of you guys <3

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

"Rowdy Sheeter" now means someone who's wild in the sack, and I will hear no different.

spiny
May 20, 2004

round and round and round

Che Delilas posted:

"Rowdy Sheeter" now means someone who's wild in the sack, and I will hear no different.

I'm down with that.

But as a UK chap, I'm still not sure how 'fortnight' is so confusing ?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

spiny posted:

I'm down with that.

But as a UK chap, I'm still not sure how 'fortnight' is so confusing ?
Americans don't use it

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
I will never, not loving ever, use "Do the needful" but I will definitely try to get "your good name" into circulation.

Because I am terrible with names you see

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
[quote="“Agrikk”" post="“476466833”"]
I will never, not loving ever, use “Do the needful” but I will definitely try to get “your good name” into circulation.

Because I am terrible with names you see
[/quote]

But what if I told you that circulating your good name is doing the needful?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Americans will tell you you're being pretentious when you say fortnightly but will immediately turn around and start arguing about how often a bimonthly meeting happens.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Ghostlight posted:

Americans will tell you you're being pretentious when you say fortnightly but will immediately turn around and start arguing about how often a bimonthly meeting happens.

Twice a month.

Every other month is semimonthly.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

e: nm

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

The Fool posted:

Twice a month.

Every other month is semimonthly.

Incorrect. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/semimonthly
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/bimonthly
There is no single term to definitively say every-two-months, and fortnightly doesn't solve that.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Grassy Knowles posted:

There is no single term to definitively say every-two-months, and fortnightly doesn't solve that.

This shall now be "hexanually."

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Every six years?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
quadra-biweekly

something-like-every-60-days-kly

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

[quote="“Methanar”" post="“476468583”"]
quadra-biweekly

something-like-every-60-days-kly
[/quote]

Duotriquarterly

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
The meeting shall transpire at alternating advents of the apex of the orb of night

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
*weed bro*

every two weeks

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Methanar posted:

The meeting shall transpire at alternating advents of the apex of the orb of night

I think I'll just use this one for clarity.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
If you haven't put "The Needful" as a core proficiency on your LinkedIn, you're missing out on amazing job opportunities.

Edit:

Fortynight means once every 18 hours.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.
"Do the needful" just sounds so good to say. It's like "loquacious" or "masticate"

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Moatman posted:

"Do the needful" just sounds so good to say. It's like "loquacious" or "masticate"

I'm at the point of where it no longer registers.

My biggest peeve in dealing with teams in Asia (outsourced or in-house) is trying to get them to understand the following:

You can say "no"
You can say "that won't work"
You can say "I don't know how"
You can say "I don't understand"
and the big one: YOU CAN TELL US WHEN WE'RE WRONG AND CORRECT US

It can get frustrating to be continually told that a vital part of the project is in flight and everything is A-OK, when in reality not only is it NOT OK, but the work to date betrays a fundamental lack of understanding the requirements.

It's taken time and patience to get them to understand that and for us to understand that we need to approach our project work with a different mindset, but I really think we all mostly mesh pretty well these days. But god drat that cultural disconnect was really frustrating until it dawned on a few people what was going on.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Proteus Jones posted:

I'm at the point of where it no longer registers.

My biggest peeve in dealing with teams in Asia (outsourced or in-house) is trying to get them to understand the following:

You can say "no"
You can say "that won't work"
You can say "I don't know how"
You can say "I don't understand"
and the big one: YOU CAN TELL US WHEN WE'RE WRONG AND CORRECT US

It can get frustrating to be continually told that a vital part of the project is in flight and everything is A-OK, when in reality not only is it NOT OK, but the work to date betrays a fundamental lack of understanding the requirements.

It's taken time and patience to get them to understand that and for us to understand that we need to approach our project work with a different mindset, but I really think we all mostly mesh pretty well these days. But god drat that cultural disconnect was really frustrating until it dawned on a few people what was going on.

I get this dealing with end users as well. I know people who are afraid to ask a question when I'm explaining something like a new system or procedure. I can tell them all the details, ask for questions repeatedly, have them try what I just did, ask again if they have any questions, encourage them to call or email if they think of any questions or improvements after using it for a while. Then two weeks later find out from a third party they don't know how to do something in the new system but haven't called to ask. I want to help you please tell me what doesn't work so I can help you.

I know part of it is not wanting to look dumb, but don't worry about it. I don't expect you to know as much about IT as I know, any more than I'd expect you to know as much about cars as your mechanic. Ask questions and voice concerns so I can help you work more effectively; if a solution won't work for what you're trying to accomplish tell me it won't work and we can look into other options. I promise I won't laugh at you or be mad or anything other than try to be helpful. :smith:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I feel like "do the needful" comes from the same place that "please advise" comes from. Wherever that is.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Data Graham posted:

I feel like "do the needful" comes from the same place that "please advise" comes from. Wherever that is.

19th century British office slang.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Re: A call from Miles Davis came in ...

Please advise.

null_pointer fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Sep 17, 2017

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Data Graham posted:

What about "please advice"? I've gotten this too many times for it to be a typo.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Kaethela posted:

What about "please advice"? I've gotten this too many times for it to be a typo.
That's called a "typo" or a "misspelling".

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

A ticket didn't come in. Instead, one of our helpdeskers received a direct email from the CFO:

to: helpdesker@company.com
subject: RE: iPhone X available for preorder
body: <empty>

Later that day a couple people asked about their upgrade eligibility, and a couple others all of the sudden were having battery issues.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I tell people who've asked that I have a stack of iphone 6's ready to be used if anything happens to their phone.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
forget about facial recognition give me a god drat phone with a removable battery and maybe a physical keyboard

also I am 80 years old and hate change :argh:

(I may be a little salty that my 2 year old phone's battery is shot to poo poo but is still perfect otherwise)

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

GreenNight posted:

I tell people who've asked that I have a stack of iphone 6's ready to be used if anything happens to their phone.

Looks at my Iphone 5s with a dodgy lightning connector

Hmmm....
No then I would need to get a new case etc.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

I work in financial sector IT. The fact that the iPhone X can be unlocked while you are handcuffed, and even en potentially unconscious scares the poo poo out of me.

Actually it doesn't, because I know our IT security team will reject that device with the biggest "oh gently caress no" available.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

AlexDeGruven posted:

I work in financial sector IT. The fact that the iPhone X can be unlocked while you are handcuffed, and even en potentially unconscious scares the poo poo out of me.

Actually it doesn't, because I know our IT security team will reject that device with the biggest "oh gently caress no" available.

I mean it's not like you can't do the same thing with a fingerprint sensor, so I'm not seeing a huge security vulnerability vs the old thing.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You can disable non-PIN security if you want

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Renegret posted:

forget about facial recognition give me a god drat phone with a removable battery and maybe a physical keyboard

also I am 80 years old and hate change :argh:

(I may be a little salty that my 2 year old phone's battery is shot to poo poo but is still perfect otherwise)

I thought the same thing until I tried to find a non fake battery for an old phone. Turns out they stop making them when they stop making the phone.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

The Iron Rose posted:

I mean it's not like you can't do the same thing with a fingerprint sensor, so I'm not seeing a huge security vulnerability vs the old thing.

Have we already forgotten how much end users will scream for everything that is convenient?

Also, just a reminder that fingerprints are not 4th amendment protected (probably most biometrics, including facial recognition, really), but passwords are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

The Iron Rose posted:

Since the face sensor is by design meant to work while someone's got their phone on a desk and at least if they're holding way out with their arm, you can get the thing unlocked without even having to touch them. And there's basically no jurisidictions where it's illegal to point a phone at someone's face the way it could be illegal to make them use their fingerprint.

Plus there's the fact that people can do things with touch identification like the actual finger to unlock it is your pinkies, but the cop or crook or whatever is going to first try your thumb and pointer fingers first and use up most of the authentication attempts. Much more difficult to do an "alternate face" to unlock the phone, especially as it's meant to recognize you with different expressions.

• Locked thread