Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah, you can call Jerry Jones as big of a dingus as you want, but his teams have been fine even after his dynasty run, and considering he installed himself as GM, gets to go ahead and take credit for all those solidly good Romo teams and the current Oline.

He deserves more credit then Kraft overall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

evilweasel's point is well-received, but I wonder how Bob Kraft would have reacted if a pre-Super Bowl Belichick told him to gently caress off from a meeting because it was for “men only”.

I guess he just wouldn't insert himself into that position in the first place.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Kraft probably wouldn't have been told that because he isn't a sniveling man child who previously butted heads with the coach he hired.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

evilweasel posted:

he does the two things that an owner needs to do to be a good owner: (a) hired the right coach (and GM) and (b) stayed the gently caress out of all decisions beyond those two and let the competent people he hired run the thing instead of sticking his fingers in repeatedly

you would think (b) would be easy but somehow a lot of owners find it difficult

You have to remember most owners are rich man child's who see the teams as toys. So ofc when someone else plays with their toy they throw a poo poo fit.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mcmagic posted:

I'd take that for the rest of my life.

sure but i'd say it means that just becuase the coach/GM is stupidly successful doesn't mean an idiot owner isn't going to kool-aid man his way into the decision making room and fire anyone who tries to kick him out

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

If I owned the Bills it'd probably be pretty hard for me to just sit back completely and not meddle at all. I like Tyrod and Sammy and there was no way I'd let Fred Jackson go when they did.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Kraft probably wouldn't have been told that because he isn't a sniveling man child who previously butted heads with the coach he hired.

Yeah, I mean the requirements for being a good owner are basically: Hires competent people with football knowledge to run the team, gives them what they need and stays the gently caress out of the way.

Kraft fulfills all three with flying colors.

Jed York fails on at least two, Jim Irsay whiffs on the first one, Mike Brown the second, etc...

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

fsif posted:

If I owned the Bills it'd probably be pretty hard for me to just sit back completely and not meddle at all. I like Tyrod and Sammy and there was no way I'd let Fred Jackson go when they did.

Your decision making couldn't have been worse than the Bills over the last 10 years. Same with mine and the Jets.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

As funny and deserved as it was, probably not the smartest career move for Harbaugh or any employee to call their boss a child in front of the entire organization

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Kalli posted:

Yeah, I mean the requirements for being a good owner are basically: Hires competent people with football knowledge to run the team, gives them what they need and stays the gently caress out of the way.

Kraft fulfills all three with flying colors.

Jed York fails on at least two, Jim Irsay whiffs on the first one, Mike Brown the second, etc...

after all its not all owners who will pay their QB under the table to make sure their GM has extra money for the rest of the team

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

evilweasel posted:

after all its not all owners who will pay their QB under the table to make sure their GM has extra money for the rest of the team

There is no way Kraft came up with that himself. It's all Belichick.

SHOAH NUFF posted:

As funny and deserved as it was, probably not the smartest career move for Harbaugh or any employee to call their boss a child in front of the entire organization

He probably was thrilled that he got fired.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Sep 11, 2017

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah how much did they have to pay him?

mcmagic posted:

There is no way Bob Kraft is any smarter than Woody Johnson. He just hired the right coach and lucked into a qb.

Hired is very polite language.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

Hired is very polite language.
Yeah....That is true. I guess he deserves credit for being a piece of poo poo enough to pull that maneuver even though it cost him picks.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

If I owned an NFL team I'd appoint TFF as the GM. As long as everyone agrees that Rex Grossman is our franchise quarterback.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Pre-Belichick Kraft fired Pete Carroll after a 3-year 27-21 record stint and tried to move the team to Hartford. That would be considered meddlesome were it not for accidentally hiring a dark lord out of spite and lottery-balling the best qb ever.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Carroll took a team that was just in the SB, young and talented all over the roster and had it decline three straight years. Granted a lot of that was the incompetent GM, but Carroll was bad with the Patriots.

Also I never cared about the idea of the team moving to Hartford. It was already in Foxborough and only really affected the Townies who everyone hates anyway.

Rabble Rabble Rabble.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Diva Cupcake posted:

Pre-Belichick Kraft fired Pete Carroll after a 3-year 27-21 record stint and tried to move the team to Hartford. That would be considered meddlesome were it not for accidentally hiring a dark lord out of spite and lottery-balling the best qb ever.

i think getting belichick had a huge amount of luck but kraft did trade a first round draft pick to a division rival for him and gave him GM authority as well so he saw something there worth going all-in on

nah
Mar 16, 2009

The Miami Dolphins play tomorrow

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

XxGirlKisserxX posted:

The Miami Dolphins play tomorrow

Eww

chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

Is this real life, or is this fantasy?

evilweasel posted:

jerry jones fired the guy who won him two super bowls because he was mad the coach was getting credit instead of jerry jones and the cowboys were stunningly mediocre for a long time as a result (despite the one super bowl they won with the departing coach's team that jerry took credit for)

That same guy Jerry fired could have rebuilt the Dolphins, only failed because he wasn't allowed to trade the most beloved QB in franchise history.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

chilihead posted:

That same guy Jerry fired could have rebuilt the Dolphins, only failed because he wasn't allowed to trade the most beloved QB in franchise history.

Imagine how much Jimmy Johnson would have been able to fleece some fools for old man Marino lol.

*GM notices passing stats going up*

GIVE ME MARNO FOR OUR NEXT TWO ENTIRE DRAFTS

*Jimmy Johnson gets Peyton Manning, Randy Moss and Edgerrin James or some dumb poo poo like that*

Probably not really but it's a funny scenario to imagine.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

1 year and 2 games into the Hackenberg Era he's inactive and Bowles said he will be inactive as long as Petty is healthy.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Smartest decision a team's made all year tbh

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Jets hung in the game too long i was getting scared for a second.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

Don't worry, there is a law about the Jets special teams being a horrific joke that has been in effect since Westhoff left.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Dolphins only undefeated team in the afc east

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Real hurthling! posted:

lol Triplette

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

One thing about the Jets "tanking,' there isn't one veteran player they cut who is making them look bad...

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Ehud posted:

Dolphins only undefeated team in the afc east

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

mcmagic posted:

One thing about the Jets "tanking,' there isn't one veteran player they cut who is making them look bad...

Pretty much. Even David Harris only managed 1 snap this week.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Diva Cupcake posted:

Pretty much. Even David Harris only managed 1 snap this week.

Shows how horrible the roster was even last year and that 2015 was all a product of a really easy schedule.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

So how good is the Saints linebacker the Dolphins just got

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

XxGirlKisserxX posted:

'Saints' 'linebacker'

The clue is within the question

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

XxGirlKisserxX posted:

So how good is the Saints linebacker the Dolphins just got

probably not very good but at some point you need human beings to strap pads onto

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank
If he'd have gone to the Pat's probably amazing. As it is, pretty much what Ehud says.

Mike Hull played every defensive snap on Sunday. That is not ideal.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

good... saints player...?

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
He's very athletic and is good in front of the ball. He's our attempt at replacing Lawrence Timmons

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

Has anymore news or speculation come out on what caused Timmons to disappear like he did?

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
His kid. The day before the game he wanted to visit his kid he asked to miss all the team meetings the Saturday before our game and Gase told him no - he went anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Amy Pole Her posted:

His kid. The day before the game he wanted to visit his kid he asked to miss all the team meetings the Saturday before our game and Gase told him no - he went anyway

Have any Miami reporters picked this up yet?

Armando is still writing like he doesn't know what happened with Timmons.

• Locked thread