Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Lid posted:

She also said she suspected polls showing majority support for same-sex marriage were wrong and ignored the "silent majority"

...you're a senator, you should at least know how polls work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

The silent majority is a thing though, see secret tories.

AgentF
May 11, 2009

AgentF posted:

AdelGoons get your arses down to the Marriage Equality rally today! 1pm, Parliament House.

Result: Adelaide did good. Crowd was over 5000 strong. We spilled over the parliament house sidewalk and blocked traffic. Huge positive atmosphere with lots of noise and bright colours. Marched afterwards through the centre of the city.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Hahaha apparently there's going to be an ultranationalist rally today in Melbourne, with a counter-protest being organised by Campaign against Racism and Fascism. Will be interesting due to the new Victorian laws about face coverings, would not be surprised to see VicPol going whole hog with the foam now to try and dissuade protesters/journalists, seeing as they have targeted medics in the past.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

Lid posted:

lol

A fired-up Senator Fierravanti-Wells, the Minister for International Development, emphasised the differing views on same-sex marriage within migrant communities and claimed: "Difference is not discrimination. There is no discrimination of LGBTI people in Australia."

She also said she suspected polls showing majority support for same-sex marriage were wrong and ignored the "silent majority".

Speakers also portrayed the "no" side as the victim of a concerted campaign by elites, the media and big business. There were boos from the audience for Sydney lord mayor Clover Moore, who is backing the "yes" side with ratepayers' money.

Coalition for Marriage spokeswoman Sophie York described the "yes" side as "carefully orchestrated, cashed-up and ruthless".

To rapturous applause, she suggested a "no" vote in Australia could be the start of a global "push back" against same-sex marriage, which has been legalised in more than 20 countries.

I wonder how it feels to be on the wrong side of history.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Legit keen to watch Melbourne smash the fash

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Anidav posted:

Legit keen to watch Melbourne smash the fash

lol i think you mean watch VicPol facilitate yet another ultranationist rally and keep counter-protesters at arms length with the use of capsicium foam and horses

i'll be impressed if the good guys get within a block of the fascists

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Knobb Manwich posted:

The silent majority is a thing though, see secret tories.

Yeah nah. This was far less of a phenomenon than young people simply not bothering to vote in the brexit. This campaign means a lot more to younger people and has had better support from the media.

Every single major election since then has swung significantly left of the prediction.

Stop comparing things to Brexit. It's loving stupid.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Don Dongington posted:

Yeah nah. This was far less of a phenomenon than young people simply not bothering to vote in the brexit. This campaign means a lot more to younger people and has had better support from the media.

Every single major election since then has swung significantly left of the prediction.

I can think of at least one that didn't.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Solemn Sloth posted:

Okay since Trump, but we all know there were way more factors in play there than a mystery cohort of quiet conservatives.

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

"I'm an archivist. I'm archiving."

Don Dongington posted:

He didn't mention Brexit dude, you seem to have brought Brexit up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shy_Tory_Factor

I am sure that there will be some "Shy homophobes" in this vote. However, it's probably a few % at most - not the ~20% they need to swing the vote based on polling.

simmyb
Sep 29, 2005

Sorry if it's been asked before, but how do overseas people go about getting a postal vote for me, if here not coming automatically (hard to tell if they are)?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Solemn Sloth posted:

John Howard, right?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

simmyb posted:

Sorry if it's been asked before, but how do overseas people go about getting a postal vote for me, if here not coming automatically (hard to tell if they are)?

Chap on TV said visit the ABS website. I'd link it but this phone's browsers think 4G doesn't work

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

wat

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Clearly they're protesting against the extra thick tomato slice and the whole egg mayonnaise Hungry Jacks use.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
lol they picked the bisexual flag for a background

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

rumble in the bunghole posted:

lol they picked the bisexual flag for a background

Probably not the case for those people but it wouldn't surprise me if there was a contingent of bi and trans people voting no in protest against the bi erasure and bi/transphobia within the larger queer community

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Looks like its beginning

https://twitter.com/NeoEntropy/status/909228840542552064

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

Was channel surfing this morning, saw Andrew Bolt interviewing Milo Yiannopolous 😬

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Box of Bunnies posted:

Probably not the case for those people but it wouldn't surprise me if there was a contingent of bi and trans people voting no in protest against the bi erasure and bi/transphobia within the larger queer community

Actually this is a really cool and good point because there's a large contingent for "gay marriage", whereas (myself included) aim for "marriage equality", which is where anyone can marry anyone. I'm worried that "gay marriage" will effectively sideline other LGBTQ+ movements, like we see 2nd wave TERFs waiving the dumb "hmm are trans people actually people at all????" flag which is so loving dumb

AgentF
May 11, 2009
I think it's very very important to not be distracted in discussions about this. I can easily see acceptance of gay marriage leading to acceptance of other progressive causes one we have gay marriage and people can see that society hasn't collapsed. I'm all for transgender rights and make sure to always use "marriage equality" when discussing the issue, but I'm also fine for focusing on one topic that people can readily understand. Once it's passed we then start expanding it. I think it's the best path to get where we want to be.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

AgentF posted:

I can easily see acceptance of gay marriage leading to acceptance of other progressive causes one we have gay marriage and people can see that society hasn't collapsed.

Except we know from the example of the US that things don't work like that. Once they lose the fight on gay marriage conservatives move on to an easier target and start pushing things like bathroom bills and banning trans people from the military. And surprise, it's a lot easier to convince the general populace of trans people being weird and icky than it is just two dudes loving each other, and plenty of gay people are happy to move on from the fight once they've got theirs in terms of rights so no, it isn't really that easy to see.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
you're right. if we can't do it perfectly the first time, we shouldn't do it at all

voting no. thanks thread for opening my eyes.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Brown Paper Bag posted:

Was channel surfing this morning, saw Andrew Bolt interviewing Milo Yiannopolous 😬

The other day he was chucking a tizzy because CNN wouldn't let him use their studio to interview Milo.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Why does this stupid survey even exist

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Brown Paper Bag posted:

Is that the best he can do now?

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Box of Bunnies posted:

Except we know from the example of the US that things don't work like that. Once they lose the fight on gay marriage conservatives move on to an easier target and start pushing things like bathroom bills and banning trans people from the military. And surprise, it's a lot easier to convince the general populace of trans people being weird and icky than it is just two dudes loving each other, and plenty of gay people are happy to move on from the fight once they've got theirs in terms of rights so no, it isn't really that easy to see.

I think you'd have a hard time arguing that the legalisation of SSM has anything to do with that, or they wouldn't be arguing for those same things if SSM wasn't legal.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

Anidav posted:

Why does this stupid survey even exist

Because Mal and Lucy need the sweet PM bucks a little longer.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

open24hours posted:

I think you'd have a hard time arguing that the legalisation of SSM has anything to do with that, or they wouldn't be arguing for those same things if SSM wasn't legal.

Yeah, it's probably just a super weird coincidence that bathroom bills really only started popping up after the supreme court decided on Obergefell :shrug:

I'm not saying that we shouldn't have SSM here, I voted yes, but I can understand why other people might feel the way I outlined.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

open24hours posted:

I bet you unironically think the LGBTQ+ community is one happy hugbox right??

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I can't even imagine what you're trying to respond to with that comment.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

Milky Moor posted:

you're right. if we can't do it perfectly the first time, we shouldn't do it at all

voting no. thanks thread for opening my eyes.

noone said that. rude

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Box of Bunnies posted:

Yeah, it's probably just a super weird coincidence that bathroom bills really only started popping up after the supreme court decided on Obergefell :shrug:

I'm not saying that we shouldn't have SSM here, I voted yes, but I can understand why other people might feel the way I outlined.

They appeared before that, but even if they hadn't it's still a massive stretch to say that the decision is in any way responsible for them.

Sparticle
Oct 7, 2012

Brown Paper Bag posted:

well he does have a history of defending paedophiles.

AgentF
May 11, 2009

Box of Bunnies posted:

A very interesting thought. Has anyone done a good in-depth analysis or article of this? Have not paid attention to what has happened in the US.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Krazyface posted:

Is that the best he can do now?

Bolt or Milo? :haw:

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

open24hours posted:

They appeared before that, but even if they hadn't it's still a massive stretch to say that the decision is in any way responsible for them.

marriage equality doesn't cause heightened transphobia, but it does send a signal to conservatives that acceptance of gay people is mainstream and they need to move their moral panic to a less accepted minority. almost exactly two decades ago, male gay sex was still a criminal offense in Tasmania, and conservatives fought tooth and claw to stop decriminalisation. seven years later Howard rewrote the marriage act to explicitly forbid gay marriage, and now 13 years on conservatives are still fighting, tooth and claw, to stop marriage equality.

this isn't to say (unlike some impressive straw men that have been erected in the thread) that marriage equality is bad, but it's acknowledging the reality that conservatives will always fight a running battle against equality and just because we accomplish a given milestone on the way to human decency doesn't mean that we can pat ourselves on the back and say we're done, or that there'll be a domino effect of rapid acceptance of culturally progressive causes.

the writing's already on the wall; the attacks from the no campaign have been heavily couched in the language of transphobia, and the response from the yes campaign isn't particularly encouraging. when pressed on the issue of school boys wearing dresses, the answer from the yes side has been "that didn't happen", not "if that happened, who cares?"

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

BBJoey posted:

marriage equality doesn't cause heightened transphobia, but it does send a signal to conservatives that acceptance of gay people is mainstream and they need to move their moral panic to a less accepted minority. almost exactly two decades ago, male gay sex was still a criminal offense in Tasmania, and conservatives fought tooth and claw to stop decriminalisation. seven years later Howard rewrote the marriage act to explicitly forbid gay marriage, and now 13 years on conservatives are still fighting, tooth and claw, to stop marriage equality.

this isn't to say (unlike some impressive straw men that have been erected in the thread) that marriage equality is bad, but it's acknowledging the reality that conservatives will always fight a running battle against equality and just because we accomplish a given milestone on the way to human decency doesn't mean that we can pat ourselves on the back and say we're done, or that there'll be a domino effect of rapid acceptance of culturally progressive causes.
I don't disagree with this, but I do struggle to see how it's relevant. Conservatism adapts to its environment like any other political movement. In the 1980s and 90s the decriminalisation of gay sex was the focus of many activists, and as a fundamentally reactionary ideology conservatives responded by arguing that it shouldn't be. Now that same sex marriage is the focus they are responding to that, and they will respond to whatever becomes the new focus after SSM becomes law. That they move on to complain about new things isn't something to bemoan, it's a sign of progress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

yes

• Locked thread