Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wang Yuanji is easily my favorite character to play as in most games she's in but I'm under no impression that she won for that reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

No woman character will ever come close to the greatness of Ginchiyo. Perfect design, except in 4 when they added those dumb heels to her steel sabatons.

She wields lightning.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Jimbot posted:

No woman character will ever come close to the greatness of Ginchiyo. Perfect design, except in 4 when they added those dumb heels to her steel sabatons.

She wields lightning.

Couterargument: Wang Yi

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I only remember Ginchiyo because of that dumb stupid headgear thing.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Pretty impressive Zhou Tai made it to the top 5 there.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

Tae posted:

Please do not diss the space Nazi princess crown.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Allarion posted:

Couterargument: Wang Yi

:hfive:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ryoga posted:

Please do not diss the space Nazi princess crown.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Holy poo poo, I knew that's why I love Ginchiyo.

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)
Coincidentally, the Qubeley is probably my favorite MS so far in DW Gundam 2, if only because its three-bar standing musou, coupled with a high Ranged stat, let you basically just say 'No' to giant bosses.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Dj Meow Mix posted:

Empires games are generally more simulation/customization based. You won't get the main storylines going in those, for that you'll want to buy the main numbered titles. Xtreme Legends entries add more story content/missions, but didn't include the main storyline until DW8 when Xtreme Legends was bundled with the main game for a rerelease.

In that case, would you recommend that you play the main-numbered games before you play the Empires spin-off? Right now, I'm trying to decide between buying Samurai Warriors 4 Empires and Warrors Orochi 3 Ultimate, and at the moment, I'm leaning towards Empires only because the light strategy elements and the character creation make it seem more varied based on what I've experienced with DW8. At the same time, I wonder if it's better to play SW4 first, since I get the impression that you benefit from going through the story-line first.

Mostly, I'm trying not burn myself out; I really like Dynasty Warriors 8 so far from what I've played, and I want to try the other games in the series, but someone a couple pages back said not to play too many Musou games in a row.

Also, is there a way to display your inputs in DW8, or any of the Musou games? For a couple of the characters, it feels like you have to be really specific with the inputs for some of their combos (Zhuge Liang I've had the most trouble with).

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I don't think so but it's less about being precise and more about only pressing the buttons you need for the combo, unlike some games it doesn't sort of ignore button presses until you get to the end of an attack, if you want square, square, triangle for instance you have to press exactly that not spam buttons like I have a habit of doing.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
I got a lot more mileage out of warriors orochi 3 ultimate than DW8 empires. But that really falls under personal taste. There's not much strategy to empires, to be honest. It's more a role play being a bossy jerk to your subordinates than anything else.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Max Wilco posted:

In that case, would you recommend that you play the main-numbered games before you play the Empires spin-off? Right now, I'm trying to decide between buying Samurai Warriors 4 Empires and Warrors Orochi 3 Ultimate, and at the moment, I'm leaning towards Empires only because the light strategy elements and the character creation make it seem more varied based on what I've experienced with DW8. At the same time, I wonder if it's better to play SW4 first, since I get the impression that you benefit from going through the story-line first.

Mostly, I'm trying not burn myself out; I really like Dynasty Warriors 8 so far from what I've played, and I want to try the other games in the series, but someone a couple pages back said not to play too many Musou games in a row.

Also, is there a way to display your inputs in DW8, or any of the Musou games? For a couple of the characters, it feels like you have to be really specific with the inputs for some of their combos (Zhuge Liang I've had the most trouble with).

If you're more focused on storylines you'll wanna play Samurai Warriors 4 or 4-II, both of which have character customization (well, I'm pretty sure 4-II does, I haven't played that one myself.) If you've already played one of those and just want more SW4, then Empires is a fine bet. In terms of sheer amount of content WO3U is probably the winner there, though SW4 feels better to play in my opinion. The Orochi games are also grindy as hell, and likely will burn you out if you're coming off another musou game.

The recommendation to take it slow on these games is earnest. Regardless, play whatever sounds more fun to you. You clearly enjoy the series so I don't think you're really gonna be disappointed either way. I just want to make clear that there aren't really 'end goals' in Empires games. It's more like baby's first anime Civilization and when diplomacy fails (and it always will, by the time it doesn't you've already won) you play a musou game.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
what's advanced anime civilization

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Nobunaga's Ambition, probably.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Sengoku Rance, clearly

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Dj Meow Mix posted:

If you're more focused on storylines you'll wanna play Samurai Warriors 4 or 4-II, both of which have character customization (well, I'm pretty sure 4-II does, I haven't played that one myself.) If you've already played one of those and just want more SW4, then Empires is a fine bet. In terms of sheer amount of content WO3U is probably the winner there, though SW4 feels better to play in my opinion. The Orochi games are also grindy as hell, and likely will burn you out if you're coming off another musou game.

The recommendation to take it slow on these games is earnest. Regardless, play whatever sounds more fun to you. You clearly enjoy the series so I don't think you're really gonna be disappointed either way. I just want to make clear that there aren't really 'end goals' in Empires games. It's more like baby's first anime Civilization and when diplomacy fails (and it always will, by the time it doesn't you've already won) you play a musou game.

Orochi 3 appealed to me when I read about the set up. Having the Dynasty Warriors and Samurai Warriors crossover along with other Tecmo characters sounds goofy as hell. Hearing that it's a grind puts me off a little, as I've tried playing Ambition mode in DW8 a bit, and it sort of feels like that (though I blame that partially on not picking the best character to start it with).

I watched the GiantBomb Quick Look for SW4 Empires, and baby's first anime civilization is a pretty apt description. For me, one of the appeals of the Warriors games so far is the mixing of historical periods like the Three Kingdoms and Sengoku-era Japan with crazy anime designs and goofiness. There have been times where I've wanted to play one of the Paradox grand strategy games like Crusader Kings 2 or Europa Unversalis, because the idea of taking control of a country and working to make an alternate-history thing sounds fun, but I've always been put off by how complex they are, and I imagine it's not as fun in execution as it is in concept. Empires appeals to me because it hits on that same basic idea, but the grand strategy component is replaced with "run into a battle with a guitar weapon and rock your enemies out to victory."

I also remembered that I bought One Piece Pirate Warriors 3 a while ago, and I still haven't played it yet, so maybe I should give that a look first. I am sort of curious if that has the same kind of 'tactical' element as Dynasty Warriors where you need to be concerned about your teammates or prioritize targets.

Dj Meow Mix posted:

Sengoku Rance, clearly

I just looked this up.

Uh...what the hell is it? Also, is it any good

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

One Piece Warriors 3 arguably has the best combat system by a mile

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Max Wilco posted:

For me, one of the appeals of the Warriors games so far is the mixing of historical periods like the Three Kingdoms and Sengoku-era Japan with crazy anime designs and goofiness.

Are you at all familiar with the Sengoku Basara franchise?

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Max Wilco posted:

I just looked this up.

Uh...what the hell is it? Also, is it any good

It's an h-rpg. I only know about it via reputation lol (and the OST which is pretty good)

Warriors games and their lookalikes will all have that light tactical element you're looking for, so the anime Warriors, Fate Extella, Sengoku Basara, Neptunia, Senran Kagura etc will all have something if you like the gameplay system. How far down the rabbit hole you're willing to go depends on your taste in anime, I guess. If you want to stick to feudal history stuff then DW, SW and Sengoku Basara are what you're looking at. I guess Bladestorm as well.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Sengoku Basara makes the opening of DW7 seem grounded and too realistic in comparison

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Does anyone have any tips for getting started in Samurai Warriors 4 Empires? I picked a clan that seemed cool and instantly lost my first bid for a new territory. I won the second, but every battle after that has been unwinnable.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Urdnot Fire posted:

Nobunaga's Ambition, probably.

I played the hell out of NA: Sphere of Influence, are there any superior games in the series? Ones that got released or fan translated to English?

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006
Blue sparks and big fucking shells.

:dukedog:

titties posted:

Does anyone have any tips for getting started in Samurai Warriors 4 Empires? I picked a clan that seemed cool and instantly lost my first bid for a new territory. I won the second, but every battle after that has been unwinnable.

Try starting in a territory that's shoved into a corner so you have fewer places to be invaded from. Be sure to rotate your best military officers to the front and make sure you have the means to work around their fatigue. Pay special attention to how much food you have. Pay close attention to how many soldiers you have and the general state of your infrastructure. When deciding on a territory to invade, consider all the avenues of attack back into the space you're entering. Keep your fronts as small as possible. If you're on the defensive, don't turtle unless the enemy force is absolutely overwhelming - if you can push them all the way back and take their main camp, you'll steal resources.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Keeshhound posted:

Are you at all familiar with the Sengoku Basara franchise?
I'm not, but I'll check it out.

Dj Meow Mix posted:

It's an h-rpg. I only know about it via reputation lol (and the OST which is pretty good)

Warriors games and their lookalikes will all have that light tactical element you're looking for, so the anime Warriors, Fate Extella, Sengoku Basara, Neptunia, Senran Kagura etc will all have something if you like the gameplay system. How far down the rabbit hole you're willing to go depends on your taste in anime, I guess. If you want to stick to feudal history stuff then DW, SW and Sengoku Basara are what you're looking at. I guess Bladestorm as well.

I've heard people compare Senran Kagura to the Musou games a few times before. I asked about in the Senran Kagura thread, and there was the sentiment that the SK games were more straightforward, and you didn't have to babysit the AI characters. (Then again, there was also the sentiment that the games were more akin to Devil May Cry or God of War, so I don't know)

I know I've had a couple of hang-ups in DW8 trying to fulfill certain requirements. I had to restart the Han Castle mission in the Wu campaign a couple of times because I couldn't stop the flood gates in time. It's also a little aggravating when you try to rush to aid an ally who's in distress, only to get stopped by gates and enemy officers you have to defeat first. It's not something I totally hate, though; I think it's probably part of what keeps the game engaging. However, there are times where you just want to go in and smack the crap out of mobs of enemies without having to rush back across the entire battlefield because Cao Cao can't handle some generic officer.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Max Wilco posted:

I've heard people compare Senran Kagura to the Musou games a few times before. I asked about in the Senran Kagura thread, and there was the sentiment that the SK games were more straightforward, and you didn't have to babysit the AI characters. (Then again, there was also the sentiment that the games were more akin to Devil May Cry or God of War, so I don't know)

Senran Kagura is closer to Sengoku Basara in design but is much smaller in scale and tries to be more like a traditional Streets of Rage-esque beat-em-up. You walk forward, beat a mob in small area, walk forward, beat a mob in a small area, fight a boss. There are no AI characters to babysit, because you are almost always alone. Mobs are both strong and cheap, so there's no feeling of being a super god ninja a la Ryu Hayabusa and Ayane in Orochi 3. You just feel like you, as a human player, can better exploit weaknesses.

If you're looking for a Musou fix outside of the franchise, Senran Kagura (and by extension, the Neptunia brawlers by the same developer) are not going to give it to you. You'll have a better time with Fate/Extella.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Chachi posted:

Try starting in a territory that's shoved into a corner so you have fewer places to be invaded from. Be sure to rotate your best military officers to the front and make sure you have the means to work around their fatigue. Pay special attention to how much food you have. Pay close attention to how many soldiers you have and the general state of your infrastructure. When deciding on a territory to invade, consider all the avenues of attack back into the space you're entering. Keep your fronts as small as possible. If you're on the defensive, don't turtle unless the enemy force is absolutely overwhelming - if you can push them all the way back and take their main camp, you'll steal resources.

I've not played an Empires game since DW5/SW2, but does this mean that conquering the map is not a complete pushover anymore that I can achieve single-handedly?

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006
Blue sparks and big fucking shells.

:dukedog:

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

I've not played an Empires game since DW5/SW2, but does this mean that conquering the map is not a complete pushover anymore that I can achieve single-handedly?

It's less doable now that maps are larger with more objectives that can make things tougher for you if you don't manage to hit them. Against a single-territory clan with a handful of officers, it's not a problem, but trying to go ham on a clan with eight provinces and a bunch of title officers is more difficult.

Magil of Shadow
Dec 28, 2009

Proposal: Form a friendly relationship immediately.

"You have GOT to be kidding me"

Max Wilco posted:

I'm not, but I'll check it out.

Oh man, I'm legit curious to hear your reaction once you get into it, if and when you do. I loving LOVE the Basara games, if only for how fast paced they can get. A shame we'll never get another one over here, and Basara 4 will never be translated properly, because good lord, did I love playing 3, to the point of picking up a copy of UTAGE just for the quality of life benefits.

Plus, you know, being able to play as Kenshin semi-properly.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Magil of Shadow posted:

Oh man, I'm legit curious to hear your reaction once you get into it, if and when you do. I loving LOVE the Basara games, if only for how fast paced they can get. A shame we'll never get another one over here, and Basara 4 will never be translated properly, because good lord, did I love playing 3, to the point of picking up a copy of UTAGE just for the quality of life benefits.

Plus, you know, being able to play as Kenshin semi-properly.

I looked up some game-play footage, and at first, I didn't see anything real special until I saw a clip from the second game with a lady shooting enemies with dual pistols, only to pull out a chaingun and start firing. :drat: Now I'm interested.

I was going to ask what the opinion was on the Ambition mode in Dynasty Warriors 8. The impression I get is that it's sort of a 'lite' version of the game-play from Empires. That being said, it feels pretty slow and sort of half-baked. You cap out on Fame pretty quickly, but gathering allies takes a while, and you burn through materials pretty quickly. I also can't seem to make it past five or six battles before officers start seeming to get really tough (they start taking a lot of damage and can stun-lock you in the air until you health is nearly gone). I've been using Zhang Liao (as he seems a little overpowered, though that might be due to how i have him set up), and I got him to level 50 or so, but I'm wondering how much of a difference your level makes on the difficulty. I've been mostly starting battles on Normal difficulty. Some guides I've looked at online say to exploit a method where you can sell items or animals to get gold fast and buy items to level yourself up really quickly.

I should note that I'm playing DW8XL (specifically the PC port), and that XL adds a second story'/campaign after you complete the camp.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Tae posted:

She doesn't even break the top 10 in "dumbest headgear in Samurai Warriors" :colbert:

Ginchiyo is great, though I liked her better before they introduced her husband to the series and she got eclipsed by him (it's started happening to Ina as well)

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Max Wilco posted:

I looked up some game-play footage, and at first, I didn't see anything real special until I saw a clip from the second game with a lady shooting enemies with dual pistols, only to pull out a chaingun and start firing. :drat: Now I'm interested.

Basara is definitely goes into the crazy territory. The one that was released in the west, Sengoku Basara: Samurai Heroes, has a version of Magoichi that uses modern weaponry and she owns.

Ghost-Slug
Feb 21, 2011

Feeding Tigrex
one Hunter at a time

Lipstick Apathy

Max Wilco posted:

Sounds like you're looking at footage from the PS2 games or PSP games since you're describing Nou-hime. The gameplay improved in SB3 and SB4 a fair bit over the PS2 games and the PSP games are spin-offs based on a series of mecha games so their gameplay is pretty different.

The first PSP game does have a great intro though: https://youtu.be/m2lV3SBJEj0

Most importantly, only two entries in the series are available in English and the first is a well-known localisation butcher job so if you care about playing in English your only real option is Sengoku Basara 3 / Sengoku Basara: Samurai Heroes on PS3/Wii. If you don't care about the language (and in my opinion, you shouldn't because it's very easy to pick up and play regardless) then you can buy Sengoku Basara 4 Sumeragi on the Japanese PSN store and use some online guides to help with stuff like weapon customisation.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

For Nobunaga's Ambition, If I have Ascension installed is there any reason at all to keep the base game?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

No, they're separate games.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Ghost-Slug posted:

Sounds like you're looking at footage from the PS2 games or PSP games since you're describing Nou-hime. The gameplay improved in SB3 and SB4 a fair bit over the PS2 games and the PSP games are spin-offs based on a series of mecha games so their gameplay is pretty different.

The first PSP game does have a great intro though: https://youtu.be/m2lV3SBJEj0

Most importantly, only two entries in the series are available in English and the first is a well-known localisation butcher job so if you care about playing in English your only real option is Sengoku Basara 3 / Sengoku Basara: Samurai Heroes on PS3/Wii. If you don't care about the language (and in my opinion, you shouldn't because it's very easy to pick up and play regardless) then you can buy Sengoku Basara 4 Sumeragi on the Japanese PSN store and use some online guides to help with stuff like weapon customisation.

My interest is piqued. Does it matter what storefront I get it from? I have a Singapore psn account I used for Super Robot wars

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Sep 17, 2017

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost
I didn't keep up with info since it's release, but was the sanada spinoff basara game as garbage as I think it was?

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Ryoga posted:

I didn't keep up with info since it's release, but was the sanada spinoff basara game as garbage as I think it was?
Yukimura-fellating aside, I thought it was pretty solid and had a nice variety of new levels (including more difficult side-missions that aren't as Sanada-centric). There are some frustrating levels that experiment with things like forced stealth with limited map visibility, but there are also open-world levels that give some insight into what we can expect from DW9. It helps that it builds off of Samurai Warriors 4 gameplay-wise, which is my favorite base besides Pirate Warriors 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Samurai warriors and sengoku basara are vastly different

Samurai masune has 1 sword. Basara masune has 6 swords wielded at the same time like claws.