Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
NBA Live 18 and 2K18 are both very good this year. Live is more accessible in terms of video game basketball. It's a light on modes and flourishes from 2K18 though. Live 18 also doesn't try to pry wallets open constantly for micro transactions either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Nick Soapdish posted:

Don't know if anyone still plays FTL but, remember not to skimp on value point in O2. Was playing the Stealth B, Hard Mode, Balance Mod, got to the Flag Ship. Hacking landed O2, first volley knocked out my O2, by the time I repaired it was in single digits and everyone was dead. My ship was basically alpha strike with Glave, Flak I, weapon preignitor, and hacking. Moral of the story, don't neglect "minor" systems. Still a really fun game that I love going back to between other games.

I've completed that game exactly once on easy, and I tend to get my rear end handed to me about ~50% through on normal. I don't think I've even bothered with hard so far.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

I'd suggest scheduling a Mechwarrior4/MW Living Legends/MW2:Mercs or Mechcommander gip game night a week or so out, but I remember how the last few attempts went.

The one thing the Mechwarrior series is missing is groin shots from Fallout 1 + 2.
The one thing Fallout 1 + 2 is missing is the inferno "war_crimes.txt" rocket launcher.

Since I'm also yearning to play modern-ish Mechwarrior games, going to check out SHOGO. It's apparently everything ElMaligno would love.
Anime in his Macross, Macross in his Anime, with shape changing mechsuits.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Rollin' around with Arrow 4 and Long Toms for Crimes Against Humanity.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

That was one of the cool things in MechCommander 2. Late game you got access to Long Tom artillery weapons.
Another cool thing was that the game processed projectile weapons hits before anything else in the game engine.
So you would see Mechs/vehicles making crazy backwards turns to avoid damage & the projectiles in flight LOOPING around like drones to hit them.

The final two missions I had multiple ATLAS mechs exclusively rocking Long Toms, and it was majestic.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
After spending most of my Saturday game time restarting my XCOM2 games over and over, I'm finally at the start of midgame and relatively comfortable. First blacksite down, researching Powered Armor in about 12 days with Plasma following it, got my first MAJ and a few CPTs.

I am however playing with Grim Horizons enabled, which makes all Dark Events last forever. This totally will not snowball and gently caress me over later. Right now there's a random chance for any ADVENT trooper to have bleeding rounds, and my recruits cost 100% more supply but who needs rookies.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
I need to finish a play through of new XCOM 1, and maybe try XCOM 2.

Instead I started another play through of JA2...

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Frog Fractions 2 seems really lovely and unfun compared to the first game.

I'm not sure if I want to continue playing it, and I don't really know how to progress anyhow. The fairy game was better.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Nick Soapdish posted:

Don't know if anyone still plays FTL but, remember not to skimp on value point in O2. Was playing the Stealth B, Hard Mode, Balance Mod, got to the Flag Ship. Hacking landed O2, first volley knocked out my O2, by the time I repaired it was in single digits and everyone was dead. My ship was basically alpha strike with Glave, Flak I, weapon preignitor, and hacking. Moral of the story, don't neglect "minor" systems. Still a really fun game that I love going back to between other games.

I read this description, have no idea what's going on, but it still sounds intriguing.

This is Faster than Light, I'm assuming? 10 bucks on Steam sounds okay for a quick indie game.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Get prepared to lose hours at a time as you try to get that perfect run

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I read this description, have no idea what's going on, but it still sounds intriguing.

This is Faster than Light, I'm assuming? 10 bucks on Steam sounds okay for a quick indie game.

it is a really good game

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Pesticide20 posted:

Get prepared to lose hours at a time as you try to get that perfect run

Only to get dick stomped by the flagship because a missile hit the wrong subsystem and you go into a slow miserable death spiral :negative:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

I know we have a bunch of dudes in GiP raking in six figures, so I feel silly for saying it, but I forgot how cool a decent amount of disposable income was.

And now it's the biggest amount of disposable income I've ever had while still putting away more than 20% into savings.

I think I'm gonna waste a bunch of money on Steam in the near future.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I know we have a bunch of dudes in GiP raking in six figures, so I feel silly for saying it, but I forgot how cool a decent amount of disposable income was.

And now it's the biggest amount of disposable income I've ever had while still putting away more than 20% into savings.

I think I'm gonna waste a bunch of money on Steam in the near future.

20? Try 90+% :smugdog:

please don't mention that you can see your friends or go home at night

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Okay, FTL is really captivating, and even overcomes frustration after several failed runs, but the completely arbitrary "game-endiness" is a bit ridiculous.

I don't mind hard, or steep learning curve, but "hey, random nebula event, here are four dudes boarding your poo poo, your game is over now lol" is kinda annoying.

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Sep 17, 2017

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
I played a buttload of FTL during downtime in Afghanistan and the one big lesson I had to learn was to not get attached to a particular crew. FTL is essentially "poo poo Happens: The Video Game." You won't succeed on the vast majority of your playthroughs; the odds are very much against you (that is the premise of the game, after all). Just consider each run to be a learning experience. You may find that you're more successful when you lean a little bit more toward "ballsy" than "safe." There's a balance to be struck, certainly, but being overly careful can be just as disastrous in the long run as being reckless is in the short run (you may not have gathered the oomph needed to effectively fight the boss v. you may just get blown up suddenly).

Naked Bear fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Sep 17, 2017

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

FTL is being a dick :mad:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Upgrade your doors to level 2, vent those fuckers to hard vacuum. Have your crew hide out in the first aid room.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Time your weapons so that they impact together for the best shield penetration; target their shields first until they're dropped, then just ping it as needed to keep them down; finally, move on to their weapons or whichever target becomes a priority (e.g. engines or drone control).

Having big, beefy engines and a pilot will greatly enhance survivability by increasing your chance to dodge. When possible, keep the pilot at his post and have other crew repel boarders and repair damage. I also try to keep a guy on the engines because that will also increase evasion, but the pilot also charges the jump drive and so is a little more valuable.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Yeah, I shifted away from traditional bigger-guns, better-shields approaches pretty early after failing in a couple of runs, and focused on diversifying a little, especially after finding out the benefits of some system- / subsystem-upgrading.

Made it to sector 4 in a nebula, wasn't able to repair hull damage I had sustained in the previous sector, was slowly wittled down over 7 jumps or so without any option to do something about it. If the RNG doesn't generate a store in that situation, you're a dead man walking and might as well restart.

The game is tons of fun, but the arbitrary game-ending mechanics are a bit much.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

the iPad version of FTL is really great too btw

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Yeah, I shifted away from traditional bigger-guns, better-shields approaches pretty early after failing in a couple of runs, and focused on diversifying a little, especially after finding out the benefits of some system- / subsystem-upgrading.

Made it to sector 4 in a nebula, wasn't able to repair hull damage I had sustained in the previous sector, was slowly wittled down over 7 jumps or so without any option to do something about it. If the RNG doesn't generate a store in that situation, you're a dead man walking and might as well restart.

The game is tons of fun, but the arbitrary game-ending mechanics are a bit much.

shh, do you hear it

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

:flashfap:

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
current xcom status: double intel costs, double recruit costs (meh), double scanning time (:argh:), advent troopers have bleed rounds, advent lancers get a free move after melee attack, chosen more likely to collect troopers

gently caress you, grim horizon

but my troopers are now in powered armor + plasma weapons and one of them is a COL now

gonna gently caress up the chosen hunter because he's a smug bitch later tonight

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Trying to beat ships while leaving them intact can be a huge boon early game. Crew Teleporters and Fire Weapons particularly fire beam drones make this easy as poo poo to do.

The only caveat being that neither of them are effective against drones and you can get hosed randomly by Zoltan ships.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Also the weapon pre-igniter is a complete game changer

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Two Finger posted:

Also the weapon pre-igniter is a complete game changer

Seriously. You can build absolutely murderous combos with that thing.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

FTL is a good game.
I don't bother doing the flagship battle, that's the lazy do-nothing-fleet's problem, not mine.
The RNG exploration is what I play FTL for.

Played more Mechcommander 1, replaying earlier missions.
Funnily, doing missions with the greenest mechwarriors result in more enemy Mechs salvaged, with the tradeoff of my mechs being walking scrap heaps/exploded 2 bits afterwards.
Will check out the multiplayer component this week with the Darkest Hours mod.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Duzzy Funlop posted:

FTL is being a dick :mad:

On my first FTL run (on easy), I somehow stumbled all of the way to the flagship somehow and got obliterated because I didn't know a goddamn thing. I don't think I got even close during the next ten runs.

Once you get a few runs going, you can sort of figure out what you need to get along the way to be successful in the flagship battle (usually 3/6 of max shields, max engines, anti-missile drones, boarding, cloaking, and 7-8 points of offensive damage).

Really though, the most fun I had in FTL was going through the challenges to unlock all of the ships while just listening to the music. The soundtrack is really, really goddamn good.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

The twin-vulcan devastation technique is a good one too

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
started playing The Division on PC, i really like the mechanics behind the Dark Zone

Shockules
May 2, 2017
The division is good until you get to max level and then you might as well uninstall.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

the division was cool until it got super bullet spongey

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Shockules posted:

The division is good until you get to max level and then you might as well uninstall.

I heard that they made that part good though? With patches and stuff. Haven't played it since launch though.

IDK, maybe I'll give it a try again once I get bored with Destiny 2.

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

the division was cool until it got super bullet spongey

Oh yeah, I forgot that was the other thing I hated about that game. I can excuse bullet sponge stuff for games like Destiny but if you're wearing a hoodie and a bandana mask, four shots to the head from an M-14 is overkill and yet here we are.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
according to the Games thread they did fix that poo poo but Im not there yet

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

"Fixed" is relative. It's still bullet spongy but nowhere near as egregious as it was on launch. There's also basically zero end game content besides grinding gear for the sake of it.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Bolow posted:

"Fixed" is relative. It's still bullet spongy but nowhere near as egregious as it was on launch. There's also basically zero end game content besides grinding gear for the sake of it.

Gotta get better numbers

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

The mini 14 in pubg shoots like all guns should shoot.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

So uh there's a new Front Mission game coming out, and there's a Zone of the Enders remaster with VR support on the PS4 coming as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

lmao I've joked about a ZoE remake forever, can't believe it. The year of the mechs.

Also the VR support :pray: