Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

I have a weird issue in this game that no one else seems to have - and it's not replicated in any other game or program.

About once or twice a match (maybe less?) the entire terrain disappears for a single frame. It doesn't do anything, it's just terrain gone, bam it's back like nothing happened, and I think it happens more often when driving.

It's pretty irritating and I found one stray Reddit comment saying they had the same thing happen, but that's it. And I've put ~600 hours into this game so it's happened a lot, all things told. Anyone have any ideas? It's pretty goddamn annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Pathos posted:

I have a weird issue in this game that no one else seems to have - and it's not replicated in any other game or program.

About once or twice a match (maybe less?) the entire terrain disappears for a single frame. It doesn't do anything, it's just terrain gone, bam it's back like nothing happened, and I think it happens more often when driving.

It's pretty irritating and I found one stray Reddit comment saying they had the same thing happen, but that's it. And I've put ~600 hours into this game so it's happened a lot, all things told. Anyone have any ideas? It's pretty goddamn annoying.

loading pop in

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

I mean, maybe? But it's the ground terrain, not the objects or anything like that. I guess I could try installing it to my SSD...

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Pathos posted:

I mean, maybe? But it's the ground terrain, not the objects or anything like that. I guess I could try installing it to my SSD...

My textures reload every now and then. PUBG is not a very stable game.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Pathos posted:

the op posted:

AS THIS IS AN UNOPTIMIZED EARLY ACCESS GAME, YOU REALLY WANT 16GB OF RAM AND THE GAME INSTALLED ON AN SSD

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

Fair enough. I'll give that a try. Thanks!

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I've had two fog games, both were fantastic. Making it more difficult for everyone to see is very tense. And the experience where you are trying to see if every silhouette is a player, and then one moves.

Scosgar and I wiped a squad 2v4 in some small hills at about 20m. I know that's a normal experience for good players, but it was really exciting for me at least. We might have even won if I knew when to hold my fire on another guy farther out already shooting at someone else.

Like everyone has been saying, Mini 14 is really good. Bullet velocity so high, recoil pretty low. Only downside is 20 rounds can run out fast in a particularly bad situation. I guess it also 2 shots a level 3 helmet? Didn't have a chance to try that out.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

Enigma89 posted:

Those shots off the bridge were loving nice man

Thanks dude, those were some of the toughest shots I ever had to take... :haw:

iSimian
Jan 19, 2008

Well, there's your problem!

revolther posted:

Fog map on a custom server with only revolvers and shotguns, plus eventual zombies, gonna be spooky as gently caress. With the wind and fly sounds it reminds me of MGS5's terrible skulls though.

Start with 100 normal players, each time a player dies he returns as an AI zombie. All zombies are programmed to run towards the player with most kills It Follows-style. Every killed Zombie spawns two more.

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

WARNING: Temporal rift detected!
I made this just to show how much fun playing solo in squad can be. It's totally the stealthy Rambo ambush game type.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Y2uItOSbrg

I fail in the end due to being impatient, but this is how most rounds go, and it's pretty exciting to get a 1v4 wipe.

dvorak fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Sep 17, 2017

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

UP AND ADAM posted:

I don't care about harder or more skillful, FPP just seems more intuitive and like less of a headache than TPP. If you see someone, they can see you, and you can trust in that. I find you can do quicker aiming at people in front of you, so if they're down a hallway or eclipsed by your player model you can get them in your sights real quick, where in TPP it can be a hassle.

yeah this is the real reason fpp is better. going ads from third person is loving bizarre.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
I guess my liking of 3rd person more stems from so much time spent playing 3pp games like Dark Age of Camelot and Global Agenda. Dark Age of Camelot had open world pvp that I'd roam in with usually 1 to 4 people and it was pretty twitchy for a mmorpg. The goal was to be the fastest to get spells off on incoming because of the spell interrupt system. I've been chasing a trail of games to capture the feeling I got from solo and small man groups, and nothing would ever come close. I did not expect to find it in a shooter.

Also fpp makes me feel a little queasy after awhile.

cosmicjim fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Sep 17, 2017

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

dvorak posted:

I fail in the end due to being impatient, but this is how most rounds go, and it's pretty exciting to get a 1v4 wipe.

if you had a good amount of ammo on the scar and attachments you woulda had em.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

dvorak posted:

I made this just to show how much fun playing solo in squad can be. It's totally the stealthy Rambo ambush game type.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Y2uItOSbrg

I think you might've been better off laying into the car with the entirety of your SCAR ammo. It would've blown up in 30 rounds and you would've had your UMP ammo still. Blowing it up over the course of two mags of 9mm ammo gave them all the time they needed to get away from the explosion and left you with just 30 rounds :(

Can't believe you got away with going prone, though. They should've finished you then and there.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

get rid of the red zone.

Parallel Playa posted:

Can't believe you got away with going prone, though. They should've finished you then and there.

they likely didn't think he was solo.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Pathos posted:

I think I get the same thing you're talking about, but always attributed it to my client being synced to the server due to me entering a given distance to another player. DayZ had this as well, even to the point of being able to leverage it to keep from getting ambushed back in the day. I don't recall the terrain totally disappearing though, just a very brief freak out on my client.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

get rid of the red zone.

they likely didn't think he was solo.

Against squads and especially when yours wasn't the one initiating the fight, you don't quit firing just because someone went prone behind a bush. Downing an opponent is the best way to regain initiative. Also, not 'downing' him only risks their teammate getting finished off by him.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the proper move when you outnumber is to push - they likely didn't move because they weren't sure where the rest were and they were in a pretty lovely position themselves.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Sep 17, 2017

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
That's true, but as you said they didn't know they outnumbered him so the fact that they didn't push is kind of irrelevant. However, being engaged upon, out of position and down a man, you really do not stop firing just because someone prones. You have to find a way to turn the tides and letting someone heal is not it.

Lobsterboy
Aug 18, 2003

start smoking (what's up, gold?)
I had a victory last night because local buddy Enemy Nation got an AWM from a crate, and was dropping people with 1 body shot. Maybe 8~ left in duos, and he took out another duo with 2 rounds, the second guy was almost surprised that his buddy was downed. They were probably hurt, but it just incredibly swung the final fight our way.

Also we watched/helped 4-5 people die trying to get the crate because we and another duo were camping it.

God I love crates.

edit: We had a crate drop in the water, had a ghille suit and a Groza. Managed to swim out and get it.

Lobsterboy fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Sep 17, 2017

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
I pressed quote instead of edit, gently caress.

Here's a win I got after dropping way away from the plane's trajectory where I wasted a bunch of time and got poo poo loot but ended up killing a bunch players who are way better at shooting than me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1gz-5qK-6U

No good kar shots in this one, but I'm quite pleased with what I ended up doing with the UAZ so maybe others'll find it enjoyable.

Lex Neville fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Sep 17, 2017

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I swear to god every time this loving shroud guy shows up in youtube thumbnails or on twitch all I can think is that he has the look of someone who'd kill my entire family because they bought the wrong mac and cheese

Groovelord Neato posted:

get rid of the red zone.

lol no

cyanidewolf
Sep 1, 2007

Truly the corgiest of goodposts

Everyone knows you can only have looks or skills.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

ok, but, get rid of the red zone def

Shayl
Apr 11, 2007

Black Griffon posted:

I swear to god every time this loving shroud guy shows up in youtube thumbnails or on twitch all I can think is that he has the look of someone who'd kill my entire family because they bought the wrong mac and cheese

Haha he does. I actually watch his stream because the dude goes out of his way for frags instead of wins (he still wins a lot) and he just wrecks people and also has a pretty positive attitude while streaming. He isn't super whiny or douchey.

In other news I like BOTH modes so does that make me weird? I mostly like to play 3PP because I find it less scary and more relaxing. FPP is for when I want to jump out of my seat.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it does the opposite of what it's supposed to do.

shroud is a chill dude and is way better than other streamers cuz he goes hunting for kills. summit is impossible to watch cuz he does the "land near a vehicle, drive far from the circle, loot for 10 minutes, then drive to the circle" poo poo.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

it does what it does

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Goddamnit, two excruciating 2nd place solos in a row. I did, however, learn that the Mini-14 is absurd. :stare:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it exists to force people to move. it does the opposite. i doubt it'll ever kill me.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

more like you want it to force people to move and it doesn't

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i hope your shooting is better than your posting or you'll never get a chicken dindin.

Shayl
Apr 11, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

shroud is a chill dude and is way better than other streamers cuz he goes hunting for kills. summit is impossible to watch cuz he does the "land near a vehicle, drive far from the circle, loot for 10 minutes, then drive to the circle" poo poo.

shroud played a few games with summit last night and summit could not handle the fragging gameplay. He sucked and got them killed and then got really ragey.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Shayl posted:

shroud played a few games with summit last night and summit could not handle the fragging gameplay. He sucked and got them killed and then got really ragey.

Watching clips of summit just proves to me that people do really dumb poo poo with their money

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Shayl posted:

Haha he does. I actually watch his stream because the dude goes out of his way for frags instead of wins (he still wins a lot) and he just wrecks people and also has a pretty positive attitude while streaming. He isn't super whiny or douchey.

Groovelord Neato posted:

He sounds like my kind of streamer, but he still creeps me out y'know.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

Black Griffon posted:

I know what you mean, but it seems kind of unfair because of how nice he is, and not nice in a white knight delusional way.
Shroud and grimmz are like alter egos of the same person. Grimmz is shroud's evil twin or something.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Black Griffon posted:

He's the most boring, normal looking Canadian ever. He looks like a muppet when he opens his big mouth and feels about that threatening and thats before you hear him laugh

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Groovelord Neato posted:

Him and chocotaco are the two I watch. They both go out of their way to get kills with really different playstyles.

chocotaco is really good but some of the poo poo shroud does is just unreal. His target acquisition abilities can legit make it look like he's cheating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDgunpsujZU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

:holymoley:

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

WARNING: Temporal rift detected!
^That Shroud clip, drat.

Last night's final solo squad match was a blast, and I finally got a team wipe on video! I did totally fail at the end to pay attention to the circle however.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiOZO_fzN6s

dvorak fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Sep 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Black Griffon posted:

what

Shroud is super chill and also looks like some dopey stoner, how on earth are ytou getting that impression

• Locked thread