Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

ntan1 posted:

if you are not from japan the maximum you should pay for any flight is $100.

Both ANA/JAL have this promotion for foreigners.

I think that should read:

'Not living in Japan'
And
'Promotion for tourists'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Stringent posted:

If you want the best prices go to London Sports in Jimbocho: https://www.yelp.com/biz/%E3%83%AD%...%94%B0%E5%8C%BA

My personal preference for outdoor stuff is montbell: http://www.montbell.jp/

Thanks for the tips, London Sports unfortunately didn't have any boots or waterproof footwear in my size. Nice variety, but everything was just barely too big or small. One of the Victoria stores down the block got me sorted with a pair of rain boots! Hoping the rain doesn't get too crazy... :ohdear:

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice
So I'm headed to my flight to Tokyo now and I was just thinking -- is there a specific goon-approved phrasebook type app I should download? I guess I'm looking for something to have some canned phrases listed that I can just learn, but also the ability to look up individual vocab as needed.

I lived in China for a year in college, so I can kind of get the gist of a lot of characters, but I've heard that it might be wise for me to learn katakana? If so, is there an ideal flash card type app for that?

Thanks!

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

unbutthurtable posted:

So I'm headed to my flight to Tokyo now and I was just thinking -- is there a specific goon-approved phrasebook type app I should download? I guess I'm looking for something to have some canned phrases listed that I can just learn, but also the ability to look up individual vocab as needed.

I lived in China for a year in college, so I can kind of get the gist of a lot of characters, but I've heard that it might be wise for me to learn katakana? If so, is there an ideal flash card type app for that?

Thanks!

すみません (sumimasen - sue-me-ma-sen: sorry/excuse me; this one will be used the most)
これ (kore - co-ray: this one; point at the same time)
ありがとうございます (arigato gozaimasu - ah-ree-gah-toe go-za-ee-mas: thank you; nod your head a little for maximum effect)

you don't need to know anything, but those 3 will do basically get you through any situation where you're interacting with someone who isn't responding body language.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Go-zai-mish-tah after arigato when you're thanking for something that is already done/happened.

Ie: sumimasen to get a waiter's attention for another beer or to order, arigato gozaimas when they take your order, arigato gozaimishta as you're leaving.

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice

VelociBacon posted:

Go-zai-mish-tah after arigato when you're thanking for something that is already done/happened.

Ie: sumimasen to get a waiter's attention for another beer or to order, arigato gozaimas when they take your order, arigato gozaimishta as you're leaving.

So, like, in an example I'll be dealing with in a few hours... immigration dude stamps my passport, my response should be "arigato gozaimashita?" Plus maybe a little nod/head bow?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

unbutthurtable posted:

So, like, in an example I'll be dealing with in a few hours... immigration dude stamps my passport, my response should be "arigato gozaimashita?" Plus maybe a little nod/head bow?

Basically just think of it like saying "Thanks for that" in English.

I wouldn't gently caress with anything at immigration just answer their questions and move on. Or make a joke about NK.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

throw a fit about the photograph and digital fingerprinting. they will respect your determined spirit.

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice
bushido means not taking poo poo from anyone, got it

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

VelociBacon posted:

It's gozaimashita.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Okaikei kudasai (oh kye kay koo da sigh) is a way to ask for a bill at a bar or restaurant, very useful one that classes never taught me.

Also, okawari (oh kah wah ree) if you want another serving of a drink.

Of all the writing systems, katakana is the most helpful since then you can read menu items for English-language things like fast food or drinks.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Stringent posted:

It's gozaimashita.

It's azass あざっす and azasshta あざっした

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

In Tokyo.
Around here we say Aitozaimas.

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice

Question Mark Mound posted:

Okaikei kudasai (oh kye kay koo da sigh) is a way to ask for a bill at a bar or restaurant, very useful one that classes never taught me.

Also, okawari (oh kah wah ree) if you want another serving of a drink.

Of all the writing systems, katakana is the most helpful since then you can read menu items for English-language things like fast food or drinks.

So, would it be okawari kudasai for "another round please" since I think I saw kudasai means please?

Also general thank you to everyone for the tips

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Yes
or just hold the glass and say Okawari!!!!

You'll be fine though like Japan* assumes that every non asian person is a tourist and that any tourist ever can't speak or read Japanese

*There will still be plenty of staff who try to clarify by talking louder and faster and even more polite. Simplifying conversation is a learned skill, not a natural talent.

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice

peanut posted:

Yes
or just hold the glass and say Okawari!!!!

You'll be fine though like Japan* assumes that every non asian person is a tourist and that any tourist ever can't speak or read Japanese

*There will still be plenty of staff who try to clarify by talking louder and faster and even more polite. Simplifying conversation is a learned skill, not a natural talent.

Oh yeah, I'm not worried at all. I just like to try to speak a language as much as I reasonably can while on vacation. Not a huge deal if I gently caress up or revert to gestures

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

peanut posted:

throw a fit about the photograph and digital fingerprinting. they will respect your determined spirit.

lol

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice
Just settled into my Airbnb and on all the beds, it's just a fitted sheet and then a comforter. And in the tatami room with the futons, it's just velvety mattress with a comforter.

Anyway, this won't do for my delicate sensibilities, so anyone have a rec on a department store or something in Shinjuku where I can pick up a set of sheets? I'm here for like 10 nights so I think it's worth the investment

Also I just downloaded line. Is it worth joining the group for a couple days? If so, how do I join?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

unbutthurtable posted:

Just settled into my Airbnb and on all the beds, it's just a fitted sheet and then a comforter. And in the tatami room with the futons, it's just velvety mattress with a comforter.

Anyway, this won't do for my delicate sensibilities, so anyone have a rec on a department store or something in Shinjuku where I can pick up a set of sheets? I'm here for like 10 nights so I think it's worth the investment

Also I just downloaded line. Is it worth joining the group for a couple days? If so, how do I join?

Muji has sheets.

https://www.muji.net/store/

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
Put a futon on the bed and another futon on you if you're cold.

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice
I only have eight futons to work with so I have to be economical.

I'm at sushi zanmai now and will be hitting muji in a few, so thanks for the recs btw

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The comforter cover is removable/washable so it takes the place of a top sheet.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

oh, then you're probably not going to like the hotel pillows full of pebbles.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Futons and sacks of rocks suck rear end, sorry Japan your bedding sucks. But beds across East Asia are awful so you're in good company.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

I switched to a 1000 yen soba pillow earlier this year, no regrets.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
hard beds are good for the spine or something.

plus, if you are asian and already used to hard beds japanese beds are great.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
futons are camping on the inside!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

ntan1 posted:

hard beds are good for the spine or something.

yeah Asia likes to claim that yet this is the only part of the world I regularly see people permanently bent at 90 degree angles, so suck my balls

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Yeah but in Japan at least ppls sole source of calcium was accidentally ingested fish bones so imagine how bad they'd be without the beds.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I've been told it's because of farm labor.
No, it's from slouching and seiza (and boring poetry.)

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

bent at 90 degree angles, so suck my balls

"Hey grams, while you're down there..."

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice
I ended up stacking four futons on top of each other, which was actually pretty comfortable. The pebble pillow was actually fine, by the way.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

unbutthurtable posted:

Definitely do this, and leave notifications on, and turn your ringer all the way up

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Looks like my parents are genuinely interested in a Japan trip sometime next year. As was suggested, I told them April-May would be a good time to visit, except for during Golden Week. I have a basic idea of "tour some castles, do some hiking, maybe some flower viewing or cherry blossoms if the timing is right", and I've got my itinerary of "eat all the food I can find and pick up some nerd merch", but I have no earthly idea what else to do that a couple of mid-50s doctors would enjoy. They probably won't want to go all the way to Hokkaido, and although Okinawa and the islands seem pretty great I don't think they'd be as interested as I am, so we'll prolly be on Honshu. The Osaka area could be cool, but they'll want to tour Tokyo at the very least. So, probably the western coast?

I can read some Japanese (though my kanji skills aren't that great), but I'm far from conversational. Do you think it's a good idea to get some practice in between now and April-May of next year, or should I just wing it? I have no idea how I'd practice Japanese in the middle of Massachusetts, but I can shitpost on Twitter at least.

My parents will probably only want to do 7~10 days of in-Japan time, which is a pretty short amount IMO. I heard that two weeks is more worthwhile, but not everyone gets that much time off...if we can't make it two weeks, any suggestions for a whirlwind tour? Otherwise, load me up with recs :getin:

Also, my dad's into cycling. Any good cycling tours out there?

EDIT: Oh yeah, I'm totally up for goonmeets too :v:

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Sep 18, 2017

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
If they're OK with not going to Tokyo...

Onomichi for the bike ride (2-3 days)
Hiroshima (1-2 days)
Himeji Castle (day trip)
Nara (day trip)
Kyoto (day trip or 1-2 days)
Misc walking around town days in Kobe/Osaka (filler)

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Traveller trick:

Do not go specifically to Tokyo just to see cherry blossoms, unless you want to enjoy the ritual of being in very crowded parks taking pictures of cherry blossoms with 400 other tourists in the picture. Instead, any of the minor cities outside of Kyoto and Tokyo will be way better. For example, here is a picture of cherry blossoms in Maizuru Park, Fukuoka, where you will notice the complete lack of tourists (note there are still a couple).

The week after golden week, or the first or second week of April is a good time to travel from the US. They correspond with times when Japanese people are either starting school or just getting back from vacation.

Cycling: Shimanami Kaido aka Shimanami bridge aka Onomichi/Imabari. Given that, you can stop in Hiroshima as well.

Gonna go off the deep end and recommend that you actually skip Kyoto, Nara, and Himeji, unless you magically can get one of the rare connections on the west coast of the US that take you across the pacific to Kansai (these are expensive). Instead, do Tokyo, Hiroshima, Matsuyama and maybe like Fukuoka, which would let you see another minor city AND go on the Shimanami Kaido.

There are $100 flights from Matsuyama to Fukuoka, and there are $100 flights from Tokyo to any of the cities listed above. Just make sure you are looking at the JAL Explore Japan fare or ANA Experience Japan fare.

If you go to Japan again, then you can make a trip that encompasses Kansai or Kyoto region predominantly.

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pollyanna posted:

Looks like my parents are genuinely interested in a Japan trip sometime next year. As was suggested, I told them April-May would be a good time to visit, except for during Golden Week. I have a basic idea of "tour some castles, do some hiking, maybe some flower viewing or cherry blossoms if the timing is right", and I've got my itinerary of "eat all the food I can find and pick up some nerd merch", but I have no earthly idea what else to do that a couple of mid-50s doctors would enjoy.

Don't worry, they'll love it no matter what you do. Japan is basically set up for the convenience and enjoyment of old people, so everybody's parents love it.

Don't go to Kyoto during cherry blossom time. Miyajima in Hiroshima would be a better choice, still crowded but you can still enjoy it.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Was anyone Japan willing to see if they could buy some shameful merch for me in exchange for a service fee and or care package from fatmerica?

I'm in Los Angeles. The site I wanted to use has a Japanese and English option. The english side marks goods as sold out but on the japanese there's still an open order button so I'm not sure what to think

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
I do that kind of stuff all the time. Shoot me a PM with the details and I'll see if I can help you with your indulgences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Please expose the shamefulness of the merch requested, thanks