Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved

Tigren posted:

Post a pack list so we know what you already have.

Not sure how to best get it here from Excel. Well okay, Excel exported this ugly rear end image - it will have to do I guess.

The right columns list the stuff I could imagine going without, though I am not sure the weight difference is worth it. I am used to eating cold food powder mix every day but having some tea might be a nice break from monotony now and then.

Estimated trip duration is 10 days, though I expect I can get a resupply at 7 days in to stretch it out to 14 if I am feeling particularly weak or evac if I develop some blocking issues like blood pouring out of my foot or similar.

I am going to the Oandu-Aegviidu-Ikla hiking route which is basically flat forest terrain. We do not really have any slopes nearby, so just a bunch of forest (interspersed with some stretches of road).

Weather report says to expect much rain and potentially a few nights that drop below freezing. I am relatively weather resistant but I expect I will need a good dose of HTFU regardless.

EssOEss fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Sep 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Quick glance: You have way too many bottles. Why do you need three 1.5L bottles and a shaker? That's a lot of dead weight after the first bottle empties. Use wide mouth bottles and shake in the bottle. A standard 70cc protein powder scoop is the exact same size as a 500mL Nalgene wide mouth.

Also I don't understand the electrolytes entries. Is it 38g*10? You're always carrying 2L of that plus all the other water through the full day? Are there no water sources?

Do you usually carry this much stuff? What's the max you've carried and how far? 30 kilos is not a tiny number.

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved
A bottle is just a few dozen grams, hardly anything, so I am not very worried about their empty weight. This is the number of bottles that enable me to carry the water I need. Using a shaker as a bottle (or vice versa) is a good thought, though - I had not considered that. Might allow me to save... well actually not much, the bottles I have are very light and these would not work as shakers. But it is a thought to consider for sure.

I plan to carry a total of 6.5L of water with me with a full load, yes (2L + 3x1.5L). That is approximately a day's worth of water for me (possibly with a small reserve) based on previous experience. Perhaps my body will acclimatize for less over a few days? That would be nice but remains to be seen. I assume I can resupply water every day. Yes, that's 10x38g of powder.

I have done a few smaller day hikes around this weight, yes, though I would not expect it to be easy. Less would be better but well, what you gonna do. I have a much lighter tent but that's too small for comfortable use. The water is... well, it is just what I go through per day, so I can't really do anything about that. The food - I plan to eat powdered food, so I need to bring it with me (on the plus side, the pack will get lighter by some food each day!). The rest are mostly small things that add up. The tea and coffee boiling stuff I wonder about still but the more I think about it, the more I think I will probably appreciate some good tea as a treat to split the monotony. Might try to cut a few hundred g by just getting a cup I can boil water in, without the need to bring a separate cooking container. The clothes I try to minimize but it looks to be cold, rainy and windy so I can't go very light there, either.

EssOEss fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Sep 12, 2017

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Yea I find I need 5L+ of water each day of hiking myself to stay hydrated. I wonder how much variance there is from person to person. I'm 6'3" and 175lb, but if I don't drink 5L I won't pee at all.

My last weekend trip I woke up, hiked 11 miles with 3000' elevation gain. Drank 4L throughout the day. Didn't pee once. It wasn't until I was in camp for 4+ hours and about to go to sleep that I managed to pee a nominal amount.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

EssOEss posted:

I plan to carry a total of 6.5L of water with me with a full load, yes (2L + 3x1.5L). That is approximately a day's worth of water for me (possibly with a small reserve) based on previous experience.

Thats 15lbs of water without the weight of the bottles/bladders.

I'm a pretty safe guy but I wouldn't carry 15lbs of water at one time for any reason unless I was hiking somewhere that water sources were unreliable or spread really far apart.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
The list looks like a good start, but like the others here I'm a bit concerned about the sheer amount of weight you're taking on. 30 kg (65 lbs) is very significant amount for such a long journey. I've carried that much, but it isn't fun and I wouldn't do it without a good reason. Hopefully you're a big guy, which will make that kind of weight more bearable, but even so a lighter pack would be more enjoyable.

I'd echo the suggestions to try pruning. Clothing is one area: Do you really need three pairs of pants, four sets of socks, six shirts/jackets, six pairs of underwear, plus accessories? That's a lot for a 10-14 day trip. I bet you could get rid of one of those pairs of pants and a couple shirts/jackets very easily. And then water is an issue too: If I were you I'd figure out ahead of time where you will be able to refill your water each day, and then just carry enough to get there comfortably. The website says that drinking water isn't available at the campsites - is that because there isn't enough water around or because there's so much that they aren't bothering to dig wells? 6.5 kg (15 lb) of water seems excessive unless you're sure that you won't be able to refill at any point during the day. And from what I can see, it looks like the area you're hiking is absolutely chock full of streams and ponds. I also notice that you aren't carrying water purification tablets or a pump, which makes me think that you're trying to avoid purifying water by just carrying it all with you and refilling at the nature centers. That's certainly your prerogative, but that is a really difficult way of doing it.

Beyond that, I'd say that your tent and boots both seem a bit heavy for what you're doing, but you're probably not going to switch them out at this point. Anyway, the feedback that I'd give is to reexamine how much of this you actually need. If you need it all, great, but I think that you could probably do without some of this stuff. Encourage yourself to be willing to give up some more of your creature comforts on this journey and you'll probably be happier for it.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Sep 12, 2017

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Verman posted:

Thats 15lbs of water without the weight of the bottles/bladders.

I'm a pretty safe guy but I wouldn't carry 15lbs of water at one time for any reason unless I was hiking somewhere that water sources were unreliable or spread really far apart.

There were a couple 30+ mile water-less stretches on the PCT. In the middle of the desert. In the middle of summer. Those were brutal water carries and it wasn't weird to see people with 6 or 7 liters of water. A lot of people just altered their schedules and slept during the day and hiked at night.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
4 hours of intermittent lightning storms and drenching rain was fun last night!

Tough trip...great adventure and locations but tiring as hell. Crabtree pass and down through Miter Basin is tiring and slow going...

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Streams and ponds? A Sawyer mini and pouch costs $25 and weighs like 3oz.

Do you drink constantly or chug? You can make 2L of water with the mini in a couple minutes and count it as a break. Think of it, you drop the 4.5L of spare and your pack weight drops 15%. For $25 and ten minutes of filling water? :clint:

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Unfiltered for life

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

George H.W. oval office posted:

Unfiltered for life

Squirts for lyfe

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Well my Glacier NP trip is in serious jeopardy now. I dont trust the wildfires to not spread and cause more trail closures and evacuations, and even if they didnt close the area near the fire that I had permits for I'm not sure inahling all of that smoke and the hazy views would be worth the trip. So with that said, I'm trying to come up with some alternatives within a reasonable drive of Spokane.

I was thinking about Yellowstone but have no idea if it would be to busy to have any hopes of getting any backcountry advanced permits for. Does anyone have any recommendations on good multi day hikes in Yellowstone or the area? Unfortunately all of the West seems on fire right now.

I just got back from there, and it really depends on what direction the wind's blowing. When the Sprague Creek fire blew up from a strong wind out of the east, everything from Walton to the North Fork was really smoky, anywhere from 0.5 to 2 miles visibility, maybe. But, pretty much everything on the east side of the park was OK. It wasn't picture-perfect, but there's so many other fires in the Pacific Northwest that it never was going to be.

I took that on I think Monday or Tuesday last week.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

It's sad that the Sperry Chalet there in Glacier burned down a couple weeks ago. :(

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

About half of Waterton National Park, attached to the American Glacier National Park, as the International Peace Park has been burned by forest fire in the past 24 hours. The town as of right now is untouched although the visitor's center at the entrance to the park is lost. Earlier today they had 4 water bombers trying to save the town. I've been watching the data and it hasn't spread this evening yet.

Edit: Parks Canada has an updated map up:

SulfurMonoxideCute fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Sep 13, 2017

slothzilla
Dec 19, 2003

Tigren posted:

Squirts for lyfe

Lactose intolerant for lyfe :(

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

It's sad that the Sperry Chalet there in Glacier burned down a couple weeks ago. :(

Yeah, but that terrain is so rugged out there, you can't get heavy equipment in there to cut out fire breaks and light backfires, which basically means you've got no realistic chance of containing the fire. Even though the park's very large, it won't be many more years before everything has been hit by a fire within the last 30 years or so.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

single-mode fiber posted:

Yeah, but that terrain is so rugged out there, you can't get heavy equipment in there to cut out fire breaks and light backfires, which basically means you've got no realistic chance of containing the fire. Even though the park's very large, it won't be many more years before everything has been hit by a fire within the last 30 years or so.

Fires are a key part of the parks ecology. The lodgepole pine almost requires fires to reproduce, they melt the resin which seal its cones. Still sad if you had a visit planned at the time!

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

pointsofdata posted:

Fires are a key part of the parks ecology. The lodgepole pine almost requires fires to reproduce, they melt the resin which seal its cones. Still sad if you had a visit planned at the time!

The problem is that the fires have been suppressed for so long, that all the accumulated underbrush causes them to burn extremely hot, sterilizing the soil and killing off the previously fire resistant trees.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

OSU_Matthew posted:

The problem is that the fires have been suppressed for so long, that all the accumulated underbrush causes them to burn extremely hot, sterilizing the soil and killing off the previously fire resistant trees.

amazing how good humans are at loving nature up

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Yeah it's really sad. My girlfriend's family is close with the couple that managed it and the other chalet, and they're absolutely devastated. Apparently the last remaining one isn't nearly as nice as Sperry was. But then again, fire was the fate of all the other chalets that were built in that area. It's unavoidable unless you're willing to take a chainsaw to the surrounding area, and what's the point of that?

Kaal
May 22, 2002

OSU_Matthew posted:

It's true it's a problem, and frankly the solution is that we have to invest in forest management programs that will do managed burns in the spring and fall. It would be much more efficient than having to deploy thousands of firefighters every summer, but it involves federal spending and good luck convincing Republicans to plan ahead.

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved
Thanks for the advice on what to bring on a long hike y'all! I did a quick and dirty trial hike yesterday/today and tried to iron out any kinks. Looks good to go so far - the weight is actually less effortful than I expected, should be totally doable (famous last words). No pain, just felt some load. Did not change much in the equipment list or drop anything significant - I took to heart the wise words of whoever it was above who said I need the things that keep me sane!

It was raining like mad, which corresponds nicely with the weather I expect over the next few weeks, so I got to thinking about my rain preparedness. Specifically, how do I avoid making a wet blob out of my tent when I pack it up in the morning. So far, I thought of two things: pack the inner layer up separately (I am pretty sure I can pack it up without exiting the tent) and to cross my fingers for a few dry hours around my lunch break so I can hang the outer layer to dry. Anything else I should keep in mind with regard to avoiding the big wet?

Hmm, I need to figure out some waterproofing for my mp3 player, though - it glitched out big time in the humidity.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

pointsofdata posted:

amazing how good humans are at loving nature up

Even the indigenous people altered the environment and depleted all the resources in surrounding areas :(

EssOEss posted:

Thanks for the advice on what to bring on a long hike y'all! I did a quick and dirty trial hike yesterday/today and tried to iron out any kinks. Looks good to go so far - the weight is actually less effortful than I expected, should be totally doable (famous last words). No pain, just felt some load. Did not change much in the equipment list or drop anything significant - I took to heart the wise words of whoever it was above who said I need the things that keep me sane!

It was raining like mad, which corresponds nicely with the weather I expect over the next few weeks, so I got to thinking about my rain preparedness. Specifically, how do I avoid making a wet blob out of my tent when I pack it up in the morning. So far, I thought of two things: pack the inner layer up separately (I am pretty sure I can pack it up without exiting the tent) and to cross my fingers for a few dry hours around my lunch break so I can hang the outer layer to dry. Anything else I should keep in mind with regard to avoiding the big wet?

Hmm, I need to figure out some waterproofing for my mp3 player, though - it glitched out big time in the humidity.

You're gonna get wet, just embrace the suck. If your tent has an outer rain fly, you can pack up underneath that, and then stuff/attach it to your outer pack to dry it a little throughout the day. If it's raining nonstop for days, it's just gonna suck, no to ways about it, and everything is gonna get wet. I love hammocks because you can pitch the tarp and set up/pack up underneath where it's dry. For me, that's the key.

It may be bearable for a short time, but sixty pounds is unreal, that's military levels of slipped disc suck. If you're doing this for your personal enjoyment, remember a lighter pack = a happy back. If you want proof of this, just look at the first 20-30 miles of the Appalachian Trail and all the trash and gear people ditch, because it just sucks. You'll figure this out as you go along, just be prepared to start trashing poo poo along the way if you want to finish. No thru hiker does sixty pounds by the end... I think you'd be a lot happier to face that upfront.

For one, only carry 2-3 liters of water if there's reliable sources on your route, and bring a 40$ BeFree or 20$ Sawyer squeeze to treat as you go. Water is way more important than anything else, and having a filter is (to me) one of the most essential pieces of kit). Apologies if you already have one, I just don't recall seeing it in your earlier post.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Theme in Finland this autumn has been rain, followed by rain. I bought a marmot precip tall rain jacket so I can compare how it works out vs. a rain poncho. Poncho has its good sides but it's really cumbersome also.

Anyways, when it sometimes doesn't rain, it's windy and I need a jacket. I've been using my old fjällräven räven which is 650 grams. It's made from waxed polycotton with no lining, and it can stand a very light rain and doesn't let all the wind through. I've been eyeballing wind shirts to replace it, since to be honest the jacket doesn't offer that much.

Fjällräven makes abisko wind shirt but the problem is my rear end is 110cm wide and abisko has only 104cm bottom circumference (size L). Also it still weighs 200g. Can you guys recommend any wind shirts(jackets) which fit a somewhat large rear end, have long hem and sleeves (I'm 6'6" tall)? Patagonia houdini is often recommended but the manufacturer doesn't give out useful size charts in their webpage...

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Sep 14, 2017

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved
I use an Icepeak does-not-have-any-name-written-on-it for outdoor activity in windy/wet conditions and found it to be quite comfy and somewhat long (compared to others I have used). It is 434 grams (size L) and quite sturdy against moderate cold and wind. I cannot find this exact model on their website, though, at least from the images, so can't point you directly at one but maybe check out their product line.

I would be interested to hear your thoughts about poncho versus jacket. I am considering whether to bring a rain jacket on my hike and currently I see benefits either way, so have not made up my mind yet.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Well I just got it today so I need to try the jacket first. Of course there's no rain in the forecast for the next week or so... unbelievable!

My poncho is 4m^2 and one thing I've noticed that while it keeps me warm, and my backpack dry, it collects a ton of condensation/sweat or whatever inside. Basically it's completely covered in water on both sides. So it's a huge mess of wet, clammy cloth which is quite hard to get dry. I've been trying to turn it inside out and wipe it dry but it is futile.

I presume that the Marmot Precip will also be wet from inside, but hopefully it's a lot easier to get dry. Also it covers my long arms a lot better and there's less fiddling with the backpack, the jacket shouldn't be as cumbersome while doing stuff etc. One downside is that it requires more maintenance, washing, reapplying DWR etc. but I don't mind off trail maintenance that much.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Ihmemies posted:

Theme in Finland this autumn has been rain, followed by rain. I bought a marmot precip tall rain jacket so I can compare how it works out vs. a rain poncho. Poncho has its good sides but it's really cumbersome also.

Anyways, when it sometimes doesn't rain, it's windy and I need a jacket. I've been using my old fjällräven räven which is 650 grams. It's made from waxed polycotton with no lining, and it can stand a very light rain and doesn't let all the wind through. I've been eyeballing wind shirts to replace it, since to be honest the jacket doesn't offer that much.

Fjällräven makes abisko wind shirt but the problem is my rear end is 110cm wide and abisko has only 104cm bottom circumference (size L). Also it still weighs 200g. Can you guys recommend any wind shirts(jackets) which fit a somewhat large rear end, have long hem and sleeves (I'm 6'6" tall)? Patagonia houdini is often recommended but the manufacturer doesn't give out useful size charts in their webpage...

I grew up in Oregon where it rains consistently for 3/4 of the year, and I've always just used my Marmot as a wind/rain combo jacket. It has zippered armpits so it's pretty good at doing both things. I've never had a poncho, though I assume that it would be useful for areas where you're likely to get constant heavy rain, and particularly when it's quite warm and humid at the same time.

Ihmemies posted:

My poncho is 4m^2 and one thing I've noticed that while it keeps me warm, and my backpack dry, it collects a ton of condensation/sweat or whatever inside. Basically it's completely covered in water on both sides. So it's a huge mess of wet, clammy cloth which is quite hard to get dry. I've been trying to turn it inside out and wipe it dry but it is futile.

That's really interesting, because I would have assumed the opposite, that it was quite good at preventing condensation, etc., so that you remained relatively dry and didn't have to deal with clammy fabric. The Marmot isn't perfect either, but it's not bad, so I'll be interested in hearing your comparison of the two.

EssOEss posted:

There really isn't a good way to do it, though those are certainly good things to try. The only real solution is to switch to a hammock or a bivy, which are smaller and easier to dry. Probably the best thing to do is just keep a weather eye open so you can take advantage of any windows.

quote:

You could try using one of the Apple-style headphones that has a small control pad to switch tracks and stop/play. That way you could just keep your audio player zippered in your jacket or something. You could try jerry-rigging a ziplock cover, but I'd be concerned about condensing water getting trapped inside the bag.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Sep 16, 2017

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
I started massing things six weeks ago and have been monitoring things like food more closely in hopes of whittling things down. In the interest of thread-shared silliness, here's the current plan for the 5dy (or more), 75mi (or more), 6500m ascent / 6200m descent:
code:
# lb                grams               Things
5.5                 2100                Backpack, dry weight
1.0                 440                 Tent:  Poles, stakes
1.9                 880                 Tent:  Rainfly, ground cloth, dry weight
6.0                 2730                Compression:  Sleeping bag, tent main, clothes (sleeping light thermals/socks/uw, lounge shirt/uw, 2nd hiking shirt/uw/shorts, 1set spare socks).
1.1                 475                 Sleeping pad, inflatable, pillow
#
0.3                 120                 Hat, mittens
0.2                 100                 Spare socks, 1 set
0.9                 420                 Raincoat, dry
0.5                 230                 Gaiters, dry
0.7                 320                 Rainpants, dry
1.0                 440                 Trekking poles
0.8                 350                 Microspikes
#
1.0                 468                 Medkit:  Sawyer mini, , paracord, 1st aide, silicon, boot laces, headlamp, knife.
0.1                 60                  Tape, athletic, full roll
0.2                 90                  Sunblock, bug lotion
0                   20                  Sunglasses
0.2                 90                  TP
0.2                 88                  Chemical heat (4)
#
0.3                 120                 Water bladder, Platypus with hose, dry weight
0.2                 90                  Nalgene, wide mouth, 500mL, empty
0.1                 50                  Platypus 2L spare bladder, dry weight
#
0.1                 50                  B12 packets (5)
0                   0                   Bullion cubes (3)
0.8                 380                 Chocolate chips (2c)
0.5                 204                 Clifbar (3)
0.5                 242                 Cous Cous (1c)
0.1                 25                  Custom hydration (20L equivalent) (5)
0.3                 140                 Liquor (5oz)
0.4                 210                 Nature Valley Granola Bar (5)
0.3                 140                 Nut medley (cashews, pecans) (1c)
0.3                 140                 Nuun (15)
0.6                 294                 Peanuts (2c)
0.4                 183                 Pilot biscuits (8.2)
0.3                 150                 Protein, ON, vanilla, 5 scoops
0.4                 190                 Protein, cytogainer, vanilla, 5 scoops
0.6                 288                 Raisins (1.5c)
0.3                 120                 Salami (1")
0.2                 100                 Sugar (8Tbsp)
4.4                 2000                Water, carried, 2L
#
0.2                 100                 GPS, no batteries
0.1                 60                  Guide10, no batteries
0.6                 283                 NiMH (2/day*5dy)
0.6                 270                 Cellular phone, USB cable
0.2                 70                  Drivers license, keys
#
0.1                 40                  Spike, Kage
0                   320                 Book, pencil
#
0.2                 100                 JetBoil canister

15680               34.496lb total
Oh please let it only be 35lb. I'm still shrugging on the gaiters/spikes/rainpants, which will probably depend on the weather forecast. I prefer spikes to poles for footing, but I usually don't bother wasting time putting them on if it's dry, and end up just seriously straining on steep dirt trails. Gaiters are more versatile, but they definitely won't cover my legs when I'm sitting around in the 45F evening air. I was thinking about transferring the emergency blanket into my big pack, but they're kinda hard to wrap back up so that might not be practical for leg wrapping.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

When it's wet using a tent is annoying, you need somehow to try to avoid condensation inside the tent. It's best to hope it's windy and put up your tent so wind drives condensation away. I usually use a ground sheet (tyvek or something) because the campsites here are often very wet, so my inner tent's floor would be a mess otherwise.

In the morning I pack up my hopefully mostly dry innertent, then remove groundsheet, then try to dry the fly as well as possible and then pack it separately away. Pity I realized silnylon is good and lightweight only in nice weather. Otherwise nylon apparently is hydrophilic and it soaks so much water. The fly stretches and becomes soggy, wet and heavy even after a light, quick rain. Doesn't matter too much in one or two night trips, but I can't imagine how fun it would be if your silnylon tent fly is wet whole week.

I've been also looking at 1p tents since my 2p tent is often just dead weight. Cuben is expensive but Yama uses silpoly, which apparently doesn't absorb as much water as silnylon. Someone in Reddit said Yama mountain gear maybe makes custom sized tents, like 10-20 longer if you ask. I wouldn't mind a 20cm higher too. In fact when I think about it most tents are 10-20% too small for me. https://www.yamamountaingear.com/double-wall-tents/ - that looks pretty good, altough there's only a bare minimum of room for me and my gear...

Anyways, no rain yesterday so I didn't get to try out the rain shell jacket yet. But it was quite cold, and a beanie and a buff is not enough at 6C with a quilt. Well even at campsite they weren't that warm, but while sleeping I was too cold to sleep comfortably. I had a quite firm thermarest xtherm pad so my theory is that I just need better head insulation with a quilt. Apex insulated bacalavas are expensive, but maybe worth it?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I just use a fleece balaclava for those temps. Sometimes even have to take it off at night

Not sure I'd get an insulated one unless you'll be below freezing a lot

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Levitate posted:

I just use a fleece balaclava for those temps. Sometimes even have to take it off at night

Not sure I'd get an insulated one unless you'll be below freezing a lot

Well I'll bring my winter mummy bag for below freezing stuff anyways, it's so much nicer in cold. Fleece bacalava doesn't sound like it would be that much warmer than fleece beanie+buff. Maybe it is then, depending on the thickness of the fleece. Anyways those insulated bacalavas weight only like 70grams, even my drinking cup is twice the weight.

How much you guys get out during winter? I've made only short overnight trips and one thing I've noticed that gear takes a lot more room. My GG Mariposa is nice enough for three season stuff, but the 35 liter main bag just doesn't have much space for bulkier gear or places to strap larger gear outside.

I have an old, large backpack but it's like 3,6kg because it's way, way overbuilt and full of useless pouches and stuff. I'd like a lighter one and I've been eyeing Seek Outside's external frame bags. They are maybe 300-600 grams heavier (so, nothing basically) but 2-3x larger depending on the model.

Anyways.. they don't have hydration pouches or holes for the hose. Water in bladder stays a lot warmer inside a backpack, you can wrap some insulation around it etc. Water bottles outside the backpack are just nasty. I can't understand why none of the bags support hydration systems. At least they apparently have hangers inside so I could do my own pouch. Maybe they could do one hydration port for me if I asked nicely (and paid extra)...

Edit: maybe they're concerned about water getting inside from the hole, but that is so very unlikely unless you throw the bag into a river. Or maybe they use some crappy hydration systems without any maintenance and they just leak all over the place.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Sep 18, 2017

copen
Feb 2, 2003
Untitled by Parker Boutell, on Flickr

Quick overnight trip this weekend, was very windy and cold when we go there. Was worth it to stay and fish at this pretty place.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Ihmemies posted:

Anyways, no rain yesterday so I didn't get to try out the rain shell jacket yet. But it was quite cold, and a beanie and a buff is not enough at 6C with a quilt. Well even at campsite they weren't that warm, but while sleeping I was too cold to sleep comfortably. I had a quite firm thermarest xtherm pad so my theory is that I just need better head insulation with a quilt. Apex insulated bacalavas are expensive, but maybe worth it?

Are you wearing a pair of soft gloves or mittens? Gloves are often under-appreciated for how much they can improve your insulation given how small they are, but they can really help. A balaclava might help as well, maybe get one that can also convert into a neck buff so you can do a replacement rather than an addition? I've got a fleece Black Diamond Coefficient that I picked up on sale, and I really like it. It certainly is warmer than a fleece beanie and a buff and comes in at 92g. Those Apex balaclavas are shockingly light though (like seriously, the standard version weighs less than a pack of Bic pens) so that is probably an appeal.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Sep 18, 2017

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Speaking of hats, does anyone have any favorite beanies they'd recommend? I always meant to buy an alpaca wool beanie from MountainGoat, but she's developed arthritis and doesn't make them anymore.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I have a few cheap poly ones from Columbia that I love, but for me 80% of what I want from a beanie is a perfect fit, so I just kept trying ones on until I found it.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Kaal posted:

Are you wearing a pair of soft gloves or mittens? Gloves are often under-appreciated for how much they can improve your insulation given how small they are, but they can really help. A balaclava might help as well, maybe get one that can also convert into a neck buff so you can do a replacement rather than an addition? I've got a fleece Black Diamond Coefficient that I picked up on sale, and I really like it. It certainly is warmer than a fleece beanie and a buff and comes in at 92g. Those Apex balaclavas are shockingly light though (like seriously, the standard version weighs less than a pack of Bic pens) so that is probably an appeal.

I have quite thick knit wool gloves without fingertips. They're good in most weather, but in winter I need to add mittens so my fingertips won't freeze.

I guess I could go to a test overnight trip and bring both my mummy bag and the quilt to see if that 20F ee quilt really too cold even in above freezing conditions. I think there was some other reason for being cold though.

Maybe the ground was colder than usual? It was a very thin 3-4cm layer of soil on top of granite bedrock. I had to use rocks and wood to put up my tent since stakes were a non-starter. Or maybe I should have drawn the quilt even tighter around myself. I ordered a large quilt because the weight difference was minimal. Who knows. Mummy bags are so much easier to use!

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Sep 18, 2017

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

OSU_Matthew posted:

Speaking of hats, does anyone have any favorite beanies they'd recommend? I always meant to buy an alpaca wool beanie from MountainGoat, but she's developed arthritis and doesn't make them anymore.

Depends on weather and temps. I use Tierra beanies in winter since they have a layer which blocks wind partially. I have a long neck so I can't use hoods with jackets.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Ihmemies posted:

Depends on weather and temps. I use Tierra beanies in winter since they have a layer which blocks wind partially. I have a long neck so I can't use hoods with jackets.

Look at jackets with hoods designed to go over climbing helmets, I know arcteryx makes a bunch like that.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Ihmemies posted:

I have quite thick knit wool gloves without fingertips. They're good in most weather, but in winter I need to add mittens so my fingertips won't freeze.

I guess I could go to a test overnight trip and bring both my mummy bag and the quilt to see if that 20F ee quilt really too cold even in above freezing conditions. I think there was some other reason for being cold though.

Maybe the ground was colder than usual? It was a very thin 3-4cm layer of soil on top of granite bedrock. I had to use rocks and wood to put up my tent since stakes were a non-starter. Or maybe I should have drawn the quilt even tighter around myself. I ordered a large quilt because the weight difference was minimal. Who knows. Mummy bags are so much easier to use!

What temp is your quilt rated at?

Are you sure you weren't getting drafts?

I have a pretty warm quilt (10F) so maybe that's why I can get by using a fleece balaclava or going bare headed in certain temps. My body sometimes get quite warm if the temps don't dip towards freezing and I have to vent some heat.

If you've got a light quilt and are getting drafts then it could make you pretty cold. You also don't want a ton of extra space in there with you to have to heat up all that air, but not too tight so you're compressing the insulation...

Maybe it was just one of those weird nights, who knows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Ihmemies posted:

Pretty much all weather and temps, down to below zero. Though, when it gets into the single digits I usually just break out the sheepskin hat during the day and then double up my wiggys 20° mummy bag with my 20° hammock quilts and the Dutch winter sock for sleeping, and I'm toasty in my skivvies... Until I have to pee like Seabiscuit at three in the morning.

I just figured an alpaca wool beanie would be amazing for how soft and warm the yarn is and was wondering if anyone was making something for the hiking community to fill the void.

I love the fingerless glove recommendation, a guy I just started going backpacking with recently showed it to me, which is absolutely perfect for being able to set up camp, way better than the mechanics gloves I've been using.