Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

TinTower posted:

The most important question is actually how Jemma Powell introduces herself when she's on holiday in France.

This is beautiful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Jemma did play Barbara in the second run of the first Doctor EAs.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Burkion posted:

Like, two have.

Three if you can get past Robot's awful special effects

Six seven and twelve

Which okay isn't that bad but the ones that were bad were BAD.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Bicyclops posted:

That seems to be the prevailing perspective of the thread, that the closest they get to a joke about it should be something like "Oh, that's different... my eyebrows are normal!"

*looks in mirror*
"Oh my God. ... ... ... I'm STILL not ginger!"

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
A thought occurs: this new First Doctor Adventures range crossing over with Diary of River Song. 6, 7, and 8 have already done it, so why not?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Box of Bunnies posted:

A thought occurs: this new First Doctor Adventures range crossing over with Diary of River Song. 6, 7, and 8 have already done it, so why not?

I would not be surprised to see another Diary of River Song boxset with some appearances from the 1-5 doctors.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

It is EXTREMELY important that any River Song/1st Doctor crossover involves him yelling at her and chasing her away while waving his stick. :3:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I would actually like for River Song to go away forever thanks

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Jerusalem posted:

It is EXTREMELY important that any River Song/1st Doctor crossover involves him yelling at her and chasing her away while waving his stick. :3:

"Hm? What's that? Married? No, no, no I don't think so madme. Go! Away with you!" *picks up rock to smash her head in*

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

One thing that really came through for me in the rewatch was how much Hartnell loved playing that role. If some modern magic resurrected him, he'd be right there in the studio, yelling at directors about the changes in where the switches were on the new set. :unsmith:

It really, really sucks how much of the Troughton era is missing. I liked The Moonbase a lot more this time than I did the first time, and Tomb of the Cybermen a little less, although that little moment between the Doctor and Victoria is actually better than I remember it being. It's not even advice, really, just an explanation of how loss and age works to someone who hasn't experienced it, without being condescending. It helps that its couched within Victoria staying up too late to take the Doctor's shift, and that he ends it by being self-deprecating. I remember a lot of that kind of thing in classic Who, and it's one of the things I feel like doesn't shine through in the new show enough.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Bicyclops posted:

I liked The Moonbase a lot
Do we now have to rename it The Eggbase, or should we all just pretend that Kill The Moon never happened?

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

corn in the bible posted:

I would actually like for River Song to go away forever thanks

I kinda felt that way after series six but then The Husbands of River Song and Diary of River Song happened and I'm pretty cool with her again

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Ihe murderous hatred fans in this very thread have for River Song is bizarre and a little horrifying. Oh no, a middle-aged woman appears a little too often during a season that didn't quite stick the landing, let's be extra clear how much we want to smash her head in.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

DoctorWhat posted:

we want to smash her head in.

That's the doctor and cave men/people who slow him down

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

DoctorWhat posted:

Ihe murderous hatred fans in this very thread have for River Song is bizarre and a little horrifying. Oh no, a middle-aged woman appears a little too often during a season that didn't quite stick the landing, let's be extra clear how much we want to smash her head in.

We also hate Adric because he's a woman.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Kids get the same treatment. It's exhausting.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

DoctorWhat posted:

Lighten up.

She's a far more interesting character when she's not bound by Moffat's turgid writing for her, (I think her Diary of River Song audios are great, and she works well in Doom Coalition) and Alex Kingston does the best she can with the material.
You don't have to jump to the conclusion that every criticism is soley because she's a woman. Same for Clara, Ashildr, Tasha Lem or any others I've forgotten about.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Someone told me that he was really angry that Whittaker has been announced as the 13th Doctor.

She is the 14th, he said. The War Doctor counts, he said.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Was he equally as angry when Capaldi was announced as the 12th? Since we knew about the War Doctor by that point.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I think River Song is very good.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
He's wrong and a stupid idiot. She's the 15th, because the clone of Tennant also counts.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

2house2fly posted:

He's wrong and a stupid idiot. She's the 15th, because the clone of Tennant also counts.

23rd - Can't forget those Morbius Doctors.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Pesky Splinter posted:

23rd - Can't forget those Morbius Doctors.

http://doctorwhogeneral.wikia.com/wiki/The_Morbius_Doctors

The hell did I just read?

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

The 4chan Who wikia. Which I guess is a thing. Huh.

But yeah, it's not inaccurate as such - there's a sequence in Brain of Morbius which implies that the Hartnell Doctor wasn't the First Doctor. It's one of those things like the "Half human on my mother's side" that's largely ignored (yeah yeah mentioned in Heaven Sent to gently caress with people but otherwise ignored).

Cruel Rose
May 27, 2010

saaave gotham~
come on~
DO IT, BATMAN
FUCKING BATMAN I FUCKING HATE YOU
The First Doctor sometimes goes missing for multiple episodes in Big Finish stories and I really like that even in audios, they're consistent about him taking holidays.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
DoctorWhat, River's character archetype would be as hated as it is if she was a man and done as poorly as she can be done.

Like, River is normally fine. She is.

But she's had some dog poo poo episodes that does not endear her to anyone. And trying to say that people hate Adric because he's a kid, when Nyssa was ALSO there and is, to my knowledge, a pretty well liked companion, is just horrifically missing the point.

Calm down buddy. And yeah, the whole First Doctor Caves Her Head In With A Rock was both a joke based on things he did, and an ACTUAL WAY HE TRIED TO DEAL WITH THINGS THAT ANNOYED HIM.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

DoctorWhat posted:

Kids get the same treatment. It's exhausting.

Eh, in that case it's because children are often poorly written almost from start to finish. The kids in the Cyberman two parter, for example, are just two caricatures for the little bit that they get to talk (when she literally walks into a room full of military people and says "Hello? I'm bored?" it's like, okay, we already knew what you were going for, no need to hit us over the head with a hammer here).

Although to be honest, I feel kind of the same way about Turlough that I do about Adric, I'm just not in the thunderous majority when it comes to Turlough. Both characters always seem to cause unnecessarily difficulties for artificial reasons as ways of painting them as "flawed."

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I think the idea of Turlough (shady alien with a mysterious past is inserted into the TARDIS as an anti-Doctor sleeper agent, comes around and turns out to be a noble from his home planet whose side lost a revolution) is a lot better than it was executed. As with so many things at the time (Nyssa's tragic story with her father). A plot like that could be far better realized now, and his motivations and character could be kept consistent and develop.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bicyclops posted:

Eh, in that case it's because children are often poorly written almost from start to finish. The kids in the Cyberman two parter, for example, are just two caricatures for the little bit that they get to talk (when she literally walks into a room full of military people and says "Hello? I'm bored?" it's like, okay, we already knew what you were going for, no need to hit us over the head with a hammer here).

It wasn't a two-parter, it was just one episode. Probably to its detriment in retrospect.

That notwithstanding, I recall comments to the effect of, "Oh, it's just how real teenagers would realistically react," and my reaction to that was, "Well, thank God writers don't write teenagers realistically in TV shows more often, then."

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

It wasn't a two-parter, it was just one episode. Probably to its detriment in retrospect.

That notwithstanding, I recall comments to the effect of, "Oh, it's just how real teenagers would realistically react," and my reaction to that was, "Well, thank God writers don't write teenagers realistically in TV shows more often, then."

Right, you'd think I'd remember that, having just watched it.

I might have been one of the "That's just how teenagers are" people when it first aired, but I don't know if I just wasn't paying attention or what. It's not that she's annoying or willful, it's that she has no motivation to do half of the things that she does besides to create difficulties.

Like, it takes me a long time to like Mickey as a character, because his primary motivation is the same kind of fragile, angry jealousy we've seen a thousand times, but it does feel realistic. Adric and Turlough don't seem to learn or grow, and a lot of the time the trouble they get into feels like it happens because the writers need them to get into a bit of trouble, and not because it feels organic.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Stupid moron question: if I want to buy a digital version of Enemy of the World (now that it's complete!), is there any place currently to do that besides i-tunes?

e: goddamn, the advertising for this is terrible. I can't even tell if the DVDs they're selling on Amazon are the restored version with the missing episodes or the older reproductions. No Google search will tell me where I can purchase them, and I only remember that they're even on i-tunes from this thread, back when they were released.

Bicyclops fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Sep 17, 2017

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Google Play?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I think this is just for the UK - when I click through, my only options seem to be to add it to my wishlist.

gently caress it, does anybody know if both this and Web of Fear are on Britbox? It's worth getting the month subscription if they're going to make it so hard to buy.

e: they're not on Britbox, lol. It's only DVDs and through i-tunes, looks like. drat, BBC, you do make me work to watch to episodes that aired 50 years ago!

Bicyclops fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Sep 17, 2017

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Burkion posted:

DoctorWhat, River's character archetype would be as hated as it is if she was a man and done as poorly as she can be done.

Like, River is normally fine. She is.

But she's had some dog poo poo episodes that does not endear her to anyone. And trying to say that people hate Adric because he's a kid, when Nyssa was ALSO there and is, to my knowledge, a pretty well liked companion, is just horrifically missing the point.

Calm down buddy. And yeah, the whole First Doctor Caves Her Head In With A Rock was both a joke based on things he did, and an ACTUAL WAY HE TRIED TO DEAL WITH THINGS THAT ANNOYED HIM.

I don't disagree that a male character like River would draw a significant amount of criticism from fans, but it would not be as strongly worded and passionate. I notice this a lot in media, and there's always, always plausible deniability and an intangibility to it that makes it hard to argue. That doesn't mean it isn't there. Poorly written female characters tend to draw a more visceral hatred than poorly written male characters.
If the Rey character in Star Wars Presented by JJ Abrams was a male, HE would still draw some criticism, but again, the intensity would be down a few notches at least.
This poo poo is hard to see if you're not looking for it, and haven't trained your brain for it. Because there are always plausible alternative reasons.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Except, I don't think anything HERE has been all that extreme, beyond one joke that was a reference to the First Doctor's early character.

DoctorWhat is making it sound like ALL complaints against River are of the same ilk, which I disagree with because I enjoy River when she's done right.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Pesky Splinter posted:

Lighten up.

She's a far more interesting character when she's not bound by Moffat's turgid writing for her, (I think her Diary of River Song audios are great, and she works well in Doom Coalition) and Alex Kingston does the best she can with the material.
You don't have to jump to the conclusion that every criticism is soley because she's a woman. Same for Clara, Ashildr, Tasha Lem or any others I've forgotten about.

If a gay dude showed up and was Doctor's husband and he kept saying SPOILERS and turned out to be Amy Pond's secret son who was also her best friend I'd be annoyed by him

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Centuries after the events in the Library, science develops a way to restore the remaining people trapped in the Library computer. River immediately goes running off to find the Doctor, and gets hit by a bus. She regenerates, but since she was nearly out of regeneration energy she doesn't regenerate into an adult, but as a tiny baby. Kinda gets distracted by having a normal childhood. Eventually grows up to be Time Agent Jack Harkness.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Facebook Aunt posted:

Centuries after the events in the Library, science develops a way to restore the remaining people trapped in the Library computer. River immediately goes running off to find the Doctor, and gets hit by a bus. She regenerates, but since she was nearly out of regeneration energy she doesn't regenerate into an adult, but as a tiny baby. Kinda gets distracted by having a normal childhood. Eventually grows up to be Time Agent Jack Harkness.

River winds up on Gallifrey and regenerates into Young William Hartnell

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

e: they're not on Britbox, lol.

It certainly looked like they were when I looked just now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

http://notthebigfinishforum.freeforums.net/thread/3561/doctor-adventures-space-time-cast

Thread over at the Not Big Finish forums about the new recast 1st Doctor stuff.

First few pages are a lot of old hands melting down about the :supaburn: RECASTING but mostly positive. A couple of the writers chime in as well. What's cool about these forums is you get actual people who work on the audios speaking in an unofficial capacity.

It's not confirmed, but it appears William Russell may be hanging it up due to age, and then it was pointed out not unreasonably that perhaps Carole Ann Ford didn't want to continue on without him and with an all new cast. She's apparently only done like 5 audios since 2013, and she's...77!

Did not think she was that old! Susan--almost 80! :aaaaa:

• Locked thread