Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Sorry if this has been posted, but I thought it was really insightful. Thanks David!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R81Lq2baH6s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I am not probably saying anything new, but Twin Peaks to me was always about this otherworldly town in a dream, slowly being overtaken by Laura Palmer's reality and horrors.

So to me, those final two episodes were probably some of the most powerful television I have ever saw. Laura meeting Dale in the woods had me bawling my eyes out. It just felt like such an acknowledgement of how I feel about the show in just an emotional sense.

Season 3, in some weird way felt like a show trying to become Twin Peaks again. Like that its a dream trying to become the dream it was once more, if that makes sense? Its a similar dreamlike world, with characters we know but sometimes they have been replaced with doppelgangers or other replacements. When Audrey danced in the original series it was dreamy, but it just felt like a larger part of this dream world. In this show her dance leads her to waking up, because we are not in that dream anymore. At the same time, the show is built around waiting for Cooper to wake up, defeat bad cooper, and in some ways reset the world back to "Twin Peaks" which in a way he does.

But that isn't the actual reality of Twin Peaks. Reality is the horror of what happened to Laura Palmer, and its not just a "supernatural" horror, its a real human horror. Cooper can't take her away from that reality into his dreamworld. And in the end even Laura ends up in her own dream having to wake up and face that reality again.

I don't know if anything I wrote here makes a lick of sense, like a lot of this is just how I feel about the show and the ending on an emotional level and me trying to process it. This show was just simply amazing.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.
I still don't know much about the facts of what happened in the last episode but after rewatching episode 2 I'm pretty sure the Laura in the black dress that whispers in Cooper's ear is from a point chronologically after the "odessaverse" scenes. On rewatch, she is furious with Cooper for what he's done and when she whispers in his ear she's probably explaining just how badly he's hosed up. Then he forgets and does it all over again.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Why cookie Rocket posted:

I still don't know much about the facts of what happened in the last episode but after rewatching episode 2 I'm pretty sure the Laura in the black dress that whispers in Cooper's ear is from a point chronologically after the "odessaverse" scenes. On rewatch, she is furious with Cooper for what he's done and when she whispers in his ear she's probably explaining just how badly he's hosed up. Then he forgets and does it all over again.

Yeah, wanna agree with this.

I always wondered why she sounded weirdly... aggressive or accusatory or *something* when she tells Cooper "I am dead... but I live". I always thought the "But I live" sounded really bizarre and especially garbled, and I had just chalked it up to backwards-talking. But she clearly is trying to put some sort of exclamation of emphasis on "But I live" because it does sound twisted with... some kind of emotion.

I still don't know that any of this necessarily means that Cooper "hosed up" or made a tremendous error by doing what he did... In fact, I'm not even sure that Cooper had free will regarding what he did, given that the plot of season 3 is essentially a mobius loop of time/logic twisting back in on itself. Arguably whatever that Laura in the Black Dress whispered in Dale's ear before getting sucked up into the sky by (Judy?) presumably could be the very thing that causes Dale to go back and save her.

But then, as MIKE repeatedly reminds both before (and after) that particular moment, hilariously - "Is it future, or is it past?" It's a fairly impossible question to answer since we'll never quite know what the Red Room's relationship to time truly is. It seems to exist outside of linear time, but yet it also seems to have a corresponding relationship to linear time; did Dale really sit in there for 25 year and did it FEEL like 25 years, or 25 minutes or hours or days? Tough to say.

I forget who said it, but there was a great quote I read early this summer. "Twin Peaks is Lynch creating an entire show about the Bedroom Scene at the end of 2001." I don't think that's entirely true but I do think it's somewhat true. I think the concept of The Red Room was initially deeply inspired by the concept of The Bedroom in 2001, and that influence is absolutely evident in the very first Red Room scene - which looks so different than the way the Red Room winds up looking in later redresses of the set! It's so funny.

kaworu fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Sep 18, 2017

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I don't think he hosed up at all. It's hard to put tone on people pronouncing words backwards so it sounds "normal" when it is reversed.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Jimbot posted:

I don't think he hosed up at all. It's hard to put tone on people pronouncing words backwards so it sounds "normal" when it is reversed.

No seriously rewatch, it's not her voice it's her face. On first watch I thought her face was just old but nope she peeeeeassssssed.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

handsome only face posted:

blue fuckin velvet had a happy ending

That's how David would want it. Personally to me it is a happy ending. Relatively speaking, it's a bittersweet happy ending, but the optimism and hope he gives us to me is real, though surreal, even though it's not the only note accounted for. Since you said none of his films have happy endings (including Wild At Heart), we may look at these aspects of his films differently. The world is a scary horrible place in some ways, but it's not the only thing, and I think how Jeffrey looks at it isn't a simple thing, but to me it's a positive ending. Especially relative to how dark the film is, and how unrelentingly dark some of his other endings are. If anybody in here hasn't seen Blue Velvet yet, now's a great time by the way!

I get a very different feeling from the ending of this Twin Peaks series. Very saddening and impactful, to me it's a very fitting and great ending. Lynch runs the gamut across his work, even among the surreal noir-ish mystery ones, the feeling here is pretty messed up. Not quite Mulholland Dr ending messed up, but pretty close in a different way. It's just mysterious and awe inspiring enough that somehow it being sad and extra surreal (or soberingly real in a way that we wouldn't want it to be depending on how you look at it) doesn't change my overall view of the vibe of Twin Peaks. Nightmarish, but there's still a morsel of some kind of hope or at least less definitively hopeless in it's mysteriousness. My words kinda failed me on this one, but it ends on a haunting note.

Anyways, this series is incredible, had a lot of fun watching it, and I'm so glad they got to do this. David Lynch knocking it out of the park like only he can, and it's so drat cool that we get this. Thumbs up from me, the series really ran the gamut, very funny, intriguing, surreal, captivating, in all the ways he's always been.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Sep 18, 2017

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
Ten episodes in I found out when listening to the Diane podcasts that I had skipped episode 6 and had not noticed it. Characters talking about unseen events and appearing without introduction just seem so normal.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I finally got around to watching The Straight Story and it couldn't be more tonally different while still hitting on many of the same themes of aging and frailty in Peaks season 3. It approaches them from an unusually warm angle, though! Farnsworth's performance is amazing and the ending hit me pretty hard. Also the lady who hits the deer would fit in perfectly in season 3.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Straight Story is pretty dope. It's unfortunate that there's a contingent of Lynch fans that try to ignore that the movie exists.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Raxivace posted:

It's unfortunate that there's a contingent of Lynch fans that try to ignore that the movie exists.

What the gently caress? I’ve never ever heard anyone ignore it.
Great film.
The two old dudes talking about the friendly fire in Vietnam is so good.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
The only thing worse than Lynch's detractors are his fans.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Quantum of Phallus posted:

What the gently caress? I’ve never ever heard anyone ignore it.

I'd been told by fans to skip both The Straight Story and Fire Walk With Me (I didn't listen to that), so yeah it does happen. I'm glad I checked it out, it's a great look at the physical pain of aging and makes a nice companion piece vs. TP season 3's focus on more of the mental pain of old age.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

I'd been told by fans to skip both The Straight Story and Fire Walk With Me (I didn't listen to that), so yeah it does happen. I'm glad I checked it out, it's a great look at the physical pain of aging and makes a nice companion piece vs. TP season 3's focus on more of the mental pain of old age.

There are a number of Lynch's films that some consider to be "not in his style". I've heard people describe the Elephant Man, Dune, Wild at Heart, the Straight Story and even Blue Velvet that way.

edit: FWWM, though, this thread is probably the first place I've found where people love that flick. Everybody else seems to think that
a) it's in Lynch's style and
b) that it is a hateful abomination

And More fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Sep 18, 2017

zygnal
Dec 1, 2006
Never
Fun Shoe

Jimbot posted:

Why do people think Cooper is the one with the plan (pr was just 'winging it' because he's Agent Cooper
and overconfident) and messed it up badly?

The very first scene of S3 with the giant laying out details had to have happened after Cooper
escaped from the black lodge, so it reads more like it was the Giant's plan.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

zygnal posted:

Why do people think Cooper is the one with the plan (pr was just 'winging it' because he's Agent Cooper
and overconfident) and messed it up badly?

Because ep 17 started with Gordon explaining to Albert that Cooper had a plan

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

acksplode posted:

Because ep 17 started with Gordon explaining to Albert that Cooper had a plan

No but like how do you really know?

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

No but like how do you really know?

quote:

Major Briggs, Cooper, and I put together a plan that could lead us to Judy.
And then something happened to Major Briggs, and something happened to Cooper.
Phillip Jeffries, who doesn't really exist anymore, at least not in the normal sense, told me a long time ago he was onto this entity, and he disappeared.
Now, the last thing Cooper told me was "If I disappear like the others, do everything you can to find me.
I'm trying to kill two birds with one stone.

I think Major Briggs was the one with the plan, and that's why everyone, including Cooper, is following his prophecies.

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

doesn't mean it's a good plan

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

And More posted:

I think Major Briggs was the one with the plan, and that's why everyone, including Cooper, is following his prophecies.

I was just kidding but thanks for grabbing the quote it was fun to read. I wonder if Jeffries was the first agent to identify Judy, and that led Cole and Cooper to cook up the plan with Briggs. Furthermore, I wonder if that plan was why Briggs was stationed in TP in the first place.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

a few DRUNK BONERS posted:

doesn't mean it's a good plan

Yeah I think one of the big questions at the end is "are things going according to the plan?" And I think that's a separate question from "is the plan good for Laura and/or Cooper?"

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

I was just kidding but thanks for grabbing the quote it was fun to read. I wonder if Jeffries was the first agent to identify Judy, and that led Cole and Cooper to cook up the plan with Briggs. Furthermore, I wonder if that plan was why Briggs was stationed in TP in the first place.

Major Briggs stationed in TP even before Cooper shows up there, and Cooper met him there, iirc. It cant have happened before that

To be sincere, I still cant figure when this conversation is supposed to have happened. If it was before Cooper getting stuck at the black lodge, Bad Cooper would know all about it (and it doenst seems to be the case). And Cooper didnt seem to have any plan other than rescuing Annie when he enters the black lodge at the end of S2

If it was after, Bad Cooper would be the one who made the plan with Cole and the Major

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Elias_Maluco posted:

Major Briggs stationed in TP even before Cooper shows up there, and Cooper met him there, iirc. It cant have happened before that

To be sincere, I still cant figure when this conversation is supposed to have happened. If it was before Cooper getting stuck at the black lodge, Bad Cooper would know all about it (and it doenst seems to be the case). And Cooper didnt seem to have any plan other than rescuing Annie when he enters the black lodge at the end of S2

If it was after, Bad Cooper would be the one who made the plan with Cole and the Major

Unless it was Briggs and Cooper talking in the lodge and Briggs could leave but Cooper couldn't.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

bobkatt013 posted:

The life of Harry Dean Stanton is always intense.

I love Repo Man.

I feel the need to pop in with my two favourite HDS anecdotes:

(1) he used to room with Jack Nicholson in the 60s and pissed Jack off because HDS would have loud orgies with hollywood starlets (see Marc Eliot's biography of Nicholson for this story)

(2) HDS confessed that he was "more than just friendly" with Debby Harry (see "Partly Fiction").

Lynch fans should really just watch "Partly Fiction" because the best part of the biography by far is when Lynch shows up and takes over as interviewer. The dynamic he and Stanton shared was really great.

This season of Twin Peaks was incredible but watching it was/is bittersweet because of all the really great cool people that were lost during its creation and now also shortly after.

InfiniteZero fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Sep 18, 2017

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Man Harry Dean Stanton never popped up on my cultural radar but the more I hear the more I think I want to remedy that ASAP.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

I wonder if Tammy was named after Tammy Tarleton. They don't really have much in common, other than basically being secretaries, but the name also means twin in Hebrew, apparently.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

My Lovely Horse posted:

Man Harry Dean Stanton never popped up on my cultural radar but the more I hear the more I think I want to remedy that ASAP.
Not even Alien? Or (I'm hoping) you just didn't know the actor's name from that.

Definitely watch Repo Man (one of the funniest movies I've ever seen) and Paris,Texas. Those two along with Alien are my favorite HDS films.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Don't forget Wild at Heart and Inland Empire. And Escape from New York. And Last Temptation of Christ. And Red Dawn. And Christine. And Cool Hand Luke. And... holy hell he's in a bunch of good poo poo. And often has some of the most memorable moments.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
I need some hobbies

https://imgur.com/a/4jsh4

I'm sure these aren't original but I was waiting for my drat fine coffee to kick in and well here we are.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Flyinglemur posted:

I need some hobbies

https://imgur.com/a/4jsh4

I'm sure these aren't original but I was waiting for my drat fine coffee to kick in and well here we are.

Those made laugh. The way she says "haaawk" is the exact sound your penis makes when an erection is deflating. If your penis could make sounds.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

This is right here some prime Harry Dean Stanton stuff.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

bowie is officially not a tea kettle

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Jimbot posted:

This is right here some prime Harry Dean Stanton stuff.

wheres forest whitaker

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

David Lynch posted:

It’s like when you know what it can be and then you have to suffer that [dilution], and people see it on their computer or even, my god, on their phone—it’s like a nightmare.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
I want to personally report to David Lynch about the guy in this thread who not only watched on his phone, but watched on his phone with the sound off.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

I think someone must have made him feel bad about the tea kettle but I think it’s so beautiful. :11tea:

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Surprised Lynch didn't call neo-Jeffries a percolator, because of the existing Pete reference and that it looks like a coffee percolator.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coffee_percolator

Teek fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Sep 20, 2017

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Cromulent posted:

I want to personally report to David Lynch about the guy in this thread who not only watched on his phone, but watched on his phone with the sound off.

it was on my laptop though

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Teek posted:

Surprised Lynch didn't call neo-Jeffries a percolator, because of the existing Pete reference and that it looks like like a coffee percolator.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coffee_percolator

It's because he's obviously a tea kettle. I mean, he's British from Louisiana, after all.

By the way, I'm really enjoying rewatching the season two episodes per day. Scenes that seemed really disjointed flow way more neatly into one another when you don't spend weeks between them. Can't wait to watch episodes 12 and 13 close together to see whether this improves them.

One weird thing that I'd kind of forgotten about is that the FBI and Twin Peaks timelines don't seem to line up at all. The FBI interrogates Shaggy on September 20th. In the same episode, the sheriff notes that it's the 29th. The FBI doesn't seem to spend nearly enough time between Hastings being interrogated and Gordon getting a call from Truman.

On top of that, there is the entire Bobby/Becky/Shelly plot line that appears to be out of sequence. Even Becky's boyfriend seems to kill himself chronologically after the showdown with the doppelganger because Bobby hasn't found out about Becky by then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

And More posted:

It's because he's obviously a tea kettle. I mean, he's British from Louisiana, after all.

By the way, I'm really enjoying rewatching the season two episodes per day. Scenes that seemed really disjointed flow way more neatly into one another when you don't spend weeks between them. Can't wait to watch episodes 12 and 13 close together to see whether this improves them.

One weird thing that I'd kind of forgotten about is that the FBI and Twin Peaks timelines don't seem to line up at all. The FBI interrogates Shaggy on September 20th. In the same episode, the sheriff notes that it's the 29th. The FBI doesn't seem to spend nearly enough time between Hastings being interrogated and Gordon getting a call from Truman.

On top of that, there is the entire Bobby/Becky/Shelly plot line that appears to be out of sequence. Even Becky's boyfriend seems to kill himself chronologically after the showdown with the doppelganger because Bobby hasn't found out about Becky by then.

I started noticing that on re-watching. I'd need to write it down, I think, but it doesn't seem like things are happening chronologically even in the earlier parts of the season. Part 9 in particular made me wonder how everything aligns, between focusing on Bill Hastings writing the current date on the Major's identified photo and the dates being referred to on the slips of paper in the Major's singing time capsule.