Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

GL was definitely the better show that got the most unfair deal due to the Ryan Reynolds movie being a massive flop.

Catching up on the new Spider-man cartoon: three episodes came out yesterday, making a symbiote arc (i think, i've only seen the first one so far) and man, that's a strong debut for Dark Spider-man. I really dig the Sandman stuff, too. The show is kinda loud about how much it uses the science angle, but I like how family is a bit more subtle, yet just as important. However, most emotional and in-depth thoughts kinda fly away with how loving cool Symbiote Spider-man's debut was, that was some SSJ poo poo right there.

Wow, kinda surprised they did the symbiote so soon. Don't get me wrong, I know it's an important Spider-story, but it seems like most of the cartoons till now have waited a while before introducing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

GLTAS kinda lost me on how Razer and Aya were the only characters the show wanted to focus on by the back half.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

TwoPair posted:

Wow, kinda surprised they did the symbiote so soon. Don't get me wrong, I know it's an important Spider-story, but it seems like most of the cartoons till now have waited a while before introducing it.
It was the finale to Spectacular's first season with Eddie being a big figure from the jump. TAS did it in the eighth episode.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Timeless Appeal posted:

It was the finale to Spectacular's first season with Eddie being a big figure from the jump. TAS did it in the eighth episode.

Really? Wow, my memories of the 90s TAS are worse than I thought. I redact my previous comment then.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

TFRazorsaw posted:

I thought we were talking about the show's relationship with people who compare it to the old one, not the old show itself. I don't get the sense TTG HAS an opinion it wants to state about its source material other regarding it as a as a mine for absurdity and half-hearted regurgitation of some of their plots.

And then they did this:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
You post that like it's a bad thing.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

In the shows last two episodes, they had all the Green Lanterns mobilize to fight a huge threat.
And Hal sees Guy Gardner and he asks him who is guarding Earth if he's here.
And Guy tells him that since he was so super cool he was allowed recruit another human into the GL Corp. John Stewart.
To which Hal replies "The Fake news guy?"

I loved that.
Had the series gone on I fully believe we would have gotten Kyle Ryner, the Sinestro Corps and eventually, the Blackest Night. It would have been so great.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

TFRazorsaw posted:

GLTAS kinda lost me on how Razer and Aya were the only characters the show wanted to focus on by the back half.
Yeah but when it was good it was good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lu547H94bZ0

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

The Question IRL posted:

I loved that.
Had the series gone on I fully believe we would have gotten Kyle Ryner, the Sinestro Corps and eventually, the Blackest Night. It would have been so great.

Ron Perlman voiced loving Sinestro as well, that WOULD have been so great.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

TwoPair posted:

Really? Wow, my memories of the 90s TAS are worse than I thought. I redact my previous comment then.
To be clear, I'm with you. I felt like it took forever to get to Venom. But I guess his tantalizing appearance in the credits that always made me ready for him to appear just made that time feel longer than it was.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

They might have broadcasted it out of order, wasn't it one of those shows that went into syndication almost instantly?

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
It aired eighth but with about a five month gap between that and the first episode. So, yeah, I get how in kid time that felt like forever.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Lightning Lord posted:

They might have broadcasted it out of order, wasn't it one of those shows that went into syndication almost instantly?

Reminds of Darkwing Duck which had two separate set of episodes commissioned at the same time. One set for the Disney Channel and one set for ABC.

Disney later acquired all the episodes, but it makes it confusing as hell to watch in order since you often get episodes featuring villains before their actual origin episode.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Mister Kingdom posted:

And then they did this:

Hey, they're technically right as the first Teen Titans cartoon was made back in 1967 by Filmation. It's not Go's fault that there are people still obsessing about how insulting it is to some faux 2004 anime show that's now being shown again on CN because GO's apparently still so goddamn profitable. Hell, I hope they continue this trend and just roll back with some Courage or OG Powerpuff because gently caress it.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Sep 18, 2017

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Crabtree posted:

Hey, they're technically right as the first Teen Titans cartoon was made back in 1967 by Filmation. It's not Go's fault that there are people still obsessing about how insulting it is to some faux 2004 anime show that's now being shown again on CN because GO's apparently still so goddamn profitable. Hell, I hope they continue this trend and just roll back with some Courage or OG Powerpuff because gently caress it.

lol. I scrolled down to the comments and what do you know, my guess that people were saying that trash was better than TTGO was right. I don't really watch TTGO anymore, but I hope it is one of those shows that is around forever.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Crabtree posted:

Has there ever been an issue of Teen Titans where they acknowledge how ridiculous it is that Speedy is still called Speedy when he's on a team with Kid Flash?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Skwirl posted:

Has there ever been an issue of Teen Titans where they acknowledge how ridiculous it is that Speedy is still called Speedy when he's on a team with Kid Flash?

The Flash calls that out on the first episode of Young Justice IIRC

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Samuringa posted:

The Flash calls that out on the first episode of Young Justice IIRC

So it took more than 40 years.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I never understood Speedy as a sidekick name in general. Like, is he supposed to just be a kid who's really quick on his feet or does he shoot arrows quick enough to impress Green Arrow or what? Either way it doesn't make much sense. At least Robin, as much as he doesn't really stick with a bat theme, dresses like a Robin.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Sep 18, 2017

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

He's called Speedy because he's a quick shot.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Actually Roy Harper is a big fan of Love and Rockets and he took the name Speedy in honor of Speedy Ortiz, RIP.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Crabtree posted:

I had no idea this was a thing, I thought the first attempt at a Teen Titans series was some weird '80's thing ('80's? I think that's what I heard).

Edit: Man, what is up with Kid Flash's hair?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I had to check, because there was no way that Spider-Man TAS did the Symbiote by episode 8. No way.

Motherfucker. :stare:

Checking the seven episodes before, and man. This show was even more of a trip than I remember. We start off with the Lizard, and then immediately follow it up with a two-parter about the Spider Slayers, then Doc Ock, Mysterio, Scorpion, and Kraven.

Venom is both introduced and seemingly taken care of in episode 10, and then doesn't return until episode 37, an episode that featured motherfuckin' Dormammu? :stare: I don't remember Dormammu being in this show!

Maybe I should re-watch this nonsense sometime.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Dexie posted:

I had to check, because there was no way that Spider-Man TAS did the Symbiote by episode 8. No way.

Checking the seven episodes before, and man. This show was even more of a trip than I remember. We start off with the Lizard, and then immediately follow it up with a two-parter about the Spider Slayers, then Doc Ock, Mysterio, Scorpion, and Kraven.

Venom is both introduced and seemingly taken care of in episode 10, and then doesn't return until episode 37, an episode that featured motherfuckin' Dormammu? :stare: I don't remember Dormammu being in this show!

Just don't expect it to be good. The show kind of feels like a fever dream rendition of what a proper 90s Spider-Man cartoon would have been. All of the pieces are there and then some, but then everything is weird.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Crabtree posted:

Hey, they're technically right as the first Teen Titans cartoon was made back in 1967 by Filmation. It's not Go's fault that there are people still obsessing about how insulting it is to some faux 2004 anime show that's now being shown again on CN because GO's apparently still so goddamn profitable.

This is weird, it really makes the Teen Titans a generic superhero team. Like, they never had a mountain headquarters or anything like that.

Dexie posted:

It was 1995, and Venom was one of the coolest characters in comics. Of course they weren't going to wait that long. Weird that he disappeared that long though... And yeah it eventually becomes a home for disparate Marvel characters of all kinds. Like that weirdo Secret Wars storyline that the series ended with.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Dexie posted:

I'LL CHASE YOU TO THE ENDS OF THE EARTH.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Skwirl posted:

People now rightly talk about how loving funny the X-Men cartoon was, but a similar case can be made for Spider-Man.

I NEED MORE PLASMA

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Cartoon Morbius was ironically much more unsettling than comic Morbius.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I thought he was called Speedy because of his addictions

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Unmature posted:

Nope. Anyways he was a heroin addict and that does not make you speedy. If he was into smoking meth then it would fit.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Unmature posted:

Amphetamines weren't a thing in the 60s.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Unmature posted:

No, he had a golden arm, if his nickname came from his addiction, he would be called Jazzy.

Skwirl posted:

Not really true, American soldiers and the Nazis used speed, for example. But you're right that it didn't become a societal problem in America until much later.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Sep 18, 2017

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Skwirl posted:

I think JFK would disagree, for one.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Skwirl posted:

Any any beat poet or Mods. It was one of the drugs included in the controlled substance act in 1972

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Sep 18, 2017

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Dexie posted:

That show was paced like a cocaine rush, but not in a good way. It's a shame, because the voice actors are mostly really darn good in the roles, but it's all so crappily animated, overly-kiddified (no guns, no punches, no deaths, no blood, no nothing!) and edited like a loving nightmare.

And before someone calls me out on complaining that a kids' cartoon is overly kiddified, if you're adapting early Spider-man stories and feel the need to tone down the violence, you've hosed up somewhere.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I think JFK would disagree, for one.

or any baseball player during the 60s and 70s

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Lightning Lord posted:

It was 1995, and Venom was one of the coolest characters in comics. Of course they weren't going to wait that long. Weird that he disappeared that long though... And yeah it eventually becomes a home for disparate Marvel characters of all kinds. Like that weirdo Secret Wars storyline that the series ended with.

I have one of those talking Venom action figures where he says "I want to eat your brain". I think they banned that one.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lightning Lord posted:

No, he had a golden arm,
No, he was Arsenal when he had a golden arm

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Skwirl posted:

GET BACK HERE SHOCKAHHHHHH!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Mister Kingdom posted:

And then they did this:

What episode was this from? Google Image Search only says it's Ben10. :v: