Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Powaqoatse posted:

well that was a disappointing fishmech vs stymie showdown

two grizzled gunslingers face each other under the noonday sun. the clock tolls 12. deadeyed, they squint and ready their hands above their pistols. one farts, they both shrug and walk away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

duTrieux. posted:

i like microsoft office

the xml-based file formats are great

never look at track changes in docx xml

shits so convoluted you need a 3k loc library just to accept all (there's no API for it)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

cis autodrag posted:

never look at track changes in docx xml

shits so convoluted you need a 3k loc library just to accept all (there's no API for it)

not surprising given how badly it breaks between office versions. poo poo unravels pretty badly if you're passing a doc back and forth

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
i am amazed they ever got 'track changes' to work in office itself, with infinite manpower applied to the problem

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

microsoft: infinite monkeys at infinite typewriters, with stack ranking

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

GenJoe posted:

real talk gently caress everything about microsoft office how is that poo poo twenty-eight percent of their revenue?

my understanding for many years has been that, word and excel and powerpoint aside, the real money-makers of Office (and arguably the crown jewels of Microsoft) were Outlook and Exchange

especially because Exchange sales mean Windows Server sales (and CAL sales galore)

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

my understanding for many years has been that, word and excel and powerpoint aside, the real money-makers of Office (and arguably the crown jewels of Microsoft) were Outlook and Exchange

especially because Exchange sales mean Windows Server sales (and CAL sales galore)

outlook and exchange sell themselves

afaik outlook is the only "office" product that can still be bought on its own as an independent sku

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

outlook and exchange sell themselves

afaik outlook is the only "office" product that can still be bought on its own as an independent sku

https://products.office.com/en-us/buy/office

scroll waaaaay down and look for the little "looking for standalone office applications?"

they really don't want you to do it, but if you insist they'll take your money

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
how does my crosoft make money from the home use program? i bought office pro and visio pro for a cheap as free (only $18)

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

how does my crosoft make money from the home use program? i bought office pro and visio pro for a cheap as free (only $18)

you become familiar with using those tools, and then your workplace ends up buying it at full enterprise cost

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Jabor posted:

you become familiar with using those tools, and then your workplace ends up buying it at full enterprise cost

yup. same reason they essentially give away win 10 for home use.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
also people using outlook/office at home/college is one fewer vector for an eventual competitor to emerge from

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Jabor posted:

as if there is an alternative

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Shifty Pony posted:

yup. same reason they essentially give away win 10 for home use.

well i mean that's also because like a bunch of people are still causing like dell or hp to buy them an $80 oem license for their new laptop or whatever

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

FMguru posted:

also people using outlook/office at home/college is one fewer vector for an eventual competitor to emerge from

i hope i never meet someone who uses outlook at home irl that would be the biggest warning sign to avoid a person i could imagine

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Jabor posted:

HUP works the other way around; your employer needs to be part of the home use program for you to have access (unless they recently changed it)

it's a value-add for corporate licensing packages

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

LastInLine posted:

i hope i never meet someone who uses outlook at home irl that would be the biggest warning sign to avoid a person i could imagine

My ex's dad had this completely insane Outlook email system that relied on downloading and deleting everything via pop, then keeping the Outlook db files in a local network share or something. It was really slow and you could only access email from one computer at a time. But it was "way safer from hackers" that way.

His other interests included being "that guy" HOA board president, and randomly complaining about teenagers. Like we'd be driving and he would out of the blue go "I sure hope there aren't any teenagers driving this morning. They're awful at it." and we'd be like "ok.. noted? :confused:"

Also Fox News, obvs.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

LastInLine posted:

outlook isn't that hard to use how would that be a warning sign

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

My Linux Rig posted:

outlook isn't that hard to use how would that be a warning sign

tbf another warning for "never associate with this person" is bitcoins and you tick that box too so its p. obviously a v. good indicator of idiocy

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

LastInLine posted:

tbf another warning for "never associate with this person" is bitcoins and you tick that box too so its p. obviously a v. good indicator of idiocy

you know what else is a warning sign? being a goon

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Posting on page The Processor My Friend Had And I Wanted So I Could Play Games

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Sagebrush posted:

you ever dial into your friend's house to play diablo?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

My Linux Rig posted:

you know what else is a warning sign? being a goon

lol you arent wrong there were all in the asylum for a reason i imagine

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Sagebrush posted:

couldn't even get sx from my weird uncle

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

look at this garbage

just look at it

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
Looks better than the iphone, op

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
Two houses, both alike in dignity

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

posting on the coprocessor FPU that is actually just the main CPU page

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

hrm, looks like a double stuf but I guess someone ate one of the cookies already

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

anroid kung fu ice cream

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
pixel 2 XL - design by desiigner

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

instead of really blue this year the pixel will come in kinda blue

i am not kidding

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

LastInLine posted:

instead of really blue this year the pixel will come in kinda blue

i am not kidding
i hope the ghost of miles davis murders every single person in mountain view (sorry, hph)

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I’m the orange button

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
i wonder how many thousands of focus groups and a/b tests goggle had to run to choose that specific shade of orange, roundness of edges, percentage of blackness represented, etc

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
nice colors

for a toy phone

for a baby

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
that makes me feel like the black and white parts are two different materials and getting a very 2008 feel

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

lancemantis posted:

that makes me feel like the black and white parts are two different materials and getting a very 2008 feel

the black is almost certainly glass like in the last phone, for the cellular radios. i guess they're playing into the pixel's one real identifying characteristic, even if it was a characteristic that pretty much everyone hated.

the orange button is loving anyone's guess

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

ynohtna posted:

percentage of blackness represented, etc

oh i think we can figure out how much google cares about this one on our own

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
lol google is actually going through with their purchase of a chunk of htc

the verge posted:

Google is making another big buy into smartphone hardware — or at least the people responsible for creating it. The company has just confirmed that it plans to acquire part of HTC’s mobile division team for $1.1 billion. “These future fellow Googlers are amazing folks we’ve already been working with closely on the Pixel smartphone line, and we're excited to see what we can do together as one team,” Rick Osterloh, Google’s hardware boss, wrote in a blog post. “The deal also includes a non-exclusive license for HTC intellectual property.”

However, HTC will continue onward with its own smartphone business even after sending a good portion of its talent and operations over to Google. HTC CEO Cher Wang said that this agreement will “ensure continued innovation within our HTC smartphone and Vive virtual reality business.” In fact, HTC’s press release reveals that the company is already “actively preparing” for its next flagship smartphone. A major announcement was all but assured Wednesday, when HTC announced it would briefly halt trading on the Taiwan stock exchange ahead of “material information” to come on Thursday (local time).

This is the second time that Google has made a big purchase involving a smartphone manufacturer. Six years ago, Google announced a $12.5 billion buyout of Motorola Mobility. “Together, we will create amazing user experiences that supercharge the entire Android ecosystem for the benefit of consumers, partners and developers everywhere,” said then-Google CEO Larry Page.

Under Google, Motorola opened a US plant and offered unrivaled customization options for its flagship Moto X smartphone. By January of 2014, however, Google had soured on its Motorola acquisition and reached a deal to sell the company off to Lenovo for a fraction of what it had originally paid. The Motorola deal was viewed as a shortcut for Google to obtain valuable patents at a time when litigation was frequently breaking out in the tech industry. But in retrospect, it’s still hard to call the whole thing a success.

• Locked thread