Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
Something nice showed up 1 month before I expected it

e: today 15 sept we celebrate saint Roland. Couldn't make this up :D

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Sep 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

rickiep00h posted:

I went today and... I was pretty underwhelmed on the whole. Not sure if it was because it was Sunday and people cleared out, or if it was just not my bag to walk around and look at a bunch of blinking lights that didn't seem hooked up to anything, or what. Maybe I'm just not one for the community.

The thing I noodled with the most was, indeed, the SE-02, which was alright but is clearly not a jamming machine because of those knobs and switches. I thought the Digitakt was okay, and the UI is easier to navigate than the Octatrack by far, but it's still not, like, user-friendly. I liked the build quality, buttons, screen, etc, though.

Anyway, I'll try to go on Saturday next year; I'm not sure I feel like I got as much out of it as I could have. Nobody else seemed like they were having any fun, either. Hell, the Dave Smith booth was literally an unmanned table with a Prophet, an OB-6, and something else that I can't even remember.

Knobcon on Sunday afternoon is like Vegas the morning after the bachelor party. Everyone's exhausted, hungover, and kind of sleepwalking through it. Definitely try to go Friday and Sat if you're going to do it!

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Mutable has killed off Braids as part of Olivier's continuing meltdown over that Tony Ronaldo comment. He's hinting at killing other modules too, so I imagine a Clouds isn't long for this world.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Tayter Swift posted:

Mutable has killed off Braids as part of Olivier's continuing meltdown over that Tony Ronaldo comment. He's hinting at killing other modules too, so I imagine a Clouds isn't long for this world.

Wait, what did I miss?

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Yeah what did he say? A quick google search is giving me nothing

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
https://www.facebook.com/mutable.instruments/photos/a.204952146286200.45143.204949496286465/1406693339445402/?type=3&theater

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
There was a panel earlier this year at I think Superbooth or NAMM with Rolando, among others, lamenting about alternate modes and basically inconsistency of knobs and button functions:

https://youtu.be/n1MfU1YThtc

Olivier seems to have taken it rather personally, and this year has killed Peaks and now Braids. Olivier also gave an interview earlier this year where he called Clouds a "mistake" and removed documentation on its alternate modes for a minute before restoring it with this little gem added in

Only registered members can see post attachments!

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
Maybe he should've kept making Shruthis and Ambikas then. :colbert:

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Tayter Swift posted:

Olivier seems to have taken it rather personally, and this year has killed Peaks and now Braids. Olivier also gave an interview earlier this year where he called Clouds a "mistake" and removed documentation on its alternate modes for a minute before restoring it with this little gem added in

based on other comments he's made about clouds, i think he probably already felt that way about it and the tony rolando comments were just salt in the wound

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Tayter Swift posted:

There was a panel earlier this year at I think Superbooth or NAMM with Rolando, among others, lamenting about alternate modes and basically inconsistency of knobs and button functions:

https://youtu.be/n1MfU1YThtc

Lol what a thin-skinned bitch

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
the dumbest part of all this is that tony rolando put those god awful buttons on maths that switch get their state reset every power cycle and he wants to talk poo poo about modes :smugdog:

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

One of my friends used to work for the local modular shop and the way he talked, dealing with the module-makers was both the best and worst part of the job. Best because they are all genuinely really clever and creative people, worst because they're all catty and emotionally fragile. I know he hated dealing with Tony back when MN was still small enough that he had much interaction with even the major dealers because he was "squirrely as gently caress" sometimes. He said the one who gave them the most headaches was the guy who runs Expert Sleepers, because he's announced new versions of the Disting every time they've put in a healthy order of the current version, without fail.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

the dumbest part of all this is that tony rolando put those god awful buttons on maths that switch get their state reset every power cycle and he wants to talk poo poo about modes :smugdog:

Pop quiz how do you make a tempo synced triangle LFO on the 0-Coast

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Tayter Swift posted:

Open the manual and follow the instructions! :science:

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
f

Tayter Swift posted:

tempo . . . synced? wait you mean this shits all supposed to be in time to gether? gimme a minute here :ohdear:

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

Tayter Swift posted:

It turns out that the electribe 2 Part FX button sends out exactly the right MIDI cc to route to a triangle LFO to the 0-Coast oscillator instead of sending pitches from the MIDI channel. :doh:

Or did you mean: flip the unit upside down to look at the cheat sheet, hold MIDI A until the light stays on, press the button some more, flip the unit upside down again because you pressed the wrong number of times, try to remember the difference between lights "flashing" and lights "pulsing", not touch it in weeks.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
It's simple

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V82qIxT2uow

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

wait wait makenoise of all mfgs has the gall to complain about obtuseness

the company that has greyscale making alternate panels because gently caress dealing with unreadable script and wobbly arrows all the time

shame though, people buy your product and use it wrong? the only question should be "am i earning money with this". oh well luckily all that poo poo is fully open source so if i want a braids i could build one

olivier posted on gearslutz a few times and seemed to have his poo poo together businesswise, wonder what happened

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Yeah MN poo poo is way too hip for its own good he shouldn't be commenting about anything.

Post coffee edit:
I do applaud MI's commitment to releasing stuff CC but looking at the cottage industry of clones that have sprung up makes me wonder if that's had any impact on sales/his morale. Blue lanterns doing whole runs of the things.

Startyde fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Sep 16, 2017

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

i never understood the mn font hate but im the type f synthesist to memorize what every knob does so i aint gotta read em just try and figure out where theyre plugged in and what theyre actually doing lol

like, i get where tonys coming from, personlly i find a lot of mutable's digital modules to be the kind of things i got into modular to avoid but like, have some tact dude! :cmon:

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I'm looking for a new place to upload my space farts to. I'm out of room on my Soundcloud, and the service is not great due to tons of spam bots, so I don't really want to pay for premium. One thing it did do that I liked over other services is it saved me a ton of steps in my workflow. I can just shove a wav file into it and it will handle compression and conversion. I'm not looking to particularly master any of these tracks, they are just me tinkering around and sharing with a few friends and sometimes here. Does anyone have any good alternatives for uploading basically 30 seconds to 30 minute audio sketches?

edit: I'm also nervous about using more Soundcloud because I keep hearing rumors of them going under.

I found this site, it looks kind of like old soundcloud. Here's a space fart to test it: https://clyp.it/kznp0qum

I might get a camera setup and just record video for youtube eventually. My production space is in weird corner of a room that would make it hard, so I have to figure that out first.

edit again: Normally I'm driven nuts by the modules that save their state poorly when I power cycle. This time I was impressed, the above sketch turned into this when I powered up my synth a few minutes ago: https://clyp.it/0jrdbqyx

Chainclaw fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Sep 17, 2017

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
Bandcamp? Then you can even sell it, I wish Soundcloud would allow that.

Or just randomly generate some 3D fractal video/background picture with EQ and upload it to Youtube.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Man does the Xaoc Drezno ever rule. Here it is as some sort of multiband proecessor:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BZIdPoFgaTD/

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Synth Thread,

Is there a way to Tangerine Dream style ratcheting (to produce those rhythmic trills on the sequencer) without needing an entire wall of modular moneysink?

Example here;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgkF2hTO8Y0

I have ordered two volcas (bass and keys) and am thinking of getting a microbrute at some point.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
1: pump a monophonic MIDI sequence through an arpeggiator device/plugin, automating/controlling the arpeggiation divisions/beat durations.

2: similar, but in the audio domain with the monophonic audio fed through a gate/VCA/filter being modulated by a LFO or repeating env that's switched between tempo-related durations.

3: if you have a Mac, then Numerology (plus an optional LaunchPad for hardware control) is the best sequencer investment as it gives you as many ratchetable, complex parallel sequencers with limitless inter-modulation possibilities as you could ever want.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

clock dividers are usually pretty small modules, there's i think 2 Dopefer ones that are 4hp and the RCD from 4ms is 4hp as well ;)

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

clock dividers are usually pretty small modules, there's i think 2 Dopefer ones that are 4hp and the RCD from 4ms is 4hp as well ;)
:yeah:

Also really easy and low on components to breadboard up, they go really well with a VC switch (also easy to DIY) for sequencing the sub-divisions.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

ynohtna posted:

:yeah:

Also really easy and low on components to breadboard up, they go really well with a VC switch (also easy to DIY) for sequencing the sub-divisions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYYdQB0mkEU

:confuoot:

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Startyde posted:

I do applaud MI's commitment to releasing stuff CC but looking at the cottage industry of clones that have sprung up makes me wonder if that's had any impact on sales/his morale. Blue lanterns doing whole runs of the things.

When GMSN did a run of DIY kits to sell, oliver was like 'ehhh that kind of wasnt the point of this, I wish you wouldn't, but i wont stop you'
So I will assume he's not very happy about blue lantern doing cheaper, smaller actual production runs.

I find most make noise stuff complex in a way that encourages experimentation, but seriously gently caress my RENE. trying to do something more complex than a basic step sequencer is an excersize in flicking through the manual for ages, never quite sure if i'm doing it or not, and oops now i've just recalled a preset so it's pulling knob positions from memory and ignoring their actual settings and whoops I forgot to save it so now i'm in a different scale next time I turn it on. I can set something up with it, turn my modular off then back on, and it is behaving completely differently. thats not good design.

edit:
https://www.facebook.com/pg/mutable.instruments/videos/?ref=page_internal
2 years ago oliver teased this board bring up video, which still isnt out - but someone spotted it alongside another new one in richard devines rack

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Sep 18, 2017

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

cubicle gangster posted:

When GMSN did a run of DIY kits to sell, oliver was like 'ehhh that kind of wasnt the point of this, I wish you wouldn't, but i wont stop you'
So I will assume he's not very happy about blue lantern doing cheaper, smaller actual production runs.

The blue lantern versions are so offensively ugly and un-ergonomic that I can't imagine he really cares too much about them.

re: ratcheting: That's usually something you use a clock multiplier for, not divider, right? Doepfer even mentioned Tangerine Dream specifically in the docs for the A-160-5

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

good jovi posted:

The blue lantern versions are so offensively ugly and un-ergonomic that I can't imagine he really cares too much about them.

and the GMSN were DIY only... but they were being sold. he kept it open source so people could learn, not re sell.
you're right that he's probably over it by now. this is the 3rd or 4th clouds clone that's being sold.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
they were DIY-only, but they also converted the design to use through-hole components, which is a non-trivial amount of work. to me, that somehow seems more legitimate than, say, just straight up selling the PCBs.

at the end of the day, if it was hurting his business in a substantial way, i doubt he would be making his designs open source. the blue lantern clones are so hideous, especially compared to how clean the retail panels are :barf: and, of course, with them being open-source and DIYable, people have an avenue to get these modules even after they're discontinued, so it's a win for the community as well.

e:

cubicle gangster posted:

gently caress my RENE

i hate the same things about my rene, but i still keep coming back to it. most other sequencers i've tried either aren't as immediate (which is really important to me) or are more limited in ways that annoy me (e.g. metropolis only having 8 steps (modulo repeats))

a lot of people have the same complaint about Maths V2, since the cycle buttons are 'soft' and don't retain their on/off state after powering off.

Mr. Glass fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Sep 18, 2017

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Mother 32 has ratcheting built in

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

Mr. Glass posted:

a lot of people have the same complaint about Maths V2, since the cycle buttons are 'soft' and don't retain their on/off state after powering off.

the sport mod is so much worse cuz its got two buttons per channel :[]

like its prob my favorite module but those stupid buttons are really irritating and the random source SSG isnt really comparable, since you get to set stepped or smooth per channel on the sport mod d

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
Here's a tutorial for ratcheting with a clock divider instead of a multiplier:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3mf6leaS_g

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
Cross-post from the Ableton thread since this one gets more traffic,

Has anyone else looked at the new Komplete Kontrol Mk2 Keyboard/Workstations? I was really impressed with the DAW control that these have and it made me seriously consider one of the S49's over getting a Push2. I know that the Push2 has much tighter control over Ableton, but I prefer the ability to "play" on a keyboard. Has anyone demo'd one yet? Would be curious to see what others think of the new features.

Here is a cool demo of the new S49:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ECBgxAowig

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I'm almost certainly going to get one of those after my upcoming move unless I hear disastrously awful things about them.

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave

Trig Discipline posted:

Yeah I'm almost certainly going to get one of those after my upcoming move unless I hear disastrously awful things about them.

I dont know if its that awful - but im having a bitch of a time with midi channels to external gear with my MK1. I'm currently battling NI support with this issue; it seems my unit refuses to change midi channel over MIDI USB. To use the DIN output, I actually have to disconnect the USB. There's no way to change channel from the unit; it has to be done via controller editor. I dont think thats changed with the MK2.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

BeigeJacket posted:

... ratcheting ...

I have ordered two volcas (bass and keys)...

You could also fake ratcheting on the volca keys if you close the filter, set the LFO to modulate the filter, turn LFO trigger sync on, and motion record the LFO rate. Saw or square LFO should work fine.

Or turn the tempo way down and manually record your ratchet pattern with flux mode on; flux mode actually just quantizes to 128 notes/bar iirc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Quincy Smallvoice posted:

I dont know if its that awful - but im having a bitch of a time with midi channels to external gear with my MK1. I'm currently battling NI support with this issue; it seems my unit refuses to change midi channel over MIDI USB. To use the DIN output, I actually have to disconnect the USB. There's no way to change channel from the unit; it has to be done via controller editor. I dont think thats changed with the MK2.

I have a 25 key Mk1 and I haven't had a problem with it. I don't have any external gear though, so that may be why.