Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Garcin
Jun 15, 2000
I've tried using recycler grenades in various situations and I always fall back on simply recycling the grenades themselves. I feel the output from putting the grenades in the recycler exceeds what I get from piling up items and using the grenade for it's intended purpose. Recycling excess grenades of all types once I got over 10 helped me max out any ingredient I needed during the game, including max neuromods and max weapon upgrade kits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

I use recycler grenades early on to melt heavy obstructions when I don't have the higher lift skills, but that's about it. Sometimes I'll also use them to safely dispose of nuclear waste barrels.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

The recycler grenades aren't so much to get materials as to remove things that are in your way, like crates, biohazards, or Typhon. The materials are a secondary effect. Think of it more as a cool frag grenade.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

iirc every unpowered door can become powered, sometimes with the Repair skill, sometimes by just finding the right screen and pressing a button

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
Guys, I'm not sure I had two things of JD before...

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

GigaPeon posted:

the liquor cabinet of a normal human being (extreme binge drinkers go through booze on such a regular basis anything around is consumed, and keeping no alcohol in the house is necessary to create a practical brake on consumption)

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Neurosis posted:

the liquor cabinet of a normal human being (extreme binge drinkers go through booze on such a regular basis anything around is consumed, and keeping no alcohol in the house is necessary to create a practical brake on consumption)

Lol same, it took me a long time to realize why some people have liquor cabinets and I for some reason don't :iiam:

Edit: also I very infrequently sleepwalk and last night I got up convinced there was a mimic in the room and I stared at my shoes for a good minute before being like "oh, that's retarded, that's from a video game"

Pharmaskittle fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Sep 16, 2017

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

If I could mimic things I would not use it to rob banks or assassinate people or anything dumb like that.

I would just sneak into people's houses and gently caress with them.

"Wait, there are THREE shoes? How??"

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Neurosis posted:

It's why I don't stock junk food. We all have our vices.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

GigaPeon posted:

smash them with a wrench. It's the only way to be sure.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Guessing that poster has been mimicked by now.

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
Why do they make typhon crew members despawn? GARFIELD LANGLEY! I'll miss you!

I want to see all check marks on my security rosters dammit!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Luckily it seems like "do every *blank*" in prey ticks off at about 95% in case something glitches out.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

So what are some mods I should hold off until the very end. It sees like leverage can be spoofed with recycler grenades. The top level of Repair also seems unnecessary for the majority of the game. Basically, I'm looking to avoid junk upgrades.

E:VVVV I get that, I guess I'm just asking which mods are very low priority?

Brother Tadger fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Sep 16, 2017

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
You can make so many neuromods,I don't think it matters.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

You can certainly do without Dismantle unless you're constantly repairing/fortifying turrets like me. You can put off the Lab Tech skills too unless you're making heavy use of the GLOO Cannon in combat (not just making stairs with it). Once you can manufacture your own Q-Beam ammo it's a more attractive prospect. Wrench skills are a low priority unless you both enjoy using the wrench and plan to invest in Combat Focus.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I just got into this finally and holy poo poo, it's certainly not Prey 2! I didn't look too much into it, just hearing "hey the new Prey game is great" so finding out it was System Shock 3 was pretty funny.

Cojawfee posted:

You can make so many neuromods,I don't think it matters.
So speaking of neuromods. I had like 7 collected, went to first mod my trusty boomstick with one of the weapon upgrades and then while dicking around in the inventory, somehow managed to convert neuromods into weapon upgrades. I now have 8 weapon upgrades instead of 1 and 0 neuromods.

Is this a glitch or did I accidentally use some existing convesion functionality? I wouldn't complain too much normally but I don't have the fabrication plans yet so that kind of sucks.

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING
Question about the Crew Quarters plotline stuff.

Why does the fake cook send you to get the award from "his" room? Is it just a way to lull you into a sense of false security so you'll trust him?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Ignoranus posted:

Why does the fake cook send you to get the award from "his" room? Is it just a way to lull you into a sense of false security so you'll trust him?

I thought it might be a way for the fake cook to convince other people, by having the award.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Ignoranus posted:

he's trying to get you killed, of course. "don't mind the flickering lights, thats not a typhon, just the station's electrics on the fritz."

it's not his fault that you're a walking typhon murdergod.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I liked the door handle surprise and how that got me that one particular achievement.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

buglord posted:

I liked the door handle surprise and how that got me that one particular achievement.

What is this.

Earl of Lavender
Jul 29, 2007

This is not my beautiful house!!

This is not my beautiful wife!!!
Pillbug

Cojawfee posted:

What is this.

I'm guessing the recycler grenade traps the fake cook leaves around and the "recycle yourself" achievement.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Rangpur posted:

Wait, you can move as a Mimic? Like, actually shrink down into a coffee mug and slip through the cracks? Holy poo poo, I love this game.

...Probably going pure human for the first play-through however, since I'm attached to my turret buddies and it lets me turn the majority of Psi-Hypos into sweet, sweet cubes.

You can do more than simply move, although yes you can bounce around as a sentient banana blowing people up with mind bullets if the mood strikes you. But the last level of mimic straight up lets you fly! Which made one of the last parts of the game very funny, dude never expected THAT hahah.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

mobby_6kl posted:

So speaking of neuromods. I had like 7 collected, went to first mod my trusty boomstick with one of the weapon upgrades and then while dicking around in the inventory, somehow managed to convert neuromods into weapon upgrades. I now have 8 weapon upgrades instead of 1 and 0 neuromods.

Is this a glitch or did I accidentally use some existing convesion functionality? I wouldn't complain too much normally but I don't have the fabrication plans yet so that kind of sucks.

That sounds like a bug. It's intended for you to be able to break stuff down and make other things, but you need a recycler and a fabricator both to do so, and the fabrication plans, so it would be pretty hard to do on accident.

Don't worry too much, there are a lot of neuromod fab plans onboard the station, and more mods are not hard to come by.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

double nine posted:

he's trying to get you killed, of course. "don't mind the flickering lights, thats not a typhon, just the station's electrics on the fritz."

it's not his fault that you're a walking typhon murdergod.

Doesn't seem like a great plan considering that if you already killed the telepath in the dining hall to talk to him in the first place, you can probably handle a phantom or two to get to his room

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Whoof. Just ran into my first Weaver while trying to find Josh Dalton in the cargo tunnel. By itself maybe I could have beaten it, but not with those goddamn operators flanking it. I tried to get rid of them with a recycling charge. Turns out grenades are tricky to aim in zero-G!

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
So I was out doing a space walk and got to thinking about the perspective they have set up for outer space. The station obviously rotates yet the moon doesn't move like the stars, sun and earth do. I can give them that if they want to say that the station orbits the moon at just the right speed that it matches the station's rotation, but if that were to occur we would at some point see the dark side of the moon, which we don't.

What I'm trying to say is, game sucks. [/goonsay]

EDIT: I was just impatient, you do see the dark side. Oops

BAILOUT MCQUACK! fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Sep 17, 2017

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I think that the dark side of the moon usually refers to the side that's facing away from Earth (rather than the side that's not sunlit), which is the side that you see from the start of the game

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I'm pretty sure they establish that Talos is at the Earth-Moon L1 Lagrange point, meaning it's stable between the earth and the Moon. Given that this is the case, the moon should always be a stationary frame of reference out of the window because the orbital period is stable and synchronous with the moon. Disclaimer: I am not an astronomer, and I am preeeettty sure that it says somewhere Talos is at Lagrange L1, but there is a real possibility that I am wrong here.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

double nine posted:

smash them with a wrench. It's the only way to be sure.

The wrench also needs to be smacked with a wrench.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Nomadic Scholar posted:

The wrench also needs to be smacked with a wrench.

Wait where did you find that 2nd wrench?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Dyz posted:

Wait where did you find that 2nd wrench?
I came across one recently. In hardware labs I think, I already recycled it though as it didn't seem that you can dual wield them.

E: also just now found one in a toilet in psychotronic labs :v:

aniviron posted:

That sounds like a bug. It's intended for you to be able to break stuff down and make other things, but you need a recycler and a fabricator both to do so, and the fabrication plans, so it would be pretty hard to do on accident.

Don't worry too much, there are a lot of neuromod fab plans onboard the station, and more mods are not hard to come by.
That's what I concluded eventually too, I loaded up recent save and tried to find a way to do it again.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Sep 17, 2017

Vakal
May 11, 2008
You should have been able to clamp each additional wrench you find to one another until you have a giant two-handed battle wrench.

This game sucks and is lame is what I'm saying.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I finally found Josh Dalton. I've been looking for this one guy for what seems like a week. He was constantly just 20-30 meters away but with an impassable wall between us. When I finally found the little alcove where the corpse was floating, I was so goddamn sick of zero-G combat that I recycled his dumb rear end once I had the key card. gently caress you, Josh Dalton.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

and then there's nothing particularly special in the black box room anyway :negative:

gently caress you, Josh Dalton.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
So, what happens if you simply murder everyone as soon as you see them, including January? Like I get that you lose side quests and poo poo but January keeps you on the plot the whole game so if you murder them right away what happens?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

McDragon posted:

and then there's nothing particularly special in the black box room anyway :negative:

gently caress you, Josh Dalton.
Isn't there a replicator code for Q-Beam ammo there? If you do that relatively early, you've suddenly made your Q-Beam a lot more usable instead of just being a thing to whip out for big targets.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

GigaPeon posted:

shaking my head shamefully at this man who has not made use of any yellow post-its as of yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Just got the second upgrade for stealth while beginning my trek in the arboretum and holy poo poo stealth game is good. I also get yelled at for upgrading the silenced pistol. Not like I've got much else to use these kits on until I get gunsmith 2.