Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Jerry Cotton posted:

Wouldn't "both" be also correct?

Whoa looks like we got a smartass here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Someone needs to edit a flat track in place of the logs so it looks like cartoon hysteria.

Lotron
Aug 15, 2006

Still clownin'

This is a very good dude.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Gromit posted:

http://i.imgur.com/N1TlLG9.mp4
Someone needs to edit a flat track in place of the logs so it looks like cartoon hysteria.
Nah, someone needs to edit out the logs totally so she looks like a modern Jesus H. Christ doing the whole walk on water thing.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Delta pilot flies to San Juan to take one last flight out before Irma hits, and flies out between bands of the storm:

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Imagine Dr. Zoidberg whooping away for the proper effect. :zoid:

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I wish I knew anything about airplanes, I can't tell if it's stupidly reckless or an acceptable risk.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

I wish I knew anything about airplanes, I can't tell if it's stupidly reckless or an acceptable risk.

The tricky part as I understand it is the takeoff, as the airframe can handle quite a bit more stress than the layman would think; so once they were safely in the air, it was home free.

That being said, I would be EXTREMELY UNCOMFORTABLE inside this plane.

Trebek
Mar 7, 2002
College Slice

Do you think an airplane on a treadmill would achieve flight?

http://i.imgur.com/o7hJnAg.gifv

Trebek has a new favorite as of 15:24 on Sep 7, 2017

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
You can just fly through them, though I'm not sure if it requires a specially preped plane:

https://twitter.com/NOAA_HurrHunter/status/905184657431506945

https://twitter.com/NOAA_HurrHunter/status/904707845228290048

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

The wiki for the plane says it's not modified to fly through hurricanes, but the decks are reinforced to hold the testing equipment.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...
I'm not sure if this is :hist101: or :kimchi:.
Schoolgirl finds four foot sword in the pond where King Arthur supposedly threw Excalibur.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

He's moving at like 4x the speed of the storm.

For reference:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPNNU4aqccM

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

No one will remember this pilots name but that Sully dumbass hit a seagull and got a Tom Hanks movie out of it

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Big Centipede posted:

No one will remember this pilots name but that Sully dumbass hit a seagull and got a Tom Hanks movie out of it

Just watched this movie last night!

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
https://twitter.com/Aviation_Intel/status/905604331138727937

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Trebek posted:

Do you think an airplane on a treadmill would achieve flight?

http://i.imgur.com/o7hJnAg.gifv

Good lord, how many degrees of rotation was that? :stonk:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Cindy Shitbird posted:

Well, in the end, zero.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!

Cindy Shitbird posted:

https://dirtmountainbike.com/videos/watch-nicholi-rogatkin-lands-worlds-first-1440.html

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

I think this is the plot to a YA novel.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Professional Skier's balance workout

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSNNZNXMzhc

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The floor is lava, hard mode.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

It's easier to fly into a hurricane then a normal thunderstorm. Hurricanes have predictable lateral moving winds, so pilots can adjust to that. Thunderstorms have multiple pockets of air moving upwards and downwards randomly which leads to your plane suddenly dropping.

I still wouldn't loving want to be on a plane in either situation though.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Rube Goldberg descendant?

Rasmus
Jul 13, 2016

I wish I was brian Blessed

I feel like I got a workout just from watching that. Time to eat that burrito.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

As someone who just watched King Arthur: Legend of the Sword this makes me extremely computer generated.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
This Instagram account loving rules:

Lizard Force

Turning mankind into sausages

Jeremy_X
Jul 27, 2006
On flying and storms, can someone remind me of the name of this air phenomena that's like a fist of cold (I think) air that sort of punches down from the sky towards the ground. I'm trying to explain it to a coworker and can't remember the name. I swear I read about it in this thread. I'd just look it up but stuck using my phone and Google won't load.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Jeremy_X posted:

On flying and storms, can someone remind me of the name of this air phenomena that's like a fist of cold (I think) air that sort of punches down from the sky towards the ground. I'm trying to explain it to a coworker and can't remember the name. I swear I read about it in this thread. I'd just look it up but stuck using my phone and Google won't load.

Could be a microburst?

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Jeremy_X posted:

Fist of the north storm

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Wind shear?

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning

Jeremy_X posted:

You're thinking about the poo poo they made up in The Day After Tomorrow where everything freezes in the eye of some superstorm.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Jeremy_X posted:

A fallstreak hole (also known as a hole punch cloud, punch hole cloud, skypunch, cloud canal or cloud hole)

Jeremy_X
Jul 27, 2006

EoinCannon posted:

Could be a microburst?

That's it, thanks.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I got to experience a microburst in Arizona my first year out there. It knocked over trees and was the weirdest thing. Not as scary as driving through a haboob or hiding from a tornado, but still pretty crazy.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Solice Kirsk posted:

I got to experience a microburst in Arizona my first year out there. It knocked over trees and was the weirdest thing. Not as scary as driving through a haboob or hiding from a tornado, but still pretty crazy.

Went through one in Montana. Just hanging out on a normal day when suddenly: everything was on the move, really loving fast and then back to normal but now trees were down, power was out, signs and poles were knocked over.
It was the craziest poo poo.

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
What the gently caress is a haboob

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

el dingo posted:

What the gently caress is a haboob

It looks like a giant fart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU