Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Mister Facetious posted:

Link is an elf, how many times do we need to go through this.

No he isn't he never was bye

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Link is a Hylian, ffs

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Infinitum posted:

Honestly haven't seen many reviews for NBA 2K18 thus far, but thought this was interesting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZ9-tZqaMag

Switch version looks pretty decent? I'm def considering grabbing FIFA when it releases as I've always wanted to get into the series, but never had a PS to play it on.

Something else to keep in mind is the Switch version runs at 30FPS vs 60FPS of the other versions if that bothers you.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Electric Phantasm posted:

Something else to keep in mind is the Switch version runs at 30FPS vs 60FPS of the other versions if that bothers you.

Real tempted to go buy a microsd card for the switch to get this. How big is the game file size and how much space do I need for game saves?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

With HD rumble you'd be able to feel every bean inside those maracas

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

If anyone else is curious, someone has done a PS4/Switch comparison video of Doom. Looks like they made everything a bit/a lot more blurry to compensate but otherwise fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yL50BKFQYRE

Electric Phantasm posted:

And FIFA also doesn't have the new Journey mode this year.

Spacebump posted:

Real tempted to go buy a microsd card for the switch to get this. How big is the game file size and how much space do I need for game saves?

According to Nintendo, you'll need 5GB for the save file, 16.1GB for a software update for both physical/digital versions, and if you get digital you'll have to download another 6.8GB.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

With Doom and KRZ I guess I'll have to buy Switch early next year. :suicide:

Any Doom amiibos?

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

SelenicMartian posted:

With Doom and KRZ I guess I'll have to buy Switch early next year. :suicide:

Any Doom amiibos?

you can play Doom right now on various better looking and controlling systems for about a third of the price of the switch version, dude

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE
Octopath when?

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

I guess I gotta go buy Doom on the Switch then

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

StabMasterArson posted:

you can play Doom right now on various better looking and controlling systems for about a third of the price of the switch version, dude

Not on the go

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

StabMasterArson posted:

I've already 100%-ed the campaign on the PC. I want Doom on the go.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

StabMasterArson posted:

This. This is the poo poo we should be asking "when are we gonna cut this poo poo out?"

The answer is always the same. People wanna play poo poo on the go. Also, I'm sure I'm not the only one who only owns a Switch. I have no PC, XBone, or PS4.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Mahoning posted:

This. This is the poo poo we should be asking "when are we gonna cut this poo poo out?"

This and smug goons telling me to just build a computer to play the old games I want to play on some emulator. I don't want to do that poo poo.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

StabMasterArson posted:

What system that can play Doom is a third of the price of a Switch?

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I haven't played Doom but I see a lot of people raving about it so for those who do, what makes it a better FPS than most others out there?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Guy Goodbody posted:

What system that can play Doom is a third of the price of a Switch?

It goes on sale pretty often, my digital copy was like 15 bucks. New at target is like 19.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

StabMasterArson posted:

stop being mad

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

dude

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Frankston posted:

I haven't played Doom but I see a lot of people raving about it so for those who do, what makes it a better FPS than most others out there?

It uses a design philosophy way different than most "cinematic" FPSes which trace their lineage from CoD/Half-Life. It is all about extreme mobility and hyper-aggressive combat encounters with a total rejection of stationary cover-based firefights

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsoVQWnSOfM

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Policenaut posted:

If anyone else is curious, someone has done a PS4/Switch comparison video of Doom. Looks like they made everything a bit/a lot more blurry to compensate but otherwise fine.

And FIFA also doesn't have the new Journey mode this year.

According to Nintendo, you'll need 5GB for the save file, 16.1GB for a software update for both physical/digital versions, and if you get digital you'll have to download another 6.8GB.

can't really do a decent comparison with the direct footage... thats all anyone has.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Frankston posted:

It has a gratifying weapon and upgrade system, the little bit of storyline happens over a cumulative minute or two. It's just the right amount of silly. Its fun is consistent, I actually enjoy when more enemies spawn because they're so fun to take out, and as you progress your guns get bigger and enemies more plentiful. Lots of little secrets to hunt for if you want.

Oh yeah incredible music.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Frankston posted:

RIP AND TEAR, that's what

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Frankston posted:

It's an FPS where the best way to heal up from serious injuries is to dash into the middle of the fray and go to town with a chainsaw.

Mind, it gets repetitive near the end where you've seen all enemies, and the only surprises left are the deadliest combinations of the fuckers.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
My favorite part was when I upgraded my minigun so that each barrel is another minigun.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

SelenicMartian posted:

It's an FPS where the best way to heal up from serious injuries is to dash into the middle of the fray and go to town with a chainsaw.

Mind, it gets repetitive near the end where you've seen all enemies, and the only surprises left are the deadliest combinations of the fuckers.

No the chainsaw only gives ammo, the best way to heal up is to shoot an enemy until they're almost dead and then RIP THEIR loving JAW (or the closest thing they have to one) OFF WITH YOUR BARE HANDS.

Doom loving owns.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Frankston posted:

You stop moving you die like a bitch, and moving feels extremely good
You stop shooting you die like a simp, and you have tons of guns and shooting feels incredible
You rip and tear until it's done

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Frankston posted:

It doesn't gently caress around with story, cutscenes and dumb characters you don't like. The gameplay is fast and rewarding, requiring you to constantly think on your feet and one mistake will spell death. It's really fun and there's no lulls in gameplay.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

njsykora posted:

No the chainsaw only gives ammo, the best way to heal up is to shoot an enemy until they're almost dead and then RIP THEIR loving JAW (or the closest thing they have to one) OFF WITH YOUR BARE HANDS.

Doom loving owns.
And you can get an upgrade and level up its skill to let you rip jaws off faster.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

Vikar Jerome posted:

can't really do a decent comparison with the direct footage... thats all anyone has.

Yeah that video is worthless

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Policenaut posted:

Remember when people were speculating that the Switch was hiding some trojan PS5-level hardware inside

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

no

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Spellman posted:

Remember when people were speculating that the Switch was hiding some trojan PS5-level hardware inside
no

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Spellman posted:

Nope

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Spellman posted:

It was you speculating alone in your room.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
I don't expect everyone to remember, but Spellman isn't talking out of his rear end. This speculation was discussed in old NX threads several times.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

i think the most anybody ever thought was that it would be just below xbone levels

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Reddits Nintendo threads were all over the "close to parity with xbone" train. Constant links and speculation.

Frankly and since most people don't really take advantage of the portability of the switch, I am hoping we get (1) dock mode only titles [since the choice between dock mode and no switch edition is probably a regular situation companies have faced] and (2) a pro dock with its own more powerful hardware for higher quality textures etc.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

IIRC doesn't Minecraft on Switch have higher visual fidelity when docked?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Ventana posted:

I don't expect everyone to remember, but Spellman isn't talking out of his rear end. This speculation was discussed in old NX threads several times.
Nah.

• Locked thread