Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
There never were any good excuses for DUI, but these days literally everywhere is a $10 Uber ride away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I feel like you have to be trying after your first.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

LingcodKilla posted:

I feel like you have to be trying after your first.
One is maybe an accident. Two is definitely a portent of a deeper problem.

He also didn't have the interlock installed that the court ordered him to have, so that's a misdemeanor on its own.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
When I was stuck in rehab the counselor told me that one blackout is normal but if you have two you have substance abuse issues.

That's two in your whole life. Like when I was 17 and didn't know my tolerance and when I was 23 and just got back from deployment. That fact alone made me an alcoholic.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

So... passing out is just fine right?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

That sounds very arbitrary?

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

When I was stuck in rehab the counselor told me that one blackout is normal but if you have two you have substance abuse issues.

That's two in your whole life. Like when I was 17 and didn't know my tolerance and when I was 23 and just got back from deployment. That fact alone made me an alcoholic.

Your councilor sounds like they had a big ol stick in their rear end from never getting invited to ragers

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
that seems llike a really low number. i used to black out 2 times a week and i only mildly hosed my life from alcohol. if two in your life is the standard then i should be sucking dick and stealing copper for money.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I almost failed the entire program because I refused to agree with him and he was using that as his standard to call me a substance abuser.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Yeah, that's a dumb criteria. I used to get black out drunk once a week when I was younger, but then never drank during the week.

This is not indicative of good life choices but it's not like that solely makes you a burden on society.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

tastefully arranged labia posted:

this should be the cole thread again

he makes poor life decisions

we all made poor life choices

like being born tbh

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

That's retarded.

I don't get that drunk any more because I'm an old, but it would be at least every New Years up to my mid-30s, and once or twice a year in addition to that up until I was 30.

And it's not that I don't like getting completely poleaxed anymore, but in your early 40s, the feeling you experience for the next couple of days is not loving worth it.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Memento posted:

And it's not that I don't like getting completely poleaxed anymore, but in your early 40s, the feeling you experience for the next couple of days is not loving worth it.

oh yeah this

I've never had a blackout though

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I once woke up in a field on Fort Ord tied to a chair after a hell of drinking session with some peeps.
A paramedic considerably less drunk than me was on a cot right behind me for my sitter.
Apparently it's hard but not impossible to choke on your vomit in an upright position.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?
I'm pretty sure everybody that ever got sent to Korea qualifies as a substance abuser, then. It cracked me up when time came around for PHAs and every single person except for the loving Mormons lied, "Oh no I definitely don't have more than 4 drinks in one sitting."

Gotta say, running an IV and then hitting up a diner for some A+ greasy lovely breakfast is a game-changer. Wake up (way too early), run a 1L bag of NS and sip on a sports drink, shamble your way to a breakfast joint and stuff your face, go back to bed and collapse for 2-3 more hours. poo poo's like magic.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

loving username post combo right there

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Memento posted:

That's retarded.

I don't get that drunk any more because I'm an old, but it would be at least every New Years up to my mid-30s, and once or twice a year in addition to that up until I was 30.

I've only been black out drunk a few times. I got blackout drunk on my cruise in May. It took the entire next day til drat near dinner for me to feel like I wasn't dying. that was the first time since I was 23 (I'm 29 now). Before that, I was 17.

I'm such an alcoholic.

Truthfully it's because the times I drink are so few and far between even in my late teens and early 20s that I have no tolerance whatsoever.

Plus I loving HATE the taste of all alcohol unless it's the fruitiest kool aid tasting drink you can find. So literally the only purpose for me to ever drink is to get drunk, otherwise I'm just sipping on something that tastes like poo poo.

Apparently that made me look like even more of an alcoholic.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Stopped drinking liquor when I realized I was wasting half my off time recovering from hangovers. I also cannot stand throwing up so I just stick to lower alcohol beverages like beer or wine.

Sweet poo poo is gross, grow up and get a little sophistication and drink wine. I recommend Boones myself.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Memento posted:

That's retarded.

The problem is that alcohol abuse is so widely accepted that when we apply the same standard to it as to other substances, everyone freaks out.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

lightpole posted:

Stopped drinking liquor when I realized I was wasting half my off time recovering from hangovers. I also cannot stand throwing up so I just stick to lower alcohol beverages like beer or wine.

Sweet poo poo is gross, grow up and get a little sophistication and drink wine. I recommend Boones myself.

Boones is the thunderbird of wine.

There's a lot of sub $20 bottles of wine that are way better than boones.

I've been enjoying a variety of reds from South American countries. It's been fun.

Warning- if you get drunk on wine drink plenty of water and a Gatorade before bed, with a few aspirin. You'll feel less lovely the next day.

Wine hangovers are.. terrible.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Warning- if you get drunk on wine drink plenty of water and a Gatorade before bed, with a few aspirin. You'll feel less lovely the next day.

Almost as bad as Guinness.

Syrian Lannister fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Sep 19, 2017

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Boones is the thunderbird of wine.

There's a lot of sub $20 bottles of wine that are way better than boones.

I've been enjoying a variety of reds from South American countries. It's been fun.

Thunderbird is the Thunderbird of wine.

Boone's is basically Bartles and James in a 750.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Syrian Lannister posted:

Almost as bad as Guinness.

Just Guinness doesn't give me a hangover at all. If I drink anything else though....

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Warning- if you get drunk on wine drink plenty of water and a Gatorade before bed, with a few aspirin.

This is solid advice for ANY serious bender. If you can put down a glass of water with every two drinks or so, you'll almost never get a hangover.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Pedialyte > gatorade

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Godholio posted:

Pedialyte > gatorade

Seconded. That poo poo's designed to get you better after being heavily dehydrated, not just act as a slightly more effective version of water.

The worst hangover I ever had involved zero alcohol, but after being outside in 105 heat all day for a music festival that wasn't responsible enough to have water on hand, I felt like I'd gone 12 rounds with a handle of Old Crow. Proved to me that the key to not having a hangover involves hydration and vitamins, and maybe some NSAIDs if your stomach can handle them.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
You guys sound like TCC over booze. Like seriously some of your posts sounds just like the loving Jooze thread. Get help.

"Nah my dude that psychologist doesn't know what they're talking about, I've blacked out every week through my twenties and I'm fine! It's the ARMY that hosed me up! Does anyone know where I can score more booze?"

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Wasabi the J posted:

You guys sound like TCC over booze. Like seriously some of your posts sounds just like the loving Jooze thread. Get help.

"Nah my dude that psychologist doesn't know what they're talking about, I've blacked out every week through my twenties and I'm fine! It's the ARMY that hosed me up! Does anyone know where I can score more booze?"

literally no one said that

like, no one at all

ever

said that

evil_bunnY posted:

The problem is that alcohol abuse is so widely accepted that when we apply the same standard to it as to other substances, everyone freaks out.

But this is 100% right, and we have a serious problem in this country of people who get completely shitfaced every weekend but "lol it's alcohol who cares Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi"

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
It was a hyperbole.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
Speaking of DUI's: https://www.duicentral.com/blog/2013/01/07/most-duis-from-one-person/

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

quote:

Appropriately nicknamed, “Mr. DUI,” Jerry Zeller is rumored to have racked up an astonishing 30+ DUI arrests. Officials are unsure of the actual amount. It seems that the only thing that was able to keep Mr. DUI from driving drunk again was his death in 2008. Zeller fell asleep with a lit cigarette which caused the house fire that eventually killed him.

Rumor has it that alcohol played a part in the incident

Gee, you think?

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

I've been blackout drunk more times than I can remember. I started to sleep walk because hiding alcoholism and mixing it with sleeping pills is a bad idea. I once woke up, walked to the corner of the hallway, pissed on my father in laws Christmas card, went into bed and tried to sleep. I only know this because my wife heard me peeing and woke up and started yelling at me because I just shrugged my shoulders and fell back into the bed. Like literally fell. I came to standing up with her yelling at me and I just didn't know what the gently caress was happening.

Beer and booze is fun sometimes, many times I wish I hadn't done things. My going away video had mention of me walking confidently up to a woman and giving her my friends number because we were talking about her and they were looking at each other. She called him. To explain that she was married. And her husband had just left to go to the bathroom.

Edit: hats not bragging by the way. I'm ashamed of what I did drunk. Especially to the things I still don't know.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
confirming pedialyte loving owns. its the only way i can function the next day after pretending im 22 again

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Scroll down to the comments and you'll find a link to an old Freep page with the following (supposedly from 2 Dec. 2003):

quote:

ANDERSON, Ind. (AP) -- A 74-year-old Anderson man who's been arrested at least 400 times for drunken driving was sentenced Monday to 17 years in prison for his latest drunken driving conviction.

Virldeen Redmon was arrested in July for driving even though his license had been suspended for life.

His latest conviction was on charges of driving while intoxicated, endangering a person and driving while suspended.

Police have been arresting Redmon since 1947, including three times since June. He's had his driver's license suspended for life five times.

In 1996, a judge sentenced Redmon to 9-1/2 years in prison. That sentence was reduced in 2001 and he was released after a doctor testified that Redmon suffers from health problems.

I have no idea if this is bullshit or not. This article appears to have been mirrored on a number of other sites from that timeframe, though, and at least one local news site has an obituary for the same guy from 2007. :stare:

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Wasabi the J posted:

:allears:

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Whole lot of defensive high functioning alcoholics itt

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Alcoholism and military service seem connected somehow.

I wonder why that is.

:)

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Oh I'm not poking fun at you for being alcoholics, I understand that part, I'm poking fun at being so defensive about it :v:

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Whole lot of defensive high functioning alcoholics itt

I believe you'll find that the first stage of alcoholism is admitting you have a problem, so these fine folks all check out as perfectly healthy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Wasabi the J posted:

p sure the post you're referring to was just mocking some counselor at Booze Camp, not a licensed psychologist, who said getting blackout drunk twice in your life means you're an alcoholic, which seems like it's overstating the case even to someone who's never blacked out.

now, the fact that this person was in rehab to begin with would tend to indicate that they're an alcoholic and maybe the well-meaning twit was just trying to convince them using alternative facts